Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Signed up with Imagine this evening for their "non 5G" 5G service. I know, it is what it is.
    I'm tech savvy, but it's all I can get apart from 3's contention issues and hopefully this will be better. I'm sure these questions are answered already, but in relation to Imagine's new "5g" equipment.

If they mount the outdoor antenna, high up on my two storey house.
    Will they let me fish the antenna cable in the attic and put their router in my attic ?

Does their router automatically enter "bridge mode", if I plug it into my "google mesh" setup or do I have to ask them to provide login details.

Do they still do "fixed ip's'" ?

Yep you can run the cable yourself. My installers gave me about 50metres extra as I wanted to run it from my shed (which I did myself after the install)

They will open ports for you but they do not allow the router to go into bridged mode. The router is pretty much locked down which is a pain. You have to email them what ports you want open

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

So I've done ****ing everything and I'm led to believe Imagine's setup or whatever the **** they've done has made it impossible for me to connect to XBL. On multiple PCs I'm unable to connect to it.

p7s0zSJ.png

Like even if the Settings app says open and connected, it still won't work. I can't check with my phone tethering because it's NAT 3 and IDK how to even begin to change that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

Contact Imagine customer service and go through the motions with them is all I can say. They can remotely access your router and change stuff that they do not allow the customer to do. I'm not with imagine and I'm not very good with networking so can't really help any other way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

So I've done ****ing everything and I'm led to believe Imagine's setup or whatever the **** they've done has made it impossible for me to connect to XBL. On multiple PCs I'm unable to connect to it.

p7s0zSJ.png

Like even if the Settings app says open and connected, it still won't work. I can't check with my phone tethering because it's NAT 3 and IDK how to even begin to change that.

Have you tried all this: https://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-on-windows/social/troubleshoot-party-chat

deadl0ck wrote: »

Yes.

I found a workaround last night that involves me opening the Xbox Companion app and signing in, then the Xbox beta app and signing in then whatever game I want to play. Don't know how of why that works.

It never used to be like this though which is why I'm still suspicious of something or someone ****ing up somewhere in the pipeline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

8814036800.png

Can I buy a new router from amazon and and use that instead of the one they gave me? The range on the current one isn't good at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Can I buy a new router from amazon and and use that instead of the one they gave me? The range on the current one isn't good at all.

Yes (kind of). You just plug a network cable into one of the LAN ports on the Imagine router and plug the other end of the cable into the WAN port of your new router. You can then use the wireless network on the new router.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,664 ✭✭✭Zimmerframe

mossie wrote: »
    I had Imagine out 4 months ago and couldn't get an installation due to signal issues. My neighbour got a connection last week so I contacted them again yesterday and was told they have a new mast active since mid October that should give me a signal. Anyway I've signed up again and I'm waiting to see what happens.

Hope more happens for you than for me.
    They arrived today, exact same "non signal". The "new mast" I believe, only exists in the salesmans head. Another morning wasted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Hope more happens for you than for me.
    They arrived today, exact same "non signal". The "new mast" I believe, only exists in the salesmans head. Another morning wasted.

My neighbour across the road got it a couple of weeks ago so I'm hoping that means I will be able to get it too. I should know in an hour or so as they're due between 1030 and 1100.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Your poor neighbour is going to have a speed drop when they connect you :(

Monitor your evening speed
    If you're used to 2 or 3Mb and are getting 10 at the lowest at 8 or 9pm,you'll be happy enough probably
    Don't expect the daytime speed at connection to be the norm

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

My neighbour across the road got it a couple of weeks ago so I'm hoping that means I will be able to get it too. I should know in an hour or so as they're due between 1030 and 1100.

I'm getting >20mbps in the evenings so don't believe everything you read on here. They'll probably tell me I'm wrong though.

xxyyzz wrote: »
    I'm getting >20mbps in the evenings so don't believe everything you read on here. They'll probably tell me I'm wrong though.

They arrived did a test and got a signal. Doing the install right now. I'm getting 2 to 4 meg on DSL so if I'm getting 20+ I'll be happy.

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Your poor neighbour is going to have a speed drop when they connect you :(

Monitor your evening speed
    If you're used to 2 or 3Mb and are getting 10 at the lowest at 8 or 9pm,you'll be happy enough probably
    Don't expect the daytime speed at connection to be the norm

He's been averaging 70Mb, up to 140 by day. Like your said coming from where I am anything's a big improvement

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Has anyone replaced the imagine Router with a higher end router?

I need static IP Routing/Forwarding on their Router for a smartdns service I'm subbed to.

Anyone here done this on imagine?

I dread trying to explain this to first level tech support if I have to call them.

Pm me if you know what needs to be done

Thanks! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

amadablam wrote: »
    Has anyone replaced the imagine Router with a higher end router?

I need static IP Routing/Forwarding on their Router for a smartdns service I'm subbed to.

Anyone here done this on imagine?

I dread trying to explain this to first level tech support if I have to call them.

Pm me if you know what needs to be done

Thanks! :)

I only way I got port forwarding done was to email them what I needed done. There was then about a week turn around to get the ports open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

user1842 wrote: »
    I only way I got port forwarding done was to email them what I needed done. There was then about a week turn around to get the ports open.

Thanks for your help! I figured that trying to do this with them on the phone would lead to some serious frustration at my side :o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

pawrick wrote: »
    Getting a consistent 20 to 30 down with eir mobile broadband at the moment, just received a text from imagine to say there is now extra capacity in my area (it's been full past few years when i checked) - would I be mad to switch? (three reception is terrible for data in my area and cant get a telephone pole put in the neighbours field so fibre is out)

I was in the exact situation you are and I decided to take the plunge and go with imagine. Have to say I am very happy with it so far (it's only been a week though). Consistently over 40mb and up to 70mb

Perhaps it will degrade over time but for now it's the same price as eir with a much better service.

I have not yet cancelled eir but I will be doing that in a few days I think - i'm dreading that actually given the Kafkaesque experiences I've had in the past with eir support :)

p.s. I *think* they put up a new mast in my case which may be why it is not oversubscribed yet (I pray it won't be)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

adm wrote: »

I have not yet cancelled eir but I will be doing that in a few days I think - i'm dreading that actually given the Kafkaesque experiences I've had in the past with eir support :)

Just send a registered letter, don't bother trying to phone them

https://www.eir.ie/switching/ (bottom of the page)

Registered letter is safer too as you have proof that it was sent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

tuxy wrote: »
    Just send a registered letter, don't bother trying to phone them

https://www.eir.ie/switching/ (bottom of the page)

Registered letter is safer too as you have proof that it was sent.

Yep that's how I did it, no phone calls or up selling bull just an email of freedom when it was done :)

• Advertisement

adm wrote: »
    I was in the exact situation you are and I decided to take the plunge and go with imagine. Have to say I am very happy with it so far (it's only been a week though). Consistently over 40mb and up to 70mb

Perhaps it will degrade over time but for now it's the same price as eir with a much better service.

p.s. I *think* they put up a new mast in my case which may be why it is not oversubscribed yet (I pray it won't be)

Same for me has never gone under 40mb and is usually in the 60mb to 70 mb range. well over 15 time my landline speed.

Same for me has never gone under 40mb and is usually in the 60mb to 70 mb range. well over 15 time my landline speed.

Yeah I had that experience for about 2 years
    But remember imagines business model is if they don't over sell the mast,they'll close it
    Hopefully Ftth will reach you before then

xxyyzz wrote: »
    Yes (kind of). You just plug a network cable into one of the LAN ports on the Imagine router and plug the other end of the cable into the WAN port of your new router. You can then use the wireless network on the new router.

I've don this but I find it slows my connection having two routers as such.

I've don this but I find it slows my connection having two routers as such.

It shouldn't be
    Is it slower on wifi or on a cable connection into your 2nd router?

Make sure imagines wifi is off,you may ring them and they'll turn that off
    Use trial and error changing the channel number of the 2nd router until you find one that gives strongest signal in your house

If testing speed over the wifi use the 5g wifi (as opposed to the 2.4) as it's faster almost the same as wired when beside the modem

Wifi speeds will fall off sharply the further you go from the router and off a cliff a few rooms away with a few walls weakening it

It shouldn't be
    Is it slower on wifi or on a cable connection into your 2nd router?

Make sure imagines wifi is off,you may ring them and they'll turn that off
    Use trial and error changing the channel number of the 2nd router until you find one that gives strongest signal in your house

If testing speed over the wifi use the 5g wifi (as opposed to the 2.4) as it's faster almost the same as wired when beside the modem

Wifi speeds will fall off sharply the further you go from the router and off a cliff a few rooms away with a few walls weakening it

Thanks. It's definitely slower on wifi. Just tested now with my phone using 5G wifi on both and from the same place. I switched networks and there was a difference of 20mb. This seems to be the norm but maybe it's just that my old router isn't the best. I just tried my laptop wired and that seems pretty much the same on both.

Thanks. It's definitely slower on wifi. Just tested now with my phone using 5G wifi on both and from the same place. I switched networks and there was a difference of 20mb. This seems to be the norm but maybe it's just that my old router isn't the best. I just tried my laptop wired and that seems pretty much the same on both.
    You will have to do multiple tests with a wisp
    No two tests on imagine will be the same
    Its quite common for there to be 20mb in the difference
    Ergo it's hard to say if you end up doing s like for like enough comparison
    Use vodafone or Digiweb as your server for consistency
    Black night carlow as the crow flies is always the one speed test.net chooses for me but tests are slower always from carlow for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Use vodafone or Digiweb as your server for consistency
    Black night carlow as the crow flies is always the one speed test.net chooses for me but tests are slower always from carlow for me

All down to peering. You can try to traceroute to an ISP to see what path it takes.

"Tracert airwire.speedtest.net" to airwires speedtest.net server in Galway. It is not a rule, but it works for most others like it.

That tells you how much of a detour the test takes.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭fearrchair

Internet Speeds for Imagine seem very intermittent or slow recently in Galway. Its no where near the up to 70mb, but has deteriorated from 20mb to 5mb or less. At times there is no upload at all...

Not sure is it my own setup or what it is. I noticed last night that the little box has 2015 firmware on it if that was an issue.

Looking at the fiber rollout it seems to be a mile away in two directions but has stopped. Although work on the N84 laying cables might help that could be monthes off, if ever.

At this stage woud be tempted to try 3G / 4G broadband. Unless I plug out items to see have I something thats pulling it down.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Down for anyone else in the Donegal town area this evening? Dropped at around 3:30. I realize the irony of asking this on an internet forum lol, glad I kept my 3 modem and antennas ready to hotswap with my access point router.

• Advertisement

8845124710.png

It's gone to **** tonight.

Advertisement