Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Can/Will Imagine install their antenna on to a pole?

My house has External Wall Insulation and the wife is loath to get any installers drilling holes in the wall because of that. I know Imagine (nor Sky) will touch it as it is not a standard install.

My current plan for Sky is to put a pole in back garden (i've checked the position we'd need the dish to be pointing and that should be fine) - something like this: https://www.satworld.ie/patio-ground-mount-sky-dish-900mm-x-33mm-3-x-1-1-4.html

For Imagine, assuming I can get LoS from this location, would Imagine have an issue putting their stuff either on that pole or a similar one?

What's wrong with your chimney ?

Mines on my chimney on my saorview aerial pole.

No one ewis their chimney :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,048 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Been with them a few years, speeds nothing amazing 10 - 20 MBPS but was happy enough, Over the last few months my router keeps restarting, logged a call was told its a known issue with the router.

Engineers came out today replaced both the Antenna & Router (newer Gemtek Model), shortly after they left started to notice my laptop keeps losing its internet connection (not wifi) for a few seconds at a time but recovers without restarting anything, so annoying now. Trying a ping external to www.rte.ie during this time I get “Request timed out”, this only happens for a few seconds then the all is ok again, but its happening a few times every min or so.

Same issue with phones & Ipad over wifi. Connected direct using ethernet cable to the router same issue, router has all Leds lit up as normal e.g Sys, two bar signal led. Router never restarts or drops leds e.g. Signal strength.

Rang them a few times today, they don’t seem to know what wrong, talk about locking the cell, or moving me to another site.

I suspect it’s a faulty or misconfigured router, or signaling issue as my signal strength used to be 3 bars now it up and down from 1 to 2 bars.

Anyone seen anything like this before with Imagine?

Usually they test the signal before leaving. Did they do this ?

I had one problem with my install. The cable outside had a slice in it water ran down the coax and sat in it. I had to move the cable in the attic slightly and when moved the sitting water ran down the cable and destroyed the router.

That's the only issue I had bad cabling

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

listermint wrote: »
    Usually they test the signal before leaving. Did they do this ?

I had one problem with my install. The cable outside had a slice in it water ran down the coax and sat in it. I had to move the cable in the attic slightly and when moved the sitting water ran down the cable and destroyed the router.

That's the only issue I had bad cabling

Yeah they did a speed test initially it was very poor not even 1mb, he rang back to the office changed nothing but it started working 40 mbps.

Only after they left did i notice the dropping issue, unable to ping anything for a few seconds, this is constantly happening 3 times every minute.

Yeah id say he damaged the cable pulling down the 20ft poll, they reused the existing cable which was probably a bad idea.

Gone completely now, guess they screwed up the replacement antenna or maybe the athlone high site is out with this wind?

Any else on the athlone high site is it working?

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Speed from the Cairn Hill mast Longford has been terrible lately. After numerous calls to tech support about the poor speeds in the evening and then blaming everything but themselves they tell me that I will have to pay €100 to upgrade my equipment and that will solve the problem.

So technicians arrive today and guess what... no improvement. 3mb down 3mb up speeds at max this eve.

Superfast, Super reliable broadband eh? I’d say they have over subscribed the mast and now have an extra €100 for themselves too because this “upgrade” has done nothing at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

AH2016 wrote: »
    Speed from the Cairn Hill mast Longford has been terrible lately. After numerous calls to tech support about the poor speeds in the evening and then blaming everything but themselves they tell me that I will have to pay €100 to upgrade my equipment and that will solve the problem.

So technicians arrive today and guess what... no improvement. 3mb down 3mb up speeds at max this eve.

Superfast, Super reliable broadband eh? I’d say they have over subscribed the mast and now have an extra €100 for themselves too because this “upgrade” has done nothing at all.

Same from Bweeng mast here in Cork, it’s gone abysmal over past 3 weeks. Myself and my parents are both with imagine on same mast- different accounts, equipment and locations and both have gone absolutely unusable and both keep dropping Internet connections completely. TV’s, sky boxes etc say internet disconnected for 30 odd seconds and then it returns. This is happening at both houses.

€59.99 for this, the NBP cannot come fast enough!!!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

irishfeen wrote: »
    TV’s, sky boxes etc say internet disconnected for 30 odd seconds and then it returns. This is happening at both houses.

€59.99 for this, the NBP cannot come fast enough!!!

Even with Eir FTTH my Sky box loses signal regularly and I have to input the password each time to re-setup the connection. Not sure if it's the 10 year old Sky HD box that's at fault or the wifi from the crap Eir Modem. Of course if I took the time to get everything wired up there wouldn't be these issues. I know Imagine are far from reliable when it comes to internet but it could be the modem or sky box that's at fault here, not just Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Gonzo wrote: »
    Even with Eir FTTH my Sky box loses signal regularly and I have to input the password each time to re-setup the connection. Not sure if it's the 10 year old Sky HD box that's at fault or the wifi from the crap Eir Modem. Of course if I took the time to get everything wired up there wouldn't be these issues. I know Imagine are far from reliable when it comes to internet but it could be the modem or sky box that's at fault here, not just Imagine.

Unfortunately not, it’s a total drop off of connection on all devices... Even browsing internet or watching YouTube. I restart the modem a few times a day but my brother rang them a few days back and they simply said it was a very busy mast and that speeds will drop off at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭rayfitzharris

Hi my internet just went down from about 4pm anyone else on the Athy mast have any issues?
    wait time on imagine support is 39mins.. fack that.. :(

Still the same here of the athlone site, engineers came out again complete reinstall for the second time in a week original system was in since 2016.

65% data loss, terrible speeds didnt even fix the phone this time. Repeated calls to tech support, keep telling me it has to go to second line support who never report back anything.

Never once got a call back in over 6 weeks of having problem, raised issue with customer care many time, finally told them today I have blocked them getting next months payment. I'll reinstate the payment should they resolve it in the mean time.

I suggest everyone having similar issues do the same don't let them rob you of 60 euro for this crap service. To think I have paid them 2500 euro since i joined them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

I've a similar story to most of you lads here, I signed up here near Cloughjordan/Ballymackey Co. Tipp area in December 2017 to a new mast and I was getting about 80-90Mb during the day and 130-ish after 12. The 20GB cap during the day was grand as I could download the bigger stuff after midnight when it wasn't being monitored, I was happy out with my setup, especially since I have no other option for "proper" internet out here.

One year later around the time of the "upgrade", the unmonitored night time usage is gone along with the 20GB cap which means daytime usage is a free for all and now my speeds are down to 2-3Mb (if the speed test doesn't time out first) during the day and 150Mb after 2am.

It's 2020 ffs!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,074 ✭✭✭Lewis_Benson

Does anyone ow what the difference is between their residential package and their business package?

Their website doesnt give away much info?

Possibly going to be moving from a town with fibre, to the countryside in the next year or 2.

Does the business package smcomenwith different hardware? Can you use your own firewall in front of the router?

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭minstrel_boy

Is it possible to set up voicemail or answering machine with imagine broadband phone service?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 295 ✭✭ROSSKI

IMAGINE BROADBAND
    Has anyone in the Roscommon area (Mount Mary Mast) had problems with their broadband speeds? Mine was fine up to maybe October /November last year and it has got steadily worse since. Numerous phone call and emails and just been fobbed off with excuses like they are escalating it to the tech team and they will call me back( they don’t!).
    They have to do a
    Speedtest and they will call me back ( they don’t).
    Can I cancel the contract as it it’s not what I signed up for and despite numerous complaints nothing is being done, anyone with similar issues or similar experiences with their complaints department which I find at best incompetent and just have been trained in fobbing people off hoping it will just go away.
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Is it possible to set up voicemail or answering machine with imagine broadband phone service?

Yep, I have an answerphone set up, came with the cordless phone I bought from Argos.

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭35x

Hi ROSSKI

Similar experience but luckily, ftth arrived in Feb 2019 . Was getting 30Mb plus when Imagine installed in 2017 but gradually went downhill, often to 0.00Mb! When I told them I would be finishing with them, they offered 10 Euro discount!...I told them I wouldn't stay even if they paid me. Then, they connected me to Tech support and they said they had adjustments to make...I suddenly went up to 24Mb !, only to gradually come down again after a week or two to 1Mb - 2Mb. It's great to be shut of them ( although my eir fibre occasionally drops to 3Mb!......working on that.)

Yeah most certainly they can make adjustments from their end, absolute joke again here tonight 25 ping timeouts in a row then 5 valid. 0.5 to 3mb download. Was a pleasure to send them my final email tonight from my phone mobile network.

As for the return of their hard ware, I'll be taking that junk down myself and locking it in my shed. They will only get it after multiple visits for wasting my time.

35x wrote: »
    Hi ROSSKI

Similar experience but luckily, ftth arrived in Feb 2019 . Was getting 30Mb plus when Imagine installed in 2017 but gradually went downhill, often to 0.00Mb! When I told them I would be finishing with them, they offered 10 Euro discount!...I told them I wouldn't stay even if they paid me. Then, they connected me to Tech support and they said they had adjustments to make...I suddenly went up to 24Mb !, only to gradually come down again after a week or two to 1Mb - 2Mb. It's great to be shut of them ( although my eir fibre occasionally drops to 3Mb!......working on that.)

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

35x wrote: »
    Hi ROSSKI

My only options here are vodafone mobile broadand or lightnet.
    I dunno if any of ye have experience of either?

I think vodafone will give me a trial period, but lightnet want me to jump straight into a contract...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

vidapura wrote: »
    My only options here are vodafone mobile broadand or lightnet.
    I dunno if any of ye have experience of either?

I think vodafone will give me a trial period, but lightnet want me to jump straight into a contract...

I've been with Lightnet for over a year. Hit speeds of 20mb around peak times, 20 Upload too. Off peak speeds can go as high as 50-60mb download.

Had no issues outside of maybe a 1-1.5 month period when the service went to ****. The customer support is very good though and they identified an issue with their mast. Speeds back to usual standard now.

Obviously I'd prefer to have fibre but fixed wireless speeds are far above what I can get currently with a line through Sky/Vodafone. (~7mb download, 0.5 up) This is Galway, Headford area.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 257 ✭✭Sponsorgate

Hi,

Currently in the process of building a house.

I have applied for an Eircode but don’t have one yet.

As per the OpenEir coverage map , the core fibre network is running quiet near my house location. Does this help? I’m guessing it does?

Marked house location with red circle on attached picture for exact location & the green mark is where the cabinet is

Any info greatly appreciated

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 623 ✭✭✭waxmelts2000

Imagine are here in my estate today about 5/6 vans. I have signed up paid E50 for them to come and check the speed . I see a few of my neighbours have it but having only read the reviews here I feel it will like the imagine wimax of old which ws crap!!!
    I'm located here in Youghal currently with SKY and only getting 7/8 MB as no fibre in my estate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Remember most people here post when they are having problems with the service and to vent understandable frustrations.
    For most it is the best we can get at this point in time, warts and all.
    It is not perfect by any means, some people have massive problems as evidenced here.
    I have been with them since they started out with the LTE service a few years ago and am happy enough with them, up and downs included.
    Your speed will drop during peak hours but so far it has not impacted our Netflixing and gaming, and, compared to my previous ISP Imagine is miles better speedwise and even service wise, lol. At least they notify you if works are being carried out or if they are experiencing problems, something my previous ISP never ever did.
    I am waiting for NBI to come to our area, allegedly Cork is among the first - I am not holding my breath, though. Until then Imagine will have to do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I had imagine installed on Saturday. This at peak time. Off peak has been twice this. I'm very happy. The best I got with nova broadband was around 20Mbps off peak and 7Mbps peak. Eir DSL was 2Mbps off peak near dial up at peak. Mind you I have a very good line of sight to their tower.

[URL="[URL=https://www.speedtest.net/result/9072204846][IMG]https://www.speedtest.net/result/9072204846.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]9072204846.png

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭Stewball

Mind you I have a very good line of sight to their tower.

What distance are you from the tower?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭theguzman

Stewball wrote: »

It must be a new tower with very little customers hanging from it. These speeds do not reflect the real world experience of most Imagine customers as evidenced from these threads.

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Valyawl wrote: »
    Imagine are here in my estate today about 5/6 vans. I have signed up paid E50 for them to come and check the speed . I see a few of my neighbours have it but having only read the reviews here I feel it will like the imagine wimax of old which ws crap!!!
    I'm located here in Youghal currently with SKY and only getting 7/8 MB as no fibre in my estate
    If I get 7/8 MB at peak times I wouldn't go for Imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,127 ✭✭✭mr_edge_to_you

We live in somewhat rural part of Meath. Been here for 10 years and have not been able to get broadband. We had a Vodafone mobile "broadband" account for the last few years which was ok. On a good day you might get over 5mb but it prone to outages and interruptions.

We recently got the Imagine broadband and it's a massive change for us. Regularly getting over 100mb. I also have to say, the installation was extremely neat and tidy. The guys were helpful - I wasn't aware of the Tp-link power extenders. We now have an internet connection that we never thought would be possible.

We're approx 5km from the mast and because it's a 2 storey they were able to put the antenna up high.

We're delighted!

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

We live in somewhat rural part of Meath. Been here for 10 years and have not been able to get broadband. We had a Vodafone mobile "broadband" account for the last few years which was ok. On a good day you might get over 5mb but it prone to outages and interruptions.

We recently got the Imagine broadband and it's a massive change for us. Regularly getting over 100mb. I also have to say, the installation was extremely neat and tidy. The guys were helpful - I wasn't aware of the Tp-link power extenders. We now have an internet connection that we never thought would be possible.

We're approx 5km from the mast and because it's a 2 storey they were able to put the antenna up high.

We're delighted!

Once that mast fills up you should expect plenty of evenings like this:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Stewball wrote: »

7 miles. And yes, it is a new tower.

This is my off peak speed,
    [URL="[URL=https://www.speedtest.net/result/9073427675][IMG]https://www.speedtest.net/result/9073427675.png[/IMG][/URL]"][/url]9073427675.png

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

theguzman wrote: »
    It must be a new tower with very little customers hanging from it. These speeds do not reflect the real world experience of most Imagine customers as evidenced from these threads.

To be fair - Threads like these are not truly representative.

No one seeks out an internet forum to say "Everything is exactly as expected and what I paid for"

That's not to say that there are not problems with the Imagine Service in more than a few areas or that their advertising is utterly misleading - Both those things are absolutely true.

But I have absolutely no doubt that there is a very significant cohort of Imagine customers that are perfectly happy with the Service, maybe even a majority.. It's very hard to tell.

Advertisement