Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,049 ✭✭✭✭listermint

koppy wrote: »
    Hi..just got connected to the 5g . Have a question though

I now have 2 networks one called 5g and one called LTE. 5g speeds are 90 to 100. LTE speed is 50 ish. Very happy with these. Was on at best 10 beforehand.
    My question is that when using the xbox on the home plug wired not Wifi I only get the lte speed .
    Is there a way of getting the higher speed through the home plug

The maximum speeds you will get would be from Ethernet cable direct from Xbox to the Imagine router, if you are looking for the highest possible speeds with your setup then avoid using homeplugs altogether.

Although the quoted speeds (depending on pings) you are getting should be more than enough for your gaming needs.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Well lads, I had to update this one.

I had written a reasonable account of what happened and I was going to make a complaint but a few family issues took over.

Anyway, even before I got to send a complaint, I get a call and an apology from Imagine. A genuine apology too.

Keep in mind that I hadn't complained at all at this point.

The guy who rang me is with them a long time and pretty much said that the report back from the contract crew, was not adding up.

Possibly because imagine would had the previous installation report on my house to compare it to? Or maybe they didn't share certain elements with me but they said this job became an office talking point with their team.

So, at their main office a lot of correspondence was going on but the guy wasn't happy so sent two crews to my house, no contractors, purely their own lads based in HQ. Two excellent guys who really knew their stuff!

They arrived and went through the report between themselves and basically said that everything in it was the opposite of what they saw on the ground.

The previous contract crew last week took pictures of buildings that weren't even my property nor on it as well as some really odd angled pictures of my place.

Contractors last week had said my roof was collapsing, seriously. The roof is 7 years old! Immaculate but natural slate. I even offered them access to inspect and engineer reports and they had no interest.

So I gave the imagine guys yesterday access to my attic, and everything else they needed and they were at a loss and felt that they had to give a more accurate and contradictory report back to head office.

The roof was as new as it's around 7 or so years old. He asked could he take photos inside the attic and I had no problem. He said the roof was as described by myself and as new.

They were both so well equipped, two vans loaded with everything possible. But they didn't need anything other than the normal stuff.

The job was straight forward and they said that the job was talked about so much in the office that it had to be seen and they wanted me to still write my account of the job to head office.

They were fantastic and even though our mast isn't upgraded and I haven't had decent speeds above 15mbps in the evening, they still put up all new gear, cpe, router, etc. So my house would be ready for when the site gets upgraded. It was pretty clear that the old router was defective but the guys last week didn't look at it.

I've unobstructed view of the mast and while it's not entirely necessary with the newer gear, it certainly helps. They said the signal was exceptional also.

Anyway, they reckoned they'd be getting phone calls and they would be giving a very different report back.

Result was that I had speeds of up to 148mbps last night and even peak, that was around 65-90+ most of the time which is what I had up to over a year ago when I started complaining about the router.

These were measured wirelessly too.

Just shows, the experience last week did not add up to the point that it didn't add up for imagine either.

Im happy with the result and couldn't be happier to have the speeds again, which I hadn't seen for 18 months.

I have to say a massive well done to how Imagine handled this. It was extremely proactive on their part and has really restored my faith in their service and ability to deliver it. :)

whelan2 wrote: »
    I experienced the friday afternoon appointment too. Total waste of time.

I hope you just got a couple of negative lazy-assed alleged "workers".

Get on to customer services again on Tuesday, and berate them for sending such uncooperative idiots out and demand a different crew to attend to the problem.

It might get some movement ...... but I suppose given the reputation Imagine have, it is probable they would ignore that also.

No, I never heard or read of this happening previously.

amadablam wrote: »
    I'm a customer of Imagine for around three years and my modem is acting up so they said to leave it off for a few days until the engineers inspect it.

They sent two guys out, neither of which worked with Imagine for more than three or four months.

Weirdly, they never looked at the modem and came up with the most outlandish list of reasons why they couldn't upgrade my equipment.

The weirdest of which was, and I quote:

"the imagine receiver on your chimney is old, we don't install them any more so you will have to pay someone to go on the roof to take it down, yourself."

"also, because your walls are stone, we can't drill into them so you need someone to put a bracket on your wall"

My response was, imagine put it there and it's your equipment and while I'm happy to cover costs, you are responsible for the equipment imagine installed.

I got no where and while I know it was Friday of a bank holiday at 3 pm when they called, it was obvious that they didn't want to do anything for me.

I asked why they didn't look at the router/modem and they said that it's going in the bin anyway.

He even asked me would I be willing to sign a disclaimer that I would remove the old equipment myself, their equipment, because they are no longer able to go on roofs?

Im flabbergasted to be honest.

I'm fifteen minutes outside limerick and one of the first Imagine customers here when they started their rollout.

Final note when they were leaving was that management will be in touch next week but it's highly unlikely that they will remove the equipment they installed on chimney.

He rang his manager and gave a very negative report on any solution I proposed and completely ignored any suggestions of using the fable end.

Ironically, they (different crew) installed in my next door neighbours, on Tuesday last and that installation crew were the ones who told me to contact customer care in the first place.

Then told me that they may cancel my service rather than remove or replace the equipment.

They no longer use these modems either, fair enough.

I still told him that they would still have to remove their equipment it as they installed it there a few years ago.

He had no interest in that and said that it won't happen.

What I find incredible is that IMAGINE maintain they could fulfil the NBP contract but based on my experience above, they seem to have proven, quite clearly, that they can't provide service, even to existing customers and are quite willing to walk away from any problems with their equipment

Im at a complete loss of where to go from here.

After three years, I can't even get maintenance on their equipment which means that I won't be upgraded either, I'm guessing, going by yesterday and it's likely they will terminate my service and leave equipment on my roof which they highlighted, they felt was badly installed day one. Which again, was done by Imagine.

Has anyone experienced similar?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Thanks for posting back.
    It is always good to read about the positives of CS in different companies, but it so rarely happens.

I guess you should also be thankful that the first two idiots were so idiotic that even Imagine knew they were not being factual :D

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Hi..just got connected to the 5g . Have a question though

I now have 2 networks one called 5g and one called LTE. 5g speeds are 90 to 100. LTE speed is 50 ish. Very happy with these. Was on at best 10 beforehand.
    My question is that when using the xbox on the home plug wired not Wifi I only get the lte speed .
    Is there a way of getting the higher speed through the home plug

What is imagine like for online gaming? How's the lag etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

We were on the LTE and getting speeds of 2 to 10. We had lot of trees blocking us so it dropped signal fairly regularly aswell.There was lot of complaints from the young lad about the lagging. We've just got the 5g speeds so hopefully there should be no lagging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

We were on the LTE and getting speeds of 2 to 10. We had lot of trees blocking us so it dropped signal fairly regularly aswell.There was lot of complaints from the young lad about the lagging. We've just got the 5g speeds so hopefully there should be no lagging.

Does the 5g not need line of sight? Or will you still have the problem with the trees?

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Ye its line of sight but pointing a different direction. On a different mast now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

tuxy wrote: »
    Not if the limitation is the electrical wiring in your house which was not designed for data.
    Run an Ethernet cable or setup a mesh network. A good wifi mesh network will be faster than the home plugs in most cases but still limited in devices with poor network adapters. Mesh networks are also expensive.

I wouldn't call them expensive....

I've the BT Whole Home system and it works great. 3 disks for £150. I picked up the two disk pack for £90 back in March 18.

Very good feedback and reviews of this Tenda Nova MW3. Set of 3 for only £80. I've no experience with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭paulbok

Is anyone here using their Rockhill/ Hillstreet transmitter in North East Roscommon?
    Thinking of switching over to Imagine for their 150mb package however after reading some of the recent posts here, I am worried they the service will drop to rubbish levels during peak demand. Apparently it's the last few places on the transmitter that are available.
    Currently have a stable 15-18mb from a different 20mb LTE supplier, who has said they will be upgrading my service to 50mb in the near future. Their customer service is good as well.
    Currently supply is just short of what I need for streaming etc, if they can provide a stable 25-30 out of 50mb in the future, I'd rather not gamble with changing to Imagine for the same or a lesser service at peak so want to be as sure as I can be before getting locked into a 2 year contract so would like to hear from users on that transmitter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,019 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

paulbok wrote: »
    Is anyone here using their Rockhill/ Hillstreet transmitter in North East Roscommon?
    Thinking of switching over to Imagine for their 150mb package however after reading some of the recent posts here, I am worried they the service will drop to rubbish levels during peak demand. Apparently it's the last few places on the transmitter that are available.
    Currently have a stable 15-18mb from a different 20mb LTE supplier, who has said they will be upgrading my service to 50mb in the near future. Their customer service is good as well.
    Currently supply is just short of what I need for streaming etc, if they can provide a stable 25-30 out of 50mb in the future, I'd rather not gamble with changing to Imagine for the same or a lesser service at peak so want to be as sure as I can be before getting locked into a 2 year contract so would like to hear from users on that transmitter.

You cannot be sure or even close.

In your situation I would stay with a good provider with a stable service, even if that speed is not quite what I would like to have.

I would even consider getting two connections from a good provider rather than take a gamble on one that is generally not well regarded on these forums.

• Advertisement

In your situation I would stay with a good provider with a stable service, even if that speed is not quite what I would like to have.

I would even consider getting two connections from a good provider rather than take a gamble on one that is generally not well regarded on these forums.

Yeah, that's what I'm heavily leaning towards (staying).

Didn't realise they were are bad as I've read here.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,818 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

To be fair , who comes on to a discussion forum to say "My Internet Service is exactly what I expected it to be"

Not saying that Imagine don't have issues - They absolutely do , but reading this forum is really not a representative of their (or any Service providers) service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Notice my router doesnt show up the ImagineLTE-xxxx5G SSID anymore...

Has the athlone site been upgraded to 5G yet?

if so is there anything that needs to be done to get the 5G connection... I remember getting an email some time back about upgrade to 5G.

I'm a long time customer actually one of the first to get connected to this site, happy enough normally getting 30 to 50 Mbps... just checking if 5G is available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

2 different 5Gs, your SSID 5G is actually the 5.8 GHz WiFI frequency band, abbreviated to 5G, the other 5G is the new mobile standard - not launched yet.

The 5.8 GHz and 2.4Ghz frequencies can be switched on/off within the routers setup menu.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

The Cush wrote: »
    2 different 5Gs, your SSID 5G is actually the 5.8 GHz WiFI frequency band, abbreviated to 5G, the other 5G is the new mobile standard - not launched yet.

The 5.8 GHz and 2.4Ghz frequencies can be switched on/off within the routers setup menu.

Thanks for that, I would guess they need to change the router and the box outside to upgrade to 5G once they have upgraded?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Service from the barrackcroghan mast is gone very slow in the evening
    Average 9 to 17mb
    Sometimes slower
    I'm out of contract so giving this a week and phoning whizzy whose 50Mb service at least delivers most of that and is only a 12 month contract at 45 a month

https://whizzyinternet.ie/coverage/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

if so is there anything that needs to be done to get the 5G connection... I remember getting an email some time back about upgrade to 5G.

I'm a long time customer actually one of the first to get connected to this site, happy enough normally getting 30 to 50 Mbps... just checking if 5G is available.

It is not 5G , it is 5G ready- whatever that means..
    I called them last week to see when I would be upgraded and if I needed to do anything or got a new modem. The answer was no..

I got a text this morning to say the mast will be upgraded tomorrow , and that the connection will be down between 8 AM and 6 P (worst case scenario)

Can anyone that has been upgraded tell me if this indeed means all day, or will it be a few hours within this time frame ?

And just to re-iterate the point of people here more complaining than praising. I am with them now for 3 years and am 95% satisfied (-5% for contention in the evening that only sometimes presents issues for me)

I called them last week to see when I would be upgraded and if I needed to do anything or got a new modem. The answer was no..

I got a text this morning to say the mast will be upgraded tomorrow , and that the connection will be down between 8 AM and 6 P (worst case scenario)

Can anyone that has been upgraded tell me if this indeed means all day, or will it be a few hours within this time frame ?

And just to re-iterate the point of people here more complaining than praising. I am with them now for 3 years and am 95% satisfied (-5% for contention in the evening that only sometimes presents issues for me)

What kind of speeds do you get before and after the evening drop off?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

A steel pole is technically 5G ready, and are they having issues with some County councils being opposed to 5G now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Also .. the 5G, that the poster is referring to is the 5 GHz signal of the router ... has nothing to do with 5th Generation LTE.

/M

• Advertisement

paulbok wrote: »
    What kind of speeds do you get before and after the evening drop off?
    During day typically 40-50 Mb/s down, 5 up, from 6.30/7 PM it drops to about 5 Mb/s down and 2 Up , from 10.30 PM goes back up to 20 down and 4 up.

This really started to happen about a year ago, before that it was 20 Mb/s down in the peak as well. Let's see what happens tomorrow.

But like I said it is sporadically that the speeds in the evening cause an issue for us (well, me) The one suffering is usual my daughter on youtube.

Beats the 1.5Mb/s which is the alternative through the phone line

Marlow wrote: »
    Also .. the 5G, that the poster is referring to is the 5 GHz signal of the router ... has nothing to do with 5th Generation LTE.

/M

Correct, but you really wonder who came up with "A 5G ready Fixed Broadband network" which is what they call their service.

Marlow wrote: »

/M
    Didn't realise that about the poster - anybody got a picture of it?
    Is it on the small print of the poster?

• Registered Users Posts: 27 tubawaski

Imagine does technically use 5G, however it's 5G on the 3.6GHz band, so the speeds are similar to 4G speeds. You can check out https://www.comreg.ie/media/dlm_uploads/2017/05/ComReg-1738.pdf to see that they have indeed bought the spectrum.

There's also this from an article I've found "The 3.6GHz band is currently being used to provide wireless access services to around 25,000 people in rural areas, with 80pc of this market currently served by Imagine Communications."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Imagine are holding Vodafones spectrum. They're using it even though they've meant to have transitioned out.

Imagine bought the kids meal while VF/Eir/Three bought the meal for four.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

tubawaski wrote: »
    Imagine does technically use 5G, however it's 5G on the 3.6GHz band, so the speeds are similar to 4G speeds. You can check out https://www.comreg.ie/media/dlm_uploads/2017/05/ComReg-1738.pdf to see that they have indeed bought the spectrum.

There's also this from an article I've found "The 3.6GHz band is currently being used to provide wireless access services to around 25,000 people in rural areas, with 80pc of this market currently served by Imagine Communications."

It's still not 5G though. Just because they are using spectrum that may be used for 5G does not make it so.

I'd like to see where it say about the 5G being the frequency of the router.
    Is there any evidence of this ?
    If so, shouldn't it be reported to the advertising authority ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I'd like to see where it say about the 5G being the frequency of the router.
    Is there any evidence of this ?
    There are referring to the 5.8 GHz WiFi band of the router.

The Cush wrote: »
    There are referring to the 5.8 GHz WiFi band of the router.

I understand that's what you're saying - but where is this information being obtained from ? Is it on their poster or where does it say that ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35 TonyAdams1998

Interesting video on 5G. Seems that distance from the mast and any obstacles could be a huge hindrance.

https://youtu.be/_CTUs_2hq6Y

Advertisement