Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Yeah I can't see a 4:1 ratio myself if the speeds are going to drop this much during peak times, it's not on.
    That's what I was told too though. No way it could be 4:1. I didn't believe him either.
    Asked him how they're doing that? He just said that's what it is, wanting to provide a quality service. Hhmm....

5443946771.png

Just to prove it, I'll post another speedtest in the morning, to show it going back to normal service.
    Hey maybe check what your download speed like at the time people download a lot.I think it 1am to 7am it be interesting to see what your speed be at them times.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

rob808 wrote: »
    Hey maybe check what your download speed like at the time people download a lot.I think it 1am to 7am it be interesting to see what your speed be at them times.

I've done speed tests after the 12am time alright. I'll dig some out of my speed results and post here. They're random speeds. Most good, some not.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5426952411
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5429696035
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5436326404

Overall it seems for the most part, these cap-free zones are not affected.
    It's the main user evening peak that is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

rob808 wrote: »

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2032795140
    This is a test from 6am this morning. Surprisingly one of the best tests for me but that's not saying much as the speed overall has been terrible for me

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Can one of you guys PM me your public IP if its not something you mind divulging. Be interested to see how much one could detect.

irishchris wrote: »
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2032795140
    This is a test from 6am this morning. Surprisingly one of the best tests for me but that's not saying much as the speed overall has been terrible for me

Well I'd say your speeds will improve when you get the installers out again to lower and re-direct that box. I wouldn't be happy with them speeds considering what we've seem them reach with the service. Something else I noticed from your earlier pic, get him to mount it on the wall with all 4 screws instead of only 2! Poor form from whoever them subcontractors were.

• Advertisement

Well I'd say your speeds will improve when you get the installers out again to lower and re-direct that box. I wouldn't be happy with them speeds considering what we've seem them reach with the service. Something else I noticed from your earlier pic, get him to mount it on the wall with all 4 screws instead of only 2! Poor form from whoever them subcontractors were.

Fingers crossed improves when they call out in morning. In fairness all the work practically done for them in terms of drilling and ducting to run the cable into. The agent who rang with the booking said they may decide not to do it though as is up to installer on the day. I'm not happy with any aspect of the install and asked for different crew to come tomorrow. Hopefully they will know what they are doing lol
    Had quick look at photo of the install as dark out now but seems like the the screw holes which are showing have screws but maybe my eyes lol Either way it was a dodgy install even down to throwing the cable in the gutter instead of pinning it.

Apologies to the installers if it is fixed with 4 screws, I just had a quick glance at your pics, thought I saw only 1 on either end. My bad.
    Anyway it's good they're coming out again. Don't take any excuses. You want the best signal strength you can get. And height for that matter.
    Was there no option of installing on the roof chimney breast? My installers gave me that option. Didn't need to though the side wall like yours was sufficient.

ED E wrote: »
    Can one of you guys PM me your public IP if its not something you mind divulging. Be interested to see how much one could detect.

Detect what?

Apologies to the installers if it is fixed with 4 screws, I just had a quick glance at your pics, thought I saw only 1 on either end. My bad.
    Anyway it's good they're coming out again. Don't take any excuses. You want the best signal strength you can get. And height for that matter.
    Was there no option of installing on the roof chimney breast? My installers gave me that option. Didn't need to though the side wall like yours was sufficient.

I wouldn't apologise for slating those installers. Simply not good enough in most regards. I asked originally for it to be put on chimney but he said wouldn't go on roof! The wall it is in had great los though but slightly more to left and would completely miss the neighbours shed so baffles me why they put it where they did.
    Going to ensure it is done right tomorrow or I am willing for them to take the equipment back and will return to my previous provider

He said he wouldn't go on the roof, or the box wouldn't go on the roof?
    Was it raining or something? He should be going on the roof first. They have roof ladders. You want decent height, especially in the likes of housing estates or where trees lying in wait.

• Advertisement

He said he wouldn't go on the roof, or the box wouldn't go on the roof?
    Was it raining or something? He should be going on the roof first. They have roof ladders. You want decent height, especially in the likes of housing estates or where trees lying in wait.
    Was raining at the time alright hence why this turned out to be a rush setup with the outdoor side of it. He said he wouldn't go up on roof and looked for handiest spot
    Am in largely rural area but where they placed it defies logic as all of that side of house has clear Los but where they put it could have bit of signal block from neighbours shed due to where they put it.
    Let's see what happens tomorrow and let's hope it doesn't rain :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

irishchris wrote: »
    I wouldn't apologise for slating those installers. Simply not good enough in most regards. I asked originally for it to be put on chimney but he said wouldn't go on roof! The wall it is in had great los though but slightly more to left and would completely miss the neighbours shed so baffles me why they put it where they did.
    Going to ensure it is done right tomorrow or I am willing for them to take the equipment back and will return to my previous provider

I have noticed the units installed on walls quite a lot rather than on chimneys, and this is consistent with their Wimax outdoor installs too. Strange, as the usual FWA install style is to put it on the chimney.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

@irishchris - I'm just thinking you could get some great data for beating up Imagine if you ran the regular type of speed test that Morgana uses. I think it was mentioned that all you need to do is set up an account with speedtest.net.

Just on the topic of peak time speeds and stability, it still has either teething problems, or this is a sign of the future.
    Bordering under the 30M again this evening, like the issues I was seeing last week. So inconsistent.
    Once it's off-peak it's back up to a solid 80M every time. I don't understand it. I was told the contention ratio is 4:1. Shouldn't be this bad already.
    If it's going to get worse in the near future, it is definitely not worth 60 euro a month.

5443667277.png

5443680561.png

BOOM! Back up to advertised "fiber speeds" in the space of a few hours.
    Let be honest, it's the peak times that matter to everyone. It is just not an acceptable drop in performance.

5444719913.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

I don't understand it.

I was told the contention ratio is 4:1.

94 ÷ 4 = 23 -ish

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,029 ✭✭✭um7y1h83ge06nx

Think I'm going to sit on the fence a bit and see how it holds up over the next few months.

One thing - 20GB a day download limit seems like a lot but if you're a gamer and legitimately purchase a game from Steam, Xbox Live, Playstation Network many of them will be greater than 20GB.

Apart from that it's probably hard to exceed unless you are major torrenting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

BOOM! Back up to advertised "fiber speeds" in the space of a few hours.
    Let be honest, it's the peak times that matter to everyone. It is just not an acceptable drop in performance.

5444719913.png

yup, same here. Back at 80+ this morning.

Here is the worst single speed i recorded last night though the highest was in the 40s. Very inconsistent at peak times alright
    5443918726.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

So let me get this straight, they are no longer guaranteeing a 30Mb minimum all day long? It is just 30Mb at the point of install, after that it could drop way down to next to useless levels?

400 connections all on the same base station. What is the maximum bandwidth at the station? I'm thinking this is going to end up just as bad as all the other products out there and its going to be €60.......

The longer this thread goes on, the worse this seems. Has anyone phoned up Imagine and said "I am not getting 30Mb minimum"? If so, what did they say? WHat is their exact answer to that?

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Assume that 1Gig feeds each site, and if all 400 go on at the same time this gives an average of 2.56Mb/s - its all physics and hoping not everybody is not on at the same time. If there is no fibre feeding these sites its more likely the backhaul will be less than 700Meg if being fed over microwave - this brings this average down below 2.
    You cannot make a silk purse out of a sow's ear

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Hi all, I am due for an install today. Living in Berrings Cork, Rylane mast I think..? Going on the speed test results posted here the drop off can be significant and inconsistent especially at peak times. This is true with most providers, although I agree, unacceptable. With all of these people complaining about the low speeds and inconsistency at peak times I assume all of you with speed problems have contacted imagine as well as complaining here..? If so what have imagines cs replied with? As I said I am due for an install today. All going well I will post some speed results and images later. I do however feel that this is a new service and as such there will be constant upgrades, problems, etc as more and more people connect. Give it a few more months and see how this settles down. If your unhappy then just switch back to your previous provider. Imagine are only penalising you 100euro if you decide the product is not up to scratch and cancel.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Waffleon wrote: »
    Hi all, I am due for an install today. Living in Berrings Cork, Rylane mast I think..? Going on the speed test results posted here the drop off can be significant and inconsistent especially at peak times. This is true with most providers, although I agree, unacceptable. With all of these people complaining about the low speeds and inconsistency at peak times I assume all of you with speed problems have contacted imagine as well as complaining here..? If so what have imagines cs replied with? As I said I am due for an install today. All going well I will post some speed results and images later. I do however feel that this is a new service and as such there will be constant upgrades, problems, etc as more and more people connect. Give it a few more months and see how this settles down. If your unhappy then just switch back to your previous provider. Imagine are only penalising you 100euro if you decide the product is not up to scratch and cancel.

Thanks imagine, but do you know when i will get my deposit back ?
    Many Thanks

well i had the installers back. in fairness they had no issues moving the cable where i wanted. He even went in the narrow void that i had offered to go into to feed the cable in from outside.
    speeds have steadied somewhat but still getting max 53 mbs which for off peak hours is not spectacular and leads me to think peak hours are still not going to be great

5445075204.png

5445093938.png

now not so good

5445091379.png

best result yet
    5445098088.png

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    Thanks imagine, but do you know when i will get my deposit back ?
    Many Thanks

Hehe....I have no affiliation with imagine, but you are free to presume what you may. If you want your deposit back then keep annoying imagine for it. There are procedures you can follow if they don't return it... Complaining here isn't going to make it magically appear in your bank account is it..??

Waffleon wrote: »
    Hehe....I have no affiliation with imagine, but you are free to presume what you may. If you want your deposit back then keep annoying imagine for it. There are procedures you can follow if they don't return it... Complaining here isn't going to make it magically appear in your bank account is it..??

Only joking ye, but his is what boards and threads like this are all about,
    to find out about a service before we sign up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

I am seeing similar results to what everyone is experiencing here. Speeds commonly mid to low 20s mbps download at peak times. Speeds are typically mid 50's at off peak times. I was seeing mid 50's at peak and non peak when first connected so it appears to be degrading over time which is likely due to number of connections?

Detect what?

How many connections are live.

This is the problem with Permanet, finally spoke to some about my speeds 1/3mb
    " you see the problem is contention ", so you have over subscript to the service. "No its contention" ,so too many customers on the service, "No ,its contention"
    "we will send a engineer out",. ok.
    Cant see what hes going to do, but will see.

@Morgana I note your speedwave is gone (would be nice to see your peak/offpeak comparison), personal choice or were you asked?

• Advertisement

Will they struggle getting 400 per area considering people in towns have other options, just rural areas will be interested ,people like me, but then they cancel service because to far out for good signal, so the contention might not get that bad surely ?

Advertisement