Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,750 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

bergipau wrote: »
    Not necessarily. Can you plug a computer directly into the router?
    first try a restart. Unplug it for a minute and give it a few mins to restart.
    I also had to reset my router a few times to restore service.

That didn't work.

There will be someone calling out to fix it, I hope before Easter...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Seems to be crapping the bed today. Abnormally slow for this cell. 0-1 bar of signal on the modem, normally full.
    11214000632.png

Update: really dying now! Dunno where its getting 20ms ping from my ping graph in afterburner is at 300ms
    11214144965.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Bloody hell - want to get borderlands for Switch as it's on sale digitally and it's like 35GB - so basically I don't have a hope with a 20GB limit before I'm throttled :/

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

deadl0ck wrote: »
    Bloody hell - want to get borderlands for Switch as it's on sale digitally and it's like 35GB - so basically I don't have a hope with a 20GB limit before I'm throttled :/

Downloads between 1am and 7am don't count toward either the 1TB or the ~20Gb/Day limit anymore.

They used to count against the daily limit , but not anymore

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    Downloads between 1am and 7am don't count toward either the 1TB or the ~20Gb/Day limit anymore.

They used to count against the daily limit , but not anymore

I though they still counted against the daily limit ?

If not that would be brilliant

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

deadl0ck wrote: »
    I though they still counted against the daily limit ?

If not that would be brilliant

No - Definitely doesn't count.

My son has a XBox and regularly does very large downloads overnight with no impact during the day (unless the day time usage goes above ~25Gb for me , then throttling kicks in).

Yesterday for example he downloaded 67GB off-peak and usage during the day was not impacted at all.

For the last few months I've had total download figures of around 1200GB for the month , fairly equally split between peak and off peak

That's brilliant - thanks all !!

• Registered Users Posts: 325 ✭✭mickey15ie

What is total usage allowance per month with Imagine?

mickey15ie wrote: »
    What is total usage allowance per month with Imagine?

You get "deprioritised" at over 20GB per day and you monthly is 1TB

• Registered Users Posts: 37 XXTOMXX

I just booked an installation with imagine today but im beginning to regret it after reading some of the posts on here. Is there any one from carlow that can tell me how the find them. I have been with aptus for the past 6 years and am getting 30 to 40 mbs. Imagine said in my area its averaging around 90mbs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 946 ✭✭✭daraghwal

XXTOMXX wrote: »
    I just booked an installation with imagine today but im beginning to regret it after reading some of the posts on here. Is there any one from carlow that can tell me how the find them. I have been with aptus for the past 6 years and am getting 30 to 40 mbs. Imagine said in my area its averaging around 90mbs.

I would say absolutely 100% cancel it and stay with Aptus if they are giving you a consistent 30-40Mbs and the upload speed it OK too. Might be worth a shot if Aptus are unreliable but other than that don't go near Imagine.

daraghwal wrote: »
    I would say absolutely 100% cancel it and stay with Aptus if they are giving you a consistent 30-40Mbs and the upload speed it OK too. Might be worth a shot if Aptus are unreliable but other than that don't go near Imagine.

The reason i am considering changing from aptus is because they called me to say they were calling out to upgrade my dish. The engineer said he wouldnt go up were the original dish is for "health and safety reasons" i asked what health and safety reasons and he said "its just health and safety" he tested the other side of my house but my neighbours tree was blocking the signal and could i cut the top off it. I informed him that trees tend to grow and im not climbing up there every time it blocks the signal. I asked him why not put it at the front of the house and he said he would call back. Havent heard from them since. The same week imagine were in the area letting people know they were in coverage so thats when i contacted them. One of my reasons for changing is if something happens that my current dish with aptus stops working im screwed because they wont go up and fix it even though they went up there 6 years ago to install it lol. Now after reading the storys about imagine i am not sure what to do. Also does any one know if the 50 euro deposit is refundable.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

The reason i am considering changing from aptus is because they called me to say they were calling out to upgrade my dish. The engineer said he wouldnt go up were the original dish is for "health and safety reasons" i asked what health and safety reasons and he said "its just health and safety" he tested the other side of my house but my neighbours tree was blocking the signal and could i cut the top off it. I informed him that trees tend to grow and im not climbing up there every time it blocks the signal. I asked him why not put it at the front of the house and he said he would call back. Havent heard from them since. The same week imagine were in the area letting people know they were in coverage so thats when i contacted them. One of my reasons for changing is if something happens that my current dish with aptus stops working im screwed because they wont go up and fix it even though they went up there 6 years ago to install it lol. Now after reading the storys about imagine i am not sure what to do. Also does any one know if the 50 euro deposit is refundable.
    I recommend you to just stay away from Imagine altogether. If the only problem you're having from Aptus is about not wanting to climb something, you're going to have 10x more headaches from Imagine. I've been with them for 2 and a half years. The last year and a half has been horrendous to say the least. They have the 20GB daily limit, a limit at 300 and if you go past that you get deprioritised and then you have 1TB for the month which again isn't great since its near impossible to reach it. They are now advertising on our road saying "Fiber now available" and they're just luring people into the 2 year contract because we're fortunate enough to be getting Fiber in May under the NBI. I know me personally I'd stick with Aptus with the consistent 30-40 instead of the "90" from Imagine which tends to be 5-10 in the evenings. I've also rang about the slow speeds and told me I'd get a call back and never hear from them. Their support is horrible. Once they see WiFi boosters plugged in they straight away blame them and just do anything to get you off the phone.

Also the fact that every positive review for them on Trustpilot is "Invited" doesn't show anything too good for them either. They also try and delete the bad reviews as well and you have to then show proof that you were a customer. Supposedly the good reviews come from them sending out an email to the customers telling them if they leave a review they have a chance of winning X item. There's no chance they have 4 stars on Trustpilot.

Wheelman2 wrote: »
    I recommend you to just stay away from Imagine altogether. If the only problem you're having from Aptus is about not wanting to climb something, you're going to have 10x more headaches from Imagine. I've been with them for 2 and a half years. The last year and a half has been horrendous to say the least. They have the 20GB daily limit, a limit at 300 and if you go past that you get deprioritised and then you have 1TB for the month which again isn't great since its near impossible to reach it. They are now advertising on our road saying "Fiber now available" and they're just luring people into the 2 year contract because we're fortunate enough to be getting Fiber in May under the NBI. I know me personally I'd stick with Aptus with the consistent 30-40 instead of the "90" from Imagine which tends to be 5-10 in the evenings. I've also rang about the slow speeds and told me I'd get a call back and never hear from them. Their support is horrible. Once they see WiFi boosters plugged in they straight away blame them and just do anything to get you off the phone.

Also the fact that every positive review for them on Trustpilot is "Invited" doesn't show anything too good for them either. They also try and delete the bad reviews as well and you have to then show proof that you were a customer. Supposedly the good reviews come from them sending out an email to the customers telling them if they leave a review they have a chance of winning X item. There's no chance they have 4 stars on Trustpilot.

Yeah ive noticed that just now on trust pilot all positive reviews are invited. Some one pointed out they are all new installs and at the start they are good but gradually become more crap as time goes on. Wish i had noticed that earlier. I will ring and cancel tomorrow. Do you know if they have to refund my deposit during the cooling off period.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,270 ✭✭✭Figerty

Yeah ive noticed that just now on trust pilot all positive reviews are invited. Some one pointed out they are all new installs and at the start they are good but gradually become more crap as time goes on. Wish i had noticed that earlier. I will ring and cancel tomorrow. Do you know if they have to refund my deposit during the cooling off period.

I have imagine for years now in Clare and it has been very reliable. Only went down for half a day last year.
    More than adequete for what I need. Fibre out side the door but I haven't made the change yet for a few other reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 Wheelman2

Not sure about the whole deposit thing. If I was you, I'd just stick with who you're with because if I was getting them constant speeds of 30-40 I know I wouldn't be moving to Imagine. They promise you everything and deliver on nothing. Exactly, all the good reviews are just about installation, none are long term users.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

I figured out a way to "schedule" game updates on my xbox so i dont have to be up until 1am to kick it off...Clunky but its worked or me..

Requirements: 1 smart plug and console software is up to date. If console software is not up to date your xbox will not go online

1) Plug xbox into smart plug and turn both on
    2) Power Mode = Instant-on in Settings > General > Power mode & start up
    3) Keep Games and Apps Up to date is OFF in Settings > System > Updates
    4) Go to My Games and Apps -> Manage -> Updates
    5) If update available set Keep Games and Apps Up to date to ON back in Settings > System > Updates
    6) Turn off xbox and smart plug
    7) using smart plug app set schedule on smart plug to be turn on plug at 1am and off at 7am
    8) Download gets updated
    9) Repeat steps 1 -3 next time you turn on xbox to ensure it doesn't automatically update during the day.

Only 1 more year until NIB gives me proper broadband.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Scruff wrote: »
    I figured out a way to "schedule" game updates on my xbox so i dont have to be up until 1am to kick it off...Clunky but its worked or me..

Requirements: 1 smart plug and console software is up to date. If console software is not up to date your xbox will not go online

5) If update available set Keep Games and Apps Up to date to ON back in Settings > System > Updates
    7) using smart plug app set schedule on smart plug to be turn on plug at 1am and off at 7am
    8) Download gets updated
    9) Repeat steps 1 -3 next time you turn on xbox to ensure it doesn't automatically update during the day.

I actually stumbled on this myself last week, seems to work well.

8) Download gets updated

LOL - literally just asked now about a similar setup for Switch downloads here
    Similar approach but was thinking of using a smart plug on the router instead

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Great minds eh? :pac: or more like desperate times...
    I had a spare smart plug sitting on my desk in front of me which inspired me to give it a try. Got caught out 1st go because i needed to update the console.
    It should work for game installs too but i havent tried it yet.
    Also not the most child friendly solution. Best not to tell them about the smart plug so you can use it as the ultimate Go To Bed/Get Off that %$&@!!! Console kill switch :D

• Advertisement

8) Download gets updated

Cool..

The alternative that I use is a 21 yr old son that doesn't go to sleep until 4am !!

OK - so I have a gargoyle router sitting after my Imagine router so I can control everything and keep an eye on my own bandwidth usage (I've also disabled WiFi on the Imagine router so WiFi also goes through my Gargoyle router)

Over on the Nintendo forum someone suggested blocking internet access via the router except from 1 to 7 so I did it yesterday and bought the Borderlands Handsome Collection yesterday (32GB in total I think).
    So it was downloaded this morning !
    Graphs of my usage here on the thread in the Nintendo forum
    I'm delighted :D
    Also - my download speeds are fine this morning (Over 80) so all is good in the world :D
    I'll try the same with my XBox today also and get Doom Eternal on Games Pass tonight (Hopefully).

I see you can also restrict access based on Mac in the Imagine Router so I assume that would be fine also

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

I started a download of a game on Xbox last night, powered down using smart plug and had the plug powering up at 1 am but nothing downloaded overnight. Going to try again tonight in case it didn't power on as scheduled/

I've had Imagine for several years , but they have been telling people locally that the Service is at capacity and they couldn't add any more customers - My next door neighbour had been in contact with them just before Christmas most recently.

They've just put up some new posters on various Telegraph poles along my road in the last week announcing that the Service was available and to call to get connected.

Then today I get this text from them.
    Hi, Imagine have been upgrading our national 5G ready network. This included new sites and configuration. As part of these works your service has now fallen below acceptable metrics. An engineer must visit your premises to carry out essential works to optimise your service. Please expect a call from XXXXXXXX to arrange your appointment or please call us on XXXXXXXX . Thanks Imagine

Now, on the highlighted bit - My service has been more stable and reliable over the last 6-8 weeks than it has in the last year at least.

I'm deeply suspicious of the underlying motive here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    I've had Imagine for several years , but they have been telling people locally that the Service is at capacity and they couldn't add any more customers - My next door neighbour had been in contact with them just before Christmas most recently.

They've just put up some new posters on various Telegraph poles along my road in the last week announcing that the Service was available and to call to get connected.

Then today I get this text from them.

Now, on the highlighted bit - My service has been more stable and reliable over the last 6-8 weeks than it has in the last year at least.

I'm deeply suspicious of the underlying motive here.

I think a subject access request might be in order here to see those phantom metrics.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

This is what you’re dealing with. I responded to them saying there is somthing you can do...you could not oversell them mast and therefore have more wiggle room for peak hour usuals!
    Imagine response on my case with Comreg.
    He took a point in time and done a long test and saw no packet loss as well as good speeds. Ignoring the fact that my complaints states the dropped packets happen randomly through the day...they are not frequent but enough for work vpn connections to occasionally drop during the day.

“ I had a look at your account and I ran some tests. Your signal strength is currently at 98% received, we accept 95% as an acceptable pass rate. Your signal integrity is quite strong, there are some fluctuations, but nothing that would correspond with your described issue, as the signal doesn't drop below the threshold floor, this means that the signal is not being affected by external interference or line of sight issues. All of this ruled out any external factors as being the root cause of your problem

Next I turned my attention to your router and I accessed it remotely. I pinged your router and I got zero packet loss, this means that your router was responsive and that network congestion was not a factor. I then ran a speed test, I received quite good results an upload speed of 1.57Mbps and a download of 32.1Mbps, well within acceptable speeds. I could also see that the wifi output rate on your router was strong.

I ran a test examining the usage on your highsite, Towercom Cappagh. That highsite is very busy and is running at 99.2% capacity at peak times, meaning that almost every user is online at the same time. This follows through into the speeds that customers are experiencing at these times. The average speed is falling to 5-6 Mbps, your speeds are in line with the average. This means that you are being affected by this overakll high usage. Unfortunately there is nothing we can do to rectify this. However we anticipate that when the current lockdown ends, the network usage will lessen and the overall end user experience will improve. That means that there is no current issue with the service being delivered, no technical issues were detected.

I would recommend that you connect a laptop directly to the router using an ethernet cable, disable the wifi on the laptop and run a speedtest using www.speedtest.net, note the results. Then wait approximately 5 minutes, disconnect the laptop from the router, reactivate the wifi and run the test again. This is the best way to discover if there is anything internal interfering with the network signal in your premises. Also in this link you will find some tips on increasing the efficency of your home network
    https://www.imagine.ie/speed-up-your-home/”

dam099 wrote: »
    I think a subject access request might be in order here to see those phantom metrics.

So - I rang them and the initial story was that "they had reports from several users in the area about performance issues" and wanted to review options.

I then got a call from the Service scheduling team and the story got a little clearer.

They have put in a new "high site" near me and are looking to move people off the existing one and on to the new site.

The existing high site was overloaded and suffering contention particularly in the evening(like I knew) and they've now established a new site and are clearly looking to load balance rather than there being anything specifically "below standard" with my connection.

Now in my case ,I need to get confirmation of the exact Vodafone mast they are using for their antenna, but I'm 90%+ certain which one it is and I can't connect to that new site as there's a hill in the way.

But , if they offload a bunch of people to this new site I should see some benefit anyway , at least in the short term until they load it up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tomoxx123456

8) Download gets updated

Ill do the Same for PS4 should work for Sony Also

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Tomoxx123456

Ill do the Same for PS4 should work for Sony Also

I Got an Asus Mesh System and had IB Put the Router into Bridge Mode.
    Set up the Mesh all seem to go well but no connection to Internet.
    "Your ISP DHCP does not function Correctly"
    the ASUS Router gets all the Setting correctly IP, Gate Way, DNS all good.
    but no matter what setting i change i Cannot get it to Work
    Anyone Have this issue and where you able to resolve it ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

Is imagine down for anyone else in cork?

Advertisement