Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

I'd Imagines number as a percentage of actual customers is right up there with Eirs based on these figures.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/news/arid-40219787.html
    The Commission for Communications Regulation (ComReg) figures for the last quarter of the year showed that its consumer care team recorded 2,120 fixed service provider issues for Eir, and a further 689 in relation to its mobile service.

Some 974 issues were recorded for Vodafone in relation to fixed services, which denotes calls and broadband. A further 440 issues were recorded for Sky Ireland, 278 for Virgin Media, and 139 for Imagine.

It would be far better if Comreg issued the ratio of complaints to number of customers per operator.
    Would give a good indication to consumers of how happy people are generally with their operator.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

I firmly believe that with the National broadband plan on the horizon Imagine made a decision in the last 3 months to go for a smash and grab and load up all their masts with as many customers as possible. They were never great but in the past 3 months it has been all but unusable on all masts in the evenings. I know that at the start of this year, my own local mast wasn't accepting any new customers as they had reached their limit and the speeds were still in the 10 - 20 Mbps in the evenings which is usable for multiple streaming devices but lately it has been a consistent 2 - 5Mbps after 6. I cannot wait until I see the back of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

speeds and pings have been terrible for me too in the last few weeks, mainly from 5/6pm on.
    Am wondering if what is happening me and others is the effect of "deprioiritisation" as being discussed on page 536 due to hitting the 20GB daily limit (that include off peak :eek:)
    Looking at my usage on the myImagine portal since 1st of Feb and we have gone over that every day.
    Cant see what the daily stats for January are unfortunately.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Scruff wrote: »
    speeds and pings have been terrible for me too in the last few weeks, mainly from 5/6pm on.
    Am wondering if what is happening me and others is the effect of "deprioiritisation" as being discussed on page 536 due to hitting the 20GB daily limit (that include off peak :eek:)
    Looking at my usage on the myImagine portal since 1st of Feb and we have gone over that every day.

You are probably not a million miles away to be honest..

I have 4 people at home working/studying and during the day we could all be connected to Zoom/Teams etc. for extended periods of time.

Both apps use ~1Gb/Hr per session so over a 6-8 hour timeframe , getting to ~25GB is totally achievable.

Add in other online activities at the same time and hitting 30Gb+ by early evening is not in any way "unacceptable" usage.

Throw in a few XBox or Playstation game updates overnight and you are right up there without any significant effort.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 910 ✭✭✭homewardbound11

Didnt get to a speed test today .....

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Scruff wrote: »

I'm well below the daily cap of 20GB, usage is about 8GB, but still getting rubbish
    speeds and woeful ping.

They done some deals last year with mobile operators for extra spectrum for a lot of masts, noticed my speeds actually increase for a good while.

I suspect those deals have expired and not been renewed and would explain why number of us have crap speeds the last few months again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

rodge123 wrote: »
    They done some deals last year with mobile operators for extra spectrum for a lot of masts, noticed my speeds actually increase for a good while.

I suspect those deals have expired and not been renewed and would explain why number of us have crap speeds the last few months again.

11 January 2021
    The Spectrum Lease Licence agreement between Imagine and Eir and Vodafone will be extended for a further three-month period from 13 January 2021 to 12 April 2021.

Imagine and Three have decided not to extend their Spectrum Lease Licence agreement.

21 December 2020
    The Spectrum Lease Licence agreement between Imagine and Dense Air has been extended for a further three-month period from 22 December 2020 to 21 March 2021.

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

Got a txt from Imagine on Wednesday saying they were "optimizing" the network, and since then, my speeds have dropped from over 100 Mb at peak to now less than30Mb. Good work imagine!

Castlebar area - anyone else experiencing issues for past 3 days?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭bergipau

The Cush wrote: »

I am trying three at the moment and it is WAY faster than imagine, I am getting 50-100 at peak. I am concerned about dropping imagine because if I am benefiting from the extra capacity it might drop in a few months!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Got a txt from Imagine on Wednesday saying they were "optimizing" the network, and since then, my speeds have dropped from over 100 Mb at peak to now less than30Mb. Good work imagine!

Castlebar area - anyone else experiencing issues for past 3 days?

That happened to me before and afterwards I noticed only one bar of signal on the Imagine CPE, whereas it's usually showing full signal. I rebooted the box and it was fine.

I think it may have switched to a less optimal sector on the mast while they worked on the usual one and never switched back till I rebooted it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Ok

Lots of people with issues

What can we do about it? Individually complain to comreg? Doubt it will do any good. Don't think there's a way to collectively complain.

60 quid a month for poor service that's capped v low is a robbery imo. Supply and demand or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Nalz wrote: »
    What can we do about it? Individually complain to comreg? Doubt it will do any good. Don't think there's a way to collectively complain.

Prepare to leave.

Imagine are on borrowed time. Spectrum is to WISPs as fuel is to a truck. Imagine were squatting on spectrum, were told to give it back, then did temporary deals to keep some of it. As time goes on they lose more and more. Both Eir and Three are doing some serious work on their RANs, VF will have to keep pace sooner or later. Progress for them is regression for Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad1337

Worked at Imagine Tech Support, I won't say too much to reveal myself, but I can offer some insight towards some of the policies of Imagine that has been made vague on purpose for customers.

1. Fair Usage Policy (FUP) is 1TB, or 1000MB. If customer went over the limit once, restriction of 1Mbps would be applied until end of the month. If customer went over the limit twice, restriction would be applied permanently.

2. Deprioritisation, which is part of the Acceptable Usage Policy (AUP), is applied to all customers that went over 25GB in a day. The usage will be reset everyday at midnight 12am.

3. Usage at Non-Peak Hour (12am to 6-7am ish) would not be count towards FUP and deprioritisation. Those only applied to Peak hour (6-7am to 12am next day)

4. Imagine legally requires to warn customers by email or text before applying restrictions. If customer did not receive such emails, call Tech support and they will revert the restriction.

5. Agents are told specifically not to reveal what is the usage limit that triggers deprioritisation to customers.

6. Some customers are affected differently compared to others when being deprioritised, depend on the mast they are on and how busy it is.

7. Unfortunately it is true, some customers are getting very good speed in the beginning, up to 80+ mbps when first installed. Over the course of months their speed is gradually slower and slower. It is not uncommon to see customer calling in getting less than 10mbps, with great signal and not deprioritised. I confirmed that that is the speed the mast is pushing, as of why is the mast pushing slow speed? Go figure.

Personally I wouldn't recommend going for Imagine at all unless it is extremely rural and it is the only option.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

What's the fee for terminating contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 micksey1969

€100 i think

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Worked at Imagine Tech Support

What's the cheapest way out of the Imagine contract?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad1337

ARGINITE wrote: »
    What's the cheapest way out of the Imagine contract?
    Cancellation fee is around €100 or more, depends on how many months you still have in your contract or not. It is up to the cancellation department.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Service is getting worse. Experiencing these random and increasingly frequent drop-outs that last for a couple of minutes. Anyone else getting this? North Kildare.

Christ, they would make you bite your mother!

Brutal speeds this morning, only getting one bar signal on router compared to usual 3 or 4.

Got this text from them yesterday!
    Well past 8am at this stage.

Cappagh, north kildare mast.

Hi, as we continue to optimise and improve your 5G ready broadband experience, engineers will be conducting OTA (over the air) software, firmware and optimization updates to your local broadband service on Wednesday 10th of February between 07:30 and 08:00. Although unlikely, these updates may affect your broadband connection temporarily during this time - thanks, imagine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

3. Usage at Non-Peak Hour (12am to 6-7am ish) would not be count towards FUP and deprioritisation. Those only applied to Peak hour (6-7am to 12am next day)

I'm pretty sure the non-peak hours kick in at 1am, not 12 am. It's a real pain because you kick something off downloading on xbox for example before you go to bed and wake up to your account already having been deprioritised due to using 25gb between 12am and 1am.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

rodge123 wrote: »
    Christ, they would make you bite your mother!

Brutal speeds this morning, only getting one bar signal on router compared to usual 3 or 4.

Got this text from them yesterday!
    Well past 8am at this stage.

Cappagh, north kildare mast.

Hi, as we continue to optimise and improve your 5G ready broadband experience, engineers will be conducting OTA (over the air) software, firmware and optimization updates to your local broadband service on Wednesday 10th of February between 07:30 and 08:00. Although unlikely, these updates may affect your broadband connection temporarily during this time - thanks, imagine.

Try rebooting the Imagine router. It won't fix the underlying crap service, but it should get it back to the usual signal level.

I had the same after an OTA update previously (Old Kilcullen mast).

Dero wrote: »
    Try rebooting the Imagine router. It won't fix the underlying crap service, but it should get it back to the usual signal level.

I had the same after an OTA update previously (Old Kilcullen mast).

Tried already, cheers though.
    Got this message from them about 9.30

Local Broadband Message Hi - Our engineers have identified a fault which may cause a disruption to your broadband service. We do expect this fault to be rectified quickly. We will continue to keep you informed and updated with further messages to come. Thanks Imagine.

They’ve broken something with their upgdrades!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Idiots. No service here either as of 11 AM. Can't work.

Ardent wrote: »
    Idiots. No service here either as of 11 AM. Can't work.

If they were generally good I’d give them a pass but have no room for forgiveness left with them. What genius thought it a good idea to apply firmware and software update at 7.30am just as everyone working from home is starting to come online.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Personally I wouldn't recommend going for Imagine at all unless it is extremely rural and it is the only option.

Thanks for the insights.. but isn't the above pretty much the only reason any of us are with Imagine?

Surely no one is with them by actual choice?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Thanks for the insights.. but isn't the above pretty much the only reason any of us are with Imagine?

Surely no one is with them by actual choice?

I'm sure it doesn't apply to you but other posters on here have noted in the past Imagine billboards and antennas going up on houses in areas that are FTTH enabled. Not sure its an actual "choice" or just ignorance of the alternatives and their clear superiority though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I was on a Teams meeting last night and I got disconnected 4 times in 30 minutes. My Up / Down speeds seemed OK at the time. This isn't the first time as it seems to always be unstable for me. Anyone having similar issues with Imagine and Teams?

• Registered Users Posts: 539 ✭✭✭captain_boycott

mossie wrote: »
    I was on a Teams meeting last night and I got disconnected 4 times in 30 minutes. My Up / Down speeds seemed OK at the time. This isn't the first time as it seems to always be unstable for me. Anyone having similar issues with Imagine and Teams?

Me too, regularly get disconnected in teams, even though speed test is ok.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Me too, regularly get disconnected in teams, even though speed test is ok.

Maybe it's a teams thing. Zoom seems to be ok when I use that

Advertisement