Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

Thought would try a testmy.net result to see if was any better but not good at all! these tests are all done hardwired to laptop with all background tasks off and only speed tests running

swhtq1TPL.png

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

:o
    irishchris wrote: »
    definitely way below th eminimum 30 and never even at start did it come near the 70mb/s. If they can not improve it i will definitely be dumping them. I am lucky in that three 4G has been terrific with even peak speeds 50+ and that was consistent for the just under 2 years that i was with them. I am hoping that it is simply a router/antenna problem as in fairness I am extremely close to the mast and with a brilliant LOS. Will know timorrow when they call out as to whethe rit is a local issue

Go pay as you go mobile for unlimited data so :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,603 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

long_b wrote: »
    Trees or hills do you know?
    Did the installer have a good idea where the mast was in relation to your house?
    Did they try the roof?

Hills in the way, he was up on roof with an antenna, tried a few different bits of kit for about hour and a half before he gave up, few other houses near us also failed today.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

worrying that since Imagine lost the NBP race a few days ago, that speeds have gone downhill and all over the place with Imagine. Have they given up on their 30 meg minimum speed target already and just cramming everyone into the network/ masts?

Those speed tests really show how bad its gone, would definitely send them on to Imagine to show the possible congestion problems. If enough people complain hopefully it will put pressure on them to sort this out.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Well my connection has gone from inconsistent and mostly poor to diabolical. I was resisting posting link to my speeds as imagine are continuously ringing me in relation to it but has now gone beyond a joke

anyway here is the link: http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=d1d12b80f41a39810a4473fb94e2db18&ria=0.

Damn that is gone bad, mine is definately on downward trend too, have not seen 80+ mbit in a 2 days, howering in 70s now

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

will keep testing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

One or two customers having bad speed tests doesn't mean that the network is falling apart or that they're massively over selling.

The decision on the NBP was only a few days ago, they couldnt have added that many new users in the intervening time.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

long_b wrote: »
    One or two customers having bad speed tests doesn't mean that the network is falling apart or that they're massively over selling.

The decision on the NBP was only a few days ago, they couldnt have added that many new users in the intervening time.

I agree, my speeds are relatively consistent. Also check the imagine website. Nowhere does it guarantee a 30M minimum. If you can't get 30M on installation, they won't install, but that doesn't mean your guaranteed min 30M. A little less pecimissim and Imagine bashing perhaps...? I for one am a delighted, satisfied customer.

df_h wrote: »
    Damn that is gone bad, mine is definately on downward trend too, have not seen 80+ mbit in a 2 days, howering in 70s now

will keep testing

Are you for real.....only hovering in 70's.....you need to contact cs and complain...cancel even....a total disgrace...lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,586 ✭✭✭✭The Cush

Comreg published it Decision on the 3.6 GHz band spectrum award yesterday.

A final Information Memorandum on the 3.6 GHz Band Spectrum Award is scheduled for publication in August 2016 to clarify the timetable of the auction process.

http://www.comreg.ie/publications/response_to_consultation_and_decision_on_proposed_3_6_ghz_band_spectrum_award.583.105151.p.html

Ok speeds back to 80s, I done a test overnight and downloaded an 86GB backup in the middle of night, no problems with any cap. Lets see what the rest of the day brings.

5470091257.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I think people are a bit nervous now regarding Imagine with the latest NBP & 3.6 Ghz license developments and are watching their speed tests like a hawk for any signs of dis-improvement (or improvement in some cases, fingers crossed for Irishchris). I know I am. So far so good.

I am getting more and more pissed of with Virgin Business, beside for some crazy reason routing connections via US on connections to Cogent in amsterdam (as mentioned in my earlier post)

I just noticed Virgin are routing Galway City (Virgin) > Galway County (Imagine) connections via Frankfurt
                                                  My traceroute  [v0.86]
    backup (0.0.0.0)                                                                           Tue Jul 12 11:41:53 2016
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                                                               Packets               Pings
     Host                                                                    Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 192.168.1.1                                                           0.0%   684    0.2   0.2   0.2  38.5   1.5
     2. 10.100.43.1                                                           0.0%   684    7.7   8.2   5.1  50.2   3.2
     3. 109.255.254.126                                                       0.0%   684    8.2   9.3   4.6  69.6   9.1
     4. ie-dub01a-ra4-ae23-0.aorta.net                                        0.0%   684   13.3  13.3  10.1  37.6   2.3
    [B] 5. de-fra01a-ri2-xe-4-1-0.aorta.net                                      0.0%   684   11.5  11.4   8.0  63.7   3.5[/B]
     6. DN60-ge-0-1-0-12-deg-inex-gw.irishbroadband.ie                        0.0%   683   11.8  12.5   8.7  39.0   3.1
     7. 89.127.192.74                                                         0.0%   683   13.6  16.1  10.3  94.7   9.2
     8. ???                                                         0.0%   683   28.3  38.5  28.3  91.7   7.4

Tho' in the opposite direction Imagine do it correctly and it goes thru Dublin (no exchange in Galway)
                                                  My traceroute  [v0.86]
    vm1 (0.0.0.0)                                                                             Tue Jul 12 11:42:20 2016
    Keys:  Help   Display mode   Restart statistics   Order of fields   quit
                                                                              Packets               Pings
     Host                                                                   Loss%   Snt   Last   Avg  Best  Wrst StDev
     1. 192.168.22.1                                                         0.0%   529    0.7   0.8   0.5   4.7   0.1
     2. CPE.lan                                                              0.0%   529    1.6   1.9   1.1   4.3   0.1
     3. ???
     4. DN07-ae4-442-ibis-gw-1.irishbroadband.ie                             0.0%   529   29.9  29.6  19.5  92.4   7.6
     5. ie-dub01a-ra1.aorta.net                                              0.0%   529   30.0  30.4  20.5  62.0   6.9
     6. ie-dub01a-ra3-ae50-0.aorta.net                                       0.2%   529   38.0  30.3  20.6 136.3   8.8
     7. ie-galway-ram-a-ae1-0.aorta.net                                      0.2%   529   27.5  34.5  24.2 115.6   9.9
     8. 109.255.251.116                                                      0.0%   529   35.8  34.6  24.6  77.6   6.9
     9. ???

Curious and curiouser, Imagine are definatelly doing better connectivity wise than Virgin Business here in Galway.

the difference in the install team this time was like difference between night and day! really impressed at their work. although very wet they had no hesitation in going on my roof and installing to get better signal rates. new type antenna and new type router. they spent couple hours here and tested on their equipment and mine to ensure it was up to scratch.

here is an example of the speeds im getting now and hopefully should not drop too much with contention in evening but even if did should still be good evening time speeds i would imagine now.

5470362365.png

Q3RnVF2yN.png

5470362365.png

Wow, do you have photos of the new antennae and router?

df_h wrote: »
    Wow, do you have photos of the new antennae and router?

Here are some of both

Here are some of both

Wow.....great cs....No phone line on new box...??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

any info on that new router and antenna combo?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 agtaistil

HI
    Im on the Louth Meath border
    Just had the same LTE offer but have the same concerns regarding numbers . They say the speed is guaranteed . All that would be fine if it works but I have had a terrible time with eircom/eir & am reluctant to give them direct debit until I get some evidence that it is what it says (EG 6 months pay as you go )
    Any adverse experiences ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Read the thread. All the info is in here.
    TLDR: Most people are happy. A few have had poor speeds, one of them just got resolved with a third engineer visit and new equipment (I had problems too, got resolved quickly by sending out an engineer and replacing faulty equipment).
    From what I can tell, experiences with CS when something is wrong are mostly positive. I've been with Imagine since the end of February (my speed test history link should be a few pages back) and am very happy.
    If anything, their supplied equipment seems to be somewhat fault prone but so far they quick enough to replace it.

@Irishchris: Is the new router/antenna a different make or just a different version of the GreenPack?

• Registered Users Posts: 6 agtaistil

Hi
    Im on Louth Meath Border withawful eir coverage.
    Lte have made the same offer here.
    Im concerned about numbers / speeds etc too.
    Also concerned about direct debit without any experience of the operation ???
    Anylocal comments?

• Advertisement

morgana wrote: »
    Read the thread. All the info is in here.
    TLDR: Most people are happy. A few have had poor speeds, one of them just got resolved with a third engineer visit and new equipment (I had problems too, got resolved quickly by sending out an engineer and replacing faulty equipment).
    From what I can tell, experiences with CS when something is wrong are mostly positive. I've been with Imagine since the end of February (my speed test history link should be a few pages back) and am very happy.
    If anything, their supplied equipment seems to be somewhat fault prone but so far they quick enough to replace it.

@Irishchris: Is the new router/antenna a different make or just a different version of the GreenPack?

Just out at min but will get make of new Antenna and router when get back. I can't think of the name that the engineer said they were but will check base of router when get back. Definitely not greenpacket but can't think at min of name. Only two ethernet ports in the back but that is plenty as will be running my router off one of them and use other one for the room it is in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Just out at min but will get make of new Antenna and router when get back. I can't think of the name that the engineer said they were but will check base of router when get back. Definitely not greenpacket but can't think at min of name. Only two ethernet ports in the back but that is plenty as will be running my router off one of them and use other one for the room it is in

Looks like a non wireless router from the pics?

• Registered Users Posts: 21 coffeeJohn92

Just a question for anyone who's been connected to Imagine. Whats the range you are from the mast?

I've read that they can connect people up to 20km away, but what would the speed be like from that distance, with nothing blocking the signal.

Is it a case where someone who is 5km from the mast would get 70mb/s on avg and someone who is 15km from the same mast would get 30mb/s..?

Just interested in finding out what the max range in which someone has been connected and are they getting a decent speed.
    Cheers

Just a question for anyone who's been connected to Imagine. Whats the range you are from the mast?

I've read that they can connect people up to 20km away, but what would the speed be like from that distance, with nothing blocking the signal.

Is it a case where someone who is 5km from the mast would get 70mb/s on avg and someone who is 15km from the same mast would get 30mb/s..?

Just interested in finding out what the max range in which someone has been connected and are they getting a decent speed.
    Cheers

18KM distance. Getting as high as mid 50's download offpeak and high 20's peak.

leex wrote: »

That's nice distance and speed leex, it gives me hope :)

I'm 15km from the nearest mast which isn't live yet, so hope it works out and I will see those speeds when it does go live.

Thanks the reply

leex wrote: »

I'm 15km from the nearest mast which isn't live yet, so hope it works out and I will see those speeds when it does go live.

Thanks for the reply

Thanks for the reply

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=aecde9c6a966e2a552333f79b461f612&ria=0

• Registered Users Posts: 28 just_manu

Ok, I just got installed after lunch. The guys were quick helpful and friendly.
    He showed me his speed through his wired connection to the router and he was getting 96meg download and 8 up!! Fantastic. !!!

Then I tried my phone connected over wifi and was getting around 15 / 20 down and 4 up.
    I have since tried on my laptop over wifi but only get between 30 and 40 down!
    Does anyone know if this is normal loss over wifi? I was expecting some loss over wifi but surely it should not be cutting it down that low??
    Anyone else got this?
    (Don't get me wrong, either way am much better off than I was and am happy either way!)

just_manu wrote: »
    He showed me his speed through his wired connection to the router and he was getting 96meg download and 8 up!! Fantastic. !!!

Then I tried my phone connected over wifi and was getting around 15 / 20 down and 4 up.
    Does anyone know if this is normal loss over wifi? I was expecting some loss over wifi but surely it should not be cutting it down that low??
    Anyone else got this?
    (Don't get me wrong, either way am much better off than I was and am happy either way!)

Test via network cable is the only reliable option.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

just_manu wrote: »

Anyone else got this?

Common misconception that wifi might take off a certain percentage. Networking works at slowest link in the chain. So your older wifi device can manage 30Mb, on a 30Mb line you see 100%, on a 360Mb line you see 12%.

Not sure if their modem supports 5Ghz but you may see better rates with that but older devices won't connect. If you have any modern iPads then test with that, they've an excellent radio/antenna for a handheld.

If you list the devices you've tried we can tell you what they're capable of.

Advertisement