Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Scruff wrote: »
    well that at least confirms the 20GB daily is gone and it is indeed 1TB monthly, er...thanks :/

Only if you got a "You've been upgraded" mail from them recently.

As I understand it , some people are still on the old contract with the 20GB/Day deal whereas new customers and some older customers are on the new "Unlimited" (but really 1TB) deal.

This is the mail - I got this at the end of May , my speeds went from 70Mb max to about 120Mb max
    We're Upgrading Your Broadband

Hi, great news, we are upgrading our network to 5G ready Fixed Broadband. As part of this, over the coming months we will also be upgrading your existing imagine broadband service which will include new benefits as listed below. With the network upgrade already underway, customers are already experiencing the benefits of the new technologies, smarter network monitoring, advanced optimisation solutions and greater network capacity that form part of this next generation, 5G ready network upgrade.

So what does this mean for you?
    Your existing imagine broadband service will include the following:

Unlimited monthly data usage, watch what you want, when you want
    Increased broadband speeds, seamless broadband, buffer free
    60 minutes of calls to Irish mobiles, totally free
    Free UK landline calls as part of your call pack, totally free
    No increase to your monthly pack charge, so no extra cost to you
    No change to your current contract term - you're not being tied in

Some changes to your terms and conditions
    Due to upgrading your service and the above benefits you will receive, we will have to make some changes to your existing terms and conditions. We will send you notification of these changes and when they will take effect in a separate email.

Needless to say I never actually got the "separate email" about new T&C's..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Scruff wrote: »
    well that at least confirms the 20GB daily is gone and it is indeed 1TB monthly, er...thanks :/

Imagine will never go completely unlimited, their network would grind to a halt if everyone was able to download what they want when they want. 1TB per month is fairly decent for a wireless network and certainly much more customer friendly than the old 20gig per day cap.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Gonzo wrote: »
    Imagine will never go completely unlimited, their network would grind to a halt if everyone was able to download what they want when they want. 1TB per month is fairly decent for a wireless network and certainly much more customer friendly than the old 20gig per day cap.

That's a fair comment - But everyone has a max 1TB FUP - All of the fixed line/fibre providers do as well.

To my knowledge there isn't a single provider that offers anything above 1TB before their FUP kicks in.

For fixed line fibre, 1TB isn't that hard to hit without being unreasonable.

Netflix uses 7GB/hour for 4K/UHD viewing - 1TB gives you about 4.5hrs a day at that rate.

Divide that 4.5hrs a day across a few members of a household watching different shows and it becomes very easy to hit 1TB in no time at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    To my knowledge there isn't a single provider that offers anything above 1TB before their FUP kicks in.

For fixed line fibre, 1TB isn't that hard to hit without being unreasonable.
    Eir and Airwire defenetely unlimited, no 1 TB cap .
    Was ordering FTTH last week, Vodafone offering FREE installation right now , good pricing too.But 1 TB for 300 Mbit/s seems stupid. I am 700-800 GB with Imagine .
    Had to go with unlimited Eir and pay €150 installation fee

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,935 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

alec76 wrote: »
    Was ordering FTTH last week, Vodafone offering FREE installation right now , good pricing too.But 1 TB for 300 Mbit/s seems stupid. I am 700-800 GB with Imagine .

rumours that Eir are going back to caps later this year, that will probably mean the other providers will do the same.

• Advertisement

Eir have 1 TB FUP - See here
    eir Fibre packages with an unlimited usage allowance are subject to a fair usage policy of 1TB per month.

You are right about Airwire though, I stand corrected.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

It is old terms .
    I am pretty sure , Eir is unlimited for FTTH since the last year, huge thread about it on Boards.

It is old terms .
    I am pretty sure , Eir is unlimited for FTTH since the last year, huge thread about it on Boards.

They need to sort out their website so :-)

I'm in an NBP area so I'm pretty much stuck with Imagine for the foreseeable anyway...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Saw 5 Imagine vans including land rover parked up back to back Arklow main street yesterday. i presume they are upgrading the masts locally

It is old terms .

yep still unlimited with 'no usage caps' according to the website. https://www.eir.ie/broadband/ This may not last that much longer tho but we'll see. If Eir get rid of the unlimited usage i'll be switching provider immediately.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yeah its unlimited from july 1st
    All contracts were changed

Vs
    Only if you got a "You've been upgraded" mail from them recently.

As I understand it , some people are still on the old contract with the 20GB/Day deal whereas new customers and some older customers are on the new "Unlimited" (but really 1TB) deal.

This is the mail - I got this at the end of May , my speeds went from 70Mb max to about 120Mb max

Needless to say I never actually got the "separate email" about new T&C's..

Hence :confused:

• Company Representative Posts: 195 Verified rep Westnet: Paul

That's a fair comment - But everyone has a max 1TB FUP - All of the fixed line/fibre providers do as well.

Not all of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,252 ✭✭✭✭km79

Have had to cancel service . No contract to just gave the 30 days notice
    Has a phone call there saying they want to collect equipment in the morning .
    This didn’t suit me so I’m going to call back with alternative time

For anyone who also had to do this
    What equipment do they mean ?
    Modem obviously
    But do they also have to go back up on to the roof to take down aerial ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

km79 wrote: »
    Have had to cancel service . No contract to just gave the 30 days notice
    Has a phone call there saying they want to collect equipment in the morning .
    This didn’t suit me so I’m going to call back with alternative time

For anyone who also had to do this
    What equipment do they mean ?
    Modem obviously
    But do they also have to go back up on to the roof to take down aerial ?

In short, Yes

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

I'm a customer of Imagine for around three years and my modem is acting up so they said to leave it off for a few days until the engineers inspect it.

They sent two guys out, neither of which worked with Imagine for more than three or four months.

Weirdly, they never looked at the modem and came up with the most outlandish list of reasons why they couldn't upgrade my equipment.

The weirdest of which was, and I quote:

"the imagine receiver on your chimney is old, we don't install them any more so you will have to pay someone to go on the roof to take it down, yourself."

"also, because your walls are stone, we can't drill into them so you need someone to put a bracket on your wall"

My response was, imagine put it there and it's your equipment and while I'm happy to cover costs, you are responsible for the equipment imagine installed.

I got no where and while I know it was Friday of a bank holiday at 3 pm when they called, it was obvious that they didn't want to do anything for me.

I asked why they didn't look at the router/modem and they said that it's going in the bin anyway.

He even asked me would I be willing to sign a disclaimer that I would remove the old equipment myself, their equipment, because they are no longer able to go on roofs?

Im flabbergasted to be honest.

I'm fifteen minutes outside limerick and one of the first Imagine customers here when they started their rollout.

Final note when they were leaving was that management will be in touch next week but it's highly unlikely that they will remove the equipment they installed on chimney.

He rang his manager and gave a very negative report on any solution I proposed and completely ignored any suggestions of using the fable end.

Ironically, they (different crew) installed in my next door neighbours, on Tuesday last and that installation crew were the ones who told me to contact customer care in the first place.

Then told me that they may cancel my service rather than remove or replace the equipment.

They no longer use these modems either, fair enough.

I still told him that they would still have to remove their equipment it as they installed it there a few years ago.

He had no interest in that and said that it won't happen.

What I find incredible is that IMAGINE maintain they could fulfil the NBP contract but based on my experience above, they seem to have proven, quite clearly, that they can't provide service, even to existing customers and are quite willing to walk away from any problems with their equipment

Im at a complete loss of where to go from here.

After three years, I can't even get maintenance on their equipment which means that I won't be upgraded either, I'm guessing, going by yesterday and it's likely they will terminate my service and leave equipment on my roof which they highlighted, they felt was badly installed day one. Which again, was done by Imagine.

Has anyone experienced similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I hope you just got a couple of negative lazy-assed alleged "workers".

Get on to customer services again on Tuesday, and berate them for sending such uncooperative idiots out and demand a different crew to attend to the problem.

If they refuse to take away their equipment and wish to abandon it write them a nasty letter informing them if they do not remove it then you will and they will pay for it.

It might get some movement ...... but I suppose given the reputation Imagine have, it is probable they would ignore that also.

No, I never heard or read of this happening previously.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Isn't it in their ToS that they own the equipment, seems laugable they won't let you into their router control panels if they'd just tell you fix everything yourself.

Also quick update on the state of Imagine for us on the Hollyford mast, they've done work to it recently and download speeds are definitely up but our upload speeds have been cut in half.

8471591885.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Should always reference wired or wireless speeds when posting. Gives decent comparison then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Mine, which has been rock solid until now, has gone to crap over the past week. @Mortelaro are you seeing the same? I think it's time to pony up for the ancillary works to get FTTH in.

G50e6ei.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

That looks like a classic contention issue.... what are the times of the low speeds? Wired or Wifi? What mast?

TT

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

TopTec wrote: »
    That looks like a classic contention issue.... what are the times of the low speeds? Wired or Wifi? What mast?

TT

Looks like 10pm is when the contention peaks going by that picture. Sounds about right, much the same as when I was with an ISP that had contention issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,703 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

amadablam wrote: »
    I'm a customer of Imagine for around three years and my modem is acting up so they said to leave it off for a few days until the engineers inspect it.

They sent two guys out, neither of which worked with Imagine for more than three or four months.

Weirdly, they never looked at the modem and came up with the most outlandish list of reasons why they couldn't upgrade my equipment.

The weirdest of which was, and I quote:

"the imagine receiver on your chimney is old, we don't install them any more so you will have to pay someone to go on the roof to take it down, yourself."

"also, because your walls are stone, we can't drill into them so you need someone to put a bracket on your wall"

My response was, imagine put it there and it's your equipment and while I'm happy to cover costs, you are responsible for the equipment imagine installed.

I got no where and while I know it was Friday of a bank holiday at 3 pm when they called, it was obvious that they didn't want to do anything for me.

I asked why they didn't look at the router/modem and they said that it's going in the bin anyway.

He even asked me would I be willing to sign a disclaimer that I would remove the old equipment myself, their equipment, because they are no longer able to go on roofs?

Im flabbergasted to be honest.

I'm fifteen minutes outside limerick and one of the first Imagine customers here when they started their rollout.

Final note when they were leaving was that management will be in touch next week but it's highly unlikely that they will remove the equipment they installed on chimney.

He rang his manager and gave a very negative report on any solution I proposed and completely ignored any suggestions of using the fable end.

Ironically, they (different crew) installed in my next door neighbours, on Tuesday last and that installation crew were the ones who told me to contact customer care in the first place.

Then told me that they may cancel my service rather than remove or replace the equipment.

They no longer use these modems either, fair enough.

I still told him that they would still have to remove their equipment it as they installed it there a few years ago.

He had no interest in that and said that it won't happen.

What I find incredible is that IMAGINE maintain they could fulfil the NBP contract but based on my experience above, they seem to have proven, quite clearly, that they can't provide service, even to existing customers and are quite willing to walk away from any problems with their equipment

Im at a complete loss of where to go from here.

After three years, I can't even get maintenance on their equipment which means that I won't be upgraded either, I'm guessing, going by yesterday and it's likely they will terminate my service and leave equipment on my roof which they highlighted, they felt was badly installed day one. Which again, was done by Imagine.

Has anyone experienced similar?

I experienced the friday afternoon appointment too. Total waste of time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

TopTec wrote: »

TT

Yes, I suspect the same. I know Mortelaro is on the same mast so he/she may be able to confirm similar.

Slowest registered speeds over the past 7 days:
    Date/Time Mean Sample Count Minimum Maximum
    5 Aug 2019, 22:00 2.63 Mbps 1 2.63 Mbps 2.63 Mbps
    5 Aug 2019, 21:00 3.27 Mbps 1 3.27 Mbps 3.27 Mbps
    31 Jul 2019, 21:00 3.85 Mbps 1 3.85 Mbps 3.85 Mbps
    1 Aug 2019, 22:00 3.98 Mbps 1 3.98 Mbps 3.98 Mbps
    4 Aug 2019, 21:00 5.51 Mbps 1 5.51 Mbps 5.51 Mbps
    30 Jul 2019, 18:00 5.69 Mbps 1 5.69 Mbps 5.69 Mbps

Wired
    Barrackcroghan, North Wexford

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Hey Peeps, I have just bought a new router and I want to put the imagine router into bridge mode. What is the process for this ?

Do I have to ring imagine and get them to do it, I'm aware the router is locked down

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Hey Peeps, I have just bought a new router and I want to put the imagine router into bridge mode. What is the process for this ?

Do I have to ring imagine and get them to do it, I'm aware the router is locked down

I got them to do it a few years ago. Frankly, it was a painful process that ultimately entailed them replacing the CPE/router combo with a different CPE with no router attached.

It works perfectly and is exactly what I needed, but I am dreading the day they try to upgrade my mast to (pseudo) 5G. Unless they've standardised the process I'll have to go through the whole thing again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,482 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Dero wrote: »
    I got them to do it a few years ago. Frankly, it was a painful process that ultimately entailed them replacing the CPE/router combo with a different CPE with no router attached.

It works perfectly and is exactly what I needed, but I am dreading the day they try to upgrade my mast to (pseudo) 5G. Unless they've standardised the process I'll have to go through the whole thing again.

How did you start the process ? Ring customer service ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

How did you start the process ? Ring customer service ?

Yeah, that was the start of it. I ended up having to deal with specific people, but unfortunately most of the dealings were over the phone so I don't have much record of the details/timelines etc. I think I was a "test case" so it took a long time, but in fairness to them, they did get back to me once they had a solution worked out.

They said they were going to make it a standard offering, which is part of why it took so long (waiting for vendor firmware was another part of it). I have no idea if that has been done, but you might have to go to second level support to get any traction.

Edit to add; Here's my previous post on this.. As I said, it took them a while, but they did get it done, and it does work.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

If you can get the LTE broadband does that mean you will be definitely be able to get the 5g.

And once 5g is active in your area do they stop doing the LTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Hi..just got connected to the 5g . Have a question though

I now have 2 networks one called 5g and one called LTE. 5g speeds are 90 to 100. LTE speed is 50 ish. Very happy with these. Was on at best 10 beforehand.
    My question is that when using the xbox on the home plug wired not Wifi I only get the lte speed .
    Is there a way of getting the higher speed through the home plug

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

koppy wrote: »
    Hi..just got connected to the 5g . Have a question though

I now have 2 networks one called 5g and one called LTE. 5g speeds are 90 to 100. LTE speed is 50 ish. Very happy with these. Was on at best 10 beforehand.
    My question is that when using the xbox on the home plug wired not Wifi I only get the lte speed .
    Is there a way of getting the higher speed through the home plug

Not if the limitation is the electrical wiring in your house which was not designed for data.
    Run an Ethernet cable or setup a mesh network. A good wifi mesh network will be faster than the home plugs in most cases but still limited in devices with poor network adapters. Mesh networks are also expensive.

Advertisement