Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,764 ✭✭✭funnyname

On an aside great to see that 22% of Ireland has faster speeds.
    ="TireeTerror;100361519"]http://testmy.net/px0X1mas5.png

87 on testmy.net

Just got this.

5477798171.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

funnyname wrote: »
    On an aside great to see that 22% of Ireland has faster speeds.

Mostly Virgin cable I suppose. Imagine LTE seems to be on a par with Eir FTTC (albeit with a tad more latency).

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Dero wrote: »
    Mostly Virgin cable I suppose. Imagine LTE seems to be on a par with Eir FTTC (albeit with a tad more latency).

I dont know about Eircom but Imagine definately has lower pings/latency than Virgin Business here in Galway

See my previous posts in this thread, Virgin/UPC/Aorta do all sorts of crazy routing to this day and i posted mtr results to illustrate it earlier.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Yeah, Virgin's routes are all over the place. It has always been like that though, back to NTL days. They don't seem to do much peering in Ireland.

https://www.inex.ie/ixp/peering-matrix

There is an inherent latency penalty with LTE in any case, and especially so if the mast uses microwave backhaul. I don't know what percentage of them do, but I doubt that all sites have fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Dero wrote: »
    Imagine LTE upload is lower than VDSl but download on par

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

This is coming to Longford now in the next 3 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 29 rgmartin91

So lads, what is the general consensus on this - from reading the thread it seems pretty much as advertised with some teething issues?

As someone who is currently getting less than 1mb with Eir, this is surely an easy call?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

rgmartin91 wrote: »
    So lads, what is the general consensus on this - from reading the thread it seems pretty much as advertised with some teething issues?

As someone who is currently getting less than 1mb with Eir, this is surely an easy call?

No brainier.... I've come from a reasonably steady 12M connection with excellent customer service to imagine. No problems bar a slow phone number port and pretty crap equipment(same can be said for most isp's). Averaging now about 50M. Peak times 35-40...off peak approximately 65-70 all for the same price as before....!!..Even if it all goes to pot, 100 euro to jump ship and crawl back to previous ISP till something better comes along.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 just_manu

Ok, so I have been up and running since getting installed on Tuesday and all was well. Wired speeds of 70 +.
    I downloaded a PS4 game last night which I think was around 45gig + in size. I kicked it off after 10:30pm or later, actually probably closer to 11 expecting that it would run for quite a while (ps4 wifi connection) and definitely into the 12 am to 7am 'download as much as you like' window.
    I had only minimally used any download allocation prior to kicking off so should have had most of the 20 gig allocation left for that day.
    Anyway, my wired connection download speed has now dropped drastically to 1meg!
    Is this me being throttled?? Anyone else experienced this?
    Kinda hoping I am being throttled and not contention / connection issue already.
    This is off the mongorry hill connection in Donegal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

You're being throttled for using over 20GB. Although, you're speeds should have reset after midnight this morning to their normal speeds. Sounds like you may have already used up your 20GB for today aswell. Speeds should reset after midnight tonight. If not, call Imagine tomorrow.

• Advertisement

Wing126 wrote: »
    You're being throttled for using over 20GB. Although, you're speeds should have reset after midnight this morning to their normal speeds. Sounds like you may have already used up your 20GB for today aswell. Speeds should reset after midnight tonight. If not, call Imagine tomorrow.

Cheers, I did check the download had finished at about 8 am this morning and it had. I wonder if the midnight to 7am window is true?
    Strange that when I got home from work at around 5:30pm the speeds seemed fine until about 9 or so when it dropped to 1mb. I must have just gone over the 20gb limit for the day and expect the speed to be reset at midnight.
    If not then on to customer care tomorrow.

just_manu wrote: »
    Cheers, I did check the download had finished at about 8 am this morning and it had. I wonder if the midnight to 7am window is true?

Yeah it's specifically mentioned within their T's & C's so it's true.

Wing126 wrote: »
    Yeah it's specifically mentioned within their T's & C's so it's true.

Just checks and 12 it is back to normal.
    Throttled to 1mb speed.

Throttled to 1mb speed.
    That bad that they throttled you to 1mb they could at least throttled you to 5mb or 8mb.It a good thing that they didn't get shortlisted in NBP.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

rob808 wrote: »
    That bad that they throttled you to 1mb they could at least throttled you to 5mb or 8mb.It a good thing that they didn't get shortlisted in NBP.

For the majority of my time under the NBP I was happy to GET 1mb !

Throttled to 1mb speed.

Aye, so you should, according to their T's & C's be allowed to use more than 20GB between now and 7.

km79 wrote: »
    For the majority of my time under the NBP I was happy to GET 1mb !
    yea but 1mb all there short of doing is putting him on dial up even if he is gone over download allowance.They should at least give him 3mb or even 5mb.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

rob808 wrote: »
    yea but 1mb all there short of doing is putting him on dial up even if he is gone over download allowance.They should at least give him 3mb or even 5mb.

How is 1mb "dial up" ?

At least they're giving something - for free - and not charging a ridiculous amount per MB like the 4G operators!

How is 1mb "dial up" ?

At least they're giving something - for free - and not charging a ridiculous amount per MB like the 4G operators!
    It not far off dail up but if people are happy to get throttled to 1mb I won't judge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

Will at least it will act as a block to the bottleneck speeds operators like three have with their all you can eat packages. Means loads use it to the max and overall everyone else suffers from poor speeds. I think it is quite sensible by imagine in that anyone can download large files between 12-7am whilst at all other times everyone experiences a better performance instead of some users fleecing the bandwidth to the cost of others. Like another user said they also don't charge any payment or extortionate amounts like most operators with a cap and at least allow an adequate speed to browse until midnight should someone decide to go over their cap of 20GB.

• Advertisement

I'm all together okay with the limit myself. It's very very seldom I'd use more than 20Gb in a day. The only time would be if I was downloading a game.

Even monitoring my eir usage atm and my family combined have only used 50/60gb so far this month.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

3 do not throttle or charge more for those on AYCE data. Ive been using it since 2011. I use around 150+GB per month on it without a word or bit of throttling.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

3 do not throttle or charge more for those on AYCE data. Ive been using it since 2011. I use around 150+GB per month on it without a word or bit of throttling.
    The network is in bits because of AYCE.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Hence why Vodafone have such stringent limits. To keep general network performance high, and it works.

guil wrote: »
    The network is in bits because of AYCE.

That is true, but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept people saying its being throttled, or customers are being charged more if they go over an allowance, because AYCE means unlimited.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That is true, but that doesn't mean I'm going to accept people saying its being throttled, or customers are being charged more if they go over an allowance, because AYCE means unlimited.
    If there are several like minded people in your area horsing the network, there simply won't be the network capacity in place to provide all of you with a decent service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

I was more referring to their mobile broadband plans which three do charge extortionate rates for if you go over your allowance, in some cases in the thousands of €€. I was not referring to their handset prepay plan but as others have said if you are an area where many are doing same as you then they simply don't have the bandwidth and speeds drop to a couple Meg at best, just look at the three forum on boards for evidence of it

irishchris wrote: »
    I was more referring to their mobile broadband plans which three do charge extortionate rates for if you go over your allowance, in some cases in the thousands of €€. I was not referring to their handset prepay plan but as others have said if you are an area where many are doing same as you then they simply don't have the bandwidth and speeds drop to a couple Meg at best, just look at the three forum on boards for evidence of it

Oh I know all about it. Only a fool would buy the mobile broadband version unless they had an alternative internet source, or didn't use much data to begin with. If you're a big user like me, AYCE, whether on a contract or on prepay is the ONLY choice to be made. I've had over 60Mb from it and they're rolling out 4G+ which certainly makes a difference.

Still, the network is overloaded, of that I cannot deny, hence why I got Imagine. I'm going to combine my imagine internet with my 4G on 3 to speed it up even more, and increase the upload speed as Imagines is not that fast really. No point in just using my Imagine service on my PC when I can use my 3 contract at the same time and benefit from 2 services joined together.

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

the 20m download..what would this give you..

we have 3 users in the house. 2 would be just Facebook, twitter , a few YouTube videos and the odd tv programme streamed.
    the 3rd user would be a good bit of youtube or Netflix , xbox live and one of them tv boxes.

would I go close to the download limit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

koppy wrote: »
    the 20m download..what would this give you..

we have 3 users in the house. 2 would be just Facebook, twitter , a few YouTube videos and the odd tv programme streamed.
    the 3rd user would be a good bit of youtube or Netflix , xbox live and one of them tv boxes.

would I go close to the download limit.

Netflix is a killer if it's being watched a few hours a day it will gobble it up
    We can't use it

Advertisement