Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭JabbaTheHut

mossie wrote: »
    Just a follow up. Anyone have experience of Ivertec, Nuwave or Nova. I'm in North Cork Kanturk / Newmarket and these seem to be my alternatives
    I have experience with Nova. With them 3 years, and apart from a issue that lasted a month, about a year in, I can't say too much bad about them. If there is outages, they have novastatus.net that you cab check, and they're pretty quick to sort out any issue. I signed up with Imagine about 3 weeks ago, and then discovered Nova had a package, Supernopva, that I was unaware of, that was faster, cheaper and unlimited, compared to what I had. I cancelled Imagine, and stayed with Nova. I'm getting about 30 of the 50 meg, but I'm ok with that. 12 month contract as opposed to Imagines 2 year. I can't say Imagine was bad either, but I didn't like that I could not access the router they supplied. The 2 year lock in wasn't to my liking either. And some reports here made me wary of their service going forward

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,152 ✭✭✭heavydawson

Just a follow up. Anyone have experience of Ivertec, Nuwave or Nova. I'm in North Cork Kanturk / Newmarket and these seem to be my alternatives

I'm in Tipperary, and have been with Nova for 2.5 years. Work from home 2-3 days a week so decent connection was important. They do have the very rare outage, but as another poster commented, just check novastatus.net.
    The only gripe I have with them is about the tech they use. It's fine for general internet browsing or any sort of mostly one-way traffic, but it doesn't do very well at video-conferencing as the link is half-duplex.
    Ultimately I ended up getting a Vodafone mobile broadband in addition to Nova.
    I've got a router that both ISPs go through and all my video conferencing traffic goes via Vodafone, which is full duplex (but capped at 150GB/Month)

So for general purpose internet/streaming, Nova are great (which is why I still use them for everything but video-conference). I'm also able to use the Vodafone connection as a backup in the event of a Nova outage.
    If video-conferencing is a requirement for you, Nova alone may not be the right option.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 Tomripley

Hey guys. Thanks one mega thread and way to much to look through. I Live in area they state covered by their new masts. speeds up to 150mb. It is worth it i dont mind a drop off during busy times down to 50mb thats still okay but do they deliever. Ive not ordered as of yet. Im on the fence thinking about it. What say you people of the interweb??

Tomripley wrote: »
    Hey guys. Thanks one mega thread and way to much to look through. I Live in area they state covered by their new masts. speeds up to 150mb. It is worth it i dont mind a drop off during busy times down to 50mb thats still okay but do they deliever. Ive not ordered as of yet. Im on the fence thinking about it. What say you people of the interweb??
    Well, my speeds were usually around the 70mb mark. Pings around 20ms. I disregard the "up to" stuff. They could calim up to 10 tb a sec, but deliver 1mb, and still say it's up to. You get what you get. If you think it suits you, give it a go for 14 days. Cancel if it's not what you're after.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

#WTF?

So they came and yep connected!

8402619226.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

god's toy wrote: »
    #WTF?

So they came and yep connected!

8402619226.png

what mast is that off ?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dashoonage wrote: »
    what mast is that off ?

that's probably the fastest Imagine speedtest I've seen, the service would be great if it worked like that all the time for everyone. Your incredibly lucky to be seeing those speeds, lots of Imagine customers aren't even getting 10% of those speeds.

dashoonage wrote: »
    what mast is that off ?

I got a sneaky photo of his laptop when they were at there van and it says its connecting too 'Ballintombay'

Very quick install with no pole needed at all, :) gave me extra cable in case it needed to be raised a little. I know its gonna drop big time in speed terms but anything more than 10 mb makes me happy.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Just got this text and was wondering how long it took people to get connected after receiving one of these texts.

Local Broadband Update - Hi, great news, we are upgrading our national network to 5G ready Fixed Broadband, delivering Superfast Broadband Speeds, Unlimited Data and Smarter Wi-Fi. Engineers will be optimising your service on the 16th July 2019 which involves switching your broadband connection off between 8am and 6pm. These times are the worse case as the engineers work to keep your downtime to a minimum. Thanks, imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I have experience with Nova. With them 3 years, and apart from a issue that lasted a month, about a year in, I can't say too much bad about them. If there is outages, they have novastatus.net that you cab check, and they're pretty quick to sort out any issue. I signed up with Imagine about 3 weeks ago, and then discovered Nova had a package, Supernopva, that I was unaware of, that was faster, cheaper and unlimited, compared to what I had. I cancelled Imagine, and stayed with Nova. I'm getting about 30 of the 50 meg, but I'm ok with that. 12 month contract as opposed to Imagines 2 year. I can't say Imagine was bad either, but I didn't like that I could not access the router they supplied. The 2 year lock in wasn't to my liking either. And some reports here made me wary of their service going forward

Just been on to Nova and even though they cover my area when I have them my Eircode that failed their test so that's another one gone.

• Advertisement

Just been on to Nova and even though they cover my area when I have them my Eircode that failed their test so that's another one gone.

Aw balls. Kinda getting more and more narrow a choice for you.

Aw balls. Kinda getting more and more narrow a choice for you.

Yeah, Ivertec probably last hope I think. Then it's wait for fibre and God knows how long today will take.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Yeah, Ivertec probably last hope I think. Then it's wait for fibre and God knows how long today will take.

Friend of mine had IVERTEC few years ago , Killarney area , it was very decent he reckons.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Current speed
    Barrackcroghan mast north wexford
    51 down 7 up
    Perfectly usable for most things

alec76 wrote: »
    Friend of mine had IVERTEC few years ago , Killarney area , it was very decent he reckons.

I've heard the same.

listermint wrote: »
    I don't believe so. You may be able to bridge it but would have to talk to imagine support for that.

Let us know what the outcome is.
    I should have posted this earlier. Replacing the Imagine with your own router will not work. It seems the antenna and router share firmware, which means they need both to work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

I should have posted this earlier. Replacing the Imagine with your own router will not work. It seems the antenna and router share firmware, which means they need both to work

I found the same allright mines a Gemtek from Imagine. No way to put it into bridge mode. Instead my Linksys Velop is in bridge mode which is annoying as you loose all the extra functionality of it.
    Anyway not much longer to go now since FTTH is on order. Can wait to get rid of Imagine although its been a good stop gap but thats all. Speeds drop in the evening sometimes as low as 2mb.

Anyone have problems making changes to the wifi names? I edit them but only one sticks to the router.

Thanks

oh and the range of the router is better than eir.

alec76 wrote: »

Ivertec should be in a position to give me a connection in early September assuming they can get a signal of course

Ivertec should be in a position to give me a connection in early September assuming they can get a signal of course

If all else fails,how far are you from someone that does have a fibre connection ?
    If you've a line of sight to them within a few Km for a few 100 euros in equipment
    you could share their connection via a point to point on your rooftops
    You could even do it on an imagine connection if someone can actually get it nearby
    Just do a deal with them on their fibre or imagine
    Lots of people thinking outside the box like that
    PM me if you want some more info

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    If all else fails,how far are you from someone that does have a fibre connection ?
    If you've a line of sight to them within a few Km for a few 100 euros in equipment
    you could share their connection via a point to point on your rooftops
    You could even do it on an imagine connection if someone can actually get it nearby
    Just do a deal with them on their fibre or imagine
    Lots of people thinking outside the box like that
    PM me if you want some more info

Nearest fibre probably 4km, don't know anyone with imagine nearby, so far anyway. Thanks anyway, I'll bear it in mind but I think I could run into the same problems I did with imagine. The only houses in line of sight are directly across the road and they probably have the same issue with getting it.

I did have Ripplecom wireless before but the installer had a job getting a signal. He was just about able to get line of sight between 2 farm buildings on a hill but the mast wasn't the closest and signal suffered from time to time.

Speed test just now 54 down 7.6 up
    Also attached is my view of the barrackcroghan mast approximately 6kms to my west

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Who do I phone to get my house connected to internet. I have no phone line in but the ducting is underground to the front of my site. Countryside location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Speed test just now 54 down 7.6 up
    Also attached is my view of the barrackcroghan mast approximately 6kms to my west

Has does one do a speed test

kingbhome wrote: »
    Has does one do a speed test

www.speedtest.net on your pc
    Use the app on your phone but be beside the router if connected to wifi

As for the question on a new connection,punch an eircode from the next door house in this link first or one for where you are building if you have one to see if you have fibre
    If you dont investigate other options as rural landline broadband can be very slow

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

www.speedtest.net on your pc
    Use the app on your phone but be beside the router if connected to wifi

As for the question on a new connection,punch an eircode from the next door house in this link first or one for where you are building if you have one to see if you have fibre
    If you dont investigate other options as rural landline broadband can be very slow

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

When speedtesting use the same server each time, it removes any discrepancy that might be caused by different servers over multiple tests

Shane_ef wrote: »
    When speedtesting use the same server each time, it removes any discrepancy that might be caused by different servers over multiple tests

It might not! A server could just be congested whereas another less so
    Testing on a server with less bandwidth will not accurately reflect your own in my experience

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Psygnosis wrote: »
    I found the same allright mines a Gemtek from Imagine. No way to put it into bridge mode. Instead my Linksys Velop is in bridge mode which is annoying as you loose all the extra functionality of it.
    Anyway not much longer to go now since FTTH is on order. Can wait to get rid of Imagine although its been a good stop gap but thats all. Speeds drop in the evening sometimes as low as 2mb.

There is no way to bridge from your perspective. My initial point was that the router is locked down. The support groups would have access to such permissions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

listermint wrote: »
    There is no way to bridge from your perspective. My initial point was that the router is locked down. The support groups would have access to such permissions.

Have people successfully got imagine to do this? I am unable to use my smart dns without having double NAT issues.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Zagato wrote: »
    Have people successfully got imagine to do this? I am unable to use my smart dns without having double NAT issues.
    Not with the standard CPE equipment .You could try to convince customer care to supply you specific radio ( one without the router ,only PoE injector at the user’s end ) .I’ve definitely read about it here, took him about 6 months of talk to get it , if not mistaken.

Advertisement