Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,603 ✭✭✭alec76

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Reasonable speeds here this evening

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭roman0red

IMO you'd be mad to switch from a consistent 24Mbit for transient "maybe possibly" 130Mbit. I'd love a 24Mbit landline. Imagine have been holding up for me in the speed department but you dont have to read too many pages of this thread to see that its a very mixed bag. I'm constantly waiting on this to fall apart, as my last 2 WISPs did after they overloaded their networks with contention. If you need more upload for work just use a pay as you go 3 sim as they've temporarily removed the fair usage cap on their all-you-can-eat data.

Don't forget either that the latency on landline is usually rock solid with no jitter (provided you're wired to the router). 4G for me has at least 14ms of jitter and significantly higher averages.

2.4mb unfortunately :-(.....24mb I wish .....:-(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Reasonable speeds here this evening

The speed is moot though when the latency prevents even DNS lookups...

508828.png

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

So I have done a little bit of a test here at home to see what results we would get from it.

Internet speeds have remained exceptional during the day however in the evening the speeds have been sub 1mb every evening. After speaking to the tech support team more times that i can count and them not actually coming back with any information I decided as a test to completely restrict the internet that is being used in the house during the day to essentially nothing and see what impact that would have.

Result: Internet is perfect in the evening.

So to me it seems that Imagine are in fact throttling people that have moderate to heavy usage during the day in the evening. Which in my opinion is more than likely a vast majority of their customer base with people working from home.

i find this funny as even with our increased usage working from home we wouldn't come anywhere near the 1000GB cap monthly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

AH2016 wrote: »
    So I have done a little bit of a test here at home to see what results we would get from it.

Internet speeds have remained exceptional during the day however in the evening the speeds have been sub 1mb every evening. After speaking to the tech support team more times that i can count and them not actually coming back with any information I decided as a test to completely restrict the internet that is being used in the house during the day to essentially nothing and see what impact that would have.

Result: Internet is perfect in the evening.

So to me it seems that Imagine are in fact throttling people that have moderate to heavy usage during the day in the evening. Which in my opinion is more than likely a vast majority of their customer base with people working from home.

i find this funny as even with our increased usage working from home we wouldn't come anywhere near the 1000GB cap monthly.
    That's very interesting, especially if others can also verify it - however, working from home should not use much data unless for some reason you have huge downloads and/or video streaming while working from home. Email and VPN and VNC connections use very little generally.
    Even video conferencing is very low res compared to high def movie streams.

I've been working from home almost a month now and I have no issues at all - maybe it depends on the number of subscribers on a mast ??
    That combined with the daytime usage in a house by kids watching netflix, disney etc could trigger it.

Also - when you checked the speeds in the evening was everything else still off ?
    It could be something on the home network causing the issue.

I had a similar issues and was blaming imagine and I decided to investigate it myself and discovered it was my CrashPlan backup trying to backup my whole work laptop that was causing the issue.

I've found that if your upload speed is maxed out uploading stuff it completely kills the download also - could it be that ?
    Might be worth checking (Is anybody live streaming on Twitch maybe in the evening ?)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Changes to FUP. 1am to 7am no longer included.
    imagine
    Visit Us Support Contacts
    Imagine Broadband

Important Service Information and changes to our Fair Usage Policy
    Hi,

Below you will find important information on how to improve your home broadband experience and changes to imagines' Fair Usage Policy to help.

Regardless of your broadband provider, with people self-isolating and working from home, increasing internet demand and usage and an increase in devices connected in homes there are a number of issues which can slow your service and impact your user experience.

Reflecting the quality of the service we provide, our normal average customer data usage at 270Gb per month is the second highest in the market and even in these exceptional times where internet usage across the world has increased as much as 50%, with our Fair Usage Policy of 1TB per month a multiple of normal usage, this is not an issue.

We understand and expect that occasionally users require to upload and download large data files, including large image files and games and back up data. However doing this during busy times, when the internet is at its busiest, the services you are using are in high demand and everyone at home is on line, this takes longer, reduces available speed and degrades the service and user experience for you and everyone else in your home sharing the same Wi-Fi connection and uses your data allowance.

You can avoid this by doing this activity in non-busy times. Many of these activities can be easily timed to automatically work in off peak hours during the night. If you choose to do this, you will greatly improve your service experience during busy times.

So, to help everyone, we are changing our Fair Usage Policy. Until further notice, ALL data usage between 1am and 7am will NOT be counted as part of your monthly data usage.

Important information:

In response to the significant increase in internet data usage, the European Commission , has instructed all major data operators including broadband providers, entertainment and online streaming providers along with mainstream mobile social media messaging platforms to support the reduction and control of data usage across Europe - https://on.ft.com/39A3Nf3 - Financial Times

Netflix, YouTube, Disney+, Facebook, Apple and many other streaming services have already downgraded their service to help reduce internet usage https://tcrn.ch/2ynGA35 -Techcrunch

What does that mean for you?
    It means that some of the services you use will be slower.

Your home Wi-Fi could be killing your speed!

With everyone at home online working, streaming, gaming with multiple devices etc, the amount of data you are using has increased.

The majority of people connect to their home broadband through Wi-Fi. The quality of your service will be affected by the number of devices connected and sharing your Wi-Fi and also the quality of the Wi-Fi signal in your home.

Many things create interference and affect the quality of your Wi-Fi which will reduce the speed of your connection and the quality of your service.

What can I do?
    Click here to see how you can improve your home Wi-Fi quality and service.
    Heavy Data Usage You're Probably Not Aware Of
    As explained above, using heavy data usage applications during busy times when everyone is online and sharing the same Wi-Fi will affect your service and eat into your data usage. With the change to our FUP you can now avoid this by running these applications between 1am and 7am.

However, there are a number of things you may be unaware of that could be consuming large amounts of data which would affect your service and unintentionally could significantly increase your usage.
    Please check

We have many customers who have found apps, software background updates, large file backups and auto playing of movies and shows to be eating into their data allowance.

As a guide, here are some things that can seriously eat in to your data without you even knowing it is happening.
    · Auto Play - just keeps streaming when you're no longer watching. Seriously eats into your data allowance so switch off Auto Play options.

· Backups - Google Drive, Dropbox, MS One Drive & Amazon etc can mean you're backing up massive data amounts - Backup new items/changes only.

· Automatic Software Updates - usually set to automatic so they just keep updating. Set these to manual so you control when this happens.

· Social Media Videos - Social Media platforms like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter etc default in-stream videos to 'auto play' - Set them to 'play on click'.

· Switch to SD/HD Content - by default, most streaming services play in 4K when they can - Switch off the 4K default - it's 4x the data if you leave it on.

· CCTV - streaming continuously at high definition will seriously increase and eat up your data. Set to 'standard definition' or even better to 'motion detection'.

· Update your Anti-Virus Software - We strongly advise updating your anti-virus and computer security programs regularly keeps you protected online and stops potential security breaches that can cause high amounts of background data.

Fair Usage Policy (FUP), what you need to know.

Like all operators the FUP is to prevent abnormal and excessive use impacting other customers including you. As users differ our fair usage policy limit of 1TB is a multiple of the average normal usage per month.

You enjoy the benefit and experience of the broadband service we provide because of our FUP and the method in which we apply it. We will continue to enforce the policy to deliver on our obligation and commitment to you and all of our customers. This is particularly important in the current circumstances.

Unfortunately, heavy users who breach our FUP in a month will have their services restricted to a minimum speed until the end of the month. So please follow the advice above!

Continuous heavy users will face further usage and speed restrictions.

Please note:

If you have any questions about this message or have any queries on how to reduce data usage, please don’t hesitate to get in contact with our support team at support@imagine.ie.

You can also view your current month's data usage on your Imagine Portal at: https://lteportal.imagine.ie/portal/login/login

We are very proud of the service and benefits we are bringing to homes and businesses across rural Ireland and especially at this time when people need it most.

Please bear in mind that, like other essential service companies, our call centre staff are working remotely, and our engineers across the country are working hard in exceptional circumstances. Please consider and follow the advice given before contacting us so we can quickly deal with your query.

Be Safe
    Network Monitoring Team

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

d31b0y wrote: »

Got the same. They should probably have reduced the FUP also to 600GB, especially for masts having issues in evenings.
    Might further encourage some to actually use the free allowance after midnight.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

rodge123 wrote: »
    Got the same. They should probably have reduced the FUP also to 600GB, especially for masts having issues in evenings.
    Might further encourage some to actually use the free allowance after midnight.

Lots of ISP are removing caps temporarily during the coronavirus lockdown time but as Imagine was heavily overcontended before their network is maxed out nearly 100% of the time currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

We seem to hit around the 550GB mark every month, the highest we ever used was 750GB (after 1TB limit introduced). There's several using it here, and no HD Netflix or anything like torrenting as far as I know.

Is it true that 270GB is the average usage? Seems low.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

Fichtl wrote: »
    We seem to hit around the 550GB mark every month, the highest we ever used was 750GB (after 1TB limit introduced). There's several using it here, and no HD Netflix or anything like torrenting as far as I know.

Is it true that 270GB is the average usage? Seems low.

Mine

February 2020
    260.50GB

March 2020
    280.89GB

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Mine

February 2020
    260.50GB

March 2020
    280.89GB

Looks good. Don't think ours can get that low, it's shared among 6. Usually hit over 500 GB every month

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

This bit is a fairly important change for heavy users...

"heavy users who breach our FUP in a month will have their services restricted to a minimum speed until the end of the month."

I expect that will catch out some...

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

TopTec wrote: »
    This bit is a fairly important change for heavy users...

"heavy users who breach our FUP in a month will have their services restricted to a minimum speed until the end of the month."

I expect that will catch out some...

TT

I wonder does this mean they are actually paying attention to usage now... I've only ever been throttled once during my contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Hi Guys,
    We moved to new house in a rural area recently and currently weighing up options for broadband. We have no fibre and as we are on a small private lane we won't have fibre for years I'd say. I was planning on getting mobile broadband from eir with the 750gb limit but 4g is patchy in the house. I have read pretty dismal reviews of imagine so not sure what to make of it? What would you guys recommend?
    Thanks for the help

dar_cool wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    We moved to new house in a rural area recently and currently weighing up options for broadband. We have no fibre and as we are on a small private lane we won't have fibre for years I'd say. I was planning on getting mobile broadband from eir with the 750gb limit but 4g is patchy in the house. I have read pretty dismal reviews of imagine so not sure what to make of it? What would you guys recommend?
    Thanks for the help

Where are you?(roughly)
    Need to know to answer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,290 ✭✭✭dar_cool

Mortelaro wrote: »
    Where are you?(roughly)
    Need to know to answer

Westmeath just outside town of Delvin

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭verizon

What are people using to monitor their usage?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

verizon wrote: »

https://lteportal.imagine.ie/portal/login/login

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

d31b0y wrote: »
    Reflecting the quality of the service we provide, our normal average customer data usage at 270Gb per month is the second highest in the market and even in these exceptional times where internet usage across the world has increased as much as 50%, with our Fair Usage Policy of 1TB per month a multiple of normal usage, this is not an issue.

I find it hard to believe they have second highest average use in the market. Presumably Virgin would be highest but surely one of the VDSL/FTTH resellers would be next. Is there any source for this claim I wonder?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,932 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

dam099 wrote: »
    I find it hard to believe they have second highest average use in the market. Presumably Virgin would be highest but surely one of the VDSL/FTTH resellers would be next. Is there any source for this claim I wonder?

I very highly doubt Imagine have the second highest average use in the market, specially when many of their customers are in single digit download speeds! If I was to take a guess Virgin Media, Eir and possibly Airwire would have the highest usage as all 3 are unlimited usage with no data caps and generally very fast speeds.

2nd highest in the wireless market I'd say...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,544 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Good old Imagine telling the porkies again, somethings never change

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

dar_cool wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    Thanks for the help
    I have Imagine and Three usually Imagine is better.
    I tried eir, same as Three and they couldn't tell me what will happen if I use more than 750gb
    If you go for 4G try one of the following antennae

https://www.wimo.com/en/60072

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-3G-LTE-External-Antenna-Aerial-for-4GEE-EE-Home-Mobile-Broadband-Router/232554395480?epid=559542088&hash=item3625527758:g:NkkAAOSwP8hTxorE

They are compatible with Huawei B525 "Three" router but not with Vodafone router, I don't know what eir is using

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

verizon wrote: »
    Dero wrote: »

The Imagine Portal under-reports by about 10%-15%.

A few months back I got throttled due to going over the limit - The imagine tool was showing me at about 875GB for the month with about 2 days to go , but then I got throttled to 1Mbs and when I called them they said "you've used 1050GB"

I challenged them about their online portal and the response was - "Oh yeah , we know that's not 100% accurate , but our numbers on this side are what we go by so you're over the limit and that's that.

I knew I was getting close (Teenage son had got a new Xbox and was downloading all their games to the new system) and was watching usage closely. But the tool is essentially useless as it under-reports , so I now take ~800GB on the tool to be the likely limit.

So - You actually have no really accurate way to measure your usage which is not any kind of surprise.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

I tried eir, same as Three and they couldn't tell me what will happen if I use more than 750gb

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-3G-LTE-External-Antenna-Aerial-for-4GEE-EE-Home-Mobile-Broadband-Router/232554395480?epid=559542088&hash=item3625527758:g:NkkAAOSwP8hTxorE

They are compatible with Huawei B525 "Three" router but not with Vodafone router, I don't know what eir is using

I have this 4G antenna https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/4G-3G-LTE-External-Antenna-Aerial-for-4GEE-EE-Home-Mobile-Broadband-Router/232554395480?epid=559542088&hash=item3625527758:g:NkkAAOSwP8hTxorE connected to my B525 on Three and get upto 50Mbps

it is cheaper to buy in ireland off Irush wireless webstore https://www.irishwireless.net/lte-diy/xpol-a0001

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

Any idea if that antenna will work with a TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,219 ✭✭✭orm0nd

you can get adaptor connectors

Any idea if that antenna will work with a TP-Link Archer MR600 AC1200?

any of the 2 in the quote above

I.m using the top ones from wimo and if stacked correctly and set up correctly they work very well

stacking distance and correct direction is vital though for maximum performance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

TopTec wrote: »

What is this referring to, the 30GB a day fair usage or the total for the previous month? Confusing wording, also pretty worrying since I totaled 755GB last month.

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    The Imagine Portal under-reports by about 10%-15%.

A few months back I got throttled due to going over the limit - The imagine tool was showing me at about 875GB for the month with about 2 days to go , but then I got throttled to 1Mbs and when I called them they said "you've used 1050GB"

So - You actually have no really accurate way to measure your usage which is not any kind of surprise.

Christ thats brutal. I'll probably hit the limit this month if I'm not careful. Lots of file transfers for work.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 alasdair606

Great Speed here in Co. Longoford. Drops to Around 50-60 in evenings.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9290656954.png

Advertisement