Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

KOR101 wrote: »
    The point is that if Imagine has no NBP future, they will just milk their existing infrastructure and the 30 mbit guarantee will go out the window.

Where did you get that idea? Surely Imagine would have to compete to be successful? They cannot just slink into a corner and disappear over time. By the time NBP come to the majority of rural people, they could have 2/3/5 years of Imagines service, which would bring them from the measly 1-3-5 mbps they currently have to 50+ mbps.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Here is my speed tests. I'll try to do more during peak (1700-2200), but as you can see, bandwidth clearly suffers around peak. Strange with "no contention" according to Imagine.
    Anyway, speeds obviously vary quite a bit, but still ahead of my only alternative.
    (12mb line which would drop to ~8-6 during peak)

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=b99aaca888aa416355a3f2fbb0cc7863&ria=0

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, assumed that was a non runner.

Lazy with the google fu at this time of night:

If thats their ethos they shouldnt really be picky whether licence holders deploy FDD or TDD as long as required guard zones are left.

What I don't get is Imagine pushing for this on such a huge gamble. They must know more than we do or its hard to think they've have received the funding to push ahead.

Hardly have the cash for a deployment so they had to raise capital externally.

The gamble was extraordinary. Especially with the suing of Motorola over wimax not delivering. That's coming up this year isn't it? If they lose that they will be in very poor shape.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

ED E wrote: »
    Yeah, assumed that was a non runner.

Lazy with the google fu at this time of night:

If thats their ethos they shouldnt really be picky whether licence holders deploy FDD or TDD as long as required guard zones are left.

What I don't get is Imagine pushing for this on such a huge gamble. They must know more than we do or its hard to think they've have received the funding to push ahead.

Hardly have the cash for a deployment so they had to raise capital externally.

€50M from a French international infrastructure fund.

http://www.independent.ie/business/technology/news/imagine-to-start-rollout-of-200m-fast-broadband-system-in-2016-34297484.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    Here is my speed tests. I'll try to do more during peak (1700-2200), but as you can see, bandwidth clearly suffers around peak. Strange with "no contention" according to Imagine.
    Anyway, speeds obviously vary quite a bit, but still ahead of my only alternative.

I don't know if it means much, but when I was on the phone to Imagine earlier today, the rep I was speaking to said if it consistently drops below 30 without going over your 20GB limit (he said speeds would drop to about 2mb if you go over the limit), then you should contact them straight away.

For me it's still a good alternative to eir (3mb max) until they get fibre out my way. I will definitely be monitoring it and wrecking Imagine's heads if I get results like this :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Wing126 wrote: »
    I don't know if it means much, but when I was on the phone to Imagine earlier today, the rep I was speaking to said if it consistently drops below 30 without going over your 20GB limit (he said speeds would drop to about 2mb if you go over the limit), then you should contact them straight away.

For me it's still a good alternative to eir (3mb max) until they get fibre out my way. I will definitely be monitoring it and wrecking Imagine's heads if I get results like this :pac:

I live in Calverstown co Kildare and signs appeared overnight telling us their wireless fibre broadband was in the area , 30 mbs minimum ! Mana from heaven
    I have regional bb at the moment, struggling to get ANY reception after 9pm
    Signed up yesterday , will be going live end of August

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Ruffty^ wrote: »

I see I'm not the only one getting under 30M in the evenings.
    Keep up the speed tests. It's the only way to have anything solid when they come up with excuses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Just on the note of early sing up prior to mast activation. Don't do it if you live farther from the mast. That's my experience.

I'm 23km from Abbeknockmoy mast in Co.Galway and was told month ago that I'll be covered no problem once the mast will go live. Consultant was very eager to get a 100e of me and sign me up. I decided to wait and didn't pay. It turned out to be a good decision because I've got a call from Imagine few days after mast activation and they told me that I'm not covered any more. They also said that techs are back on the road again testing coverage and will get back to me once the tests are done.

As for their license expiring in 12 months. Voda have bumped their subscriptions from 35e to 40e/month and I'm getting only 3mb speeds. So I'd be delighted having speeds above 30mb even for 12months.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coffeeJohn92

I've signed up for Imagine broadband, but reading this thread the past couple of weeks has made me wonder would it be worth it. I'm currently on a 6-7mb/s line from Eir.
    If I could get speeds of 30mb/s plus from Imagine that would be amazing and well worth the money considering there's no other option atm, but would I get it and how long will it stay good?

There's a cabinet due to go live in September/October, about 1100-1200m from my house. Ireland Offline site says I would get 18mb/s at that range but have no idea how accurate that is.

Should I stick with what I've got till then or go with Imagine till the FTTH rollout happens in my area?

If anyone could help me on this please it would be great.

Cheers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

I've signed up for Imagine broadband, but reading this thread the past couple of weeks has made me wonder would it be worth it. I'm currently on a 6-7mb/s line from Eir.
    If I could get speeds of 30mb/s plus from Imagine that would be amazing and well worth the money considering there's no other option atm, but would I get it and how long will it stay good?

There's a cabinet due to go live in September/October, about 1100-1200m from my house. Ireland Offline site says I would get 18mb/s at that range but have no idea how accurate that is.

Should I stick with what I've got till then or go with Imagine till the FTTH rollout happens in my area?

If anyone could help me on this please it would be great.

Cheers
    well 18mb is a good speed I would say wait till your cabinet go live and see what speed you get then decide whether to go with LTE.

• Advertisement

"Magic wrote:
    =);100266656"]Just on the note of early sing up prior to mast activation. Don't do it if you live farther from the mast. That's my experience.

I'm 23km from Abbeknockmoy mast in Co.Galway and was told month ago that I'll be covered no problem once the mast will go live. Consultant was very eager to get a 100e of me and sign me up. I decided to wait and didn't pay. It turned out to be a good decision because I've got a call from Imagine few days after mast activation and they told me that I'm not covered any more. They also said that techs are back on the road again testing coverage and will get back to me once the tests are done.

As for their license expiring in 12 months. Voda have bumped their subscriptions from 35e to 40e/month and I'm getting only 3mb speeds. So I'd be delighted having speeds above 30mb even for 12months.

So you ended up being told you were out of coverage when the site came live?

I'm around 26/27 km from the mast that I'm told I'll be connected to. By the sounds of this I'll be out of coverage when it actually goes live.

• Registered Users Posts: 25 AyJay

So you ended up being told you were out of coverage when the site came live?

I'm around 26/27 km from the mast that I'm told I'll be connected to. By the sounds of this I'll be out of coverage when it actually goes live.

@Wing126 - Their website says you have to be within 13Km. Doesn't sound promising for you I'm afraid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

I am connected and just over 18km from mast.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coffeeJohn92

rob808 wrote: »
    well 18mb is a good speed I would say wait till your cabinet go live and see what speed you get then decide whether to go with LTE.

18mb would be very good but I'm not sure if we can get it once that cab goes live.

If this Imagine service provides a stable 30mb+ I would be very happy with that. Some that live in citys might laugh at 30mb but for where I live and how bad our nets been for years, this would be very good for us.

Now if Imagine are a train wreck waiting to happen then I would stay away.

But is the broadband they provide worth the price when you compare it to a 6-7mb fixed line?

If you sign up with them and get connected, then 2/3 months down the line they overcrowd the mast and end up getting 5mb say, do you have any way to get out of the contract?

18 month contract. 100E to get out early.

But like any contract, if the service is gone to absolute muck you could probably argue your way out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

18mb would be very good but I'm not sure if we can get it once that cab goes live.

If this Imagine service provides a stable 30mb+ I would be very happy with that. Some that live in citys might laugh at 30mb but for where I live and how bad our nets been for years, this would be very good for us.

Some speed test histories from people active in this thread:
    Morgana
    Ruffty
    Chef-1st

Also Editorsan has provided a very concise summary of his take on taking up Imagine here
    But is the broadband they provide worth the price when you compare it to a 6-7mb fixed line?

If you sign up with them and get connected, then 2/3 months down the line they overcrowd the mast and end up getting 5mb say, do you have any way to get out of the contract?

My experience with Imagine has been extremely positive, I've been with them since end of February and there is no comparison to the BB I had before. Other people have had more problems, some just reported back their successful install (presumably they are happy, lol).
    As Bweeng is one of the two first masts going live, I would presume it is at or close to its subscriber complement. I have not noticed any decreased service level, my speeds are as good if not better as after my antenna got replaced (faulty).
    Regarding the regulatory & NBP situation, even if it is a stop-gap measure, (I am still in the amber area of the NBP map), you are still talking about a few years at best and who knows what will be available then.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,898 ✭✭✭KOR101

Wait a few weeks anyway. Presumably Imagine are today considering their response to being left out. If there is no word from them in the next two weeks, then assume they accept being left out. If they do fight it legally, then they must maintain speeds until the case is decided which could take a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

'Magic wrote:
    =);100266656']Just on the note of early sing up prior to mast activation. Don't do it if you live farther from the mast. That's my experience.

AyJay wrote: »
    @Wing126 - Their website says you have to be within 13Km. Doesn't sound promising for you I'm afraid.
    leex wrote: »
    I am connected and just over 18km from mast.

They've signs up in Newport, Co. Tipp and Murroe, Co. Limk showing it's available and it does seem so from their coverage map.

I've just drawn a line from Woodcock Hill to both towns and they are 20KM and 22KM respectively, but they are on the edge of the coverage area.

I thought I saw somewhere that LTE could do 30KM, but can't remember where.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I thought I saw somewhere that LTE could do 30KM, but can't remember where.

COMREG have them as 20KM usable and 30KM interference radius.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,114 ✭✭✭user1842

I have a question on the price: it's 59.99 for unlimited local and national calls but then it says that all calls are charged a call set-up fee of 15.38c?

Do all calls mean the ones also included in your bundle. Can anyone confirm?

This would be a deal breaker for my parents.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

All national calls are included up to one hour duration for landlines (if you talk longer than one hour just redial). Charges apply to premium rate, mobile, 1850 etc. numbers. The rates were linked somewhere in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 983 ✭✭✭AidenL

Now if Imagine are a train wreck waiting to happen then I would stay away.

Im in the same boat - have a cabinet 1.5km away, live since Christmas, but they haven't vectored it, and wont, so I wont get fibre ever.

The Imagine option suits those of us in rural areas who have just been unlucky.

I'm on a blue line, but I'll believe Im getting 1000 megs down when it happens ! In 2022 or so......

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

I have been giving imagine last week to give them benefit of the doubt but this has now gone beyond a joke. In fairness they ring most days asking me to run speed tests but no fix in sight. They said today the mast issues have been rectified but that me and two other users still getting poor speeds.
    This is an example of one of the highest speeds I have got tonight.
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/a/2046848544
    This test was done on my handset but most tests are done hard wired to my laptop.

My worry is if this mast is only live less than a fortnight how bad is this going to get in few months

irishchris wrote: »
    My worry is if this mast is only live less than a fortnight how bad is this going to get in few months

It'll be fine in a few months, sure there's no contention!! :rolleyes:

I'm not saying it's your issue, but speed tests on my android tablet were crap. I wouldn't trust a phone.

You'll just have to keep at them chris. Have you cancelled your other service? Or what was it again
    You could try and turn the screw with imagine, I have x days left of my 14days cooling off and I'm gone..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

On previous posts on here as many of you know i tried to get imagine LTE but unfortunately couldn't get more then 15mb so they wouldn't install, im with Permanet at moment, was getting 1/3 mb for a long time, always got from permanet its contention in evenings so couldn't be helped, so i rang permanet after the let down of imagine to give out again and they said we will send a engineer round, first time this was ever suggested, after the visit on wired connection now 8/10mb, wireless 5/8 mb anytime of day, don't know what he done to get these speeds, i was at work,what could he have done after all this time of bad speeds, to get these speeds? i know its not imagine LTE speeds but this is the best speeds ive ever had on this service and it makes a big difference, ( ps, did not change modem).

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

It'll be fine in a few months, sure there's no contention!! :rolleyes:

Baaaa haaaaa, no contention!

Look, fair dues that they brought out something new. But STOP with the LIES!

They should have forgotten about this silly NBP play of 30M minimum (which is totally at odds with the actual contention model) and just put a rate limit of 30M max on everyone, be honest and say it will do 10-30M depending on how busy it is, price that at say €45/month. It would have been a more HONEST way of contending a 100M sector and people would not have been lied to.

It's like Wimax all over again, where the marketing folks drove the rollout and the sales parameters of the package. The tech people must've been like NOOOO - it can't deliver what you are selling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

I have been giving imagine last week to give them benefit of the doubt but this has now gone beyond a joke. In fairness they ring most days asking me to run speed tests but no fix in sight. They said today the mast issues have been rectified but that me and two other users still getting poor speeds.
    This test was done on my handset but most tests are done hard wired to my laptop.

Have they said if any users connected to Abbeyknockmoy are getting good speeds? I'm due to be connected in the next week or so. Am away at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

Have they said if any users connected to Abbeyknockmoy are getting good speeds? I'm due to be connected in the next week or so. Am away at the moment.

• Advertisement

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Baaaa haaaaa, no contention!

Look, fair dues that they brought out something new. But STOP with the LIES!

I'm aware it's just a marketing lie, I was havin' a bit of a joke! :pac:

I'm still gonna give them a go for the 14 days when it eventually goes live, but I know to expect contention.

Advertisement