Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,555 ✭✭✭✭Marlow

Aye youd think it would be fairly easy to hook up your current usage to that automated email.

Yes it it would.
    Eir had a fair usage policy of 1TB back when I was away for college but whenever they brought the FTTH out the housemate and I put 1.5TB thru it in the first month and never got any email from them lol. They're probably a bit more strict on it by now, that was back in 2013.

In it's last iteration, Eir was not warning you. They were charging you (and handsomely) for going over the 1TB cap. These days, they have no limit anymore, unless you signed up before the limit was removed.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I think you need to isolate yourself with Netflix .
    I wish I could
    I have to work harder than normal
    No rest for the wicked

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

And given the state of the world right now with banks and lenders trying to ease off on people who are short of work or laid off etc or sick you could be forgiven for expecting soem assistance from the other service providers.

Given the hammering their networks are likely taking they may need to be stricter with their fair usage limits for the sake of other users.

Would hope should it be absolutely necessary they would enforce it by throttling though rather than profiting off it with additional charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

dam099 wrote: »
    Given the hammering their networks are likely taking they may need to be stricter with their fair usage limits for the sake of other users.

Would hope should it be absolutely necessary they would enforce it by throttling though rather than profiting off it with additional charges.

Not Imagine but GoMo throttled me to 0.21mbps which lets be honest is overkill in times like this because I have to use their network over Imagine's 50% of the time because Imagine's is just saturated now at this point.

Not Imagine but GoMo throttled me to 0.21mbps which lets be honest is overkill in times like this because I have to use their network over Imagine's 50% of the time because Imagine's is just saturated now at this point.

GoMo have a clearly defined 80GB/month fair use policy. You might want to sign up for another sub/provider with more data on it. Easy done.

/M

• Advertisement

Marlow wrote: »
    GoMo have a clearly defined 80GB/month fair use policy. You might want to sign up for another sub/provider with more data on it. Easy done.

/M

Fair usage policy doesn't mean you have to cripple people's speeds in excess of it particularly during a pandemic when people are depending on their infrastructure. I wouldn't try and defend business as usual practices when demand on networks is higher and customers have to be given some slack given they're using the internet to practice social distancing etc. Partically all the networks have fair usage policies, how and when you enforce them is the bigger issue. Zero problem being throttled but I do have a problem with them making the service unusable when all my other forms of internet access (Imagine) are unusable to begin with because of contention.

Zero problem being throttled but I do have a problem with them making the service unusable when all my other forms of internet access (Imagine) are unusable to begin with because of contention.

It's in their terms, that they'll do it. Look at the price point. None of these business are charities. They have to pay somebody for the bandwidth you use, too.

It's really up to you to buy a product, that suits your needs. And there's no problem getting something with a larger cap on the Eir network, if that's what works best for you. So there's no excuse for giving out. I have 3 different SIMs as backup to my regular internet. Just because I can't afford to loose my connection.

/M

It's in their terms, that they'll do it. Look at the price point. None of these business are charities. They have to pay somebody for the bandwidth you use, too.

It's really up to you to buy a product, that suits your needs. And there's no problem getting something with a larger cap on the Eir network, if that's what works best for you. So there's no excuse for giving out. I have 3 different SIMs as backup to my regular internet. Just because I can't afford to loose my connection.

/M

It's in their terms but it's also not specified in GoMo's terms that means 0.21mbps, even American companies have the honesty to tell you the throttled speeds and in Imagine's case it's a much more usable 1mbps which is clearly conveyed to people. Also saying "there's no excuse" when people are also price limited and we're in a pandemic is a bit ****ing privileged don't you think? Good for you that you can afford 3 different network connections, some people can't. And those people are running into problems now because of the greed of data companies, again even American networks are allocating even an extra 10GB to customers just to get them over the line without having unusable speeds on the services they can afford. Start talking about the realities the majority of people face not the realities people who can just buy another package as a "backup" have to deal with like yourself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

On the Athy mast and it's unusable after 6pm the last 2 weeks. I am getting speeds of 1mb at most.
    A ****ing joke. I emailed them a week ago about it and still havent gotten a response. 60 quid a month for this ****e.

Stuck in isolation and can't even play a ****ing game because of the latency.

http://imagine.speedtestcustom.com/result/2be8d3d0-7068-11ea-80c6-5731b36afc2f

As reported , am in the same boat. But I seem to have found a solution.
    at least for Fortnite download speeds are not crucial, ping speed is.

I have my gomo mobile as a hotspot and connect through that.. hardly any lag - just hope I didn't jinx it now

Pings to fortnite server through Imagine 300+ms, Gomo around the 50-70..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

As reported , am in the same boat. But I seem to have found a solution.
    at least for Fortnite download speeds are not crucial, ping speed is.

I have my gomo mobile as a hotspot and connect through that.. hardly any lag - just hope I didn't jinx it now

Pings to fortnite server through Imagine 300+ms, Gomo around the 50-70..

I'd bang that gomo sim in a router and use it as your main access point for internet.
    Better still get a 3 sim and use that for all you can eat data.
    I use it for my xbox and it's fine the ping has gone high with so many at home now but should be back to normal when ever this virus ends

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Ping has gone up here in south Wicklow but speed is holding reasonably

Imagine does not like Disney+ though
    Any particular reason for that
    Despite 40mb download speed it buffers a lot
    Amazon,sky or netflix dont

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Ping has gone up here in south Wicklow but speed is holding reasonably

Imagine does not like Disney+ though
    Any particular reason for that
    Despite 40mb download speed it buffers a lot
    Amazon,sky or netflix dont

I've definitely noticed that Disney is the worst of the streaming apps..

Does it not try to lower the resolution?

Does Disney automatically change resolution the way Netflix/Prime do?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,351 ✭✭✭naughto

Theres no way of knowing what its streaming at either like you can through sky q app when you press the (i)on the remote

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've definitely noticed that Disney is the worst of the streaming apps..

Does it not try to lower the resolution?

It comes up on my LG as HDR and no it doesnt seem to change down
    But that's not the issue as netflix or amazon is always hdr but no buffering
    Something else must be happening

Disney got completely trashed by the US internet providers when they launched there, because they have no regard for bandwidth saving and use ineffecient codecs.

I can't see, that they would have that optimised by now. And the european internet providers won't be happy with them either.

/M

• Registered Users Posts: 552 ✭✭✭Gadge

Imagine still operate a 1TB fair use policy, which many .. if not nearly all .. will be exceeding now. The 20GB/day caps were not removed. They were just slightly increased and shifted.

So .. you signed up for it .. that's what you get.

/M
    The old system suited me way better back then, I used to do all my downloading between midnight and 7am when usage was not being monitored, and took it handy during the day. I'd say a lot of people did the same, my peak time speeds never dropped below 40mb. Then they removed the daily limit but also the unmonitored time allowance and now peak times are a disaster.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

naughto wrote: »
    I'd bang that gomo sim in a router and use it as your main access point for internet.
    Better still get a 3 sim and use that for all you can eat data.
    I use it for my xbox and it's fine the ping has gone high with so many at home now but should be back to normal when ever this virus ends

Nahh.. download speeds are desperate, and three has very bad coverage around here.. Imagine is good enough for streaming most times, just not gaming.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Anyone tried ruralwifi? I've been with imagine about 3/4 years and haven't really had much problems. The last 2 and a half months however are a different story. 170+mb during the day and less than 1mb in the evening (7.30pm onward).

Their customer service is about as reliable as the internet is at the min. Get promised a call back and never receive one. Unfortunately DSL broadband is not an option as i only get 4mb through the line and most mobile providers have little to no signal here.

Anyone know any other good providers or tired ruralwifi?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

AH2016 wrote: »
    Anyone tried ruralwifi? I've been with imagine about 3/4 years and haven't really had much problems. The last 2 and a half months however are a different story. 170+mb during the day and less than 1mb in the evening (7.30pm onward).

Their customer service is about as reliable as the internet is at the min. Get promised a call back and never receive one. Unfortunately DSL broadband is not an option as i only get 4mb through the line and most mobile providers have little to no signal here.

Anyone know any other good providers or tired ruralwifi?
    I had it, same like Three

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

Brutal speeds tonight, worst in a long time. 1Mb Up / 1Mb down!
    Usually get about 6Mb during peak hours which is crap but just about useable for our house requirements for the moment.

Anyone else having issues this evening on Cappagh, North Kildare mast?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Yep, same here but on the Old Kilcullen mast in Kildare. Tonight is the worst it's been in a long time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭KildareP

Imagine are so poor because they oversold their network.

GoMo have comparatively much better speeds because they are much more strict on ensuring their network is not saturated.

You cannot have all three factors of high speed, high allowances and low price - you may pick only 2 at any one time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

KildareP wrote: »
    You cannot have all three factors of high speed, high allowances and low price - you may pick only 2 at any one time.

Unless you have FTTH. :(

Some day my prince (NBP) will come...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭KildareP

Dero wrote: »
    Unless you have FTTH. :(

Some day my prince (NBP) will come...

Someone who goes for the pricepoint of GoMo or 3 is not going to consider the price of FTTH as being value for money though.

And the companies who offer truly unlimited allowance will manage their networks carefully - wait too long to sign up to OpenEir or SIRO and there'll be no more ports left and you'll go on indefinite hold - so there's not unlimited internet for unlimited people.

Whereas if you want a corporate plan you can get as much bandwidth as you need with truly unlimited allowance but it'll cost you more in a month than many residential packages cost over an entire year!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

My speeds have been much improved (still not great) at peak times over the past few days.
    H0XBWXM.png

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

My problem continues to be upload speeds.

Download is pretty variable , which I can understand to an extent given the extra volume of traffic , but Upload is definitely broken in some way.

Whether I'm getting 80/90Mbps or 5Mbps Download , my upload never waivers from between 0.4Mbps and 0.6Mbps

It's been like that for about 3 weeks solid now.

Multiple calls/chats with Tech Support all initially trying to fob it off as "higher traffic" but yesterday (via Chat) got one to actually accept that something was wrong with the upload, but they told me that they were "trying to connect to my router" and then silence and the chat eventually timed out.

They also told me that they'd only accept speedtest results from their own test portal

http://perf.imagine.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,113 ✭✭✭user1842

My parents Imagine connection is now gone for the past three days. Imagine are not engaging with my father after numerous "plug out all devices on your router" calls. They are an elderly couple, who are alone, that now have no internet at all. They are now relying on very spotty mobile phone 1-2 bar 3G signal to communicate with the family via whats app (forget about voice or video calls).

Ballina mast. Sad state of affairs especially when they are alone.

Open Eir might be able to provide a 2Mb adsl connection. They will hopefully call out next week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭XDA

I have the same issue here, solid 0.5mb upload all the time which means video chat for work is just not viable. Whenever any significant upload traffic is generated everything grinds to a halt.

Connected to the Ardagh mast in Longford. Just got off chat with tech support who promised to escalate.

This only became an issue for me recently too, since working from home means i need faster upload.

XDA
    My problem continues to be upload speeds.

Download is pretty variable , which I can understand to an extent given the extra volume of traffic , but Upload is definitely broken in some way.

Whether I'm getting 80/90Mbps or 5Mbps Download , my upload never waivers from between 0.4Mbps and 0.6Mbps

It's been like that for about 3 weeks solid now.

Multiple calls/chats with Tech Support all initially trying to fob it off as "higher traffic" but yesterday (via Chat) got one to actually accept that something was wrong with the upload, but they told me that they were "trying to connect to my router" and then silence and the chat eventually timed out.

They also told me that they'd only accept speedtest results from their own test portal

http://perf.imagine.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

Lads, it’s a problem with your house, the birds, the microwave, ozone layer, etc..nothing to do with their over subscribed masts!

Just got this text from the clowns!
    “Imagine Update - Speed up your home. Check out this handy guide that will help you understand, manage and improve your home's Wi-Fi network, it's quality, speed, and connectivity - https://bit.ly/2wMnnaY #staysafe #Ireland”

• Advertisement

KildareP wrote: »
    Imagine are so poor because they oversold their network.

GoMo have comparatively much better speeds because they are much more strict on ensuring their network is not saturated.

We aren't talking about "normal times" here though, people *will* be going over allowances right now and throttling them to unusable speeds is counterproductive. Again if the far more greedy US providers are slightly increasing allowances even by 10GB we should be telling our ISPs to do the same. 0 problem being throttled to the speeds I was throttled to during a normal month because I wouldn't use that much in the first place, I do have a problem if you had read my post in the first place rather than picking out a piece of it, with ISPs still strictly enforcing limits when they've been 1) given more radio spectrum from Comreg for ****ing free and 2) a massive increase in people having to work from home and often having to use mobile data because their home networks aren't sufficient during peak times to even video call.

If you're privileged enough to buy more network options you're not grounded in the real world where people are stuck with either their home connection or their data. This is a reality most people face not just in Ireland but also in the US which is why major carriers there slightly upped allowances just to account for the extra usage without making it impossible for people to work during peak times because they were being throttled.

As for GoMo speeds being better, they're more consistent but I would say they're slower overall, the consistency in ping and slightly better upload is the only reason I'll switch to it, it's often not much better in terms of download for me but obviously this is down to geographical location etc. When Imagine becomes unusable most days of the week during peak times it's usually because I can't keep connection to a call without seeing pings of 1000ms to EU servers.

Advertisement