Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

deadl0ck wrote: »
    This could be interesting for you to try: http://speed-battle.com/speedtest_e.php

I'm getting in the 900s with both Edge and Chrome

overall 181 on WiFi Android chrome

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I've had the DNS issue for the last 5 or 6 weeks I think. No matter whether wired or wireless. Fking pain in the behind worse at peak times

Crap, really?

Okay I guess my question is has anyone raised this with them and seeked out a genuine explaination? 60 quid a month with a cap is nothing to be sneezed at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Nalz wrote: »
    overall 181 on WiFi Android chrome
    Can you get Opera and try it and see if it's any better ?

Can you get Opera and try it and see if it's any better ?

Only marginally, 187.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Crap, really?

Okay I guess my question is has anyone raised this with them and seeked out a genuine explaination? 60 quid a month with a cap is nothing to be sneezed at

I have raised the DNS issue with Imagine and the reply I got was that the DNS could be set manually on a device which I told them totally defeating the purpose of DHCP. But Imagine didn't care.
    Since them I have set up a seperate DHCP server to provide DNS servers.

Try this: https://www.solvedns.com/dnsspeedtest/

(I'm using OpenDNS as my DNS servers on my Windows box that I'm testing from)

Here's my results for boards.ie : Pr5xN2S.png

ARGINITE wrote: »
    I have raised the DNS issue with Imagine and the reply I got was that the DNS could be set manually on a device which I told them totally defeating the purpose of DHCP. But Imagine didn't care.
    Since them I have set up a seperate DHCP server to provide DNS servers.

Thanks...so erm, how easy is it to setup a DHCP server?

What have you as your DNS settings right now on the device you are testing on right now ?

This is mine: ddMR0Ek.png

What have you as your DNS settings right now on the device you are testing on right now ?

This is mine: ddMR0Ek.png

I feel like I'm clogging up the thread with my issue and lack of networking knowledge. Apologies to all

I'm testing solely with my mobile. Can I change DNS settings on that? I've changed DNs settings on my windows laptop to OpenDNS and Google 8.8.8.8 but haven't tested much with that machine.

I only use laptop for work from 8-5pm and never really had issues

It's with my TV and mobile devices especially in evening time where I have issues.

• Advertisement

definite improvement

thank you so much

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

I had my windows PC changed over a long time ago but forgot about my phone.. until your post. Wow the difference! Stuff / apps updates is a hell of a lot less sluggish now.. Thanks!

definite improvement
    thank you so much
    Excellent !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I have my own router and changed the DNS server to Google's 8.8.8.8 - so far so good, seems like an improvement. Shall see if it holds up xD

If you have another router from the previous ISP then the easiest thing to do is disable the DCHP on the Imagine router and use the other router as the DHCP server.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭SkepticQuark

10684093098.png

Just your average day, as for the DNS comments, I've done literally what everyone has been saying well before bringing it up here. I still get high latency when doing things like Discord or gaming and you'll get random unexplained dropouts where the connection just dies, you can't look anything up without a name unresolved etc. It's almost like it knows when you're doing something like Discord/games and just ****ing throttles the **** out of you.

Absolutely dreadful here in Arklow this evening
    Hardly enough juice to run one device
    I'm going to try Google dns now
    But we shouldn't have to do this
    Its not fit for purpose

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭Debub

Hi - I live in a place where we still have copper to the house and the alternatives are Eir and Vodadione, both of whom cannot give more than 10mbps in real life speeds. Imagine has just come in and my neighbor got a new connection from them and gets consistent speeds of around 50-60 mbps. Very tempted to take the plunge as my current provider provider Vodafone says that they cannot do more than 10mbps till the NBP is live in our area.
    Advise?

thanks

Debub wrote: »
    my neighbor got a new connection from them and gets consistent speeds of around 50-60 mbps.

At what time of the day do they see these speeds and when did the connection go live?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,759 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

[...] Imagine has just come in and my neighbor got a new connection from them and gets consistent speeds of around 50-60 mbps. [...]

That's the biggest concern. Thay just came in, so first few connected are getting decent speeds. With more and more connected to the same sector, speeds will drop significantly.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,241 ✭✭✭god's toy

Hi - I live in a place where we still have copper to the house and the alternatives are Eir and Vodadione, both of whom cannot give more than 10mbps in real life speeds. Imagine has just come in and my neighbor got a new connection from them and gets consistent speeds of around 50-60 mbps. Very tempted to take the plunge as my current provider provider Vodafone says that they cannot do more than 10mbps till the NBP is live in our area.
    Advise?

thanks

I think it all comes down to if your in a built-up high demand area/how new the transmitter is and if the transmitter is over subscribed (yet?) or not.

I got connected to them in Rathdrum Wicklow well over a year ago with a brand new site/mast and that connection got me over 200mbs on day one and still today gets over its 150mbs mark even at peak times. (according to my Sam-Kows box) I myself moved house and went with them again (about 4 months ago) but this time connecting to a transmitter that looked to be much more lightly older and more heavily used (serving Wicklow town itself) and while my connection speed is down (40 to 80 sometimes up to 100mbs) it still never drops much lower than 40 at 7pm that even at peaks times. my only issue is the phone port on the box doesn't work anymore...

From what I have seen here, most of the complaints are from long standing users who are on longer standing/established transmitters that were simple over subscribed... Not for one moment saying I wont be back with the same complaints myself down the road but so far so good...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

god's toy wrote: »
    I think it all comes down to if your in a built-up high demand area/how new the transmitter is and if the transmitter is over subscribed (yet?) or not.

I got connected to them in Rathdrum Wicklow well over a year ago with a brand new site/mast and that connection got me over 200mbs on day one and still today gets over its 150mbs mark even at peak times. (according to my Sam-Kows box) I myself moved house and went with them again (about 4 months ago) but this time connecting to a transmitter that looked to be much more lightly older and more heavily used (serving Wicklow town itself) and while my connection speed is down (40 to 80 sometimes up to 100mbs) it still never drops much lower than 40 at 7pm that even at peaks times. my only issue is the phone port on the box doesn't work anymore...

From what I have seen here, most of the complaints are from long standing users who are on longer standing/established transmitters that were simple over subscribed... Not for one moment saying I wont be back with the same complaints myself down the road but so far so good...

It's very dependent on what mast you're on. I joined them late 2019, new mast, was told my speeds would be up to 70Mbs download but it's averaged higher than that generally- 80+Mbps in the evening 100+Mbps off peak. Upload speed around 7 - 8 Mbps anytime. However my sister-in-law 200m away gets a max of 40Mbps and it's often much lower but she's on a different mast.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

morgana wrote: »
    I've had the DNS issue for the last 5 or 6 weeks I think. No matter whether wired or wireless. Fking pain in the behind worse at peak times

I changed to the Cloudflare DNS servers on the router and have seen an immediate impact for the better.

Webpages load instantly rather than there being a few seconds delay each time and I haven't had a single "outage" all day - Previously 2 or 3 times an hour my connection would completely drop for a few seconds and any open sessions would get disconnected.

Made the change this morning , will see if it continues to help during the evening , when the outages used to get more extensive.

But , so far so good.

Changed mine there now
    Big difference
    How can a professional business allow this to happen?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

AuntySnow wrote: »
    Changed mine there now
    Big difference
    How can a professional business allow this to happen?

Because they’re more like a professional marketing business than an isp!

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I changed to the Cloudflare DNS servers on the router and have seen an immediate impact for the better.

Hi,
    Can I please ask how you connect to the cloudflare DNS servers?
    Do you have to pay a subscription?

I'm using OpenDNS for a while and find it ok. But I do get dropouts when streaming or on Zoom calls..

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

vidapura wrote: »

If you have access to the router it is easier to make the change there and then all devices on the network will use it rather than having to edit each one individually.

• Advertisement

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    If you have access to the router it is easier to make the change there and then all devices on the network will use it rather than having to edit each one individually.

I don't think Imagine let you change it on their device

Advertisement