Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Fatal Except1on

Im at boiling point with my connection now to the Athy mast.
    Every evening from 5pm to 1am is just chronic. I get on average 0.7mbps down.

Ive spent 20 minutes trying to buffer and watch a short youtube video @240p.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

5 seconds! Back to morse code.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,702 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Terrible here in louth too. 7.30pm until 9.30pm is a disaster

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭SnrInfant

Im at boiling point with my connection now to the Athy mast.
    Every evening from 5pm to 1am is just chronic. I get on average 0.7mbps down.

Ive spent 20 minutes trying to buffer and watch a short youtube video @240p.

Same, only mine never works since I ‘upgraded’ to 5g ready!!
    I’ve had numerous call outs, emailing them every second day, only to be ignored.
    I’m at breaking point with them now. I’m meant to be working from home but most days I can’t even send an email :mad:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 238 ✭✭Falconire

SnrInfant wrote: »
    Same, only mine never works since I ‘upgraded’ to 5g ready!!
    I’ve had numerous call outs, emailing them every second day, only to be ignored.
    I’m at breaking point with them now. I’m meant to be working from home but most days I can’t even send an email :mad:

Stop paying them then they will respond.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

dar_cool wrote: »
    Hi Guys,
    We moved to new house in a rural area recently and currently weighing up options for broadband. We have no fibre and as we are on a small private lane we won't have fibre for years I'd say. I was planning on getting mobile broadband from eir with the 750gb limit but 4g is patchy in the house. I have read pretty dismal reviews of imagine so not sure what to make of it? What would you guys recommend?
    Thanks for the help

It really depends on your mast with Imagine. I'm lucky enough to have a great connection both peak and offpeak. You're only going to hear the bad reviews on here so your best bet is to find someone who uses it in your vicinity and see how theirs is.

9314557505.png

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭Daz_

xxyyzz wrote: »
    It really depends on your mast with Imagine. I'm lucky enough to have a great connection both peak and offpeak. You're only going to hear the bad reviews on here so your best bet is to find someone who uses it in your vicinity and see how theirs is.

9314557505.png

Most speed tests look great at 11am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Daz_ wrote: »

It's over 30Mbps in the evening for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Great Speed here in Co. Longoford. Drops to Around 50-60 in evenings.

https://www.speedtest.net/result/9290656954.png

What mast are you on? My experience is very different from Cairn hill mast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5 conor1508

Just had imagine installed yesterday and told the max they could guarantee was 30-40 Mbps due to blockage between Celbridge and Kilteel. Still, better than 2 Mbps with Eir.

Was getting 20mps yesterday evening, happilly enough, but barely getting 0.3 mbps this evening. Feeling conned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

conor1508 wrote: »
    Just had imagine installed yesterday and told the max they could guarantee was 30-40 Mbps due to blockage between Celbridge and Kilteel. Still, better than 2 Mbps with Eir.

Was getting 20mps yesterday evening, happilly enough, but barely getting 0.3 mbps this evening. Feeling conned.

That the reason I never switched. Still rocking my 2Mbps with vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

So am I right in saying that downloads won't count after 1am until the morning? I can download large TV programs and the usage tool won't count this data?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Fichtl wrote: »
    So am I right in saying that downloads won't count after 1am until the morning? I can download large TV programs and the usage tool won't count this data?

We e-mailed them for clarification on this, but no response (needless to say).

Having said that however, their usage tool is now split into peak and off-peak usage, which does support your assumption.

It would be nice to have it explicitly clarified though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Dero wrote: »

Having said that however, their usage tool is now split into peak and off-peak usage, which does support your assumption.

Not sure what clarification you want as the email they sent says
    "So, to help everyone, we are changing our Fair Usage Policy. Until further notice, ALL data usage between 1am and 7am will NOT be counted as part of your monthly data usage."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Daz_ wrote: »

You can't dispute his advice it was fairly reasonable and sound.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Unless you have problems reading it was super clear tbf

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Not sure what clarification you want as the email they sent says
    "So, to help everyone, we are changing our Fair Usage Policy. Until further notice, ALL data usage between 1am and 7am will NOT be counted as part of your monthly data usage."

Well it pertains to a phone call I received from Imagine *after* that e-mail was sent, warning us of permanent throttling despite the fact that we explicitly and deliberately do all bulk transfers after 1 AM*.

So forgive me if I treat that mail with some degree of suspicion and disdain.

* I have no issue with doing this, but not everything can be scheduled easily; e.g. Xbox (and games consoles in general) have no concept of scheduled downloads. This means staying up late to buy games etc.

listermint wrote: »
    Unless you have problems reading it was super clear tbf

I have no problems with reading (or indeed with reading comprehension).

Well it pertains to a phone call I received from Imagine *after* that e-mail was sent, warning us of permanent throttling despite the fact that we explicitly and deliberately do all bulk transfers after 1 AM*.

So forgive me if I treat that mail with some degree of suspicion and disdain.

* I have no issue with doing this, but not everything can be scheduled easily; e.g. Xbox (and games consoles in general) have no concept of scheduled downloads. This means staying up late to buy games etc.

So a possible option mightbe to put one of these on your router : WfiFi Plug
    You could then switch off the rotuer going to bed, but set a schedule with your phone to switch it on from 1am to 7am

Oh yeah - and you'd have to switch your XBox off during the day and put it into sleep mode at bedtime

Might work

Actually - with the newer routers they give access to some of the functionality so I just checked and you can schedule access based on MAC address so you can essentially block Xbox etc until you want it ot have access - this would solve the scheduled download problem- if you wanted to play online you can just turn ithe block off then, and back on later

Block-Schedule.jpg

• Advertisement

So a possible option mightbe to put one of these on your router : WfiFi Plug
    You could then switch off the rotuer going to bed, but set a schedule with your phone to switch it on from 1am to 7am

Oh yeah - and you'd have to switch your XBox off during the day and put it into sleep mode at bedtime

Might work

Well what I did previously, and may do again was to push all web traffic through a Squid proxy and use delay pools to manage bandwidth on a per client basis and ACLs to control the scheduling. Possibly overkill, but it works.

In any event, I appreciate the suggestion, but I was only making the point that while moving some things to 1 AM - 7 AM is awkward, I'm happy to do it for the sake of the network.

Ultimately though, Imagine (and others no doubt) were caught with their pants down by this. They oversold their network and have little to no additional bandwidth or spectrum to handle a sudden extra sustained load.

I've also used Gargoyle on a router to sit between me and the Imagine router and it worked great - you can monitor bandwidth per connected device and I used it to find what was hogging my network

• Registered Users Posts: 53 ✭✭Fichtl

Actually - with the newer routers they give access to some of the functionality

I probably have an older router, I tried logging in with admin admin or should I try something else?

Fichtl wrote: »
    I probably have an older router, I tried logging in with admin admin or should I try something else?

You have to ring them to get a user / pass - it's not a generic admin one

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,304 ✭✭✭coffeelover

Hi,

We currently have Imagine broadband in our house at the moment. I am renting a house across the road from us (roughly 300m). Does anyone know If imagine would install a box there that would pick up my WiFi? So essentially both houses would be under the one WiFi?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

They won't

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Hi.

I finally got the access details for my Imagine router and I'm forwarding a few ports I need done. Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of all the connected devices, please? Also is there a maximum number of connected devices? A couple of my smart plugs are gone off the network and I can't get them to reconnect.
    Thanks

mossie wrote: »
    Hi.

I finally got the access details for my Imagine router and I'm forwarding a few ports I need done. Can anyone tell me where I can find a list of all the connected devices, please? Also is there a maximum number of connected devices? A couple of my smart plugs are gone off the network and I can't get them to reconnect.
    Thanks
    There should be a "Client List" under the "Network" menu.

Initially I did not have this and I rang tech support to ask them how I could see the client list, and they said the router needed an update - they did the update (software and/or firmware I assume) and I then had it.

Client-List.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

There should be a "Client List" under the "Network" menu.

Initially I did not have this and I rang tech support to ask them how I could see the client list, and they said the router needed an update - they did the update (software and/or firmware I assume) and I then had it.

Client-List.jpg

I don't have this. I'll get in to them again. Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,422 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Hi,

We currently have Imagine broadband in our house at the moment. I am renting a house across the road from us (roughly 300m). Does anyone know If imagine would install a box there that would pick up my WiFi? So essentially both houses would be under the one WiFi?

you don't need anyone to do that for you..

extending your wifi is something you could do yourself

https://signalsolution.novatel.ie/tenda-o6-high-powered-long-range-outdor-wifi-extender

Advertisement