Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

NakQuada wrote: »
    Imagine tech support just looked at it and said some nonsense like "we're going to do an internal reboot on your device, this will fix the 'search cache' and you should be grand going forward"

Sounds like they're fobbing you off and hoping you'll go away...

In other news, if you're on the Athy mast, this may be relevant to you.

https://twitter.com/NatBroadbandIrl/status/1333447712772141058

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Oh wow, I'm in the Kilkea area. I wonder what that means for a time-frame for deployment?

NakQuada wrote: »
    Oh wow, I'm in the Kilkea area. I wonder what that means for a time-frame for deployment?

No-one knows for sure yet, but the consensus seems to be assume about a year from survey to connection.

Stick your Eircode in here and it may give a time frame. It sometimes lags behind the real activity though, so keep an eye out for NBI vans in the area.

https://www.nbi.ie/map/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Mate told me theres a period after midnight where the download cap doesn't apply. I'm not so sure

Is this true? Thinking of xbox game updates etc

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nalz wrote: »
    Mate told me theres a period after midnight where the download cap doesn't apply. I'm not so sure

Yes and No.

Between 1am and 7am downloads do not count towards the 1TB monthly limit.

BUT - They do count against the "unacceptable usage" limits.

Basically - If you download more than about 25GB in a day they will throttle your usage for the rest of that day.

So , if you do a big Xbox update overnight it won't count against the monthly limit , but it will ruin your speeds for the rest of that day.

It's a complete scam - As if you can't download more than ~25GB in a day it's utterly impossible for you to get anywhere close to 1TB in a month.

The daily value is variable - If you download more than (I think) double the average for your cell for a day they throttle you.

Feedback from people here would suggest that for most people it kicks in somewhere in around the 25GB mark , but depending on where you are, it might be a bit higher or lower.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10 Asendor

only noticed this now.. well played Imagine, well played

old bill: 48.77 EUR ex VAT, 11.22 EUR VAT @ 23% total: 59.99 EUR
    new bill: 49.58 EUR ex VAT, 10.41 EUR VAT @ 21% total: 59.99 EUR

stunning..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Asendor wrote: »
    only noticed this now.. well played Imagine, well played

old bill: 48.77 EUR ex VAT, 11.22 EUR VAT @ 23% total: 59.99 EUR
    new bill: 49.58 EUR ex VAT, 10.41 EUR VAT @ 21% total: 59.99 EUR

stunning..

That’s one for Comreg. Should be a simple case if they decide to do anything .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Asendor wrote:
    old bill: 48.77 EUR ex VAT, 11.22 EUR VAT @ 23% total: 59.99 EUR new bill: 49.58 EUR ex VAT, 10.41 EUR VAT @ 21% total: 59.99 EUR

They are under no obligation to pass on the VAT reduction to the consumer. GoMo has done similar with their billing.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oweran

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Yes and No.

Between 1am and 7am downloads do not count towards the 1TB monthly limit.

BUT - They do count against the "unacceptable usage" limits.

Basically - If you download more than about 25GB in a day they will throttle your usage for the rest of that day.

So , if you do a big Xbox update overnight it won't count against the monthly limit , but it will ruin your speeds for the rest of that day.

It's a complete scam - As if you can't download more than ~25GB in a day it's utterly impossible for you to get anywhere close to 1TB in a month.

The daily value is variable - If you download more than (I think) double the average for your cell for a day they throttle you.

Feedback from people here would suggest that for most people it kicks in somewhere in around the 25GB mark , but depending on where you are, it might be a bit higher or lower.

Got confirmation that the throttling kicks-in at any point between 15GB to 30GB and it reset at midnight.

Oweran wrote: »
    Got confirmation that the throttling kicks-in at any point between 15GB to 30GB and it reset at midnight.

So if i wanna update a game on xbox thats gonna be 20gb-40gb update I should do it around 11:50pm!?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23 musefan123

The monthly download cap doesn't apply between the hours of 1am and 7am if I remember correctly. However, it still affects your daily cap, which is utterly ridiculous. Imagine are basically saying, use our service for gaming if you like, but good luck to you trying to download a game, because we'll be deprioritising you for the rest of the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 musefan123

Dero wrote: »
    No-one knows for sure yet, but the consensus seems to be assume about a year from survey to connection.

Stick your Eircode in here and it may give a time frame. It sometimes lags behind the real activity though, so keep an eye out for NBI vans in the area.

https://www.nbi.ie/map/
    Unfortunately that doesn't give you a time frame.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

musefan123 wrote: »

The NBI website is useless.

No timelines , no schedules or anything actually valuable.

Mine just says "Pending Survey" without even a vague indication of when a survey might happen.

It does give a time frame for those who have been surveyed. I'm still pending survey, so nothing for me.

Check out the National Broadband Ireland : implementation and progress thread. There are examples there of people with dates (some as early as this month)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

The NBI website is useless.
    Couldn't agree more.
    No timelines , no schedules or anything actually valuable.
    No surprise really. After so many bigger and smaller fcukups they are extremely cautious with anything concrete.
    Mine just says "Pending Survey" without even a vague indication of when a survey might happen.
    Same as mine. And it stays so since the website's up.

The monthly download cap doesn't apply between the hours of 1am and 7am if I remember correctly. However, it still affects your daily cap, which is utterly ridiculous. Imagine are basically saying, use our service for gaming if you like, but good luck to you trying to download a game, because we'll be deprioritising you for the rest of the day.

Thanks! Is there any exact science to what the daily cap is?

And if I did download a 30gb game at 11:30am at night, do I get penalized for the next day, or is midnight the cut off?

Thanks! Is there any exact science to what the daily cap is?

And if I did download a 30gb game at 11:30am at night, do I get penalized for the next day, or is midnight the cut off?

Midnight is the cut-off..

So for a large update - Pick a day where you've had light enough usage and kick it off later in the evening , that way you split the load across 2 Calendar days reducing the risk of you hitting the daily "excess usage" cap.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Considering Threes new 5G BB solution to replace Imagine. Wondering is it better / worse. Its obviously hard to tell and strongly based on individual environmental coverage.

listermint wrote: »
    Considering Threes new 5G BB solution to replace Imagine. Wondering is it better / worse. Its obviously hard to tell and strongly based on individual environmental coverage.

What sort of speed are they offering?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,047 ✭✭✭✭listermint

They are not giving figured just saying some equivalence to connections from EIR , virgin and Vodafone.

Lot of marketing speak but scant on details. Again it's 'unlimited' package and cheaper than imagine.

Need to find out of there is a grace period for return or exit contract

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

Contractual speed from three website...

Mobile D/L: Max 25Mbps
    FWA D/L: Max 150Mbps; Min 25Mbps

https://www.three.ie/legal/terms/mobile-network-speeds.html

listermint wrote: »
    They are not giving figured just saying some equivalence to connections from EIR , virgin and Vodafone.

Lot of marketing speak but scant on details. Again it's 'unlimited' package and cheaper than imagine.

Need to find out of there is a grace period for return or exit contract

It's a 1TB limit and then charged at 6.5c per megabyte after that according to their Terms & Conditions..

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

Ok does anyone have random "DNS errors" despite setting the DNS with your own router/on your devices. This is beyond a joke it keeps happening for weeks usually around peak times only 5PM-10PM roughly...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Ok does anyone have random "DNS errors" despite setting the DNS with your own router/on your devices. This is beyond a joke it keeps happening for weeks usually around peak times only 5PM-10PM roughly...

Yes having this issue for the last few weeks, I had them out last week to fix a speed issue which they fixed but I'm still seeing a DNS issue not had the time to contact them about it.

Starts 5PM as regular as the clock.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I've just signed up with them. :eek:

No other options as I'm stuck with landline 3 mb/s (on a good day) so I'll see how it goes...

They tell me they have a new mast in the area (which I believe as I could not join their existing service earlier) and the new one is in a different direction so I expect to be pointed towards it- I'll be here for the install.

I got no warning about the limits/fair usage policy mentioned elsewhere, which is odd. I attach the latest terms and conditions I got which might interest people.

I'll report back in due course.

After three months of fighting and complaining, they told me that they are now (since yesterday) making the "off peak" period from 1am to 7am truly off peak: it won't count against the daily quota either.

It's not much but it's already something. I haven't tried it yet though so can't 100% confirm.

After three months of fighting and complaining, they told me that they are now (since yesterday) making the "off peak" period from 1am to 7am truly off peak: it won't count against the daily quota either.

It's not much but it's already something. I haven't tried it yet though so can't 100% confirm.

That's good news (assuming they abide by it), but bloody hell it's hard work getting any concession from that lot.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Hopefully they mean it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

I've just signed up with them. :eek:

No other options as I'm stuck with landline 3 mb/s (on a good day) so I'll see how it goes...

They tell me they have a new mast in the area (which I believe as I could not join their existing service earlier) and the new one is in a different direction so I expect to be pointed towards it- I'll be here for the install.

I got no warning about the limits/fair usage policy mentioned elsewhere, which is odd. I attach the latest terms and conditions I got which might interest people.

I'll report back in due course.

Have I gone mad or have they removed the 20GB daily limit?

There's no mention of it here - https://www.imagine.ie/acceptable-use-policy/

Unless it's covered under the "Excessive Use" and they'll only tell you it's 20GB when you call?

I know for a fact that they have had a mention of 20GB before.

• Advertisement

Wing126 wrote: »
    Have I gone mad or have they removed the 20GB daily limit?

There's no mention of it here - https://www.imagine.ie/acceptable-use-policy/

Unless it's covered under the "Excessive Use" and they'll only tell you it's 20GB when you call?

I know for a fact that they have had a mention of 20GB before.

The 20gb was removed, covered under "excessive use" and they'll only tell you if you are really insistent (mostly, you get the truth once you manage to speak to a tier 2 agent or a manager).

My understanding is that the 20gb limit was publicly mentioned on their website around 2 years ago, then removed in favor of the 1tb monthly limit and then they've added back the daily 20gb limit with COVID and lockdown but kept it hush hush.

Advertisement