Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Is there a map of the masts ?? I'm down in a valley as such wonder will it cause issues tomorrow

Not sure what direction the mast is from my house

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

I wonder if Vodafone is feeling a threat. Going by this thread, they now have a 150GB mobile broadband plan for €60/month, the same price as Imagine. It's not listed on their website yet, so would likely need to be ordered in-store like when Vodafone first introduced their 50GB plan last year.

So that might be an option for those with an unsuccessful installation such as where the Imagine installer could not obtain a signal or the minimum 30Mbps for installation, but where the location has decent 4G coverage on Vodafone.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

editorsean wrote: »
    I wonder if Vodafone is feeling a threat. Going by this thread, they now have a 150GB mobile broadband plan for €60/month, the same price as Imagine. It's not listed on their website yet, so would likely need to be ordered in-store like when Vodafone first introduced their 50GB plan last year.

So that might be an option for those with an unsuccessful installation such as where the Imagine installer could not obtain a signal or the minimum 30Mbps for installation, but where the location has decent 4G coverage on Vodafone.
    Looks like 2c/MB if you go over your allowance on that plan. Best Vodafone offer by far though.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

So in an effort to get both CCTV and a development server onto the internet past the firewall(s)

I managed to bypass the WN-600 altogether :cool:
    And to my horror I discover that its turtles all the way down sort of speak

Its the damn antennae on the roof which is hogging 192.168.1.1, and I presume its the antennae their support technicians login to and have remote access, which funilly enough seems to be Greenpacket branded as well

I done it by using splitter my previous wireless provider used for their antennae

here is how it looks like
    http://i.imgur.com/8xMmlvS.jpg

So on plus side the WN-600 is gone from the setup completely, on the negative side seems being able to port forward and/or set a computer into the DMZ etc is out of my hands, and no phone of course tho i can leave fine without that

here is what the antennae login page looks like
    http://i.imgur.com/xofT9GN.png

Edit: that Greenpacket with the above login page and hostname "CPE.lan" which i presume is the antenae at 192.168.1.1 is a linux machine it seems, can ssh to it but of course i dont know the password (tried few common ones but no luck). I think I leave it here, enough mucking about for the day, seems the purpose of the WN-600 is to power it via the external cable

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Request a static and be done with, no?

• Advertisement

ED E wrote: »
    Request a static and be done with, no?

Would have to do that eventually yes, but that still leaves the problem of the greenpacket antenae having NAT and me not having access to it to setup port forwarding or put a computer in the DMZ.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

df_h wrote: »
    Would have to do that eventually yes, but that still leaves the problem of the greenpacket antenae having NAT and me not having access to it to setup port forwarding or put a computer in the DMZ.

Nope, the whole point of the static is they bridge the modem(in the antenna) over to the device behind it, otherwise it'd be pointless. No double nat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

I have just signed up as they will be live in my area in September. Does anyone know if the telephone service they provide supports SMS ? Reason I am asking is that my alarm sends SMS if there is an issue. I asked the sales lady, but she didn't know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

I have just signed up as they will be live in my area in September. Does anyone know if the telephone service they provide supports SMS ? Reason I am asking is that my alarm sends SMS if there is an issue. I asked the sales lady, but she didn't know.

Are you aware Eircom discontinued SMS services on landlines in 2015. I'm assuming you use GSM?

ED E wrote: »
    Nope, the whole point of the static is they bridge the modem(in the antenna) over to the device behind it, otherwise it'd be pointless. No double nat.

EDIT: getting static ip address and port forwarding sorted out now, they said they cant bridge the antennae over

Have to say their tech support guys are great! Waiting on call back

edit: can ssh into development server from different network so portforwarding seems to be fine even with current dynamic ip address

so getting there :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Are you aware Eircom discontinued SMS services on landlines in 2015. I'm assuming you use GSM?

Haha - that explains I stopped getting SMS then..Thanks for that. One less thing to worry about so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 660 ✭✭✭popsy09

Installed today the installer got 88.9mb download and 7.61 upload

I'm getting about 50 ish on the speedtest on phone WiFi unbelievable difference

Very happy with speed let's see how it goes now for few days before I give verdict

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,920 ✭✭✭Grab All Association

Haha - that explains I stopped getting SMS then..Thanks for that. One less thing to worry about so.

They should have notified you and let you quit without penalty if in contract

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

df_h wrote: »
    So in an effort to get both CCTV and a development server onto the internet past the firewall(s)

I managed to bypass the WN-600 altogether :cool:
    And to my horror I discover that its turtles all the way down sort of speak

Its the damn antennae on the roof which is hogging 192.168.1.1, and I presume its the antennae their support technicians login to and have remote access, which funilly enough seems to be Greenpacket branded as well

I done it by using splitter my previous wireless provider used for their antennae

here is how it looks like
    http://i.imgur.com/8xMmlvS.jpg

So on plus side the WN-600 is gone from the setup completely, on the negative side seems being able to port forward and/or set a computer into the DMZ etc is out of my hands, and no phone of course tho i can leave fine without that

here is what the antennae login page looks like
    http://i.imgur.com/xofT9GN.png

Edit: that Greenpacket with the above login page and hostname "CPE.lan" which i presume is the antenae at 192.168.1.1 is a linux machine it seems, can ssh to it but of course i dont know the password (tried few common ones but no luck). I think I leave it here, enough mucking about for the day, seems the purpose of the WN-600 is to power it via the external cable

How is that splitter working exactly or is it a POE injector? Cant see where the 3rd cable from the splitter is going. taking power from the WN-600 and sending the just the signal to the Asus router or what is the spec of the external supply (risk of frying external antenna??)
    Wouldnt mind getting one of those splitters for myself, got a link to one?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Scruff wrote: »
    How is that splitter working exactly or is it a POE injector? Cant see where the 3rd cable from the splitter is going. taking power from the WN-600 and sending the just the signal to the Asus router or what is the spec of the external supply (risk of frying external antenna??)
    Wouldnt mind getting one of those splitters for myself, got a link to one?

Looks like a PoE injector. I got one of these when my original ISP-supplied one failed. I don't know if it will work with whatever Imagine use, but it might be worth a shot.

They have 48v PoE adapters too.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Anyone thinking of plugging random PoE injectors into an expensive LTE receiver: how sympathetic do you think tech support are going to be when you let the magic smoke out?

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I don't think anyone was suggesting that. It was discussed earlier in the thread (in the context of the purpose of the WN-600). The risks are obvious, and I certainly would only attempt it if I was sure that the device was compatible.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Will they install the modem to wherever you specify it? Have a network switch in attic so would rather it wasn't installed to the sitting room or somewhere stupid

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭gally

Yes they are very flexible.However I am only 1400 metres from the mast so signal strength was good everywhere.I had the router put in the attic and used a powerlink to the desktop PC. I specified a static IP address and port forwarding for our CCTV.
    The best I ever saw with Vodafone was 850Kbps.This actually was no problem for smartphone CCTV viewing but was slow,very,otherwise.
    To have up to 60Meg is fantastic.
    The port forwarding was problematic-I had done my own on the Vodafone(Huawei) modem no problem.
    Tech support were excellent and after a lot of setting and resetting, all, inc. phone is working fine.
    It was described as "!lifechanging" by my young son in law!
    p.s Mylane near Ballincollig is my mast.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Anyone thinking of plugging random PoE injectors into an expensive LTE receiver: how sympathetic do you think tech support are going to be when you let the magic smoke out?

:pac:

Correct in hindsight I hope no one else gets carried away and causes damage. What I done first was to plug my old wireless provider cat cable into the wn600 it ran their antenna fine and I can use old connection as secondary Internet in house, i have to keep paying them for while longer due to contract so didn't mind hacking about.

Wn600 adapter outputs 12v 1.5a while the old no brand splitter outputs 12v 1a.

So far no problems but yes I see how most PoE injectors might fry the antenna.

I have to say again Imagines tech support is top notch, they have been very helpful today in accommodating me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

Does anyone know what mast the LTE signal is coming from for Castletownroche in North Cork? Is it the one in Kildorrery?

Ok I switched back to using the wn600 in bridged mode and to power the antennae, no point risking under/overpowering the unit and potentially causing damage.

Once again tech support are top notch, they got me static ip address as requested, and forwarded the correct ports so cctv works, can ssh in to dev server, and xbox live too.

Will wait for their voip android app to come out to use the phone number, not a priority, call prices are not clear either.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Deryk

Hello! im so pleased i came across this thread,

I have signed up to Imagine about a month and a half ago, took my €100, The customer service guy was extremely nice, even gave me the number direct to him at Imagine if i have any problems or questions, Im in Clare, Urlanmore Newmarket on Fergus, to be exact and was told il be connected to the BEN DASH HIGHSITE which according to google is 18.14 (11.27 miles) which is going live in August, still haven't got a install date or anything he said i would get at least 30 speed and didn't really give me the feeling that they wouldn't be able to install for the lack of that speed so it was good to find that out, theres a lot of trees lining the road and the entrance to my driveway, and the house is on a hill so I'm hoping il get a good enough signal for them to install... i was just wondering anyone else is on the BEN DASH site and if they have been given a install date yet?
    Was also really good to see they do try contact you about a call to install... though i would like to know when the site goes live which is proving impossible to find out..
    My husband and i are living in Ireland for the year having moved from the uk where we got 200meg, so it been quite a shock to now be on 1.71 from Eir, with 6 months to go it would be good for both of us to be online at the same time,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Deryk wrote: »
    Hello! im so pleased i came across this thread,

I have signed up to Imagine about a month and a half ago, took my €100, The customer service guy was extremely nice, even gave me the number direct to him at Imagine if i have any problems or questions, Im in Clare, Urlanmore Newmarket on Fergus, to be exact and was told il be connected to the BEN DASH HIGHSITE which according to google is 18.14 (11.27 miles) which is going live in August, still haven't got a install date or anything he said i would get at least 30 speed and didn't really give me the feeling that they wouldn't be able to install for the lack of that speed so it was good to find that out, theres a lot of trees lining the road and the entrance to my driveway, and the house is on a hill so I'm hoping il get a good enough signal for them to install... i was just wondering anyone else is on the BEN DASH site and if they have been given a install date yet?
    Was also really good to see they do try contact you about a call to install... though i would like to know when the site goes live which is proving impossible to find out..
    My husband and i are living in Ireland for the year having moved from the uk where we got 200meg, so it been quite a shock to now be on 1.71 from Eir, with 6 months to go it would be good for both of us to be online at the same time,

If you want to find out when it will go live, message them on Facebook and their reps on facebook will return the message to you.

Then, I was told I'd be installed within two weeks after the site goes live.

My mast goes live on the 2nd of August. Mount Oriel in Louth.

• Registered Users Posts: 505 ✭✭✭kazoo106

Believe me - you will not be getting anything on Mount Oriel until on or after Aug 17th

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

It looks like Imagine will not be coming my way (Co. Donegal) for the foreseeable future...
    http://www.highlandradio.com/2016/07/22/imagine-says-broadband-plans-for-west-donegal-are-on-hold-due-to-low-uptake/

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

kazoo106 wrote: »
    Believe me - you will not be getting anything on Mount Oriel until on or after Aug 17th

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

kazoo106 wrote: »

Yeah that's about what I was expecting anyway. Site goes live on the 2nd and rep said I'd be installed within 2 weeks, so I would be thinking in and around then anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

Just wondering if there is anyway to pay imagine small payments in advance of bill so account is in credit. I used to pay weekly amounts to my three broadband account and found it less of a shock to my finances when the monthly bills came out

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

irishchris wrote: »
    Just wondering if there is anyway to pay imagine small payments in advance of bill so account is in credit. I used to pay weekly amounts to my three broadband account and found it less of a shock to my finances when the monthly bills came out

Phone them and ask.

Would be easier if you just managed your money better, its not much really.

Advertisement