Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Wing126 wrote: »
    I'm aware it's just a marketing lie, I was havin' a bit of a joke! :pac:

I'm still gonna give them a go for the 14 days when it eventually goes live, but I know to expect contention.

Yeah Wing, I got the sarcasm :)

Those poor salespeople.....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    On previous posts on here as many of you know i tried to get imagine LTE but unfortunately couldn't get more then 15mb so they wouldn't install, im with Permanet at moment, was getting 1/3 mb for a long time, always got from permanet its contention in evenings so couldn't be helped, so i rang permanet after the let down of imagine to give out again and they said we will send a engineer round, first time this was ever suggested, after the visit on wired connection now 8/10mb, wireless 5/8 mb anytime of day, don't know what he done to get these speeds, i was at work,what could he have done after all this time of bad speeds, to get these speeds? i know its not imagine LTE speeds but this is the best speeds ive ever had on this service and it makes a big difference, ( ps, did not change modem).

I'm on 3 down, 1 up FWA.

There was a time I was getting shockingly bad speeds at any time of the day, caused by packet loss, when anything was uploaded ... even something small like a 100KB document would cause at least 2 packets to be lost (I have PingPlotter running - doing a ping every 2.5 seconds).

If I wasn't uploading, things would be fine and dandy, but if I had taken a photo on my phone, when it connected to the WiFi it would try to sync to the cloud and crucify my connection until the photo went up. I eventually set photo synching to only occur during sleepytime (3am :rolleyes:).

CS tried a few things but nothing worked. So they sent out an engineer and over the period of 1-2 hours, finally found a Sector and Polarity setting on the mast that worked for me.

Now, I've limited Google Drive and DropBox to only 16Kbps uploads (as these tend to murder wireless connections), but other than that it works fine.

CS probably have a limited range of troubleshooting available to them. When you have the engineer with you, that can make a big difference.

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    I'm on 3 down, 1 up FWA.

There was a time I was getting shockingly bad speeds at any time of the day, caused by packet loss, when anything was uploaded ... even something small like a 100KB document would cause at least 2 packets to be lost (I have PingPlotter running - doing a ping every 2.5 seconds).

If I wasn't uploading, things would be fine and dandy, but if I had taken a photo on my phone, when it connected to the WiFi it would try to sync to the cloud and crucify my connection until the photo went up. I eventually set photo synching to only occur during sleepytime (3am :rolleyes:).

CS tried a few things but nothing worked. So they sent out an engineer and over the period of 1-2 hours, finally found a Sector and Polarity setting on the mast that worked for me.

Now, I've limited Google Drive and DropBox to only 16Kbps uploads (as these tend to murder wireless connections), but other than that it works fine.

CS probably have a limited range of troubleshooting available to them. When you have the engineer with you, that can make a big difference.

Wow, that sounds bad. I think what people want is for to be able to have broadband that "just works", where they never have to think about it. Broadband Sorted. Now there's a product......

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Wow, that sounds bad. I think what people want is for to be able to have broadband that "just works", where they never have to think about it. Broadband Sorted. Now there's a product......

I know. I'm a network nerd myself (nowhere near your level though) and because I have had some CS experience myself, I know how to log a call and deal with the guys at the other end of the line.

I can tell you most people in my area think our WISP is terrible. I try to coach them on how to deal with the CS, but I guess when their kids are screaming they can't stream Bosco or Wanderly Wagon (and I await the millenials going to google just WTF I'm talking about ... :P) they get frustrated too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 212 ✭✭Magic ]=)

Wing126 wrote: »
    So you ended up being told you were out of coverage when the site came live?

I'm around 26/27 km from the mast that I'm told I'll be connected to. By the sounds of this I'll be out of coverage when it actually goes live.

Yes.
    It depends on your location and topography. In my case that might be a problem.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

BrokenMan wrote: »
    Have they said if any users connected to Abbeyknockmoy are getting good speeds? I'm due to be connected in the next week or so. Am away at the moment.

they told me most users were ok with some having speeds in excess of 90mb/s

I know. I'm a network nerd myself (nowhere near your level though) and because I have had some CS experience myself, I know how to log a call and deal with the guys at the other end of the line.

I can tell you most people in my area think our WISP is terrible. I try to coach them on how to deal with the CS, but I guess when their kids are screaming they can't stream Bosco or Wanderly Wagon (and I await the millenials going to google just WTF I'm talking about ... :P) they get frustrated too.

Wait.... you can stream Bosco and Wanderly Wagon? Oh what a beautiful marriage of modern technology and nostalgia! I'd bet Bosco never thought he'd be split up into UDP datagrams and whisked across the ether!

The Magic Door would faint in disbelief! I can see Marion consoling Frank!

I had a crush on Marion BTW.... :)

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    I'm not saying it's your issue, but speed tests on my android tablet were crap. I wouldn't trust a phone.

You'll just have to keep at them chris. Have you cancelled your other service? Or what was it again
    You could try and turn the screw with imagine, I have x days left of my 14days cooling off and I'm gone..

I wish it was just the phone. here are some wired tests with noting else connected.

http://www.speedtest.net/result/5457759871.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/5457866452.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/result/5457761087.png
    http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5457905073

Wait.... you can stream Bosco and Wanderly Wagon? Oh what a beautiful marriage of modern technology and nostalgia! I'd bet Bosco never thought he'd be split up into UDP datagrams and whisked across the ether!

The Magic Door would faint in disbelief! I can see Marion consoling Frank!

I had a crush on Marion BTW.... :)

I think you mean Marian ... what a FOX in a pair of dungarees!
    hqdefault.jpg

Edit: Mods please don't kill us for a bit of nostalgia!

I think you mean Marian ... what a FOX in a pair of dungarees!
    hqdefault.jpg

Edit: Mods please don't kill us for a bit of nostalgia!

Yes that's her, jeez nowadays flick on the TV and you might see Rhianna or someone! How times have changed! 😂

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

SCOOP 64 wrote: »
    On previous posts on here as many of you know i tried to get imagine LTE but unfortunately couldn't get more then 15mb so they wouldn't install, im with Permanet at moment, was getting 1/3 mb for a long time, always got from permanet its contention in evenings so couldn't be helped, so i rang permanet after the let down of imagine to give out again and they said we will send a engineer round, first time this was ever suggested, after the visit on wired connection now 8/10mb, wireless 5/8 mb anytime of day, don't know what he done to get these speeds, i was at work,what could he have done after all this time of bad speeds, to get these speeds? i know its not imagine LTE speeds but this is the best speeds ive ever had on this service and it makes a big difference, ( ps, did not change modem).

Ha! Document and record your connection now while it is good incase it falls off again! Glad some good came out of it for ya :D

irishchris wrote: »

Yes, piss poor really.
    Well you've had them out to your house again, they have obviously done what they can from there. Which means it is out of your hands really. I mean it is the mast/their backend that is the problem. All you can do is keep hammering CS.
    You have our speed tests you could relay to them if that is worth anything.
    Obviously best would be a reference to someone else on your mast that you could use to beat CS into submission with.. (If you did know someone else on your mast, it wouldn't even matter what distance they were from the mast since none of the imagine docs seem to relate dist to perf)

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,876 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Yes, that is how broadband is in urban areas for most people. If you are lucky enough to have Virgin or a decent VDSL line, then it mostly just works *

* Just the odd wifi problem, reliable wifi really hasn't been sorted out for the consumer market yet!

Hopefully the NBP and FTTH will bring the same reliability to rural Ireland. It certainly won't be this imagine service or any wireless service, wireless simply isn't reliable, it is "best effort" in the best case scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭diarmuid05

irishchris wrote: »
    they told me most users were ok with some having speeds in excess of 90mb/s

I am being added to the abbeyknockmoy mast tomorrow - will update you on speeds once i'm up and running

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

diarmuid05 wrote: »
    I am being added to the abbeyknockmoy mast tomorrow - will update you on speeds once i'm up and running

:) Was connected to Abbeyknockmoy mast yesterday, 2.5KM away across a valley on other hill, more or less perfect line of sight except for some exceptionally tall evergreens almost blocking it.
    i.imgur . com/IXxnKdz.jpg

Speeds are fantastic (seems to be a drop off in evenings all right) but staying in 20 to 85 mbit range, with the average being about 70ish, coming from a local wireless provided which gives only 4mbit and a few months ago was down more often than working, finally made it into 21st century :)
    www . speedtest . net/my-result/5458930805

i will keep all tests here
    www . speedtest . net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

I work from home as a system admin/developer so its a massive boost for my business.

35ms STEADY ping to my servers in Amsterdam, compared to 90ms WOBBLY ping before

Aside: Have a 100/10 Virgin business connection in office in Galway City, get 170ms ping to our servers in Amsterdam due to Virgin/Aorta deciding to route connections via East Coast US since they do not want to peer with Cogent (large bulk bandwidth provider that servers the likes of Netflix, which btw is probably why netflix had so many issues with UPC/Virgin) This problem has been present for over 5 years too, with Cogent blaming UPC and UPC just going "meh" in the multiple times I complained to both

Aside 2: I see NL<>Imagine connection goes thru a few "aorta" hops as well as "irishbroadband.ie", so I am really baffled now as to why Virgin route connections to Cogent via East coast US

Anyways to get back on subject at hand. I am very happy so far with Imagine

BUT the home router they give is an absolute loads of bullocks and it seems they locked it down tight and one has to use it, my fancy Asus router is now the worlds most expensive AP point :(

The wireless signal from their router is VERY WEAK i walked around house with Wifi Analyser on phone and signal drops rapidly within a couple of steps!

I have not been able to get security cameras to work remotely yet (and probably wont be able to run home server) since have no access to their router and cant portforward, dmz things

I have a feeling alot of the bad results some people are getting are due to this piece of crap

I am wondering if copying their router mac address onto mine might do the trick, thats if that box of theirs doesnt do any other kung fu, I dont need nor tested the phone service.

To summarize. For us culchies :D this is like going from a Lada to a Ford Mondeo, yes I am aware there are Lambourghinis and Teslas out there but those fast broadband cars do not dare to brave our country "roads"
    As for fiber to the home being promised since forever by various governments, I will believe it and get it when I see it... for now this seems quite a good step forward.

edit: wont let me attach or post image URLs :( so decode em yourselves, maybe the admins can edit my post for the links to work

We've talked about the imagine router in earlier pages, here is my post. A few of us on here are doing the same as you, using old router as wireless ap.

It is not so much that it is 'locked down', the issue is that it powers the receiver and information related to what the receiver needs (with a view to binning the imagine router completely) is not easy to find. Not in english anyway.

I am of the same attitude in regards to the service. Currently it is the best I can get. If that changes in 6 or 12 months time, then great, I'll get onto that better service..

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Yeh I tried admin/admin didn't work, rang support who to their credit are knowledgeable and are not the usual imbeciles who seem to man these things usually.

They said to just contact them requesting a static ip address and they will set up any port fowarding or dmz for security cameras to work thru the network. They do not seem to thrilled with these WN-600 units either from what i gathered.

I read back thru the thread and do not understand why some people are bringing up Eir(com), according to their map I am at the very end of a blue line, their technicians who caught down the road said "few years" for fast broadband.
    I had horrible experience with them, with sales person selling 12 mbit broadband but line only supporting 1mbit being at edge of 2 rural exchanges, and then I had to raise hell to cancel the service and direct debit, they tried the whole "oh 14 days are gone" even tho i rang immediately on day of eircom install (which was simple manner of putting cable thru ducting i left when building) and it was their fault it took KN a month or more to come around after official install date. Basically it was a complete and utter f&*k up, so I am not holding my breath for long nor paying much attention to their promises.

Having lived in Dublin and Galway while yes there is a lot more choices (tho of course that varies too), here out the country we may as well be on another planet networkwise. And so far I am quite happy and will keep an eye on this as more customers are added to this mast.

All that aside: anyone know if the ethernet ports on this WN-600 "router" are limited to 100mbit? Cant seem to get 1000mbit on my local network like before which sucks when connecting to NAS. Could be a cable problem too I suppose but only thing that changed is that yoke

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

Is this map out of date? Can't find any of the masts mentioned by posters on here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

polaris68 wrote: »
    http://www.comreg.ie/radio_spectrum/fwala_search.541.960.fwalasearch.html

Is this map out of date? Can't find any of the masts mentioned by posters on here.

Search under 3.5GHz for IBB Internet Services also Irish Broadband Internet Services. Irish Broadband held licenses that were acquired by Imagine when Imagine took them over.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

df_h wrote: »
    :) Was connected to Abbeyknockmoy mast yesterday, 2.5KM away across a valley on other hill, more or less perfect line of sight except for some exceptionally tall evergreens almost blocking it.
    i.imgur . com/IXxnKdz.jpg

Speeds are fantastic (seems to be a drop off in evenings all right) but staying in 20 to 85 mbit range, with the average being about 70ish, coming from a local wireless provided which gives only 4mbit and a few months ago was down more often than working, finally made it into 21st century :)
    www . speedtest . net/my-result/5458930805

i will keep all tests here
    www . speedtest . net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

I work from home as a system admin/developer so its a massive boost for my business.

35ms STEADY ping to my servers in Amsterdam, compared to 90ms WOBBLY ping before

Aside: Have a 100/10 Virgin business connection in office in Galway City, get 170ms ping to our servers in Amsterdam due to Virgin/Aorta deciding to route connections via East Coast US since they do not want to peer with Cogent (large bulk bandwidth provider that servers the likes of Netflix, which btw is probably why netflix had so many issues with UPC/Virgin) This problem has been present for over 5 years too, with Cogent blaming UPC and UPC just going "meh" in the multiple times I complained to both

Aside 2: I see NL<>Imagine connection goes thru a few "aorta" hops as well as "irishbroadband.ie", so I am really baffled now as to why Virgin route connections to Cogent via East coast US

Anyways to get back on subject at hand. I am very happy so far with Imagine

BUT the home router they give is an absolute loads of bullocks and it seems they locked it down tight and one has to use it, my fancy Asus router is now the worlds most expensive AP point :(

The wireless signal from their router is VERY WEAK i walked around house with Wifi Analyser on phone and signal drops rapidly within a couple of steps!

I have not been able to get security cameras to work remotely yet (and probably wont be able to run home server) since have no access to their router and cant portforward, dmz things

I have a feeling alot of the bad results some people are getting are due to this piece of crap

I am wondering if copying their router mac address onto mine might do the trick, thats if that box of theirs doesnt do any other kung fu, I dont need nor tested the phone service.

To summarize. For us culchies :D this is like going from a Lada to a Ford Mondeo, yes I am aware there are Lambourghinis and Teslas out there but those fast broadband cars do not dare to brave our country "roads"
    As for fiber to the home being promised since forever by various governments, I will believe it and get it when I see it... for now this seems quite a good step forward.

edit: wont let me attach or post image URLs :( so decode em yourselves, maybe the admins can edit my post for the links to work

Yep, supplied router in crap. But, you don't necessarily need to use it as part of your network. Just Google connecting two routers LAN to wan. Then just connect everything to your Asus as before...wired and wireless. It basically turns your new piece of crap router into a cable modem. As for port forwarding for your cameras, just acuire your Asus up Wan address. Port forward required port to that address on piece of crap router. These on Asus router, get IP addresses of your cameras and port forward same ports on Asus to these addresses. You might have to connect/ disconnect LAN directly to each router to obtain required addresses. See how it goes, this is what I have done,as it basically only uses piece of crap router as Internet access and no other routing functions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

See on Novas facebook they are trailing a tech with a speed increase, imagine making the other wisps up their game

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

Still can't fault imagine - excellent service so far! Bweeng still holding up without flaw.

5459930416.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

irishfeen wrote: »
    Still can't fault imagine - excellent service so far! Bweeng still holding up without flaw.

5459930416.png

I want it so bad :(
    I'm so close to coverage too

• Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭irishfeen

km79 wrote: »
    I want it so bad :(
    I'm so close to coverage too
    Are you in line of sight to the mast?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,288 ✭✭✭SCOOP 64

Permanet, wireless connection,

5460163211.png

Ill make the most of it while on lasts, that was worth the phone call to complain.

Well after several more calls from imagine and troubleshooting they are sending techs out for the Third time to replace router and look at antenna and replacing cat 6 cable. In fairness to them they have continually rang me and tried to troubleshoot but as of today their router wouldn't let them login and by rebooting router they could login for few seconds and then block them so they have accepted that the router at least is for the bin. Hopefully by Tuesday I may get a reliable connection!

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Chef-1st wrote: »
    I see I'm not the only one getting under 30M in the evenings.
    Keep up the speed tests. It's the only way to have anything solid when they come up with excuses.

I have been getting very poor speeds in the evening. Starting to regret moving from Permanet. Good speeds early in the morning and late at night but often goes below 10 in the evening. Waiting over 10 days for my phone number to be ported, promised it will happen tomorrow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Johnfred wrote: »
    I have been getting very poor speeds in the evening. Starting to regret moving from Permanet. Good speeds early in the morning and late at night but often goes below 10 in the evening. Waiting over 10 days for my phone number to be ported, promised it will happen tomorrow!

Below 10Mb? Have you phoned them and asked them to explain how this can be when they are magically not affected by contention and promise minimum 30Mb?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭jcd5971

Johnfred wrote:

Below 10 what was lowest?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Wow, I thought I was the only one! I see your location is Wexford Johnfred. Are you also on the Wexford mast?
    I did have a speed test with only 7M last night, but I'm putting it down to a once-off random low dip.
    I have been seeing a good few 10-18M test results from 7-10pm.
    The next batch of results coming in from 19 to 31M at random times in the evenings.
    Yesterday I was told the same, "it couldn't be contention, IT JUST COULDN'T BE!"
    So why does it only happen in the evenings?? .......hhmm...still under investigation.

What's good with the speedtest results is by clicking the download column and sorting by download speeds, you can see the time stamp on all your lowest results. Just on that, watch your time zone settings. Standard GMT setting is an hour behind, it has to be set to BST for the correct time.
    My results so far:
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=ca0743c0b8cf444e2d91bc3118335acd&ria=0

Oh and I have results from the 12th of June onwards, but it seems the Ookla graph can only show a certain amount of the latest speed test results. Your results are still logged underneath on the list.

Advertisement