Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GForce72

As an existing 4G customer, do I need to sign a contract to upgrade to the 5G service? So far, two supposed callbacks, two messages and three emails have proven to be a waste of time, as of yet nobody has had the manners to contact me. Managed to finally talk to someone with the online chat only to be told I was talking to the wrong department and then re-directed. 35 minutes later I gave up waiting. Customer service is absolutely horrendous. Shockingly awful. I suspect if I missed a payment there would be no hesitation in contacting me! At the moment my speed is negligible. Taken 6 hours so far to download 14GB for sons XBox. Speed keeps falling under 1Mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

GForce72 wrote: »
    As an existing 4G customer, do I need to sign a contract to upgrade to the 5G service? So far, two supposed callbacks, two messages and three emails have proven to be a waste of time, as of yet nobody has had the manners to contact me. Managed to finally talk to someone with the online chat only to be told I was talking to the wrong department and then re-directed. 35 minutes later I gave up waiting. Customer service is absolutely horrendous. Shockingly awful. I suspect if I missed a payment there would be no hesitation in contacting me! At the moment my speed is negligible. Taken 6 hours so far to download 14GB for sons XBox. Speed keeps falling under 1Mbps.

Download in the middle of the night as it will be far, far quicker. The Xbox can download while it's in standby mode. Just google it to see what settings to set to download that way on Xbox.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

Normally service resumed

8906287258.png

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

They don't have 5G, they have upgrade it is still 4G, I don't know how do they make faster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 GForce72

Download in the middle of the night as it will be far, far quicker. The Xbox can download while it's in standby mode. Just google it to see what settings to set to download that way on Xbox.

Thank you, I appreciate the advice. The XBox statement was more of an aside though. I have a photo but I don't know how to insert it here. After approx. 10hrs., 21.78GB had downloaded. The speed at the time of the photo was 502.40Kbps. Not really what I expect when I'm paying €60p/m!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

After approx. 10hrs., 21.78GB had downloaded. The speed at the time of the photo was 502.40Kbps. Not really what I expect when I'm paying €60p/m!

many people with Imagine rarely see higher than 10 or 15mb, a few rarely see higher than 6. There are a few who are lucky and are on masts which are closeby and also not many customers on them (usually new masts) where speeds can go beyond 200mb early in the day. Signing up to Imagine is in no way a guarantee of fast internet, despite all their claims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Gonzo wrote: »
    many people with Imagine rarely see higher than 10 or 15mb, a few rarely see higher than 6. There are a few who are lucky and are on masts which are closeby and also not many customers on them (usually new masts) where speeds can go beyond 200mb early in the day. Signing up to Imagine is in no way a guarantee of fast internet, despite all their claims.

Not my experience to be honest - I'd say my average speed is about 20-30mb with it hitting the 80s early in the day. I'm with them a couple of years so it's not a new mast and I'm 14KM from the mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Not my experience to be honest - I'd say my average speed is about 20-30mb with it hitting the 80s early in the day. I'm with them a couple of years so it's not a new mast and I'm 14KM from the mast.
    Same here. 2 years with them and the service has only improved.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

Unfortunately the opposite for my parents. When connected two years ago the service started around 30mbps and now is around 10mbps off-peak (upload was always under 1mbps). Over Christmas the service was basically unusable (most of my family switched their phones back to mobile data).

Ballina mast.

user1842 wrote: »
    Unfortunately the opposite for my parents. When connected two years ago the service started around 30mbps and now is around 10mbps off-peak (upload was always under 1mbps). Over Christmas the service was basically unusable (most of my family switched their phones back to mobile data).

Ballina mast.

That's very poor.
    Are you 100% sure there is nothing doing uploads in the background ?

I have CrashPlan on my laptop and over the Christmas I forgot to turn it off during weekdays as I'd normally be in work, so it was trying to backup my entire laptop.
    Once my upload is swamped my whole network grinds to a halt and becomes totally unusable. I rang Imagine and was working through the problem until I realised it was my backup running - then everything was 100% again once I turned it off.

Chances are you don't have anything running doing uploads but it's worth checking as it completely kills the connection (XBox live is a hoor for this too if it decides to auto update a game etc...)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

That's very poor.
    Are you 100% sure there is nothing doing uploads in the background ?

I have CrashPlan on my laptop and over the Christmas I forgot to turn it off during weekdays as I'd normally be in work, so it was trying to backup my entire laptop.
    Once my upload is swamped my whole network grinds to a halt and becomes totally unusable. I rang Imagine and was working through the problem until I realised it was my backup running - then everything was 100% again once I turned it off.

Chances are you don't have anything running doing uploads but it's worth checking as it completely kills the connection (XBox live is a hoor for this too if it decides to auto update a game etc...)

Unfortunately there is nothing going on in the background. We are an edge case, we rang Imagine and an engineer came out who stated that the service should never have been installed in the first place. I assume as more and more people joined the Ballina mast our service kept decreasing. I just hope we are not waiting forever for the NBP.

B.T.W. the engineer said imagine would disconnect our service as we could not get their new faster "5G" service. My parents panicked and after a few calls, Imagine said we could keep it. I think we are probably on borrowed spectrum and that any day now it will be disconnected.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

user1842 wrote: »
    I just hope we are not waiting forever for the NBP.

As there will be an election this year,you need to make this clear to your local politicians
    There is still a chance some of them will cancel the NBP even forfeiting whatever that costs citing the children's hospital etc
    Know this risk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Must have a mast almost to myself so, I mean almost 7pm and still rocking along.

8912234947.png

god's toy wrote: »
    Must have a mast almost to myself so, I mean almost 7pm and still rocking along.

8912234947.png

Wowzers - nice ! Where are you ?

In fairness - this ain't half bad either for 7:36PM on a Friday:
    8912351634.png

Wowzers - nice ! Where are you ?

In fairness - this ain't half bad either for 7:36PM on a Friday:
    8912351634.png

Wicklow/Rathdrum

8912234947.png

Yeah an empty mast sector that's obvious
    But we've said that before
    Its the mast in Ashford too or is it mine,barrackcroghan?
    You can see barrackcroghan from rathdrum graveyard
    Its Quite the edge of the distance for imagine but then so is Ashford

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Yeah an empty mast sector that's obvious
    But we've said that before
    Its the mast in Ashford too or is it mine,barrackcroghan?
    You can see barrackcroghan from rathdrum graveyard
    Its Quite the edge of the distance for imagine but then so is Ashford

Yep my antenna is pointing towards barrackcroghan one so Id suppose that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭seanvanseanvan

8912838704.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I got it in about a month ago. My top speed is around 90, average around 60 I'd say. On the rare occasion it drops low a reboot of the router solved it and died sent back up to normal.

Yep my antenna is pointing towards barrackcroghan one so Id suppose that's it.

Heh,I'm on that and a lot closer than you ,just 6kms,and only getting half what you have,often sub 20
    You will drop then,its only a matter of time
    Never got over 200,even when I was first on it 3 years ago
    Enjoy your current peaks while it lasts,it won't but you'll still get 40 to 60 or so when either your profile changes due to someone else giving out or more customers added to that sector

That said,you are most of the time going to have useful internet from there as opposed to some of the customers who post here

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Heh,I'm on that and a lot closer than you ,just 6kms,and only getting half what you have,often sub 20
    You will drop then,its only a matter of time
    Never got over 200,even when I was first on it 3 years ago
    Enjoy your current peaks while it lasts,it won't but you'll still get 40 to 60 or so when either your profile changes due to someone else giving out or more customers added to that sector

That said,you are most of the time going to have useful internet from there as opposed to some of the customers who post here

Maybe, 4-ish months in and its still full speed at here... however, the end of the day as long as I have usable internet that was better than 15mb Eircon game me and it holds on being usable until something better comes along then I'm OK with it/them

Maybe, 4-ish months in and its still full speed at here... however, the end of the day as long as I have usable internet that was better than 15mb Eircon game me and it holds on being usable until something better comes along then I'm OK with it/them

Yeah It didnt slow for about 2 years on that mast
    Its still way better for me than most masts
    Currently 77 down for example
    It does dip under 30 at times
    Your traffic is probably prioritized in your profile,I expect mine was
    You're forgotten about then until it's someone else's turn
    Barrackcroghan is still a relatively empty mast because most of its coverage area has Ftth
    I suspect imagine were persuaded to come there when the windmills were put up as a sap to locals who then had poor broadband
    Ironically most of them now have ftth

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rlaffey

Hi All,

So my speeds with Imagine have dropped off significantly in the evening with Imagine since the start of December. New Years Day I couldn't even connect at 8pm. Speeds have ranged anywhere from 120 Kbps to about 11 Mbps. Average is close to 5.

During the day my average is anywhere between 150 and 210 Mbps.

I've been bombarding Imagine with screenshots over the last week with speed test results (which they asked for). Today they called me to say the acceptable speed from a high site in the evening (Abbeyknockmoy in Galway in my case) is anything over 5 Mbps !

Has anyone else experienced a reply like that? 10 I'd be happy with if it was consistent but some nights I can't even load a basic website.

rlaffey wrote: »
    Hi All,

So my speeds with Imagine have dropped off significantly in the evening with Imagine since the start of December. New Years Day I couldn't even connect at 8pm. Speeds have ranged anywhere from 120 Kbps to about 11 Mbps. Average is close to 5.

During the day my average is anywhere between 150 and 210 Mbps.

I've been bombarding Imagine with screenshots over the last week with speed test results (which they asked for). Today they called me to say the acceptable speed from a high site in the evening (Abbeyknockmoy in Galway in my case) is anything over 5 Mbps !

Has anyone else experienced a reply like that? 10 I'd be happy with if it was consistent but some nights I can't even load a basic website.

I think support are contactable till 8PM (but I could be wrong) - I'd say your best best is to call them when it's really bad and do that a few times and then say that it's that bad all the time in the evenings. The can't deny it then if they check the speeds at that time and have it on record.

I dunno about the 5MB - when I had mine put in the guys told me they would not install it for anything under 20 - but that's easy enough to get above it the call out at 11am and do a test.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4 rlaffey

I think support are contactable till 8PM (but I could be wrong) - I'd say your best best is to call them when it's really bad and do that a few times and then say that it's that bad all the time in the evenings. The can't deny it then if they check the speeds at that time and have it on record.

I dunno about the 5MB - when I had mine put in the guys told me they would not install it for anything under 20 - but that's easy enough to get above it the call out at 11am and do a test.....

The issue is it gets really bad after 8pm and I've called them at 7.50pm at least twice - If their threshold is 5 Mbps then and they see that as acceptable then they won't take any action and that's very apparent from dealing with support. They have people on first line support that really don't have a clue.......the guy last week appeared to have no idea what contention was. He could quote the signal strength and tell me everything was fine.......yet appeared unwilling to accept from me as the customer experiencing that the performance was inadequate. He eventually performed a speedtest at 6Mbps or so and said he'd send to next level.......that was today's call saying 5Mbps is fine.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Hi All,

New Years Day I couldn't even connect at 8pm. Speeds have ranged anywhere from 120 Kbps to about 11 Mbps. Average is close to 5.

Today they called me to say the acceptable speed from a high site in the evening (Abbeyknockmoy in Galway in my case) is anything over 5 Mbps !

Imagine have gone from trying to reach a minimum of 30 Mbps to calling 5 Mbps acceptable! As you said yourself this is barely enough to load google or any website. A bit of a disgraceful reply from a company that advertises 'fibre' like speeds of 150Mbps 'Seriously Quick Broadband' on a 'Terabyte Connection'. 'We’re the network that consistently delivers on speed and performance'.

Is there any other provider you can go with?

Who said 5mb is fine
    Ask him will he call to your house and explain why a 2nd or 3rd person cannot use the internet
    5Mb fine indeed
    Muppets

Imagine have gone from trying to reach a minimum of 30 Mbps to calling 5 Mbps acceptable! As you said yourself this is barely enough to load google or any website. A bit of a disgraceful reply from a company that advertises 'fibre' like speeds of 150Mbps 'Seriously Quick Broadband' on a 'Terabyte Connection'. 'We’re the network that consistently delivers on speed and performance'.

Is there any other provider you can go with?
    In fairness 5mb is not "barely enough to load google or any website."
    I had 5MB with Eircom for years before I switched to Imagine and that worked for Netflix no problem.
    It's not what he's paying for, but saying it's barely enough for google is a bit over exaggerating....

The issue is it gets really bad after 8pm and I've called them at 7.50pm at least twice - If their threshold is 5 Mbps then and they see that as acceptable then they won't take any action and that's very apparent from dealing with support. They have people on first line support that really don't have a clue.......the guy last week appeared to have no idea what contention was. He could quote the signal strength and tell me everything was fine.......yet appeared unwilling to accept from me as the customer experiencing that the performance was inadequate. He eventually performed a speedtest at 6Mbps or so and said he'd send to next level.......that was today's call saying 5Mbps is fine.
    I think you managed to get talking to some idiots. I've been at 10-15 meg and have have support say that was not acceptable and they helped me sort it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Gone to the dogs this evening. :mad:

8923944519.png

8923946341.png

Ethernet this time.

Advertisement