Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Would anyone know what the coverage is like with Imagine in Quin Village in County Clare?

Im asking for a friend as although there is a 'part fibre' service there, the speeds seem to be pretty low.

I was a customer of Imagine in Limerick and had great service for the 4 odd years I used them but had no other choice there myself and don't want to recommend the service if its worse than the connection they have.

Post edited by amadablam on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Imagine vans and advertising all over the place in North Galway at the minute. Even local County Councilors promoting them on Facebook.

We are unfortunately stuck in an area that is "premises pending survey" with zero info on when it will be complete.

If this thing about 150 max people sign up, my estate is going to likely take up at least half that as the speeds on DSL/VDSL are **** here. 7-13Mb for most.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

I'd stay on what you are on. I currently get 2Mb and wouldn't think of switching to Imagine.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

They only have Fibre to the Cabinet in Quin so once you are outside the immediate 0.5km to 1Km range from the top of the village where the cabinet is , the speed drops away dramatically.

I'm near Quin (about 3km away) and have been using Imagine for a few years now.

There are 2 masts available to Quin - Maghera and another one closer to Newmarket on Fergus near Fenloe which is brand new , only went live a few months ago.

The new mast is why Imagine started putting up posters around the area again.

I used to be connected to the Maghera mast and it was extremely congested and the speeds were massively variable - I could get 180Mb/s first thing in the morning but then struggle to get 1Mb/s at 8 or 9pm. The other issue was very low upload speed even when getting 180Mb down I'd only be getting 2-3Mb/s up.

I got moved to the new mast a few months back and whilst the top end speed is lower (now get a max of about 80Mb/s) so far it has been extremely stable. On average the speeds I'm getting are 50Mb/s down and 15Mb/s up with very little variability through the day.

The absolute worst I've seen is around 25Mb/s down and 5Mb/s up so it's always at least usable.

Depending on where exactly your friend is they may have line of sight to the new mast , but I'd avoid it if the connection is to Maghera.

If they do the site speed test early in the day , Maghera will look great as you'll probably see really high speeds , but the congestion on that site means that later in the day you get absolutely hammered.

As always though with Imagine if they oversell the new mast (which they have a habit of doing) , things will decline but for now at least the service is pretty decent.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,521 ✭✭✭joe123

Is that due to bad experience or from reading this thread?

Im always conscious of the fact, folk who run into issues/bad experience will go to forums where those with a good experience dont tend to bother so perspective can be skewed.

If a mast is considered fully subscribed at 150 people, what should a person expect speeds to be during the day? Do Imagine still over subscribe or is that a thing of the past now?

If I could get speeds of 80+ up and 10 down that would tied me over until NBI get their act together.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 73 ✭✭Gav_96

one of my neighbours has already cancelled. don't know what to think of that. doesn't seem good as only a new mast. was debating going with them for the time being.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭xxyyzz

Best ask them, it really does depend on your mast. I've been with them for 2 years and have had no issues for about 95% of the time. Two of us have been working remotely using it with no problems. There's lots of horror stories on this thread but it's the internet. People only post the bad stuff.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Thanks very much for your post and all the information Quin_Dub.

The property is just outside of the village, maybe a kilometer, on the road heading back towards Dromoland interchange. Is that the side the cabinet is on?

The speed they are getting are pretty low at times but from reading your experience, it might be worth speaking to Imagine if getting on less congested mast was a possibility

Although if the masts are servicing the wider areas out towards Cratloe, Sixmilebridge, they might get over subscribed over time.

Such a pity ftth isn't available there get though as choice is very limited as it stands.

I definitely had great speeds with Imagine in Limerick and I was on the Woodcock connection I think.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,812 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

The Cabinet is actually on that road , just opposite the entrance to the Manor View estate , so they are reasonably close to it.

Given where they are , they should be able to connect to the new mast so it may be worth getting Imagine out for a site visit , but definitely avoid the Maghera connection - It's far away (18KM or so) and as it's one of their older masts it's pretty much fully loaded all the time.

Where I am is covered by the National Broadband plan and according to the information the area is due to go live in the 2nd half of next year , the site says "July-Dec 2022" for my location and to be fair I did see guys out doing site assessments on my road last week in a van with NBI logos , so at least they are making progress.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,787 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Anyone with connectivity issues? Mine started playing up 20mins ago in Gorey

Mine seems to be down this evening in Tralee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

Mine gone now last 20 mins, Cappagh north kildare mast. Anyone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭starlady1

I am thinking of sigining up with Imagine Broadband. Anyone here with Imagine Broadband have concrete floors in their house? I am wondering is their signal strong enough to carry through concrete floors. The rep says it is but with my current provider I needed a second router. Imagine are refusing to provide one and said one router is enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,756 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

Just use any second router you have, set to work as access point.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 BobC88

Well lads..

We built & moved in before Christmas, airtight house so obviously a couple of questions here regarding setup.

We’ve been getting by on our Eir DSL connection, getting about 6 or 7 Mbps at the best of times. Every inch of the house is covered with Ubiquity Unifi access points, so getting 100% of whatever speed coming into the house, everywhere.

I signed up with Imagine last week, haven’t heard anything from them & I’m waiting on the install. Problem I foresee now is these lads are probably gonna want to drill holes into the house & probably not want to entertain getting the router into the comms room.

If they won’t play ball with the Cat6 I already have, which I can run to wherever they want, would I be best cancelling & hanging on for the NBP? Price is also double what I’m paying currently.

Thank you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,036 ✭✭✭BArra

whats the projected date for NBI? the risk with most wireless providers and imagine is no different is the contention during 'peak' hours, when this happens your 6/7mb DSL would likely be better

the unit they would install on roof would have POE so just needs ethernet cable hooked in, so if you have this in place already it would just need to be available on your roof to plug into the antenna

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

They had no problem putting the router where I asked them. I just had to run their CAT 6 through my attic as they wouldn't go in there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭trant

Anyone else down in South Dublin/Kildare today? Offline here since about 11am.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Does anyone have a handy solution for scheduling downloads in Firefox / Chrome? I already have Steam etc that have built in schedules / limits configured but I need to download some stuff thru a browser between 1 and 7.

I tell ye, Imagine knew what they were doing when they set off peak to these times, absolute pain to stay up and kick stuff off when you've work in the morning!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,598 ✭✭✭wassie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Hi.

I made a huge error earlier when in the settings of my imagine router, I disabled DHCP and WiFi and now I cannot access the internet at all, presumably because my devices can't get an IP address. How can I get around this?

Post edited by mossie on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 730 ✭✭✭Dero

Assuming you have a PC/laptop and an Ethernet cable, you could set a static IP address on it in the same range as the router and connect it directly. That should allow you to load the router config page and re-enable DHCP & WiFi.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,214 ✭✭✭mossie

Thanks. I tried this without success, in the end I had to call Imagine and they reset from their end.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭rodge123

The usual rubbish from them this morning.

“Hi, as we continue to optimise and improve your 5G ready broadband experience, engineers will be conducting OTA (over the air) software, firmware and optimization updates to your local broadband service on Monday 4th of October between 09:00 and 17:00. Although unlikely, these updates may affect your broadband connection temporarily during this time - thanks, imagine.”

There is nothing unlikely about it, nearly every single time they do this it results in a very dodgy service for a number of hours.

it’s completely unusable the last hour and impossible to get my work done.

Why on earth it is done during office hours is beyond me, surely it could be done remotely before people are online working from home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Conchurl

I didn't get that text but mine is down in cork and was trying to figure out what was wrong wasted about 30 minutes checking different things

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 389 ✭✭Tommy Lagahan

Looks like their DNS has up and keeled over.

Down for the past 2 1/2 hours there til I decided to start screwing with settings rather than just rebooting the modem.

On the plus side whatever was causing strict NAT when I put the DNS in manually on the router I'm bridging to has fixed itself 🤷‍♀️

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Currently feels like a throwback to the 1990 dial-up land - a webpage takes ** minutes ** to load.

• Advertisement

Web pages are loading fine for me right now

They have been sluggish at times before but not at the moment

Current speed is around 70 to 80 mark Barrackcroghan mast north wexford

Advertisement