Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Thanks, I might just have to try and get the modem login from them and sort it out myself, could take ages going back and forth on the phone.
    Did you have to jump through many hoops to get them to give it to ya?

No - I just asked for it and they gave it to me.

In fact , they gave it to me when they enabled Bridge mode - I made the change myself on the router as I recall.

I don't think it's a full admin account , more super-user , but I can change all the meaningful things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Nevermind, I just switched back and forth between static IP and automatic IP for WAN on the ASUS router and its grabbing the external address now. :confused:

The old off-and-on-again never fails.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭motley

Cheers for following up, whats the contention at peak times like with lightnet? What kinda numbers are ya getting for ping? My only real problem with Imagine lately is the 16-20ms ping jitter.

There are no Contention issues so far even at peak times. Ping really varies. 7-9ms during day. It's 17—19ms this evening.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 MrWong

What are your guy's opinions on going with imagine, no fibre where I live and the only other option is going hotspot, use 3 hotspot from my phone atm and I'm only getting about 10mb, so I'd assume i'd get about the same with a dedicated device (might be wrong) imagine seem like the only option, I got through about 100gb myself with just gaming and watching some shows and YT, rest of the family just do general internet browsing and a little streaming, though I can see the amount I use myself going up a bit if we got better wifi (watching better quality vids downloading games ect), Is there any other options ye can think and/or would you recommend me going with imagine?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

MrWong wrote: »
    What are your guy's opinions on going with imagine, no fibre where I live and the only other option is going hotspot, use 3 hotspot from my phone atm and I'm only getting about 10mb, so I'd assume i'd get about the same with a dedicated device (might be wrong) imagine seem like the only option, I got through about 100gb myself with just gaming and watching some shows and YT, rest of the family just do general internet browsing and a little streaming, though I can see the amount I use myself going up a bit if we got better wifi (watching better quality vids downloading games ect), Is there any other options ye can think and/or would you recommend me going with imagine?

Start about 10 pages back and read the thread, that'll give you a good idea

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 269 ✭✭Magilla Gorilla

Start about 10 pages back and read the thread, that'll give you a good idea

I’m three months in. Just tested now and getting 10 mb. This is fairly typical for me in the evening. I don’t do streaming or gaming etc. so it works for me. I had a meeting on Zoom last week at 7.30 pm with over 50 people and had no issues.
    Much better Mb during the day.
    No other options here so I’m happy enough. I had 3mb peak with Sky on the landline.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

It really depends on where you are, how many are on your mast etc. Some people have a nightmare with imagine, some, including me, are relatively happy with them. Your best bet is finding someone in your area with them and talking to them about it.

mossie wrote: »
    It really depends on where you are, how many are on your mast etc. Some people have a nightmare with imagine, some, including me, are relatively happy with them. Your best bet is finding someone in your area with them and talking to them about it.

Any idea if there is a way to know where the mast if around me because due to the area I don't think many would be with imagine but that depends on how big of an area it has to cover

I think they generally use existing mobile phone / telecoms masts for their equipment.

Any idea if there is a way to know where the mast if around me because due to the area I don't think many would be with imagine but that depends on how big of an area it has to cover

I used this to figure out that the antenna was pointed at the wrong mast:
    https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

Went from 2/5 to 5/5 signal on the outdoor yoke. :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't mind but theres only 1 mast in the area that they use, it was pointed at a vodafone/three/eir mast about 10km farther away.

• Advertisement

I used this to figure out that the antenna was pointed at the wrong mast:
    https://siteviewer.comreg.ie/

Went from 2/5 to 5/5 signal on the outdoor yoke. :rolleyes:
    Wouldn't mind but theres only 1 mast in the area that they use, it was pointed at a vodafone/three/eir mast about 10km farther away.

Do you know if there is a way to search by the crowd whos runs it quite a number of masts around me but alot seem like they are ran by Three and vodafone

Do you know if there is a way to search by the crowd whos runs it quite a number of masts around me but alot seem like they are ran by Three and vodafone

Don't think so unfortunately.
    I've been staring at this yoke for years cos before Imagine we were on either Three's atrocious NBS or just a pre-pay sim with them so knew generally what was on each of the masts in the area.
    Yer probably just gonna have to start with the closest, check what all cells are on it then move outwards from there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Ardent wrote: »
    Just received this. They're taking the piss. After their last upgrade efforts, am I supposed to cancel all meetings tomorrow morning?

I'd be testing your Three setup first, see if theres room to improve.

Three, download a console game, play game.
    Imagine, download a console game, be crippled for a month on the go slow list.

Use Cellmapper (https://www.cellmapper.net/apps) to map local coverage if you like. Record as you drive in and out of the area and that'll start to populate the cells in the area.

ED E wrote: »

Use Cellmapper (https://www.cellmapper.net/apps) to map local coverage if you like. Record as you drive in and out of the area and that'll start to populate the cells in the area.

Didn't know about this! I know when I had the old USB dongles and ran mobile data monitoring app I could see about 10-12 cells up here. Joys of being on the side of the mountain, if the dongle picked the wrong cell I was screwed for speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

ED E wrote: »
    I'd be testing your Three setup first, see if theres room to improve.

Three, download a console game, play game.
    Imagine, download a console game, be crippled for a month on the go slow list.

Use Cellmapper (https://www.cellmapper.net/apps to map local coverage if you like. Record as you drive in and out of the area and that'll start to populate the cells in the area.

Edited post to take the Bracket out of the URL. Was throwing it off

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

listermint wrote: »
    Edited post to take the Bracket out of the URL. Was throwing it off

What time is the unmetered bandwidth?
    I need to update my mac and it's a 13gb update. If I do it during the regular time it will blow the 20gb before end of day and kids will be going mental if we get throttled

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 172 ✭✭keithoh

deadl0ck wrote: »
    What time is the unmetered bandwidth?
    I need to update my mac and it's a 13gb update. If I do it during the regular time it will blow the 20gb before end of day and kids will be going mental if we get throttled

It's between 1am and 7am. However the data usage does still go towards your daily usage, it doesn't count towards your monthly usage though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

keithoh wrote: »
    It's between 1am and 7am. However the data usage does still go towards your daily usage, it doesn't count towards your monthly usage though.

Sh1te :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

keithoh wrote: »

I think it's been confirmed that this is no longer the case and I haven't seen any repercussions from downloading during the off peak time.

The problematic time is from 12am to 1am, when it's a new day but not technically off peak.

Is it down again ? :O
    South Wicklow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

I too have been an Imagine customer for the last 5 years or so. Living in the Donoughmore area of Cork and currently on the Mylane mast. I've had a reasonably positive experience with Imagine to be fair. I've had some minor issues with the home phone and the new cat12 router. Still doesn't work but its not a deal breaker, I simply disconnected the landline and can use the zoiper app on my mobile. I've also had various other services over the years and ALL have had data caps and speed issues of their own. I've had tooway satellite broadband also...which, compared to Imagine....was not fit for purpose and 50% more expensive with slower speeds and smaller data caps. Im not affiliated in anyway with Imagine and am just giving a small piece of advice to anyone wanting to sign up. My current speeds range from 190M (max at about 3am), to about 30M (min at peak times). I cannot fault the service so far. If you have a better, more stable solution, stick with it. If not, try Imagine, worst case scenario you pay the fee for cancelling and forget it. If you don't like the service, move on. If you can't move on, then there's always satellite.
    Mr.Musk has his Starlink service being offered in Ireland in Beta mid 2021. 99euro a month 600 install. Might be a viable option until the NBI infrastructure is rolled out. As the satellites are in low orbit, the latency is apparently sub 50m/s and they plan to get it sub 20m/s. Speeds of 300m are promised. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel for some. I recon this may be a game changer for some. Good luck in your quest for the broadband you deserve.

I had an email from Imagine on Tuesday saying they would be upgrading their "High-Performance WTTx Broadband Network" in my area in the early hours of yesterday, Haven't noticed any improvement, if anything a slight decrease in speeds.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,044 ✭✭✭✭listermint

mossie wrote: »
    I had an email from Imagine on Tuesday saying they would be upgrading their "High-Performance WTTx Broadband Network" in my area in the early hours of yesterday, Haven't noticed any improvement, if anything a slight decrease in speeds.

I think it's for more resiliency to drops rather than giving individuals higher speeds tbh. Capacity improvements

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

My service has improved again in the evenings. It was a disaster in January and February but it's up to 20Mbps again in the evenings.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

xxyyzz wrote: »
    My service has improved again in the evenings. It was a disaster in January and February but it's up to 20Mbps again in the evenings.

Definitely seeing some more stability in the evening performance in recent weeks.

Still huge variation morning to evening , but evenings are largely stable and useable at the moment unlike Jan/Feb where most days it was essentially unusable.

listermint wrote: »
    I think it's for more resiliency to drops rather than giving individuals higher speeds tbh. Capacity improvements

That would be welcome. I've been having a lot of drops over the last couple of months so more stability would be good.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Rosilka

I have almost 1 year contract with Imagine and Internet didn't get sorted, at begging they didn't want install the cable, my husband which is a qualified electrician did the cable installation and after every time internet doesn't work, Imagine put fault on cables even though it was a software fault, the engineer from Imagine told me when come at my house. But now they said they can't do anything with this service, if I have no internet it is my business up to I pay someone to change the cable. Yet, after my trouble went to talk to people about it and quite few people which tried Imagine and gave up. I am typing from my phone 4g as Imagine services are down.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lights flashing on the modem and no internet, what does this mean?

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

RobertKK wrote: »
    Lights flashing on the modem and no internet, what does this mean?

Should have said router, and now it’s dead.

RIP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭bergipau

RobertKK wrote: »
    Should have said router, and now it’s dead.

RIP

Not necessarily. Can you plug a computer directly into the router?
    first try a restart. Unplug it for a minute and give it a few mins to restart.
    I also had to reset my router a few times to restore service.

Advertisement