Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Conchurl wrote: »
    Is imagine down for anyone else in cork?

Yip. Just tried to do some work and noticed it was gone. White church mast

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭bennyineire

It's down here in North Offaly, also I can see in downdetector a huge number of people have reported it down.

https://downdetector.ie/status/imagine/

• Registered Users Posts: 837 ✭✭✭False Prophet

yep seems to be down across the country since 8am, guess someone forgot to top up the meter

• Registered Users Posts: 48 shane14

Just back for me in East Clare, had been down since 8.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

shane14 wrote: »
    Just back for me in East Clare, had been down since 8.

No issues for me here so far today , connected to Maghera in Clare.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭_Puma_

DNS outage with Vodafone was the root cause again. Their mobile network was patchy last night also.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

_Puma_ wrote: »
    DNS outage with Vodafone was the root cause again. Their mobile network was patchy last night also.

So would the fact that I'm using my own router and not using the Imagine DNS Servers (I'm using Cloudflare) explain why I saw no issues today but it seems other nearby were out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Quin_Dub wrote: »
    So would the fact that I'm using my own router and not using the Imagine DNS Servers (I'm using Cloudflare) explain why I saw no issues today but it seems other nearby were out?

Yep

• Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Exactly. Someone at imagine had to flush their gateways DNS this morning. If it occurs again and you have access to their router just update its primary DNS to another (8.8.8.8 for Google) but be sure to set it back after if you don't know what your at.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,132 ✭✭✭dashoonage

One does not simply use their ISP's DNS servers.

• Advertisement

So - I rang them and the initial story was that "they had reports from several users in the area about performance issues" and wanted to review options.

I then got a call from the Service scheduling team and the story got a little clearer.

They have put in a new "high site" near me and are looking to move people off the existing one and on to the new site.

The existing high site was overloaded and suffering contention particularly in the evening(like I knew) and they've now established a new site and are clearly looking to load balance rather than there being anything specifically "below standard" with my connection.

Now in my case ,I need to get confirmation of the exact Vodafone mast they are using for their antenna, but I'm 90%+ certain which one it is and I can't connect to that new site as there's a hill in the way.

But , if they offload a bunch of people to this new site I should see some benefit anyway , at least in the short term until they load it up again.

They came out to me,tested for signal on a new alternative site,it wasn't a fraction of the one I am on so left me be
    Took 20 minutes
    That was last summer
    I got the same contact prior as ye are saying
    Havent heard from them since

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,111 ✭✭✭dam099

_Puma_ wrote: »

For Imagine, do they use Vodafone DNS servers?

The Imagine engineers came out today and were in fact able to get signal from their new site.

Based on the tests done from both sites I decided to allow them to move me to the new Antenna.

My Download speeds are still roughly where they were - For this time of day I'm getting ~90mb/s down , however there has been a massive improvement in my upload performance.

Previously ,regardless of my d/l speed I was only getting 2-3Mb/s at best for uploads and on extremely rare occasions I might see 5-6Mb/s in the very early morning.

Not though I am seeing solid 15Mb/s upload which is a huge change for me.

They also "locked" my equipment to the new Antenna to stop it scanning for other connections.

I was seeing an issue where at least once an hour my network would go offline for a split second and then reconnect resulting in me dropping any active Zoom/Teams calls etc.

The Engineers reckoned this was because there are 5 or 6 Masts that are technically in range for me but only one (now two with the new location) that was actually capable of a proper connection. My kit was scanning all the time and would repeatedly try to connect to the other locations, fail and then reconnect to the original one, leading to the dropped connections.

Hopefully the change they've made will help with stability.

I plan to monitor the performance closely for the next month or so to see how things settled down.

Obviously I'm in a bit of a honeymoon period with the new mast as it probably isn't heavily loaded just yet , but we'll see how it goes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

The Engineers reckoned this was because there are 5 or 6 Masts that are technically in range for me but only one (now two with the new location) that was actually capable of a proper connection. My kit was scanning all the time and would repeatedly try to connect to the other locations, fail and then reconnect to the original one, leading to the dropped connections.

Hopefully the change they've made will help with stability.

I've been having a similar issue where I lose connection periodically, maybe for several minutes, before coming back. It's does sound like this could be behind it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

The Imagine engineers came out today and were in fact able to get signal from their new site.
    Were you charged/locked into a new contract for the "upgrade" ?

Scruff wrote: »
    Were you charged/locked into a new contract for the "upgrade" ?

No - No charge for the onsite and no new contract.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,019 ✭✭✭DenMan

It's down here in Sligo too and I'm just back from work. Not happy! Called support and they're finished for the day and got through to a guy in sales. He didn't know of any outages at all in the country and said it must be a small local issue. I'll try again tomorrow. Has anybody spoken to their customer service today?

deadl0ck wrote: »
    OK - so I have a gargoyle router sitting after my Imagine router so I can control everything and keep an eye on my own bandwidth usage (I've also disabled WiFi on the Imagine router so WiFi also goes through my Gargoyle router)

Over on the Nintendo forum someone suggested blocking internet access via the router except from 1 to 7 so I did it yesterday and bought the Borderlands Handsome Collection yesterday (32GB in total I think).
    So it was downloaded this morning !
    Graphs of my usage here on the thread in the Nintendo forum
    I'm delighted :D
    Also - my download speeds are fine this morning (Over 80) so all is good in the world :D
    I'll try the same with my XBox today also and get Doom Eternal on Games Pass tonight (Hopefully).

I see you can also restrict access based on Mac in the Imagine Router so I assume that would be fine also

This worked for me, blocking the xbox except between 0100 and 0700. Downloaded 2 games and an update for another last night completely off peak.

mossie wrote: »
    This worked for me, blocking the xbox except between 0100 and 0700. Downloaded 2 games and an update for another last night completely off peak.

Has your service been restored? Mine hasn't and I'm going to work soon. I'll call their customer service in the afternoon. Hopefully it'll be back today as I really need it.

DenMan wrote: »
    Has your service been restored? Mine hasn't and I'm going to work soon. I'll call their customer service in the afternoon. Hopefully it'll be back today as I really need it.

Mine wasn't down at all, or at least I didn't notice if it was. Where are you located?

• Advertisement

mossie wrote: »
    Mine wasn't down at all, or at least I didn't notice if it was. Where are you located?

Was down for a few days. Spoke to tech this morning and I'm back up and running. Based in Sligo.

kicked off a load of game updates last night at 1am but it looks like they didnt complete when the smartplug powered off the xbox at 7am...
    They started downloading again when kids turned on the xbox today...30GB downloaded before i noticed that internet had gone to ****e.
    Getting less than 2Mbps since.

Sooooooooo cant wait to be rid of this shower...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

Using the router is a better option as it just stops it at 7 - and then you reenable it when you want

it stopped at 7, it just restarted again when the xbox was turned on to play online games, which will happen with the router option too if there are updates in the queue when you enable online too.
    As i said in my original post: not too kid friendly. neither is.

it stopped at 7, it just restarted again when the xbox was turned on to play online games, which will happen with the router option too if there are updates in the queue when you enable online too.

Seems a massive oversight.

You'd think it would be such a simple update for Microsoft to enable scheduled updates. I mean you can do it in Windows 10.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,187 ✭✭✭deadl0ck

No - the online games will screw it up alright, it's workable, but not kid friendly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

Yet another text from them yesterday evening saying they are performing over the air updates between 7am and 10am this morning.
    It’s nearly every second bloody week and the fact that’s it such short notice and during work hours is infuriating.
    They are a complete bunch of amateur $£¥^^*_$£.
    Trying to work online and getting frequent dropped connections this morning.

rodge123 wrote: »
    Yet another text from them yesterday evening saying they are performing over the air updates between 7am and 10am this morning.
    It’s nearly every second bloody week and the fact that’s it such short notice and during work hours is infuriating.
    They are a complete bunch of amateur $£¥^^*_$£.
    Trying to work online and getting frequent dropped connections this morning.

My connection drops around 10pm every evening, offline for 5 to 10 minutes. Imagine say there's no problem and must be at my end. All devices are affected whether wired or wireless.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Anyone know how to get better stability out of the connection? Is there better settings for the modem?

My son plays online games and is constantly lagging and getting removed from online games for connection not being stable. I have called their tech support team but you may aswell talk to the wall when you are looking for assistance from them. I just get "Your connection is fine we dont see any issue"

During the day we get 200mb down and about 3mb up

At night it is 7mb down and 1mb up. I thought this would still be enough for him to play online. I am not sure if it is ping or latency or whatever but I was given the log in details of the router so wondering is there anything that should be updated?

• Advertisement

AH2016 wrote: »
    Anyone know how to get better stability out of the connection? Is there better settings for the modem?

My son plays online games and is constantly lagging and getting removed from online games for connection not being stable. I have called their tech support team but you may aswell talk to the wall when you are looking for assistance from them. I just get "Your connection is fine we dont see any issue"

During the day we get 200mb down and about 3mb up

At night it is 7mb down and 1mb up. I thought this would still be enough for him to play online. I am not sure if it is ping or latency or whatever but I was given the log in details of the router so wondering is there anything that should be updated?

That drop in performance morning to evening is all about contention.

They have too many people signed up in your area and when they are all online in the evening your "share" of the connection is massively reduced.

The constant disconnects might be linked to a problem that I had, which seems to be resolved.

See my earlier post here

Advertisement