Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Also in the Murroe area, in the early '90s we tried for MMDS from Woodcock Hill but the signal wasn't good enough, LOS issues. That was lower down the band than Imagine's FWALA licence allocation. Same applied for Saorview and analogue in the UHF band.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Connected for a month to Tonabrooky mast. Speeds decline a fair bit during peak times. Still a lot better than I was used to.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=aecde9c6a966e2a552333f79b461f612&ria=0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

The Cush wrote: »
    Also in the Murroe area, in the early '90s we tried for MMDS from Woodcock Hill but the signal wasn't good enough, LOS issues. That was lower down the band than Imagine's FWALA licence allocation. Same applied for Saorview and analogue in the UHF band.

My current broadband provider is Celtic Broadband. My Saorview is very strong, I'm on the Newport road, close to Denis Holmes Fitted Furniture.

My current broadband provider is Celtic Broadband. My Saorview is very strong, I'm on the Newport road, close to Denis Holmes Fitted Furniture.

Yes, I saw your post in the Limerick thread (IIRC) when you moved there. That area would have good LOS to Woodcock Hill, saw Imagine's signs at the Five Roads cross recently.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

What's the story with Longford? they were one of the first to get Wimax, that's currently saturated to hell, and now completely ignored for LTE.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Would there be enough demand for a mast just to cover the Murroe/Cappamore/Newport area?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

What's the story with Longford? they were one of the first to get Wimax, that's currently saturated to hell, and now completely ignored for LTE.

Funny thing is the installer I had yesterday is from Longford. He is currently on a 5mb line. He also said he asked his boss as to when they will get it and was simply told in time. So obviously must be planned at some stage in future

marno21 wrote: »
    Would there be enough demand for a mast just to cover the Murroe/Cappamore/Newport area?

Where would you locate a mast to cover the 3 areas, too many hills. Add to that Cappamore exchange goes live on July 13th for VDSL and Murroe following in the weeks/months ahead.

[Hoping they are still working on improving mast in Abbeyknockmoy as speeds are getting worse

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2031630562

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2031658414

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

seaniefr wrote: »
    I am probably below you as am in Lisnagry. I was asking the guy about LOS and he said they only need a little but i have a lot of high trees between me and Wookcock as the RTE signal comes from there as i had to use a very powerful booster to get good reception so i dont think it will work.
    We tried Digiweb a couple of years ago and i think they are broadcasting from there and they couldn't get a signal either. Does anyone know is the Line of Sight a deal breaker?

I would think that at the frequencies that Imagine are deploying (~3.5 GHz) that LOS is very important.

http://www.l-com.com/blog/?tag=/line+of+sight

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

400/800Mhz are what you want for long range LTE where LOS is unlikely, this deployment is targeted to performance not availability.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

jsd1004 wrote: »
    JImagine have not returned my 100euro deposit after they could only get speeds of 2 Meg's after testing a month ago. They said at the time I was 100% in coverage.

Did you wait a month for refund ?
    installer told me it would be a couple of days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

irishchris wrote: »
    [Hoping they are still working on improving mast in Abbeyknockmoy as speeds are getting worse

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2031630562

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2031658414
    I got a call yesterday to get connected to that mast today but I couldn't be around for it. Going away for 2 weeks. Really hope it's sorted soon. Those speeds are pretty appalling.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    I got a call yesterday to get connected to that mast today but I couldn't be around for it. Going away for 2 weeks. Really hope it's sorted soon. Those speeds are pretty appalling.

To be honest it's getting worse in terms of speeds. Totally inconsistent all day with continued low speeds.

Here is the latest two tests which I just did.
    Definitely far below the minimum spec speed
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2032136851
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2032135921

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭Pious14

Has anybody got a picture of the installed router. I'm getting worried about a previous poster mentioning black wires etc. These wires aren't going to be visible around my house are they? How do they get wires from aerial to the router?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

To be honest it's getting worse in terms of speeds. Totally inconsistent all day with continued low speeds.

Here is the latest two tests which I just did.
    Definitely far below the minimum spec speed
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2032136851
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2032135921
    Hopefully it's just some issue with the setup on the mast and can be corrected quickly.

Hopefully it's just some issue with the setup on the mast and can be corrected quickly.

Hopefully and support reckoned it might be that

Pious14 wrote: »
    Has anybody got a picture of the installed router. I'm getting worried about a previous poster mentioning black wires etc. These wires aren't going to be visible around my house are they? How do they get wires from aerial to the router?

Not the best view of the cabling here but it's the black single cable from the antenna pinned along exterior wall then drilled through wall to where your router is

Would have thought they could plonk a plastic housing on the mount purely for cosmetic reasons.

Not the best view of the cabling here but it's the black single cable from the antenna pinned along exterior wall then drilled through wall to where your router is

Where is the hole being drilled?is going into roof or elsewhere? I have a new house with Ethernet connections placed in most rooms. Could I not use these as the outlet for the router?

• Advertisement

Where is the hole being drilled?is going into roof or elsewhere? I have a new house with Ethernet connections placed in most rooms. Could I not use these as the outlet for the router?

They'd have to drill to your comms cab then, and may not accept using wiring by a 3rd party.

Its normal for ISPs to drill a wall where needed to fit a drop, same for TV.

The cable used for the antenna to router run carries power for the antenna and so cannot use existing cabling. Also using couplers for joining their cable to yours won't work either as power won't pass through

They refused to route it to where I wanted as would be too far. In fairness to them on phone today agreed to come out again and reroute the cable. The setup as it is now was drilled through exterior wall to nearest power point

The cable used for the antenna to router run carries power for the antenna and so cannot use existing cabling. Also using couplers for joining their cable to yours won't work either as power won't pass through

Excuse my ignorance here now but could I connect back of router to one of my Ethernet connections in one room to supply an Internet connection in an Ethernet connection in another room?

Excuse my ignorance here now but could I connect back of router to one of my Ethernet connections in one room to supply an Internet connection in an Ethernet connection in another room?

If they are all linked together in a comms cab then should work but if each ethernet socket is simply brought back to a meeting point you will need to determine the two cables (ie the one from the room with your imagine router connected and the one from the room you want it to connect to) then you need to join those two with an rj45 coupler.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

On another note, the imagine antenna gives up a small but noticeable red light against my white wall. You can only see it at night. Looks a bit odd.

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    On another note, the imagine antenna gives up a small but noticeable red light against my white wall. You can only see it at night. Looks a bit odd.

I only noticed that myself this evening lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Neighbour; "Putting up holloween/xmas stuff a bit early aren't ya?"

Me; "Nope, that's imagine broadband!"

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,446 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

The Cush wrote: »
    Where would you locate a mast to cover the 3 areas, too many hills. Add to that Cappamore exchange goes live on July 13th for VDSL and Murroe following in the weeks/months ahead.
    Is there not already several ISPs in the area with wireless coverage including Rural Choice Broadband & Munster Broadband? Where do these companies TX from?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

marno21 wrote: »
    Is there not already several ISPs in the area with wireless coverage including Rural Choice Broadband & Munster Broadband? Where do these companies TX from?

Munster BB use a Mobile mast site that overlooks Doon to cover Doon, Cappamore and Rearcross. I'm not sure if this can see Murroe though - so they might get covered from their Limerick high site (I'm not sure where that is).

I've sent a couple of e-mails to Imagine asking them for their plans for this area, as I was wondering if they might use Keeper Hill as a high site. That would cover a lot more area than the Doon mast. They haven't answered me yet though.

Advertisement