Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

The Cush wrote: »
    According to Comreg Lightnet transitioned out of its last remaining 3.6 GHz licenced area at the end of July, probably using one of the unlicensed bands now.

Sorry what does this mean? :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

joe123 wrote: »
    Sorry what does this mean? :)

It means, they may be using the same mast, but they certainly are not using the same infrastructure nor the same frequencies nor are they using the same backhaul (bandwidth to the mast).

So nothing relating to Imagine would really make a difference to your Lightnet service.

Best approach is to contact them and ask them, why you have such issue.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

About to install the new Modern Warfare, its a 120GB download xD

Wonder will Imagine get pissy with me?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,668 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

gooner99 wrote: »
    You can use this website to see what masts are close and if they are 3g/4g enabled. Click on the location marker to expand it to see the providor(s) that are on that mast.

https://siteviewer.comreg.ie

How do you tell if they are 3/4g enabled? Clicked on my local mast and all it is saying under services is GSM and UMTS. Does UMTS refer to 4g?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Muahahaha wrote: »
    How do you tell if they are 3/4g enabled? Clicked on my local mast and all it is saying under services is GSM and UMTS. Does UMTS refer to 4g?

LTE would be 4G. Though I'm not sure how up to date that map is in relation to new services being installed on masts.

• Advertisement

OK that makes more sense as Three are operating from the same mast and it lists LTE for them. Thing is Vodafone sold me 4G mobile broadband and from the status of my nearest two masts neither Vodafone connections are LTE enabled. As you said the map may not be up to date but something is telling me I was mis-sold 4G when it is not even in my area.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

OK that makes more sense as Three are operating from the same mast and it lists LTE for them. Thing is Vodafone sold me 4G mobile broadband and from the status of my nearest two masts neither Vodafone connections are LTE enabled. As you said the map may not be up to date but something is telling me I was mis-sold 4G when it is not even in my area.

That's quite possible. They'll sell it to anyone. It's up to the end user to ensure they are within coverage. It does seem an unfair practice though now that you mention it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

GSM = 2G
    UMTS = 3G
    LTE = 4G

There are more technologies, but thats just the general ghist.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

We've had 2 months of high usage so I'm expecting a strongly worded automatic email from them for this months usage. They send it out at around 750GB usage in the month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,163 ✭✭✭fish fingers

We've had 2 months of high usage so I'm expecting a strongly worded automatic email from them for this months usage. They send it out at around 750GB usage in the month.

Yeah, I was getting them in the summer when the kids were off school. Ah, feck them with their ****e broadband during peak.

• Advertisement

That's quite possible. They'll sell it to anyone. It's up to the end user to ensure they are within coverage. It does seem an unfair practice though now that you mention it.

Yeah Im a bit miffed now Ive found out that Im only getting 3G despite them selling me 4G in the shop.No wonder Im having problems streaming content. It seems they can get away with anything and just shove it back on the customer. Comreg are basically a toothless regulator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Yeah Im a bit miffed now Ive found out that Im only getting 3G despite them selling me 4G in the shop.No wonder Im having problems streaming content. It seems they can get away with anything and just shove it back on the customer. Comreg are basically a toothless regulator.

You have a 2 week cooling off period , Use it and stop whinging.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Yeah Im a bit miffed now Ive found out that Im only getting 3G despite them selling me 4G in the shop.
    TimHorton wrote: »
    You have a 2 week cooling off period...

Nope. The so-called "cooling off period" is a function of the distance selling regulations, which don't apply to anything you buy in a shop.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

So, I finally got the "5G" upgrade installed after a lot of nagging xD - I think I gave the go-ahead mid September. Install went smooth, the two lads were efficient and installed the new antenna (apparently they had two antenna options and would install whichever gave the best signal) and the new router. Signal strength was excellent and off peak now goes up to 100+ and just now c931d5aef786c0ae33e46137dcf27c42.png
    Not bad for peak and I haven't had that for ages.
    Took a bit of fiddling to get my own router going again, a call to support allegedly gave me login credentials to their router (to put it into bridge mode, which they dont support) but they did not work. It works for now by just connecting my router to one of the 2 LAN ports of the imagine router (Zentel? unmarked unit with just a model no. ZR612V) and have the ASUS automatically configured.
    Did a little test with Imagine's router WiFi and my ASUS' wifi - Imagine's Wifi was about half the speed (53 vs 23) in the same spot in the house.
    Let's hope it stays that way for a long time (as the NBP looks more shaky by the day my other options are very limited to non-existent).

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Hopefully you are not on Tonabrocky mast

morgana wrote: »
    So, I finally got the "5G" upgrade installed after a lot of nagging xD - I think I gave the go-ahead mid September. Install went smooth, the two lads were efficient and installed the new antenna (apparently they had two antenna options and would install whichever gave the best signal) and the new router. Signal strength was excellent and off peak now goes up to 100+ and just now c931d5aef786c0ae33e46137dcf27c42.png
    Not bad for peak and I haven't had that for ages.
    Took a bit of fiddling to get my own router going again, a call to support allegedly gave me login credentials to their router (to put it into bridge mode, which they dont support) but they did not work. It works for now by just connecting my router to one of the 2 LAN ports of the imagine router (Zentel? unmarked unit with just a model no. ZR612V) and have the ASUS automatically configured.
    Did a little test with Imagine's router WiFi and my ASUS' wifi - Imagine's Wifi was about half the speed (53 vs 23) in the same spot in the house.
    Let's hope it stays that way for a long time (as the NBP looks more shaky by the day my other options are very limited to non-existent).
    I have Imagine for 9 months now, my speeds early in the morning as below, am I on "5G" upgrade ?

8708544717.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I have Imagine for 9 months now, my speeds early in the morning as below, am I on "5G" upgrade ?

8708544717.png

I used have those speeds in Arklow until recently
    5Mb now
    Enjoy it while it lasts
    It doesn't
    Although to be fair I got about 2 yrs of those kind of daytime speeds
    So you might be alright for another while
    If the backhaul at your mast gets shared with another one of their masts,you will see a cliff edge drop
    That's becoming more and more likely as they are losing bandwidth not gaining it and they have NO 5g allocations at all in terms of frequency if you wade back through this thread
    That's why they mostly use the term 5g ready
    I'm attaching a photo of something that's also accurately described as 5g ready but only if you put a 5g mobile phone beside it
    It's ready then if three or voda turn it on locally...

Mortelaro wrote: »
    I used have those speeds in Arklow until recently
    5Mb now
    Enjoy it while it lasts
    It doesn't
    Although to be fair I got about 2 yrs of those kind of daytime speeds
    So you might be alright for another while
    If the backhaul at your mast gets shared with another one of their masts,you will see a cliff edge drop
    That's becoming more and more likely as they are losing bandwidth not gaining it and they have NO 5g allocations at all in terms of frequency if you wade back through this thread
    That's why they mostly use the term 5g ready
    I'm attaching a photo of something that's also accurately described as 5g ready but only if you put a 5g mobile phone beside it
    It's ready then if three or voda turn it on locally...
    My house is 5G ready, I have few sockets, ethernet cables and an antenna mast

My ears are nearly 5g ready
    To hear people with it
    Just need the techs to clear some wax :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

8710271498.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 880 ✭✭✭ifconfig

New customer with Imagine. Pleased so far with the broadband side of things (early days though).
    Their tech support is off today on account of Bank Hol Monday.
    Just wondering if anyone recognises this issue with the porting of their "landline" number ?

I can make outbound calls but not receiving inbound calls.
    When I go to voice features on the Imagine portal / MyImagine it lists a different number with my 094 Mayo prefix.
    When I click on "Load features" underneath where that number appears my correct number appears against the various settings (eg diverts, call blocking, etc)

Is this something which happens in transition ?

I got either a text or email around Friday saying that the porting of my number was complete .

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,934 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

8710271498.png

The most shocking thing about this speedtest is that it is still considered to be 53% faster than other connections in Ireland. Just goes to show we still have a long way to go to catch up on other European countries. We have too many dsl, wireless, slow VDSL connections, Imagine and mobile dongle connections holding this country back.

Ok
    Imagine have just left
    Speed had dropped to between 5 and 10 Mb
    They replaced the antenna and the modem to their new '5G ready ' gear

To be fair theres been a MASSIVE Improvement
    Getting 62 down at the moment
    The upload speed has tripled to 15Mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Do a speed test in around 4-5 hours and then report back. Not trying to be smart but it's the peak times that matter. Genuinely hope it stays that high but doubt it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Having a weird issue with port forwarding with the new GemTek router

For some reason SSH just won't forward

I have my security cams forwarded and FTP forwarding also, but SSH just does not connect
    I've also tried external port of 2230 to internal of 22 and still no joy (in case 22 is reserved)

It worked fine on the old Gemtek router.
    I can connect internally to SSH so I know it's running

Anybody else ever seen this ?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,811 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Having a weird issue with port forwarding with the new GemTek router

For some reason SSH just won't forward

I have my security cams forwarded and FTP forwarding also, but SSH just does not connect
    I've also tried external port of 2230 to internal of 22 and still no joy (in case 22 is reserved)

It worked fine on the old Gemtek router.
    I can connect internally to SSH so I know it's running

Anybody else ever seen this ?

Possible silly question, but are you certain the default gateway is correct on the SSH server?

Do a speed test in around 4-5 hours and then report back. Not trying to be smart but it's the peak times that matter. Genuinely hope it stays that high but doubt it

Oh I will
    Been with them 3 years so know the score
    My point was the swap multiplied the 5 to 10 dire speed immediately to 60 of a wet Friday evening when kids are off school so surely a good sign?

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Possible silly question, but are you certain the default gateway is correct on the SSH server?
    Hadn't checked - will do now

Gateway and DNS are both set as the Router address:
    DNS Server : 192.168.15.1
    Gateway :192.168.15.1

The SSHbox is DHCP and I'm assigning it a static IP address from the Router based on it's MAC address

I just logged into it and did a wget for www.google.com and it worked fine - so it seems to be connecting out with no issues

• Advertisement

76.6 now..

Advertisement