Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

These uncertainties, intermittent connectivity problems, lack of support staff (it seems) and high costs are extremely unjust.

Have Comreg ever gotten involved?

I've moved from being an Eir customer in Dublin to an Imagine customer in Wexford and seems I can't catch a break!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

I've just signed up with them. :eek:

No other options as I'm stuck with landline 3 mb/s (on a good day) so I'll see how it goes...

They tell me they have a new mast in the area (which I believe as I could not join their existing service earlier) and the new one is in a different direction so I expect to be pointed towards it- I'll be here for the install.

I got no warning about the limits/fair usage policy mentioned elsewhere, which is odd. I attach the latest terms and conditions I got which might interest people.

I'll report back in due course.

So, got my install today. I got plenty of advance emails and they turned up just after nine. They tested for a signal first. Perhaps unsurprisingly, there was no signal from the new mast that I was told about (approx. 4 kms away). The guy showed me a map on his phone which clearly indicated I was just outside the coverage area. I said I was told I was in my initial call I was inside, but he politely indicated the office staff did not know what they were on about in this regard.

After a while, he came back to me to say they could get a signal from a mast 20km away (much higher location and more powerful- 22km according to my line of sight calculator if he told me the correct hill). He was getting 80 mb/s and over 100 from time to time. I asked about this and in fairness he said it would go down later in the day as more users logged on. I decided to proceed and we agreed the routing for the cable and the location for the router. They were reasonably fast and tidy, I can't fault the work. One of them got me to log on with my phone and we did a couple of checks- all fast enough.
    I've been running speed checks throughout the day and the signal has gone from 110-115 this morning to 10-20 now. This is still way better than the max. 3 mb I was supposedly getting on the landline, so I am still in a better place for similar money.
    I signed up for the phone service too so I will see how that works. I'll report back in a few weeks....

• Registered Users Posts: 3 PMAW

Steer clear totally
    Joined over 12 mths ago..non stop issues.
    I am in direct sight of the mast in Ballycumber in Sth Wicklow.
    On several occasions their technicians have been out (brilliant lads) each time before they come you will be told if the issue was self created you will be billed but they never refund anything when it turns out they were the problem.
    I am 6 days waiting for a call
    I have spent hours listening to a recording of "your call will be answered shortly" but never is.
    So I rang the sales number which is answered in approx 50 seconds.
    When you do get the call center you will have a language problem...
    STAY AWAY FROM THIS SERVICE ....SO BRUTALLY POOR

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

What are people doing on this mast.... Two days now of about 2000ms ping to discord, 5mbps downloads.... Always ends around midnight.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Oweran

What are people doing on this mast.... Two days now of about 2000ms ping to discord, 5mbps downloads.... Always ends around midnight.

If it stops at midnight it probably means that you got deprioritised? How much do you download during the day?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Wquirke1234

From 100mbps a few months back to less than 1 now. Got through to them after an hour waiting......they really couldn't care less or willing to send an engineer out

From 100mbps a few months back to less than 1 now. Got through to them after an hour waiting......they really couldn't care less or willing to send an engineer out

consistently like that? Where in Ireland are you?

1.8 Mbps now.......it might go up to 7-8 during the afternoon for a while but after 5pm forget it

Why would I have speeds from 25mb to 60mb, from speedtest app, but immediately I go to an app or open a browser page and it takes 5 to 15 seconds to load/open or timeout?

I'm paying 60 quid a month for this! I'm 8 feet from the router!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Nalz wrote: »
    Why would I have speeds from 25mb to 60mb, from speedtest app, but immediately I go to an app or open a browser page and it takes 5 to 15 seconds to load/open or timeout?

What browser and OS ?
    Also - what website as it depends on how heavy the images and JS on the page is

Have you tried a different browser ?

• Advertisement

I gave my 30 days notice of cancellation just before Xmas as I will be getting fibre optic.

Tbh they didn't even try to convince me to stay as a customer

deadl0ck wrote: »
    What browser and OS ?
    Also - what website as it depends on how heavy the images and JS on the page is

Have you tried a different browser ?

chrome on Android phone, apps like coinbase and fotmob

or simply replying here takes 6-7 seconds

I turned off my WiFi, let 4g do it's thing. much smoother, apps and pages run more smoothly. BUT, speed test on the 4g was 6mb!!

Turn WiFi imagine back on, sluggish but speed tests coming in anywhere from 18mb to 35mb.

Speed isn't everything it seems, anyone with networking savvy explain this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

I have experienced this issue and my conclusion is that it's a DNS issue unfortunately Imagine lock the router down so that you can't change the DNS server that the router provides.

To test if you're experiencing the same issue follow this guide for windows 10 and set two new DNS servers (I used one from OpenDNS [208.67.222.222] and one of Google [8.8.8.8]).

ARGINITE wrote: »
    I have experienced this issue and my conclusion is that it's a DNS issue unfortunately Imagine lock the router down so that you can't change the DNS server that the router provides.

To test if you're experiencing the same issue follow this guide for windows 10 and set two new DNS servers (I used one from OpenDNS [208.67.222.222] and one of Google [8.8.8.8]).

Thanks! Did you ever resolve the issue or improve the situation?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

In brief: cascading routers would give an opportunity to set own DNS servers.

But only if wi-fi and DHCP are disabled on imagine router.

Ok does anyone have random "DNS errors" despite setting the DNS with your own router/on your devices. This is beyond a joke it keeps happening for weeks usually around peak times only 5PM-10PM roughly...

Are people just putting up with this? I'm getting seriously fed up of it

Are people just putting up with this? I'm getting seriously fed up of it
    I'm not having that issue at all - could it be your phone - can you test on a laptop ?

You could try using the Open DNS or Google DNS as suggested previously - article on how to do it here

Also - try using firefox, or better yet Opera as a temp browser on your phone, to rule out chrome caching issues. Also maybe try an incognito tab on Chrome to make sure it's not some extension or other that has the issue

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

I'm not having that issue at all - could it be your phone - can you test on a laptop ?

You could try using the Open DNS or Google DNS as suggested previously - article on how to do it here

Also - try using firefox, or better yet Opera as a temp browser on your phone, to rule out chrome caching issues. Also maybe try an incognito tab on Chrome to make sure it's not some extension or other that has the issue

Not OP but I am most definitely having the issue while using Google and Cloudflare's DNS servers. Different devices have the same problem at the same time.

Not OP but I am most definitely having the issue while using Google and Cloudflare's DNS servers. Different devices have the same problem at the same time.

Can you try a direct connection to the router with Ethernet and try with an incognito browser tab ?

• Advertisement

Can you try a direct connection to the router with Ethernet and try with an incognito browser tab ?

the issue I thought is with WiFi, no?

Also I'm having disconnects with apps such as fotmob, coinbase pro etc on my mobile device

Well if it's Wi-Fi then it's not really an issue with Imagine then

Which router have you ? If you have the one with both 2.4 and 5Gzh have you tried both connections?

Also - how many other devices are connected to it ?

Well if it's Wi-Fi then it's not really an issue with Imagine then

Which router have you ? If you have the one with both 2.4 and 5Gzh have you tried both connections?

Also - how many other devices are connected to it ?

I'm not 100% sure it's only WiFi, I was just asking people more in the know if it was. Come to think of it my iptv acts up the odd time.

It is the 2.4 and 5gz, the 5gz has awful range and is even more volatile.

Only two phones on WiFi, a cable (well using to link) to smart TV and a direct ethernet to laptop are connected.

Sorry for stupid question but when you asked someone to go incognito with direct cable was that just to test something?

when you asked someone to go incognito with direct cable was that just to test something?
    Incognito mode usually disables any browser extensions / plugins (like adblockers etc) that may be causing slowdown.

On the flip side - if you are not blocking ads on your browser (with AdBlock plus or something similar), if a website is pulling down loads of ads it can slow you down a lot - so that may be something to try also

so there's a few people with this DNS issue and I take it it's a case of just putting up with it?

so there's a few people with this DNS issue and I take it it's a case of just putting up with it?

I'm using OpenDNS servers for my DNS on my Windows machine and I've had no issues

Have you tried changing you DNS ?

I'm using OpenDNS servers for my DNS on my Windows machine and I've had no issues

Have you tried changing you DNS ?

Thanks for all the replies deadlock btw.

I did this https://go.skimresources.com/?id=61111X1383796&isjs=1&jv=14.4.0-stackpath&sref=https%3A%2F%2Ftouch.boards.ie%2Fthread%2F2057558377%2F209&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.privateinternetaccess.com%2Fblog%2Fchanging-your-dns-settings-on-windows-10%2F&xguid=01CTXA7FVJYYY3DR0M8RSFTVEN&xs=1&xtz=0&xuuid=500f61a89ba3ab102fba7c7cc0a16de0&xjsf=other_click__touchstart%20%5B%5D&cci=a6fa689a7ab2a012b0ae83dda420dddd (sorry for long link I'm on phone) and set to open DNS and Google's 8.8.8.8

I didn't see any difference tbh

Hmm - it's all weird - did you try a laptop with wired connection - if it's OK at least you can be sure it's a WiFi issue....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I use my own DNS through pihole but I still have issues with loading times on pages.

• Advertisement

This could be interesting for you to try: http://speed-battle.com/speedtest_e.php

I'm getting in the 900s with both Edge and Chrome

Advertisement