Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

And connection gone again tonight (after about 10 days without problems) with only the 2 wifi and the power symbol illuminated on the router.
    It's infuriating as they want me to log into the router which i cannot do because both user / pasword combinations they have given me return a incorrect password message which they don't seem to understand. Also I can only log into the router when its down like this with a direct cable connection.
    By now I suspect it has to do with the mast, load balancing gone terribly wrong maybe?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

morgana wrote: »
    And connection gone again tonight (after about 10 days without problems) with only the 2 wifi and the power symbol illuminated on the router.
    It's infuriating as they want me to log into the router which i cannot do because both user / pasword combinations they have given me return a incorrect password message which they don't seem to understand. Also I can only log into the router when its down like this with a direct cable connection.
    By now I suspect it has to do with the mast, load balancing gone terribly wrong maybe?

Ironically it seems we have swapped places, tonight I am getting speeds of about 25mb, haven’t have speeds like that in months :)

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Yeah second night in a row for me now with less than 1mb speeds.

http://imagine.speedtestcustom.com/result/742c4aa0-6aeb-11ea-a1e5-290f0817c488

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Did anyone else get this text from them today?:
    Broadband Heads Up - The worlds largest streaming providers, Netflix, Amazon, Facebook, Youtube etc have decided to downgrade their streaming services in order to help combat the massive increases in broadband usage across the world. Their streaming services have been lowered to the Standard definition format (SD) helping to reduce broadband data usage globally so that critical services can be prioritised over leisure usage. #Besafe #Together

I shrugged it off earlier but a few mins ago youtube just stopped working altogether. I'm assuming Imagine are throwing extra throttling on top of whatever streaming services plan to do. My speeds are still fine luckily - not much uptake in the area. At least not as badly off as some of yis. Not going to be worth much if they throttle specific services to a complete standstill though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

That text is rubbish designed to placate the ill informed

Netflix has turned off 4k
    They have not turned off HD and neither has any other

Cant stream anything much here in the evening atm

No point ringing
    Better to leave

• Advertisement

Mortelaro wrote: »
    That text is rubbish designed to placate the ill informed

Netflix has turned off 4k
    They have not turned off HD and neither has any other

Cant stream anything much here in the evening atm

No point ringing
    Better to leave

Aye I figured as much myself, if this was as bad as the text made it out to be I'd have heard it from the services themselves - not a damn sms message from my ISP. God knows I basically live on the internet as it is, quarantine or not lol so I would've heard about it from a notification or something. I ended up using my VPN last night and most of my streaming problems went way.... interesting. Still have my unlocked 4G modem with outdoor antennas ready to go and a few sims knocking about that I can fall back on if Imagine kick the bucket entirely over the next few weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Apart from the occasional outage, I have no problems streaming or otherwise.
    That text only confuses people, probably to shift blame if their service is overloaded.

• Registered Users Posts: 45 glasspicklejar

ED E wrote: »
    You need to call Imagine and ask them to do it.

I emailed support and asked for the credentials for the router. I acknowledged that I knew messing things up would mess things up.

They sent me my credentials a few days later.

TJ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

I've had no problems with them although my upload speed seems very slow compared to my download - apart from that it's been fine.
    I'd say they sent the text so people wouldn't blame them if they notice the quality degradation in the the streams

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I've had no problems with them although my upload speed seems very slow compared to my download - apart from that it's been fine.
    I'd say they sent the text so people wouldn't blame them if they notice the quality degradation in the the streams

They have definitely dialled back the upload speed - The D/U ratio is much larger in the last week or so..

I haven't seen upload speed above about 1.5Mb regardless of the download speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    They have definitely dialled back the upload speed - The D/U ratio is much larger in the last week or so..

I haven't seen upload speed above about 1.5Mb regardless of the download speeds.
    I've always had bad uploads speeds - Max I ever saw was about 2.8 or 3 - I'm always at an average of 1.5 since I started with them - but I've regularly had d/l of 50-70 (long before coronavirus)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I have been with them for over 3 years now I think and generally happy. But lately it has gone to sh*ts in the evenings particularly.
    DL of sometimes less than 1 MB , pings in triple digits. But even when I have double digit DL speeds, Fortnite lags to an unplayable level.
    Sure I had some lag in the past as well at peak hours, but it has got so much worse lately. Same with Netflix (obviously not at same time as I try to play Fortnite)- a lot of buffering.

I expected there to be a lot of noise in this thread, but it is a lot quieter with complaints here than usual.
    I am on Jamestown mast- anyone else having similar issues ?

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

On the Athy mast and it's unusable after 6pm the last 2 weeks. I am getting speeds of 1mb at most.
    A ****ing joke. I emailed them a week ago about it and still havent gotten a response. 60 quid a month for this ****e.

Stuck in isolation and can't even play a ****ing game because of the latency.

http://imagine.speedtestcustom.com/result/2be8d3d0-7068-11ea-80c6-5731b36afc2f

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Strange today, I have never had this speed at peak times

9196808647.png

Early in the morning

9198064539.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

Just signed up to Imagine yesterday so still waiting on the install. Am I right in thinking all might be ok for the 14 day trial but we're likely to loss speed after that when we're locked into contract? We're in north mayo, any idea of the masts here? Are they overloaded?

Any insight would be great. Thanks.

lashes34 wrote: »
    Just signed up to Imagine yesterday so still waiting on the install. Am I right in thinking all might be ok for the 14 day trial but we're likely to loss speed after that when we're locked into contract? We're in north mayo, any idea of the masts here? Are they overloaded?

Any insight would be great. Thanks.

It is hit and miss
    What do you have now?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 709 ✭✭✭lashes34

We only moved in. Got 3 mobile broadband 2 weeks ago but sending it back before the trial is over. My gomo mobile hotspot was working well but the hotspot wont stay on. Gomo better than 3.

lashes34 wrote: »
    We only moved in. Got 3 mobile broadband 2 weeks ago but sending it back before the trial is over. My gomo mobile hotspot was working well but the hotspot wont stay on. Gomo better than 3.

Imagine is not bad I have it for 15 months now, very rarely the streaming goes down less than 1080P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

lashes34 wrote:

You could get yourself an unlocked router such as the Huawei B593s-22, or similar, and pop the GoMo SIM into it. These are available on Amazon and other online providers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Lashes.

If you are North Mayo then likely you are on the Ballina mast? Depending on the sector you are on there is contention at peak but it is far better than it was a year ago when evening speeds were single figures.

Fibre coming to the area has certainly helped keep these day speeds up, I am averaging 26 down and 5 - 8 up during the current crisis. I have had 116 down
    and 15 up off peak recently.

Still even peak is better than the 0.5 offered by Eir.

TT

Lol just got a "High Data Usage Alert - Slow Down" email from imagine. Yis surprised? everyone is at home at all times - welcome to the job of an actual ISP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Lol just got a "High Data Usage Alert - Slow Down" email from imagine. Yis surprised? everyone is at home at all times - welcome to the job of an actual ISP.

Imagine still operate a 1TB fair use policy, which many .. if not nearly all .. will be exceeding now. The 20GB/day caps were not removed. They were just slightly increased and shifted.

So .. you signed up for it .. that's what you get.

/M

Marlow wrote: »
    Imagine still operate a 1TB fair use policy, which many .. if not nearly all .. will be exceeding now. The 20GB/day caps were not removed. They were just slightly increased and shifted.

So .. you signed up for it .. that's what you get.

/M

I signed up for it because the alternatives are basically useless, not for the value of the service or the details of the contract. All mobile operators are contended out their ring here and the eir rollout ended just under 1km away.

In any case, theres 300GB of data left and 3 days left in the month, I think I'll be grand lol

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 575 ✭✭✭richardw001

I signed up for it because the alternatives are basically useless, not for the value of the service or the details of the contract. All mobile operators are contended out their ring here and the eir rollout ended just under 1km away.

In any case, theres 300GB of data left and 3 days left in the month, I think I'll be grand lol

Got one of those emails as well - and are about 300GB under the 1TB cap - have to say a little bit unimpressed - as I need this for work - and with the kids at home - they need it for remote learning and talking to their grandparents and friends - my belief is that I was sold a service with a 1TB cap (its on their webpage)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Got one of those emails as well - and are about 300GB under the 1TB cap - have to say a little bit unimpressed - as I need this for work - and with the kids at home - they need it for remote learning and talking to their grandparents and friends - my belief is that I was sold a service with a 1TB cap (its on their webpage)

If that is the case, then lash back. And rightly so. Reply with those figures and tell them to f*** off. The more that do it, the more they'll have to find other ways of fixing it.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 15 Underhauled

I'm in the same boat.
    I got a high usage warning on 27th March. On the 28th March a mail saying i had exceeded the 1TB limit. I can't log in to the imagine portal as when ever i request the confirmation code via SMS in the setup it never arrives. I have asked for this to be fixed since day one. Its easy to see how we could have gone over, four boys and myself, 2xPS3, 2xPS4, Nintendo switch, 4x Android tablets, 4x phones and two laptops as well as sky box and Netflix, Amazon prime and now disney+ on the go all day every day.

Still sending a warning without any figures in it is useless.

And given the state of the world right now with banks and lenders trying to ease off on people who are short of work or laid off etc or sick you could be forgiven for expecting soem assistance from the other service providers.

Do Eir have a similar monthly fair usage policy?

I just checked my usage:

Combined usage this month
    256.48GB

I should sell the unused data

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I just checked my usage:

256.48GB

I think you need to isolate yourself with Netflix .

• Advertisement

Still sending a warning without any figures in it is useless.

And given the state of the world right now with banks and lenders trying to ease off on people who are short of work or laid off etc or sick you could be forgiven for expecting soem assistance from the other service providers.

Do Eir have a similar monthly fair usage policy?

Aye youd think it would be fairly easy to hook up your current usage to that automated email.
    Eir had a fair usage policy of 1TB back when I was away for college but whenever they brought the FTTH out the housemate and I put 1.5TB thru it in the first month and never got any email from them lol. They're probably a bit more strict on it by now, that was back in 2013.
    Ultimanemo wrote: »
    I just checked my usage:

256.48GB

Ill take 500GB pls, you selling any TP or hand sanitizer as well?

Advertisement