Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

Have the same issue with Team

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

Just to add some balance, I'm on Teams for a lot of each day in some shape or form and I can't remember the last time I experienced a disconnected during a call or meeting.
    Actually, Imagine is normally quite solid for me during working hours. It's the evenings that I suffer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

disabled xbox auto updates and banned the kids from youtube except for school work. Daily usage has been <20GB at peak times and no issue since. PITA that have to do this in this day and age.
    Was looking at lightnet again. Their plans come with a "priority data allowance" which is 1000GB for the top plan. Not sure how this plays with their FUP that says it throttles after 30 mins at half your max rate..
    Other PITAs: Youtube doesn't let you set quality limits like netflix. Xbox doesn't let you schedule updates.
    Probably cause most of the world has moved on from caps....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Gemancy

Eurgh, wish I thought to search out this thread sooner. Just signed up with Imagine, waiting for the speed test, thinking it was the answer to many years of misery getting between 440kbps to 2.6mbps with VF. It sounds just as bad. Fibre was installed within my locale but stopped within 1 mile from our house :mad: so disheartening trying to work/ help with schoolwork and having to drive a distance from the house to access mobile hotspot to upload anything!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

Gemancy wrote: »
    Eurgh, wish I thought to search out this thread sooner. Just signed up with Imagine, waiting for the speed test, thinking it was the answer to many years of misery getting between 440kbps to 2.6mbps with VF. It sounds just as bad. Fibre was installed within my locale but stopped within 1 mile from our house :mad: so disheartening trying to work/ help with schoolwork and having to drive a distance from the house to access mobile hotspot to upload anything!

Just remember that not many with a positive experience go to the bother of taking part in this thread. Not saying that imagine are in any way good, but they will probably be better than what you were getting with vodafone, and in some areas there are no issues at all if you don't go over the download cap which not everyone will. Worst case scenario you are not happy after the 14 day cooling off period and cancel with them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,718 ✭✭✭ARGINITE

daraghwal wrote: »
    Worst case scenario you are not happy after the 14 day cooling off period and cancel with them.

Does the cooling off period start from when the contract is signed or from when the installation goes live?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

ARGINITE wrote: »
    Does the cooling off period start from when the contract is signed or from when the installation goes live?

According to Imagine:

"At any time within a period of fourteen (14) days from receipt of the Order by imagine, you are entitled to cancel the Order for any reason whatsoever on prior written notice to imagine (“the Cooling Off Period”). You are liable for any usage charges incurred prior to this cancellation of the Service(s). No other cancellation charges shall apply in respect of cancellation during the Cooling Off Period."

According to ComReg:

A consumer who enters into a distance or off-premises contract, has a right to cancel it during a “cooling-off” period. The period during which consumers can cancel such a contract for goods or services is 14 days from the day the contract is concluded. The day the contract is concluded is when the customer receives their contract from the operator. Please note this does not apply to business consumers or to on-premise contracts (for example in a service provider’s retail outlet/shop). Please note that off- premises contracts must include information on how to cancel your contract.

___

I know most operators allow cancellation 14 days from the day it is installed but that doesn't appear to be the case with Imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭vidapura

mossie wrote: »
    I was on a Teams meeting last night and I got disconnected 4 times in 30 minutes. My Up / Down speeds seemed OK at the time. This isn't the first time as it seems to always be unstable for me. Anyone having similar issues with Imagine and Teams?

Yep, Teams is a disaster.
    I was driven mad during the first lockdown with videocalls dropping .. so I sat on Imagine for 3 months and eventually they sent out a team.
    The lads said that if the modem detects a lot of dropped packets then it resets itself.
    They put it down to the cabling and went up and re-did the connections at the aerial. While they were there they decided to swing the aerial around to a different mast.. and suddenly I was getting 120Mbps .. which was a massive improvement from the 5 to 30 Mbps I was getting before.

So I was thrilled.. until the next Teams call... and it feckin dropped again...

I don't see it happening on Zoom at all.. so I dunno .. maybe it handles the video compression better...

I find Teams is a pile of sh1te tho.. very flakey.. like the virtual backgrounds only work when I place a call.. if I click an email link they don't appear..
    Stuff like that...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

vidapura wrote: »
    Yep, Teams is a disaster.
    I was driven mad during the first lockdown with videocalls dropping .. so I sat on Imagine for 3 months and eventually they sent out a team.
    The lads said that if the modem detects a lot of dropped packets then it resets itself.
    They put it down to the cabling and went up and re-did the connections at the aerial. While they were there they decided to swing the aerial around to a different mast.. and suddenly I was getting 120Mbps .. which was a massive improvement from the 5 to 30 Mbps I was getting before.

So I was thrilled.. until the next Teams call... and it feckin dropped again...

I don't see it happening on Zoom at all.. so I dunno .. maybe it handles the video compression better...

I find Teams is a pile of sh1te tho.. very flakey.. like the virtual backgrounds only work when I place a call.. if I click an email link they don't appear..
    Stuff like that...

We used to use teams at work but have switched totally to zoom as it wasn't very stable for a lot of people. Another organisation I'm involved with use Teams and that's where I have issues.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 66 ✭✭Gemancy

daraghwal wrote: »
    Just remember that not many with a positive experience go to the bother of taking part in this thread. Not saying that imagine are in any way good, but they will probably be better than what you were getting with vodafone, and in some areas there are no issues at all if you don't go over the download cap which not everyone will. Worst case scenario you are not happy after the 14 day cooling off period and cancel with them.

Yes, thanks, that’s true I suppose, it definitely can’t be any worse than what we have now! This daily limit I’ve read about on here has me worried but hopefully we’ll be well below that. Cheers!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 468 ✭✭thebackbar

hello,
    l left imagine broadband twelve months ago, however they didn't remove the equipment, i was wondering could i re-purpose their modem as a backup link using a 4g payg sim card ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

I use teams and imagine and see zero issues with teams.

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭EdmondShiels3

For the Teams Issue

Try uninstalling it and download it again for the website. Also search for Windows update assistant and install the update form there. I have had user who had issue and the update fixed them.

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/topic/windows-10-update-assistant-3550dfb2-a015-7765-12ea-fba2ac36fb3f

Link to download the update

[https://www.microsoft.com/software-download/windows10

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Gemancy wrote: »
    Yes, thanks, that’s true I suppose, it definitely can’t be any worse than what we have now! This daily limit I’ve read about on here has me worried but hopefully we’ll be well below that. Cheers!

To be honest, I have no issues during the day. 2 of us work from home at the moment and we home school the kid online with no issues. The problems mostly arise in the evenings during peak hours and even then it's usuable if you are only streaming on one device.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

xxyyzz wrote: »
    To be honest, I have no issues during the day. 2 of us work from home at the moment and we home school the kid online with no issues. The problems mostly arise in the evenings during peak hours and even then it's usuable if you are only streaming on one device.

It certainly seems that they are not applying any throttling during the day time , regardless of your usage - I guess as some kind of nod towards the current remote work/school situation.

However , if you exceed 25GB of "peak time " usage you will get throttled from about 6pm (or whenever you hit the 25Gb limit if later than that).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    It certainly seems that they are not applying any throttling during the day time , regardless of your usage - I guess as some kind of nod towards the current remote work/school situation.

However , if you exceed 25GB of "peak time " usage you will get throttled from about 6pm (or whenever you hit the 25Gb limit if later than that).

That must depend on the mast, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 29 randomlad1337

That is not true. If you exceed 25GB of peak time (6am to 12am next day) usage you will be deprioritised. The reason why you experienced slower speed in the evening is because thats generally when most people are streaming, browsing etc, and the site is much busier from the evening. As a result, you will feel the effect of deprioritisation more.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Nalz wrote: »
    That must depend on the mast, right?
    That is not true. If you exceed 25GB of peak time (6am to 12am next day) usage you will be deprioritised. The reason why you experienced slower speed in the evening is because thats generally when most people are streaming, browsing etc, and the site is much busier from the evening. As a result, you will feel the effect of deprioritisation more.

I'm not sure on either count to be honest.

I'm only going off my personal experiences so far.

In the very early morning on what I assume is a largely empty network I can get download speeds north of 175Mb/s (I've seen as high as 215Mb/s) - From ~8am through most of the daytime hours I get speeds in the 40Mb/s to 70Mb/s range and sometimes higher - I just ran two test 5 minutes apart , First test shows 117Mb/s down , 2.4Mb/s , the second test gave 48Mb/s down and 2.3Mb/s up.

So significant variability, but largely usable for most of the daytime hours - apart from the annoying habit of dropping completely for a few seconds a couple of times an hour!!

In the evenings if I haven't been hit with deprioritisation my speeds are typically in the 10Mb/s to 15Mb/s range

However , if I go above about 25Gb downloads during the day , my speeds don't really change from the above ranges until about 6pm when they drop to speeds in the 1Mb/s to 2Mb/s range and later in the evening (8pm to 11pm) they will drop to almost nil - 0.1Mb/s etc. with horrendous ping rates.

After 11pm there is an improvement - I'll get back to the 1-2Mb/s range and then around midnight it pops back up to the mid teens and at about 1am I start to get the full speeds again.

Again , not sure what the actual policy is , just going on my personal experiences on my connection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I regularly go over 25GB a day and it has no affect on our speed TBH, I'm one of the lucky ones (for now), out mast is not highly contented and I get between 30-50 at peak times.

However we went over our monthly allowance on Christmas days (of all days) and we were reduced to 1meg for the rest of the month.

In January we went over it again on the last day of the month (we got no warning text or email).

Then in Feb it did not reset, we were stuck on 1meg. They told us that we would be put on that for ever because it was our second time, but because we never got the warning email/text they have restored out speeds.

Horrible, horrible company.

And before anyone says, how can you go over 1tb per month.
    Easy enough when you have 2 people working from home and 3 kids homeschooling.

I think during lockdown they should suspend this limit they have, if they left us at 1meg we literally would not be able to work from home.

I cannot wait for the day when I get a NBI connection so I can cancel them.

I'm now checking every day so see how much of our data we have used up, I literally have data allowance anxiety :) now on top of all other anxiety's that everyone else has

I regularly go over 25GB a day and it has no affect on our speed TBH, I'm one of the lucky ones (for now), out mast is not highly contented and I get between 30-50 at peak times.

However we went over our monthly allowance on Christmas days (of all days) and we were reduced to 1meg for the rest of the month.

In January we went over it again on the last day of the month (we got no warning text or email).

Then in Feb it did not reset, we were stuck on 1meg. They told us that we would be put on that for ever because it was our second time, but because we never got the warning email/text they have restored out speeds.

Horrible, horrible company.

And before anyone says, how can you go over 1tb per month.
    Easy enough when you have 2 people working from home and 3 kids homeschooling.

I think during lockdown they should suspend this limit they have, if they left us at 1meg we literally would not be able to work from home.

I cannot wait for the day when I get a NBI connection so I can cancel them.

I'm now checking every day so see how much of our data we have used up, I literally have data allowance anxiety :) now on top of all other anxiety's that everyone else has

I regularly go over well over 1TB for the month in total when you count the "off peak" usage.

So far this month I am sitting on 822GB usage - 456GB Off Peak and 386Gb Peak and I'd expect to be close to double those figures by months end.

Pretty much all of the Off Peak Usage is my sons XBox downloading games and updates - Between a new game and a few updates to existing ones it downloaded over 220GB in one night last week for example. The Games are huge!!

With multiple people at home working and studying , 1TB is really not a lot.

Between that and watching the daily 25Gb limit it's tiresome.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

I regularly go over well over 1TB for the month in total when you count the "off peak" usage.

So far this month I am sitting on 822GB usage - 456GB Off Peak and 386Gb Peak and I'd expect to be close to double those figures by months end.

Pretty much all of the Off Peak Usage is my sons XBox downloading games and updates - Between a new game and a few updates to existing ones it downloaded over 220GB in one night last week for example. The Games are huge!!

With multiple people at home working and studying , 1TB is really not a lot.

Between that and watching the daily 25Gb limit it's tiresome.

Yep in this day in age 1TB is not a lot when 5 people are stuck at home 24/7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Ardent

Just received this. They're taking the piss. After their last upgrade efforts, am I supposed to cancel all meetings tomorrow morning?

Hi, as we continue to optimise and improve your 5G ready broadband experience, engineers will be conducting OTA (over the air) software, firmware and optimization updates to your local broadband service on Thursday 18th of February between 08:00 and 10:00. Although unlikely, these updates may affect your broadband connection temporarily during this time - thanks, imagine.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

Ardent wrote: »
    Just received this. They're taking the piss. After their last upgrade efforts, am I supposed to cancel all meetings tomorrow morning?

Unbelievably incompetent fools, worst possible time to applying updates like that, should be done when least amount of people on network. Not when large numbers will be logged on working from home.
    I couldn’t work for a half day a few weeks back when they applied similar update that ended up breaking then mast for half the day!

Got same message from them just now, I’m on the Cappagh mast north kildare.
    It was actually last Wednesday the mast went down from 8am till about 11.30am after they applied the updates that were unlikely to affect your service!
    Christ almighty, I’ll lose the plot if I can’t work in morning.l due to their incompetence again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

could you tether your mobiles 4g connection to your work laptop and work away using that while it is down perhaps?

BArra wrote: »
    could you tether your mobiles 4g connection to your work laptop and work away using that while it is down perhaps?

Not me anyway, new build house means poor 4g signal inside house. Maybe if it’s dry I can sit out on the patio or in car and do it! :D
    Very unproductive though as need 2 monitors to work effectively.

Got this message this morning, can't say I noticed any problem in the past few days.

Local Broadband Message Hi - Our engineers have identified a fault which may cause a disruption to your broadband service. We do expect this fault to be rectified quickly. We will continue to keep you informed and updated with further messages to come. Thanks imagine

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 463 ✭✭grousedogtom

Hi
    I had this imagine 5g broadband installed last Monday. Living very near to the mast.
    Speeds consistent throughout the day in excess of 100mb
    Come to 5 or 6pm speeds completely drop as low as 1 to 2mb
    Everything runs extremely slow and streaming is not an option after 6pm.
    Why would there be such a vast swing in speeds?
    Is this normal with Imagine broadband?
    I think I will cancel early next week before cooling off period expires.
    Will probably revert back to Vodafone 4g at €40 per month, at least the speed was consistent at about 15 to 20 mb
    Any advise would be greatly appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,757 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Hi
    I had this imagine 5g broadband installed last Monday. Living very near to the mast.
    Hi.

It's not 5G, despite advertising as such.
    Speeds consistent throughout the day in excess of 100mb
    Come to 5 or 6pm speeds completely drop as low as 1 to 2mb
    Everything runs extremely slow and streaming is not an option after 6pm.
    Why would there be such a vast swing in speeds?
    Oversubscribed sector + everybody online, hence congestion.
    Is this normal with Imagine broadband?
    Yes.

• Advertisement

My niece was using my computer and broadband this morning for an exam. Twice during the exam she lost the connection and we had to reboot the router on both occasions. The PC is wired directly to the router so not a wifi issue. Imagine has been very good for me but it seems to have developed a habit of dropping the connection during Teams calls and now this issue.

Advertisement