Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

koppy wrote: »
    the 20m download..what would this give you..

we have 3 users in the house. 2 would be just Facebook, twitter , a few YouTube videos and the odd tv programme streamed.
    the 3rd user would be a good bit of youtube or Netflix , xbox live and one of them tv boxes.

would I go close to the download limit.

20GB a day (between 7am and midnight it seems) is quite a lot

Thats about 20 hours of streaming in HD

aside: I download 85ish GB during middle of night as i wrote a few posts back, didnt get throthled so whatever they claim seems to be true.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

koppy wrote: »
    the 20m download..what would this give you..

we have 3 users in the house. 2 would be just Facebook, twitter , a few YouTube videos and the odd tv programme streamed.
    the 3rd user would be a good bit of youtube or Netflix , xbox live and one of them tv boxes.

would I go close to the download limit.

Not 20m - 20g!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

km79 wrote: »
    Netflix is a killer if it's being watched a few hours a day it will gobble it up
    We can't use it
    You can set what quality you want Netflix to stream at in your Netflix account if you're worried about usage limits.

Low quality up to 0.3 GB per hour - I use this. It's grand

Medium up to 0.7 per hour
    High (HD) up to 3GB per hour

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

long_b wrote: »
    You can set what quality you want Netflix to stream at in your Netflix account if you're worried about usage limits.

Low quality up to 0.3 GB per hour - I use this. It's grand

Medium up to 0.7 per hour
    High (HD) up to 3GB per hour
    It kinda pointless having fast broadband if the day cap only 20Gb but the way things are at moment rural people will take the fast thing that come along which I understand.I wonder what will happen if government get the approval from Eu for USO of 30mb for everyone in Ireland how will imagine get away with throttling people to 1mb go for them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Oh I know all about it. Only a fool would buy the mobile broadband version unless they had an alternative internet source, or didn't use much data to begin with. If you're a big user like me, AYCE, whether on a contract or on prepay is the ONLY choice to be made. I've had over 60Mb from it and they're rolling out 4G+ which certainly makes a difference.

Still, the network is overloaded, of that I cannot deny, hence why I got Imagine. I'm going to combine my imagine internet with my 4G on 3 to speed it up even more, and increase the upload speed as Imagines is not that fast really. No point in just using my Imagine service on my PC when I can use my 3 contract at the same time and benefit from 2 services joined together.

I didn't think you believed contention was an issue on mobile networks?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

rob808 wrote: »
    It kinda pointless having fast broadband if the day cap only 20Gb but the way things are at moment rural people will take the fast thing that come along which I understand.I wonder what will happen if government get the approval from Eu for USO of 30mb for everyone in Ireland how will imagine get away with throttling people to 1mb go for them.
    Imagine are no longer in the running for the NBP contract, so it won't be an issue.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

I didn't think you believed contention was an issue on mobile networks?

No idea what youre talking about.

Of course it's a problem if it is oversubscribed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Without reading through 94 pages I just signed up to imagine from nova who were a joke really but the best i could get

What have I got myself into ?? Has to be an improvement anyway I'm hoping to be able to play ps4 online again with a better upload speed than .8mb

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

You'll be fine. Either way, they won't install if you don't get 30 Mbps. There are links to speed test results a few pages back from some people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,907 ✭✭✭woody1

had them out, no signal, bugger, only hope is a mast thats dead in front of the house and clearly visible gets enabled at some stage , probably a long shot but we live in hope

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

woody1 wrote: »
    had them out, no signal, bugger, only hope is a mast thats dead in front of the house and clearly visible gets enabled at some stage , probably a long shot but we live in hope

Did you have to pay the Eur 150 before they came out to check availability of service?

we had to pay 100 because we are already on wireless with someone else , they took bank details to take it, from better halfs bank so i dunno if it came out yet, i was on to them thursday and they were out monday, highest speed they got was 20 meg but they cant connect below 30, im currently on one meg set up so thats a bit of a sickener , hopefully something else will turn up..

Finally got an email today saying "we'll be in touch re installation", so fingers crossed.

Lucky for them, mind; the delays and lack of communication to date had me right on the verge of cancelling and looking to get my deposit back.

we had to pay 100 because we are already on wireless with someone else , they took bank details to take it, from better halfs bank so i dunno if it came out yet, i was on to them thursday and they were out monday, highest speed they got was 20 meg but they cant connect below 30, im currently on one meg set up so thats a bit of a sickener , hopefully something else will turn up..

What was in the way - was it trees, hills or other did they say?

What was in the way - was it trees, hills or other did they say?
    both, im not 100% sure where the mast is in ballina, but in that general direction theres both trees and hills in the way..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

both, im not 100% sure where the mast is in ballina, but in that general direction theres both trees and hills in the way..

And yet they were still able to manage 20Mb. That's impressive really, although I can sympathise with the pain of not being able to take the 20 as-is.

How far are you from the mast?

Dero wrote: »
    And yet they were still able to manage 20Mb. That's impressive really, although I can sympathise with the pain of not being able to take the 20 as-is.

How far are you from the mast?

Certainly think they've overcooked the speeds; if they dropped the orice by €10 or €15 for those who could "only" get 15mb+ I'd say most punters would be happy

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,688 ✭✭✭BrokenMan

No joy for me today either. Forrest blocking direct line of sight. Managed to get 29mb but the installer said they couldn't connect below 30.
    He did say they were testing at the best time of day and with heavier usage at peak times I wouldn't even get that.
    Guess I'll just have to stick with 3 for now until something better turns up.

BrokenMan wrote: »
    No joy for me today either. Forrest blocking direct line of sight. Managed to get 29mb but the installer said they couldn't connect below 30.
    He did say they were testing at the best time of day and with heavier usage at peak times I wouldn't even get that.
    29? Now that's hard to swallow!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Installers have just arrived to me. Looks like the hairy edge with 31 or 32 Megs. Ballina mast is just behind railway station. I am about 6 miles from the mast with not a lot in between me and the mast.

• Advertisement

29? Now that's hard to swallow!
    29 at 11 am though. Wouldn't be close to that at peak times. Happy enough to stay with 3. The speeds are OK it was the data cap that was driving me nuts. May just increase the plan I have with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

29 at 11 am though. Wouldn't be close to that at peak times. Happy enough to stay with 3. The speeds are OK it was the data cap that was driving me nuts. May just increase the plan I have with them.

WHereabouts in Galway are you

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 153 ✭✭imp1

Fail for me, high site is in view, but speeds varies between 20 and 36 so no go.

Nice to see them big enough to say no, rather than just lash it in anyway.

Installers are blaming the mast - Ballina - and hope to reschedule, so maybe all not lost yet, though the eircom €45 / month no limit with phone, inc vat, looks quite tempting, the 3 M we have works perfectly well for Netflix, real pain downloading big pdf's though

WHereabouts in Galway are you[/quote]

About 5 miles from monivea towards Loughrea

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,254 ✭✭✭✭km79

WHereabouts in Galway are you

About 5 miles from monivea towards Loughrea[/quote]

I'm in killimordalykiltullagh and I'm JUST outside their range at moment
    hoping they join one of the 2 masts near me soon

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

That is ****ing pathetic carry on by them.

They are now out of the running for the NBP so it doesn't matter to anyone if you are on 29Mbit connection. Also, if their network goes the way of the predecessors (Wimax or Ripwave for example), they won't be able to give you 29Mbit in the evenings anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

marno21 wrote: »
    That is ****ing pathetic carry on by them.

They are now out of the running for the NBP so it doesn't matter to anyone if you are on 29Mbit connection. Also, if their network goes the way of the predecessors (Wimax or Ripwave for example), they won't be able to give you 29Mbit in the evenings anyway.

Just a theory but they may plan on challenging the NBP legally in order to get their customers removed from state intervention. The 30Mb/s is an important figure as it is the minimum speed specified by the EU for NGA. Imagine may claim that the NBP is breaching state aid rules by intervening in areas where private enterprise has invested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Just a theory but they may plan on challenging the NBP legally in order to get their customers removed from state intervention. The 30Mb/s is an important figure as it is the minimum speed specified by the EU for NGA. Imagine may claim that the NBP is breaching state aid rules by intervening in areas where private enterprise has invested.
    yea but if imagine throttling people to 1mb for going over there 20Gb day cap then they really aren't supplying 30mb.I also don't think monopoly are allow since imagine the only wisp doing LTE the other wisp aren't yet so no competition.I hope imagine doesn't effect NBP because LTE not future proof just a lower version of VDSl.

rob808 wrote: »
    yea but if imagine throttling people to 1mb for going over there 20Gb day cap then they really aren't supplying 30mb.I also don't think monopoly are allow since imagine the only wisp doing LTE the other wisp aren't yet so no competition.I hope imagine doesn't effect NBP because LTE not future proof just a lower version of VDSl.
    This won't happen.

1. Imagine say they can cover 400 homes per site. How are these 400 homes picked to be removed from the map?

2. Imagine can't guarantee 30Mbit for the length of the day as they have a 20Gb daily cap which can be covered in a little over an hour. If you download 20Gb over the space of the 7am - 12am (daytime) capped usage period, you have an effective speed of 2.96Mbit

3. Imagine can't guarantee 30Mbit either due to the poor backhaul feeding the sites.

Ireland may be willing to accept pathetic contacts for their infrastructure, but the EU won't stand for it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

in order to get their customers removed from state intervention.

This is my biggest fear. I actually said it to the sales guy, but (being a sales guy), he assured me that availing of this will have no effect on my NBP intervention status. If they were to use the customer base they are building up now as a basis for removing them from the NBP, surely that would enrage a large portion of said customers?

Advertisement