Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

I have Vodafone 4G home broadband which is a life saver and was tempted by adverts of Imagine in my area to switch as they have unlimited downloads (great incentive) as well as boasting higher speeds, perfect for gaming etc.

I work from home and a bit nervous about switching after reading a few pages here. Better the devll you know and all that.....

Anyone else switch from Vodafone 4G and think it was worth it?

Galway

10095100349.png

10095106476.png.

Vodafone is getting slower where I live due to contention

10095130775.png

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Hedge777

Living in Clare outside Ennis and I work from home, I have great speeds in the morning but can drop down to as low as 5-12 mb in the evenings. I now have a FTTH line passing the door and I wrote to customer care 7 days ago to find out about cancelling the service or if they can mach eir's 150mb at 30 euro/month or 1Gb@55 euro/month but have not had a reply since, imagine that!

10097699056.png

10097661570.png

10064905707.png

10094233625.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Hedge777 wrote: »
    I have great speeds in the morning but can drop down to as low as 5-12 mb in the evenings.

Living in Galway have the same issue with peak speeds being disappointing at best.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Hedge777 wrote: »
    Living in Clare outside Ennis and I work from home, I have great speeds in the morning but can drop down to as low as 5-12 mb in the evenings. I now have a FTTH line passing the door and I wrote to customer care 7 days ago to find out about cancelling the service or if they can mach eir's 150mb at 30 euro/month or 1Gb@55 euro/month but have not had a reply since, imagine that!

[

Also in Clare , and whilst my download speeds are a similar profile to yours , my upload is a fraction of what you show , regardless or the time of day - at best I get ~4Mb/s upload.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

Ultimanemo wrote: »
    Galway

Imagine do not have unlimited downloads. I signed up a week ago and my speeds are dropping from 60+ to as low as 1mb in the evening. Their tech team told me I'm being reduced because I'm using more than 2x the average each day. That's pants - I work from home and Netflix gets used in the evening. That's it.

Called them today - promised a call back and no call.
    The customer service person told me there's a 1 TB monthly limit - which means it's not unlimited. It might be a huge volume but when I'm being told my speed is reduced after 4 days because of usage I'm starting to suspect that there may be processes in play that are restricting speeds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 641 ✭✭✭lanod2407

joujoujou wrote: »
    5G with Imagine? They do not provide 5G yet, just LTE.

The fine print says it's 5G ready 🀦*♂️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Also in Clare , and whilst my download speeds are a similar profile to yours , my upload is a fraction of what you show , regardless or the time of day - at best I get ~4Mb/s upload.

My download speeds are pretty consistent around 90Mbps, don't really show any major variation day or night - maybe some days it drops a bit in the evenings to a minimum of 75Mbps. Upload speeds are more variable, rarely over 8 often down to 2 or 3. My sister in law next door has lower download speed (30 - 50) and higher upload (10 - 13) so it's seems to vary from one house to the next.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭happyplants

dashoonage wrote: »
    So I'm finally going to have to give in , my neignbours trees have defeated my wireless isp after 11 years of fantastic service. Trees wont be cut unfortunately. Is anyone here out the clarina kildimo direction with imagine and what's the speeds like , also how are they on cancelling withings the two week period ?

Are they new trees? looking at a place in Kildare with trees and Imagine is the only real option. No mobile 4G comes close to our current data use save Eir and I really hate the idea of having literally one option after Imagine.

lanod2407 wrote: »
    Galway

Imagine do not have unlimited downloads. I signed up a week ago and my speeds are dropping from 60+ to as low as 1mb in the evening. Their tech team told me I'm being reduced because I'm using more than 2x the average each day. That's pants - I work from home and Netflix gets used in the evening. That's it.

The customer service person told me there's a 1 TB monthly limit - which means it's not unlimited. It might be a huge volume but when I'm being told my speed is reduced after 4 days because of usage I'm starting to suspect that there may be processes in play that are restricting speeds.

Yeah, there is a heavy "sales" element involved in the calls. But, jesus a 1TB would be hard to hit after 4 days of netflix? Even on a projected basis...so they are throttling you after how much data use? Can you see how much you actually took down?

Galway

Have you checked your data usage from your Imagine account?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 Oweran

Created an account on Board to talk about this! I think I'm having the exact same issues as you, lanod2407. Signed-up a week ago, and now in the evenings I have as low as 1mpbs... The data usage, in the dashboard from my Imagine account, shows more than what I'm actually using.

It shows 30 GB for today for instance. However, my house is equipped with Google Nest Wifi, and when I look on the Google app, it shows that I'm actually using less than what is shown on the dashboard (around 20 GB).

With my previous ISP, I never exceeded 300-400 GB during the month, and now, after only a week with imagine, the dashboard shows me at 180 GB already, which is a bit difficult to understand.

I contacted customer service but I'm not having a conclusive answer as of now.

New user so I cannot post any image but the speed test shows at 4Mpbs right now.

Oweran wrote: »
    Created an account on Board to talk about this! I think I'm having the exact same issues as you, lanod2407. Signed-up a week ago, and now in the evenings I have as low as 1mpbs... The data usage, in the dashboard from my Imagine account, shows more than what I'm actually using.

It shows 30 GB for today for instance. However, my house is equipped with Google Nest Wifi, and when I look on the Google app, it shows that I'm actually using less than what is shown on the dashboard (around 20 GB).

With my previous ISP, I never exceeded 300-400 GB during the month, and now, after only a week with imagine, the dashboard shows me at 180 GB already, which is a bit difficult to understand.

I contacted customer service but I'm not having a conclusive answer as of now.

New user so I cannot post any image but the speed test shows at 4Mpbs right now.

there must be a verification way for this? I mean, it obviously sounds incredibly suspicious and because its so suspicious, it can't really be the case that Imagine just make up numbers? Like, I'm all for assuming ISPs aren't lovely etc, but this would be very, very...well, lets just say, very bad.

Is there anything "special" about their system that means data gets eaten differently?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

there must be a verification way for this? I mean, it obviously sounds incredibly suspicious and because its so suspicious, it can't really be the case that Imagine just make up numbers? Like, I'm all for assuming ISPs aren't lovely etc, but this would be very, very...well, lets just say, very bad.

Is there anything "special" about their system that means data gets eaten differently?

In my direct experience, yes they do make up numbers. Well, they provide numbers and expect you to accept them regardless.

They tried that with me until I pointed out they were adding ~10GB per day (~300 GB per month) to my usage. This came to light when they throttled my connection *permanently* because said data use was tipping me over their arbitrary red line (well below the official 1TB I might add). The connection became unusable (~1mb) so I stopped using it for a while. However, the usage kept growing. I documented it and when I pointed it out to them, they reversed their permanent throttling but never offered an apology.

I still don't know where the extra data came from, but I do know that I didn't use it. I suspect it was some sort of error in their metering system, but I got no explanation so that's just speculation.

My case may be an outlier, but the point is don't take anything at face value from them. Verify everything you can yourself and challenge them on it.

And what makes their network special is that it's over subscribed and under provisioned; that's all. Their marketing is writing cheques that their network can't cash.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Galway

I'm pretty certain that once you hit 19 or 20gb in a day they throttle you until midnight. Any day I've been throttled I've used >19Gb according to the portal.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Dero wrote: »
    In my direct experience, yes they do make up numbers. Well, they provide numbers and expect you to accept them regardless.

They tried that with me until I pointed out they were adding ~10GB per day (~300 GB per month) to my usage. This came to light when they throttled my connection *permanently* because said data use was tipping me over their arbitrary red line (well below the official 1TB I might add). The connection became unusable (~1mb) so I stopped using it for a while. However, the usage kept growing. I documented it and when I pointed it out to them, they reversed their permanent throttling but never offered an apology.

I still don't know where the extra data came from, but I do know that I didn't use it. I suspect it was some sort of error in their metering system, but I got no explanation so that's just speculation.

My case may be an outlier, but the point is don't take anything at face value from them. Verify everything you can yourself and challenge them on it.

And what makes their network special is that it's over subscribed and under provisioned; that's all. Their marketing is writing cheques that their network can't cash.

I had a similar issue with them as well , although I never got to a permanent throttling.

They throttled my account saying that I had exceeded the 1TB limit 3 or 4 days before the end of the billing cycle , even though their own data usage portal said I was still 150Gb or so below the limit and my own data showed even less usage than that.

When I spoke to them they claimed that "their info" showed I was over the limit , when I showed them their own portal they told me it was wrong and that they went off their "internal" numbers.

I obviously complained , but it went nowhere.

It's totally arbitrary - I have used up to 75/80GB in a single day and hear nothing and then on another day I use 20/25GB and I get an email warning me about excessing usage.

I honestly think that it's got nothing to do with individual usage and it down to their overall network - When they are get struggling with too many users , they fire out an alert to the top X% of users and give them a warning , even though that usage is perfectly reasonable , it's just as you say , they've oversold the network and can't handle the capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

I read a few pages back that the data restriction doesn't apply in off peak hours ie. 1am to 6am etc. Is this no longer the case?

Can you increase the limit if required?

Thanks

Ketron wrote: »
    I read a few pages back that the data restriction doesn't apply in off peak hours ie. 1am to 6am etc. Is this no longer the case?

Can you increase the limit if required?

Thanks

Yes , the off peak usage allowance thing is still in place and no you can't increase the limit.

The usage portal shows you the split usage information for peak and off-peak

• Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭pauly58

I noticed on their website that your landline connection for your phone goes into the router, perhaps a silly question, but what kind of figure would say a 30 minute phone call to the UK add to your download limit.
    I have reservations about signing up with them, but we only get 2.6MB at the moment on the old phone line.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭Ketron

Yes , the off peak usage allowance thing is still in place and no you can't increase the limit.

The usage portal shows you the split usage information for peak and off-peak

Excellent thanks, just waiting for my account to be activated.

pauly58 wrote: »
    I noticed on their website that your landline connection for your phone goes into the router, perhaps a silly question, but what kind of figure would say a 30 minute phone call to the UK add to your download limit.
    I have reservations about signing up with them, but we only get 2.6MB at the moment on the old phone line.

A phone call would add very little. Phone useage would be negligible in data terms.

The things to watch out for are HD video streaming (Netflix/Amazon/Youtube) and games consloes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Has anyone any experience with RuralWIFI. I see that they are now offering a package identical to Imagine.

Imagine and their service is just extremely poor. I get 170+mb during the day but in the evening it is below 5/6mb all the time. The upload is just terrible all the time at below 2mb even during the day.

They sent a crew out the other day to check the connection as it kept dropping. Two lads who to be fair were sound couldn't fault them while they were here couldn't find any problems. Imagine have said that 5mb in the evening and .4mb up at times is fine basically so I either move or live with this until the NBP is complete in my area.

So back to my initial question. Anyone any experience with them?

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Ultimanemo

AH2016 wrote: »
    Has anyone any experience with RuralWIFI. I see that they are now offering a package identical to Imagine.

Imagine and their service is just extremely poor. I get 170+mb during the day but in the evening it is below 5/6mb all the time. The upload is just terrible all the time at below 2mb even during the day.

They sent a crew out the other day to check the connection as it kept dropping. Two lads who to be fair were sound couldn't fault them while they were here couldn't find any problems. Imagine have said that 5mb in the evening and .4mb up at times is fine basically so I either move or live with this until the NBP is complete in my area.

I had them, they use Three network. if you buy a router and antenna with Three PAYG Card you get the same service

AH2016 wrote: »

I also had them prior to Imagine, nothing to complain about and I got speeds pretty close to what I get from Imagine. I changed to Imagine as I hoped I would get better speeds.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

So, I just got off the phone to Imagine.

Was finally told that my traffic was deprioritised for weeks. Was causing my latency in games etc etc. Basically the gist of it was that the off-peak is kind of useless as it still counts towards your daily traffic in terms of whether you are priority or not but doesnt count towards your 'fair usage of 1TB'.

So even on the days when I was using 15GB peak, but had download 30GB off peak the morning before, they saw that as 45GB and wouldnt cap my speeds but would deprioritise my traffic. Apparently it's a Covid-19 measure to stabilise the entire network.

FML.

NakQuada wrote: »
    So, I just got off the phone to Imagine.

Was finally told that my traffic was deprioritised for weeks. Was causing my latency in games etc etc. Basically the gist of it was that the off-peak is kind of useless as it still counts towards your daily traffic in terms of whether you are priority or not but doesnt count towards your 'fair usage of 1TB'.

So even on the days when I was using 15GB peak, but had download 30GB off peak the morning before, they saw that as 45GB and wouldnt cap my speeds but would deprioritise my traffic. Apparently it's a Covid-19 measure to stabilise the entire network.

FML.

It's very sneaky and underhand. Aside from the fact that they don't notify you of this happening, it makes the off-peak hours and the 1TB fair use allowance essentially useless.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Dero wrote: »
    It's very sneaky and underhand. Aside from the fact that they don't notify you of this happening, it makes the off-peak hours and the 1TB fair use allowance essentially useless.

Yeah, the guy admitted that himself. He said it was stupid. I was told that anything between 20GB and 27GB of daily usage was considered 'excessive' and would cross the line into 'deprioritised traffic'. So even if I used 8GB during the day but I downloaded 20GB off peak that would tip me over the edge.

What is the point of the off-peak then? A joke.

NakQuada wrote: »
    Yeah, the guy admitted that himself. He said it was stupid. I was told that anything between 20GB and 27GB of daily usage was considered 'excessive' and would cross the line into 'deprioritised traffic'. So even if I used 8GB during the day but I downloaded 20GB off peak that would tip me over the edge.

What is the point of the off-peak then? A joke.

I suspect that this has happened to me more than a few times.

What is the likely impact of "deprioiritisation"?

How slow are we talking here?

And how long does it last for - Just the rest of that day or longer?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

I suspect that this has happened to me more than a few times.

What is the likely impact of "deprioiritisation"?

How slow are we talking here?

And how long does it last for - Just the rest of that day or longer?

I suppose it depends on how many people are on the mast. I regularily hit 20-30GB a day and still average 60+Mbit cos theres basically nobody else on the mast. I knew when they brought it in because it immediately dropped from the usual 120Mbit+.

This shows from 1/10/19 to start of this month:
    https://imgur.com/rhYKZUc

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oweran

Called them as well and it confirms what was said before. If you go above roughly 20GB then you are de-prioritised. For me, it translates into 50Mbps off-peak and a whooping 2/3Mpbs peak time.

They also confirmed that the "off-peak" data, so when you download during the night, is counted toward this daily limit. It's not counted towards the 1TB Monthly allowance though. At midnight it resets... Their fair usage policy doesn't seem to talk about this at all...

• Advertisement

I suppose it depends on how many people are on the mast. I regularily hit 20-30GB a day and still average 60+Mbit cos theres basically nobody else on the mast. I knew when they brought it in because it immediately dropped from the usual 120Mbit+.

This shows from 1/10/19 to start of this month:
    https://imgur.com/rhYKZUc
    Oweran wrote: »
    Called them as well and it confirms what was said before. If you go above roughly 20GB then you are de-prioritised. For me, it translates into 50Mbps off-peak and a whooping 2/3Mpbs peak time.

They also confirmed that the "off-peak" data, so when you download during the night, is counted toward this daily limit. It's not counted towards the 1TB Monthly allowance though. At midnight it resets... Their fair usage policy doesn't seem to talk about this at all...

Thanks guys.

Any idea on how long the de-prioritisation lasts? - The rest of the day , the rest of the billing cycle??

Advertisement