Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

ED E wrote: »
    @Morgana I note your speedwave is gone (would be nice to see your peak/offpeak comparison), personal choice or were you asked?

she posted an up to date link few pages back

here it is
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=d1d2ec92489d3a1a71988c36955e2437&ria=0

wish i was getting these speeds lol

• Registered Users Posts: 1,463 ✭✭✭rodge123

Guys

I dont suppose somebody wants to summarise all the info from the last number of pages in this thread and forward it to somebody in relation to the NBP? (With speed test evidence)
    For all we know, Imagine could be cherry picking test customers connections that they will show to NBP to prove they can meet requirements.

You're a legend if you do :)

I would be great if we could ensure Imagine customers are not excluded from the NBP, as by the looks of things here they will be forever stuck with a far inferior service to what the rest of the country will have!

See this thread for discussion on NBP.

148052897.png

in fairness thankfully no packet loss and mostly A results so that side is a plus but need more consistent speed results.

ps anyone know how to login to the outdoor antenna to check signal status?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

rodge123 wrote: »
    Guys

I dont suppose somebody wants to summarise all the info from the last number of pages in this thread and forward it to somebody in relation to the NBP? (With speed test evidence)
    For all we know, Imagine could be cherry picking test customers connections that they will show to NBP to prove they can meet requirements.

You're a legend if you do :)

I would be great if we could ensure Imagine customers are not excluded from the NBP, as by the looks of things here they will be forever stuck with a far inferior service to what the rest of the country will have!

See this thread for discussion on NBP.

Well go on ahead young man, feel free to do so seeing as you came up with the idea. You're a legend mate....you're a legend mate, you're a legend mate.

dont suppose anyone knows if we can login to see usage or to pay bills in advance

there is this site https://my.imagine.ie/index.php, but assume it is for wimax customers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

One thing I would be curious to see is a throughput graph of an extended speed test taken at peak time. When Speedtest.net runs, it removes the 30% lowest measurements during its test to remove any stutter caused by Flash so its test result figure can be higher than the average sustained speed if the connection speed is erratic.

Go to http://testmy.net/download and ensure its server is set to London or Frankfurt. Then run the 200MB test. When the test completes, click the first code shown below the TID column:

2lisjQy.png

This will show a graph showing the throughput as the test run, which you can take a screenshot of. The following is an example from my workplace 30Mbps VDSL connection:

C5uqoIC.png

A spike at the start is normal and usually the result of some virus checkers holding and releasing the initial chunk of data as it analyses the transfer, similar also if the browser stutters such as with multiple tabs open. If there is a large spike in the test (e.g. >100Mbps), re-run the test.

editorsean wrote: »
    One thing I would be curious to see is a throughput graph of an extended speed test taken at peak time.

not peaktime but an idea of what it is like at present

KG4Z1rPaf.png

Have to say one of the worst dealings I have had with an isp. First the install issues, then the speed problems. Now after switching the modem off and powering it back on an hour later if won't connect. Tech support said they cannot contact the antenna and that it will be up to 5 working days until they can send someone to look at it. Appalled at the service so far

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

One thing i have taken from this thread history is that this or any other wireless technology is absolutely not suited to the NBP. Might be ok as a stop gap measure or for a very short PTP link but as a future proofed technology ...........not a chance.
    https://twitter.com/dcenr please take note. Fibre To The Home all the way!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

seaniefr wrote: »
    One thing i have taken from this thread history is that this or any other wireless technology is absolutely not suited to the NBP. Might be ok as a stop gap measure or for a very short PTP link but as a future proofed technology ...........not a chance.
    https://twitter.com/dcenr please take note. Fibre To The Home all the way!

I don't think that the department has any intention of choosing Imagine as an NBP contractor. The issue may be if Imagine challenge the encroachment into their areas as a breach of state aid rules perhaps leading to areas being excluded from the NBP map.

• Advertisement

irishchris wrote: »
    Have to say one of the worst dealings I have had with an isp. First the install issues, then the speed problems. Now after switching the modem off and powering it back on an hour later if won't connect. Tech support said they cannot contact the antenna and that it will be up to 5 working days until they can send someone to look at it. Appalled at the service so far

I see the installer moved your router. Would you estimate that the distance from the router to the antenna is greater than 30M? If so you could be suffering from voltage loss leading to the antenna not powering up.

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭seaniefr

I don't think that the department has any intention of choosing Imagine as an NBP contractor. The issue may be if Imagine challenge the encroachment into their areas as a breach of state aid rules perhaps leading to areas being excluded from the NBP map.
    This being Ireland are you willing to bet on that?

seaniefr wrote: »
    This being Ireland are you willing to bet on that?

I would be pretty confident. There are three options:

1) Imagine win both NBP contracts. Many people across the country can not get the service due to line of sight issues, perhaps lack of spectrum. Public uproar.

2) Imagine win one NBP contract with the other going to a FTTH provider. The Imagine half of the country is condemned to a sub standard service. Public uproar.

3) Imagine win no NBP contract.

I think option 3 is most likely having followed the department's stance up to now. I believe that they are convinced that FTTH is the only viable solution.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

editorsean wrote: »
    One thing I would be curious to see is a throughput graph of an extended speed test taken at peak time..

k3MGrsA5y.png
    Taken at 16:50

2vlrx1v.png

well turns out the mast i was connected to simply was being optimised due to problems and shut off without notice. i am shocked that the tech support is not informed of such things and when i asked him would it be the mast as they had been working on it he said no it was fine and booked repair technicians for next weeks. within minutes of noticing the router coming to life this evening i got a call from imagine asking me to run some speedtests and informed me of the above. he was very helpful in fairness and cancelled the technician callout. only thing is he said i should notice massive improvements to speeds now but unfortunately it appeared too soon as they are now less that 30 mbs again :-) at least it seems they are actively working on getting a solution to this

Just wondering if anyone here managed to get xbox live may sorted using imagine. I have ports opened but struggling with strict nat still

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Testing at same time as last night but no issues tonight, belting along. Friday night not a peak time perhaps?
    a3Xscw6jk.png

2mn4s37.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

Yikes :eek: - That sure is fast for TestMy.

I think it's the UEFA football match as even my end over Three 4G is 3 to 4 times quicker than what I usually get at this time of evening (10:42pm):

YAuxXVq.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

One at peak time (ish)
    34jagdz.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/further_submission_from_imagine_to_the_3_6_ghz_consultation_process.583.105148.p.html

Imagine are worried that they could lose their 3.6GHz spectrum to the Mobile Network Operators or the fixed operators in the forthcoming auction.

They raise 2 issues, the failure to auction the 2.6GHz band thus leaving the 3.6GHz band exposed to the spectrum hungry MNOs and the possibility that eir or Siro could also bid for the spectrum to exclude the FWA operators from the NBP.
    - We are concerned that despite the stated intention that holdings in 3.6 GHz may be taken into account in a future 2.6 GHz auction, to date ComReg has not acted to provide clarity on this and must do so to ensure the availability of spectrum for Fixed Wireless and to avoid market distortion.

- under the prosed Auction Award there is nothing to prevent the existing Fixed NGA infrastructure operators bidding to acquire substantially all of the spectrum and thereby exclude infrastructure competition and innovation from existing competitors such as Imagine and potential new competitors. Given the NBP and the proposed intervention the potential for market distortion is significant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

The Cush wrote: »
    http://www.comreg.ie/publications/further_submission_from_imagine_to_the_3_6_ghz_consultation_process.583.105148.p.html

Imagine are worried that they could lose their 3.6GHz spectrum to the Mobile Network Operators or the fixed operators in the forthcoming auction.

They raise 2 issues, the failure to auction the 2.6GHz band thus leaving the 3.6GHz band exposed to the spectrum hungry MNOs and the possibility that eir or Siro could also bid for the spectrum to exclude the FWA operators from the NBP.

I saw that release earlier. It is a risky strategy in fairness, signing people up for an 18 month contract on a spectrum licence that expires in a year. Hopefully it will all work out for those concerned as they are providing a service to people.

The Cush wrote: »

They are right to be concerned. Here is a recent interview with ComReg commissioner Gerry Fahy where he explicitly mentions this band. To quote him:
    He said the upcoming release of the 3.6GHz band plus the planned release of further spectrum bands such as 700MHz, 1.4GHz, 2.3GHz and 2.6GHz could support demand until 2019.

https://www.siliconrepublic.com/comms/wireless-broadband-ireland

9726_9726 wrote: »
    I saw that release earlier. It is a risky strategy in fairness, signing people up for an 18 month contract on a spectrum licence that expires in a year. Hopefully it will all work out for those concerned as they are providing a service to people.

Is it not akin to holding the state to random though? Are Imagine prepared to pay the going rate for the spectrum? It will be interesting to see what the other operators have to say about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Imagine are worried because:
    A. Comreg are greedy as can be
    B. Big Red and Hong Kong have much bigger chequebooks than they do

In a straight bidding war they could end up being completely taken off the air. One assumes they're generating a customer base to create political pressure so that woudn't be allowed.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

ED E wrote: »
    Imagine are worried because:
    A. Comreg are greedy as can be
    B. Big Red and Hong Kong have much bigger chequebooks than they do

In a straight bidding war they could end up being completely taken off the air. One assumes they're generating a customer base to create political pressure so that woudn't be allowed.

Agreed, that appears to be the strategy. And they are betting the farm on it. They sold the business customers to Magnet so this is their remaining play.

They are looking to win 150MHz of spectrum. They wanted the maximum per operator increased to 160, as the current maximum of 150 is not a multiple of 20 and everyone will want to use 20MHz channels. It's a fair point. 150 makes no sense.

They are looking for 3.6GHz to be ringfenced for FWA but the EU and Comreg always insist on technology neutral, so I just can't see that happening. It'll be auctioned on the open market and Big Red will be free to bid like everyone else. Dangerous indeed for Imagine's continued operations.

Big Red is awash with cash after selling out of Verizon.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

They are looking for 3.6GHz to be ringfenced for FWA but the EU and Comreg always insist on technology neutral, so I just can't see that happening. It'll be auctioned on the open market and Big Red will be free to bid like everyone else. Dangerous indeed for Imagine's continued operations.

Big Red is awash with cash after selling out of Verizon.

Most likely there will be a 2.6/3.6 GHz spectrum cap in the auction with the MNOs holding off for the more favourable 2.6 GHz capacity band. That band should've been auctioned last year considering the MMDS plan for the band was made back in early 2013. Looking like early 2017 before they consider this band as part of an overall multi-band auction process.

After the not so great experiences I had with the install I have to say am still very impressed with imagine. They are constantly working on improving the new abbeyknockmoy mast and contacted me yesterday and again this morning to check on line speeds and stability and ensured they are working actively in getting it working. They definitely aren't in it to just install and forget about the customer from what I have seen so far. Fingers crossed that speeds hopefully improve for me and others on this mast soon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

If I want to use my own wireless router for improved wifi, what is easiest config for connecting it to Imagine router?

My own router is Gigabit speed so I want to maintain this speed on my network if possible and not drop down to 100mbps speed of Imagine router.

Is it the Imagine router that needs to be switched to bridge mode? Is there a setting in there somewhere for that. All I can see is options to turn off DHCP and WIFI.

leex wrote: »
    If I want to use my own wireless router for improved wifi, what is easiest config for connecting it to Imagine router?

My own router is Gigabit speed so I want to maintain this speed on my network if possible and not drop down to 100mbps speed of Imagine router.

Is it the Imagine router that needs to be switched to bridge mode? Is there a setting in there somewhere for that. All I can see is options to turn off DHCP and WIFI.

There is an option to enter bridge mode on wan settings in the imagine router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

And it's not just that but it makes any NBP bid or map change impossible.

Advertisement