Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

alec76 wrote: »
    Not with the standard CPE equipment .You could try to convince customer care to supply you specific radio ( one without the router ,only PoE injector at the user’s end ) .I’ve definitely read about it here, took him about 6 months of talk to get it , if not mistaken.

I guess I'll discuss it with them as part of their proposed upgrade of equipment to "5G"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Zagato wrote: »
    Have people successfully got imagine to do this? I am unable to use my smart dns without having double NAT issues.

What are you exactly trying to do ?

I have a router flashed with Gargoyle (https://www.gargoyle-router.com/) connected to my Imagine router and I connect then to the gargoyle router with all my devices (I originally installed gargoyle as it allowed me to monitor bandwidth usage, and find which of my devices were hogging traffic)

I use duckdns on the gargoyle router and it works fine (like dyndns but free). I did have to email imagine to get them to forward ports for me on the imagine router, the ones I want are all forwarded to the gargoyle router which in turn forwards them to the devices I want exposed.

You email imaging in portforwarding@imagine.ie and you need to list the ports as follows:
    Imagine - Port Forwarding <portforwarding@imagine.ie>
    Fri, 4 Aug 2017, 09:33

Hello,

In order to process your port forward request in a timely manner please fill out the below template in full and reply to this email with the updated information.

-Imagine account number:
    -Name:
    -Address:
    -What ports you would like to forward including:
    --protocol
    --IP address (which will be advised to you by our technical support on the initial call and needs to be statically assigned to your device)
    --Reason

Example:
    Port Protocol IP Address Reason
    88 UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    3074 TCP&UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    53 TCP&UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    3544 UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX
    4500 UDP 192.168.15.200 XBOX

Please note Port 80, 443 and 8080 are network reserved ports and cannot be opened.

We will contact you back via email with confirmation

If you have any further queries please do not hesitate to contact us on 1890 92 91 39 or by email to ltesupport@imagine.ie. Phone lines are open from 9 AM to 8 PM Monday to Friday, and from 10 AM to 4 PM on weekends and bank holidays.

Thank you again for your valued custom.

James

LTE Technical Support

1890 92 91 39

Hope that helps

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Zagato

deadl0ck wrote: »
    What are you exactly trying to do ?

Thanks, yes likely will.
    Just trying to access my NAS when away from home. And also Netflix stopped working on my shield, which was only fixed by switching my router back to bridge mode.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 518 ✭✭✭kingbhome

Mortelaro wrote: »
    www.speedtest.net on your pc
    Use the app on your phone but be beside the router if connected to wifi

As for the question on a new connection,punch an eircode from the next door house in this link first or one for where you are building if you have one to see if you have fibre
    If you dont investigate other options as rural landline broadband can be very slow

https://www.eir.ie/broadband/1000mb-fibre/

I was chatting to eir and they said on chat that I can get fibre but if I go on the map, the only houses in my area that can get it is on the national road. What if they say I can get it, I sign up then they realize I can't get it. I was offered a 39.99 unlimited phone and internet and a 40€ connection fee.

Now been offered eir sports for 1 year, unlimited broadband, unlimited calls from eir. What I want to ask is if eir is the main line connected to my house, will this be the best option I have since I can't get fibre. If eir is the main line, is it possible that there is quicker broadband other than eir that uses the eir line. Probably a silly Q bit one I thought I'd ask. I'm sure I've read somewhere about it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

kingbhome wrote: »
    Now been offered eir sports for 1 year, unlimited broadband, unlimited calls from eir. What I want to ask is if eir is the main line connected to my house, will this be the best option I have since I can't get fibre. If eir is the main line, is it possible that there is quicker broadband other than eir that uses the eir line. Probably a silly Q bit one I thought I'd ask. I'm sure I've read somewhere about it

Already confirmed:
    Can get vdsl at 100mb . Is that decent? Have used a wireless router pay as go but it's useless.

You'd be crazy to go near Imagine. Go with Eir/Vodafone/Sky/Digiweb for VDSL (FTTC). As such the Imagine thread is totally off topic for what you're discussing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Imagine is a wireless provider that is a last resort for those who have no other option of broadband. They are very expensive at 60 euros per month because they cater to areas that have no other choice and their service is very hit and miss depending on distance from mast and line of sight as well as contention to the mast. If you have any sort of Land line based fibre availalbe go for that and not imagine, plus you'll save yourself at least 5 euros per month for a much smoother connection.

ED E wrote: »
    Already confirmed:

You'd be crazy to go near Imagine. Go with Eir/Vodafone/Sky/Digiweb for VDSL (FTTC). As such the Imagine thread is totally off topic for what you're discussing.

I will try eir and see how it is. The eir sports channels along with unlimited phone and internet for 40 a month sounds ok to me. They where asking for my credit card details and iban number while on chat to them earlier. Is this normal procedure.

Gonzo wrote: »
    Imagine is a wireless provider that is a last resort for those who have no other option of broadband. They are very expensive at 60 euros per month because they cater to areas that have no other choice and their service is very hit and miss depending on distance from mast and line of sight as well as contention to the mast. If you have any sort of Land line based fibre availalbe go for that and not imagine, plus you'll save yourself at least 5 euros per month for a much smoother connection.

I'm using a wireless router from a friend lent me. 30euro a month and it's not great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Gonzo wrote: »
    Not true - I'm in rural area and I was paying the same amount to Eir for 5mb DSL broadband - Imagine is way better that this - even at its worst it's still better that what I had from Eir

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Not true - I'm in rural area and I was paying the same amount to Eir for 5mb DSL broadband - Imagine is way better that this - even at its worst it's still better that what I had from Eir

To be fair,he's not talking about your situation, he said if theres fibre available not DSL
    Siro is being installed in Arklow
    So that town now has Siro,FTTC from Éir(soon to be Ftth too) and Virgin
    Yet Imagine are advertising for customers in the town
    You'd want to be stone mad
    I'm like you though,Imagine is way way better than my old land line,theres no fibre here
    I do have a 2nd wireless company in range too called Whizzy based in Gorey
    So some whip at least if Imagine went to the dogs ,it hasn't bar a few times soon enough fixed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Is imagine unlimited (*1TB/month) for existing customers? I got an email about the upgrade to "5G ready" and it says
    So what are the benefits if I choose to upgrade?

Unlimited monthly data usage, watch what you want, when you want

This seems to suggest that it isnt unlimited if you dont upgrade.

Scruff wrote: »
    Is imagine unlimited (*1TB/month) for existing customers? I got an email about the upgrade to "5G ready" and it says

This seems to suggest that it isnt unlimited if you dont upgrade.

Yeah its unlimited from july 1st
    All contracts were changed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Psygnosis

If they changed people's contracts can we use that to cancel without incurring a fee

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

To be fair,he's not talking about your situation, he said if theres fibre available not DSL
    Siro is being installed in Arklow
    So that town now has Siro,FTTC from Éir(soon to be Ftth too) and Virgin
    Yet Imagine are advertising for customers in the town
    You'd want to be stone mad
    I'm like you though,Imagine is way way better than my old land line,theres no fibre here
    I do have a 2nd wireless company in range too called Whizzy based in Gorey
    So some whip at least if Imagine went to the dogs ,it hasn't bar a few times soon enough fixed
    Yeah its unlimited from july 1st
    All contracts were changed
    Still in FUP:
    Fair Usage Policy – Broadband
    The fair usage limit for data usage on the Broadband Service in any one month is 1TB. This limit is not to be exceeded. If you exceed the fair usage limit, we will notify you by phone, text or email to advise you that you have exceeded the fair usage limit and request that you modify your usage behaviour. If you subsequently exceed the fair usage limit Imagine reserves the right to suspend or terminate your Service(s).

Still in FUP:

Pardon the pun,to be fair, the industry standard term unlimited means 1 tb
    As opposed to Imagines old 20gb a day or 60% of a Tb in a month limit

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

No. To the industry unlimited means unlimited. And then there is those providers, who don't give a darn about advertising standards. That's mostly the larger providers, that just want volume (as in customers), but don't want the cost of delivering the service to these.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    No. To the industry unlimited means unlimited. And then there is those providers, who don't give a darn about advertising standards. That's mostly the larger providers, that just want volume (as in customers), but don't want the cost of delivering the service to these.

/M

Industry norm in Ireland then... with very few exceptions is to have a FUP that in the case of the large providers is 1tb
    The legitimacy or otherwise of FUPs is done to death earlier in this thread and elsewhere

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Can peeps who's mast has had the "5G upgrade" report on the service since the "upgrade".

Has the service improved ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

On the Ballina mast. Download speed is better, still suffer from contention though, 10 - 15 meg in the evenings instead of 2 - 5. Uploads have dropped off now.... 1.5meg is usual.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

TopTec wrote: »
    On the Ballina mast. Download speed is better, still suffer from contention though, 10 - 15 meg in the evenings instead of 2 - 5. Uploads have dropped off now.... 1.5meg is usual.

TT
    As more people on your mast get 'upgraded' to the new gear, perhaps that will improve it's self over time.

god's toy wrote: »
    As more people on your mast get 'upgraded' to the new gear, perhaps that will improve it's self over time.

Me and my neighbour after signing to FTTH , I guess my mast will improve too :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Me and my neighbour after signing to FTTH , I guess my mast will improve too :)
    Oh I hear ya, Still have a mast almost to myself and still getting fantastic speeds all of the time... lol have to tell anyone who come asking just how crap it really is and to never go with them!! all the speeds for me!!! J/K lol.

8453534277.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,534 ✭✭✭MDR

Hi folks,

Anyone using the service in Limerick area, can share experience here.

Upload speeds etc.

Thanks,

Ray K

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

As opposed to Imagines old 20gb a day or 60% of a Tb in a month limit

I see that they've brought the usage metrics back - You can actually see your daily usage now..

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I see that they've brought the usage metrics back - You can actually see your daily usage now..

Well - They brought back the usage tool , but of course - it's not accurate!!

I got cut off today - throttled to 1Mb each way until Wednesday as I had breached the data cap - My son got a new xbox last week and ran up a large data volume installing all his games etc.

However - According to the website , I've only used ~950Gb this month so I thought I should be fine for the remaining 24hrs or so..But no.

The website only shows Download volumes and not uploads and of course uploads count against your 1TB so the ~50Gb of uploads during the month take me over the limit..!!

And to top it off I couldn't actually login to the portal this afternoon as the security certificate on their site had expired!!

Just unreal..

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭NewWorldLeader

Well - They brought back the usage tool , but of course - it's not accurate!!

I got cut off today - throttled to 1Mb each way until Wednesday as I had breached the data cap - My son got a new xbox last week and ran up a large data volume installing all his games etc.

However - According to the website , I've only used ~950Gb this month so I thought I should be fine for the remaining 24hrs or so..But no.

The website only shows Download volumes and not uploads and of course uploads count against your 1TB so the ~50Gb of uploads during the month take me over the limit..!!

And to top it off I couldn't actually login to the portal this afternoon as the security certificate on their site had expired!!

Just unreal..

It says right above the amount used "Combined usage this month" so yeah, definitely not reliable. You should screenshot it and send it to them

It says right above the amount used "Combined usage this month" so yeah, definitely not reliable. You should screenshot it and send it to them

After some further investigation , it's not the upload info that's missing.

Tech Support sent me the actual values that they see from their system for each day for my usage and the online tool is a consistent 7% under the actual combined usage figures every single day.

It's not down to anything simple like one tool using 1024Mb for a Gb and the other using 1000 etc. it's just wrong.

I've sent the data back to them showing the daily differences , let's see what they come back with.

Either way , I'm still sitting on a 1MB connection until midnight tomorrow. :-(

I found Imagine usage tool more a less accurate.
    My Netgear R7800 got integrated usage tool as well , so I can compare both .. In fact Negear showing slightly more traffic than Imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

After some further investigation , it's not the upload info that's missing.

Tech Support sent me the actual values that they see from their system for each day for my usage and the online tool is a consistent 7% under the actual combined usage figures every single day.

It's not down to anything simple like one tool using 1024Mb for a Gb and the other using 1000 etc. it's just wrong.

I've sent the data back to them showing the daily differences , let's see what they come back with.

Either way , I'm still sitting on a 1MB connection until midnight tomorrow. :-(

well that at least confirms the 20GB daily is gone and it is indeed 1TB monthly, er...thanks :/

Advertisement