Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Yep. I bought powerline adaptors from Amazon for the consoles and TV media devices. Easy no quibble returns with Amazon if they don't work.
    I find them brill. No lag at all. If you can, use the wired ones. Depends on your house wiring. Average modern house should be ok.
    I went for Zyxel, but the TP-Link ones I hear are good too. And go for the later AV2 type, not the AV1 standard.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/PLA5206-Powerline-Gigabit-Ethernet-Adapter/dp/B00OB2D5XC/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1468414512&sr=8-1&keywords=powerline+adapter+zyxel

Can't comment on the wireless ones. I hear the British BT branded powerline wifi extenders are meant to be excellent though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Any chance we could get back on topic ?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

long_b wrote: »
    Any chance we could get back on topic ?

All this helps people maximize lan speeds and thus gives a better evaluation of imagines delivered speeds so I don't think it's necessarily off topic...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Anyways plugged in a bog standard handset into telephone socket, cant make or receive calls on the handset

BTW there is a reset button on the router that can push with a pen, has anyone tried it? I am half tempted since I do not like being locked out of the damn thing, and its comical support telling me to use admin/admin and me telling them that no it doesnt work time and time again

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

I know mine is admin/admin alright. The factory reset button will reset the password but I'm not sure what it'll clear on your network settings.
    I haven't needed to push it yet!
    I know I don't need to ask this, I'm sure you've tried it all, it's not something silly the tech did on the install day, like CAPS or First Letter Caps? Admin / Admin or ADMIN / ADMIN.

...Or password/password is a common generic one!

On the phone, Siemens Gigasets are recommended. I bought the C620 version. Decent job. There are much cheaper versions. Not that it'll get used much at all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Chef-1st wrote: »
    I know mine is admin/admin alright. The factory reset button will reset the password but I'm not sure what it'll clear on your network settings.
    I haven't needed to push it yet!
    I know I don't need to ask this, I'm sure you've tried it all, it's not something silly the tech did on the install day, like CAPS or First Letter Caps? Admin / Admin or ADMIN / ADMIN.

...Or password/password is a common generic one!

On the phone, Siemens Gigasets are recommended. I bought the C620 version. Decent job. There are much cheaper versions. Not that it'll get used much at all.

I purchased a twin pack of these recently and they are working well connected to the Green Packet router.

To answer my earlier question, the WN-600 has the 4 ethernet ports limited to 100mbit

So had to do a bit of internal home network rewiring putting everything wired on a 1000mbit switch, to at least achieve fast speeds within home especially to local NAS and development server.

Phone works now too, the support guy was fantastic took a while but between both of us got it sorted :)
    Imagine antennae on roof
    |
    |-> wn-600 with wifi disabled
             |
             |-> Gigabit switch for all devices connected via cat6 cables
             |
             |-> Asus RT-AC66U in AP mode for 2/5ghz wifi for wireless devices
             |
             |-> Powerline connection for a hard to reach location
             |
             |-> CCTV recorder

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

df_h wrote: »
    To answer my earlier question, the WN-600 has the 4 ethernet ports limited to 100mbit

So had to do a bit of internal home network rewiring putting everything wired on a 1000mbit switch, to at least achieve fast speeds within home especially to local NAS and development server.

Phone works now too, the support guy was fantastic took a while but between both of us got it sorted :)
    Imagine antennae on roof
    |
    |-> wn-600 with wifi disabled
             |
             |-> [B][COLOR="Red"]Gigabit switch for all devices connected via cat6 cables[/COLOR][/B]
             |
             |-> Asus RT-AC66U in AP mode for 2/5ghz wifi for wireless devices
             |
             |-> Powerline connection for a hard to reach location
             |
             |-> CCTV recorder

I need to set up similar. Looking at your diagram only the boxes in red will be on Gigabit network? Is there any reason not to connect Asus, Powerline connection and CCTV recorder to the switch?

leex wrote: »
    I need to set up similar. Looking at your diagram only the boxes in red will be on Gigabit network? Is there any reason not to connect Asus, Powerline connection and CCTV recorder to the switch?

Oh you can of course, the reason I put the Asus separately is that I put it on the opposite side of the house where the rest of the family usually uses wifi, and where cat6 cables from xbox and media player come in.
    One side is for work one is for play :)

Something to note the antennae seems to have the 192.168.1.x to itself, the WN-600 gets a wan ip of 192.168.1.254, and then in turn the WN-600 has a local lan range of 192.168.22.x

It seems the only purpose WN-600 serves is to offer voip, and allow remote access for Imagine support, which in my cases funilly enough never worked lol

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Applebhoy

Just got connected today to Mongorry Hill, in Donegal
    Installers left with installation 81Mb, running tests all day and ranging from 75-89Mb.
    anyone found a way to only use imagine's modem to power the antenna only, and use your own router.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Applebhoy wrote: »
    Installers left with installation 81Mb, running tests all day and ranging from 75-89Mb.
    anyone found a way to only use imagine's modem to power the antenna only, and use your own router.

Look back up 3 posts to @df_h set-up - that's about the best you'll get for now.

this is still using imagine's router for DHCP?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

this is still using imagine's router for DHCP?

Unfortunately yes - it's not proper bridge mode, but it seems to be the only solution for impoving the wi-fi and providing a local gigabit network.

i have changed the imagine router to bridge mode, and now my gateway is the antenna (only using imagine router for poe for antenna)

Yep, it's post is all we can do for now. Setup your own router as ap wired to piece of crap green packet. Use gigabit / 100mb switch for rest of wired stuff and tap that into piece of crap green packet. Job done.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I mailed Imagine support about this (even though I'm ~two months from an install). Asked if I could get the CPE configured as a bridge, and simply pass the public IP through to my own servers to do the routing, firewall, DHCP, DNS, wireless etc. Below is their response. I'll take it with a grain of salt until I actually see reports of success from others. I don't think their network is particularly well set up for this. Does anyone know whether the public IP/Internet access is via NAT or PPPoE or something else? They do seem open to people going this route though, so that's something.
    Imagine wrote:
    This is absolutely possible although I would just ask that you call us when you are attempting to configure this setup as our technical agents would like to have direct contact with yourself while setting this up so that we can ensure the configuration is set correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

So if I'm right, Y'all are doing this because the Imagine router is a choke point for speeds correct? And I'm guessing it's non configurable aswell?

Wing126 wrote: »
    So if I'm right, Y'all are doing this because the Imagine router is a choke point for speeds correct? And I'm guessing it's non configurable aswell?

Not so much a choke point for internet speed, however if your routing all your internal network though it then your limited to 100Meg Lan speed and equally poor wireless speeds. If you can route your lan using gigabit gear then steaming stuff or transferring files around your lan should be much quicker, assuming that you have gigabit gear to take advantage. Also you can improve wireless speed and range using an alternative modern AC router. Again, this only improves you distribution within your lan, you will still have only internet speeds that the green packet is dishing out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

In my case it's more that I'm simply an unabashed nerd and my network is is much my hobby as another persons golf/car/fishing etc, so I like to do as much of it myself as I can. I was never going to use the wireless or switch functionality of whatever they provide anyway; it's simply a means to connect my network to the Internet.

As I said before, not by any means a deal-breaker, but it would be nice to set it up as I like it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I got mine installed today. Was getting between 91 and 96Mb on the installers laptop. As soon as I plugged it into my PC I was getting maximum 82Mb.

Is there some settings on my PC that would reflect the drop in speeds? Its wired straight into the router using the same cable he used.

I had no other background tasks running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I got mine installed today. Was getting between 91 and 96Mb on the installers laptop. As soon as I plugged it into my PC I was getting maximum 82Mb.

Is there some settings on my PC that would reflect the drop in speeds? Its wired straight into the router using the same cable he used.

I had no other background tasks running.

Most likely it is because your PC has a 100Mb/s NIC and so is not capable of any more.
    82Mb/s is about correct for a 100Mb/s NIC when overhead etc is taken into account.

Most likely it is because your PC has a 100Mb/s NIC and so is not capable of any more.
    82Mb/s is about correct for a 100Mb/s NIC when overhead etc is taken into account.

Ive got a gigabit port, its a gaming PC.

The last time I used the ethernet port on it was before I moved to Donegal and I had 360Mb from Virgin Media and I was getting the full whack.

Just clicked on Ethernet and it says the connection is 100.00Mbps. Hmmmm are the router ports 1Gb or 100Mb? Im wondering now if I had changed something before when I was using my homeplugs.....

Just noticed the lights where it plugs into my PC are orange, Im sure they are meant to turn green when its working properly. Any ideas? Its CAT5E.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

If you have one, put a small gigabit switch between your gaming pc and their router

( some yokes can be a bit "odd" )

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Hmmmm are the router ports 1Gb or 100Mb?

Only 100Mb.

100Mb, aha that will explain why the 9 cables I tried didnt change the light from orange to green. :(

So a 1Gb connection is not possible.

So how could the installer have got 96Mb on speedtest if thats not possible on a 100Mb connection?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

So how could the installer have got 96Mb on speedtest if thats not possible on a 100Mb connection?

96 is possible, usually it'll be more like 90-92 but depends on the devices in use.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

100Mb, aha that will explain why the 9 cables I tried didnt change the light from orange to green. :(

So a 1Gb connection is not possible.

i got a couple of 90+ speeds on day of install on my own pc the morning of (3rd) install. max since is 70-85

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

I had a quick look at the most recent tests listing on TestMy for Ireland and saw this one someone got on Imagine:

9rzDsG0SA.png

I wouldn't mind having that... :cool:

• Advertisement

http://testmy.net/px0X1mas5.png

87 on testmy.net

Just got this.

5477798171.png

Advertisement