Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Deryk

And they have left! First speed test is 86.41

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

Deryk wrote: »
    And they have left! First speed test is 86.41
    Excellent! Delighted for you. Would you mind posting how evening speeds are later if possible

94.49 now... I'm on my iPhone, not sure how to post pics?...

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

oscarBravo wrote: »
    Ugh, over-water links. Keep an eye out for throughput varying with the tide...

Yes, tidal paths can cause variation in signal in phase with the tide. And the installers likely won't know that.

94.49 now... I'm on my iPhone, not sure how to post pics?...
    Jeez that's good if they are wireless speeds.. What brand router did they install?

• Advertisement

They are wireless speeds.. I have screen shots on my phone.. Just don't see how to post for you guys...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

They are wireless speeds.. I have screen shots on my phone.. Just don't see how to post for you guys...

Are you accessing boards on your phone?

If so then just attach the pics as files.

I'm not sure I understand / see anywhere to attach anything... I'm not stupid just don't see it...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 891 ✭✭✭redfacedbear

Your postcount is too low to let you post pics - think you have to have 50+ posts before they'll let you.

Your postcount is too low to let you post pics - think you have to have 50+ posts before they'll let you.

Ah - well spotted!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Maybe post a link to the speed test results?

Nice result ...... wish I had that speed!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

So here's a question for the radio engineering types among us.

Below is my view of the mast Imagine will use for this area. I am 5km as the crow flies. The question is whether the branches of the large ash tree will cause me issues.

I am trying to decide whether it is worth proactively removing some branches from the tree, but it is a tall tree, so not a trivial job.

This is the view from the chimney towards the mast.

This is the zoomed in view of the mast from the same point.

I'm not sure how clear it is in the pictures, but the mast is clearly visible, but it's closely surrounded by vegetation...

Sure! I have no problem doing speed test later! Any time you want me to give it a go?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

People are interested in peak time tests (say between 7pm and 10pm) to see how a higher load on the mast affects performance.
    For instance, I typically get between 70 and 82 Mbps off peak and between 50 and 70 Mbps around 8pm - Speed History.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dero wrote: »
    So here's a question for the radio engineering types among us.

Below is my view of the mast Imagine will use for this area. I am 5km as the crow flies. The question is whether the branches of the large ash tree will cause me issues.

I am trying to decide whether it is worth proactively removing some branches from the tree, but it is a tall tree, so not a trivial job.

This is the view from the chimney towards the mast.

This is the zoomed in view of the mast from the same point.

I'm not sure how clear it is in the pictures, but the mast is clearly visible, but it's closely surrounded by vegetation...

Can you estimate your distance from the trees?

Can you estimate your distance from the trees?

About ten metres I'd say. It's really just one tree in the corner of the garden. Free space after that, with the mast clearly visible.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,817 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Dero wrote: »
    About ten metres I'd say. It's really just one tree in the corner of the garden. Free space after that, with the mast clearly visible.

Well, a quick Fresnel zone calculation indicates that you need about a 2m wide gap - that is, a 1m radius around the line-of-sight path - to be reasonably free from multipath concerns.

It should be OK, but if it were me and if I could reach the offending branches with a telescopic lopper from the ground, I'd probably trim them.

Thanks oscarBravo, that's exactly what I needed to know. :-)

morgana wrote: »
    People are interested in peak time tests (say between 7pm and 10pm) to see how a higher load on the mast affects performance.
    For instance, I typically get between 70 and 82 Mbps off peak and between 50 and 70 Mbps around 8pm.

Sure! il test again at 8pm and post my results!

This is a new mast so will take a while until it has filled its capacity I reckon.

N-o-F village now has FTTC active since 20th Jul so that might take some potential users out of the equation.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

irishchris wrote: »
    You seem to have serious chip on your shoulder there mate or are just agressive in nature?
    Anyway as another poster pointed out I requested it to be put upstairs where all my cat 5 cables were routed to from all the rooms when I built this house. However they would not and said it could not be ran as wouldn't work with that length of cable so was placed in conservatory even though I pointed out I was not happy with this as was useless to me there. rang and complained that was not happy with this and customer support were excellent and agreed and same (terror ) installer came a second time and cable was placed to upstairs so that original excuse that it wouldn't work that distance was not true.
    However they still did an inadequate job of getting strongest signal and a different professional installer came and spent few hours placing antenna on chimney getting an excellent signal and also providing new equipment. Also this original installer told me he couldn't go on roof even though another had no problem doing so even though it was raining.
    All in all delighted now with service. And would advise anyone here who is not happy with their service/install to contact imagine as their customer support really is excellent.

Nothing aggressive about my post. If you find it so, then that's you just being sensitive because you made up some whopper about your wife and then were caught out.

I don't care anyway, mine is up and it's good, same as yours.

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

I signed up Imagine & paid the €100 yesterday. They expect to start installing in the area by early September.

The sales rep told me 60 places were left on the Rossmore mast I would be getting my signal from. Considering they only recently started advertising in the area (Carlow & South Kildare), I don't know if it was to push the sale or the demand is there in the area.

My current Wireless ISP signal comes from the same mast, so hopefully I don't have any problems with Imagine signal.

I was just wondering if they have a way for you to check your daily usage to see what you have left?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

No. You can use Networx to get an idea of your usage.

morgana wrote: »
    No. You can use Networx to get an idea of your usage.

seems you would need to have this on each device accessing the internet ...... phones, tablets, PCs, HTPC etc etc. .... and it is only available for Windows.
    It doesn't seem very practical to me.

irishchris wrote: »
    You seem to have serious chip on your shoulder there mate or are just agressive in nature?
    Anyway as another poster pointed out I requested it to be put upstairs where all my cat 5 cables were routed to from all the rooms when I built this house. However they would not and said it could not be ran as wouldn't work with that length of cable so was placed in conservatory even though I pointed out I was not happy with this as was useless to me there. rang and complained that was not happy with this and customer support were excellent and agreed and same (terror ) installer came a second time and cable was placed to upstairs so that original excuse that it wouldn't work that distance was not true.
    However they still did an inadequate job of getting strongest signal and a different professional installer came and spent few hours placing antenna on chimney getting an excellent signal and also providing new equipment. Also this original installer told me he couldn't go on roof even though another had no problem doing so even though it was raining.
    All in all delighted now with service. And would advise anyone here who is not happy with their service/install to contact imagine as their customer support really is excellent.

Nothing aggressive about my post. If you find it so, then that's you just being sensitive because you made up some whopper about your wife and then were caught out.

I don't care anyway, mine is up and it's good, same as yours.
    Lol don't think am the sensitive type :-)

Where is this whopper lie about my wife you keep speaking of?

Simple fact is imagine installer made amateur job of installing and the qualified professional installer who came on 3rd visit brought my speeds from 10-40 up to 50-90 and am delighted at this service.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Well, a quick Fresnel zone calculation indicates that you need about a 2m wide gap - that is, a 1m radius around the line-of-sight path - to be reasonably free from multipath concerns.

It should be OK, but if it were me and if I could reach the offending branches with a telescopic lopper from the ground, I'd probably trim them.

I'd more or less agree, but I'd go further.

I'd lop the branches hanging from the tree in the foreground. They will ruin your day at 3.6GHz, especially when wet and moving in high winds.

Also, re the trees in the background, a tall pole will be needed or you'll be caught by them in a year or two.

K3v wrote: »
    I signed up Imagine & paid the €100 yesterday. They expect to start installing in the area by early September.

The sales rep told me 60 places were left on the Rossmore mast I would be getting my signal from. Considering they only recently started advertising in the area (Carlow & South Kildare), I don't know if it was to push the sale or the demand is there in the area.

My current Wireless ISP signal comes from the same mast, so hopefully I don't have any problems with Imagine signal.

Does anybody else think it's odd that the sales reps are saying there's X number of places left on a not-live mast? After all they won't be able to tell who can get the service until the installer shows up and does a signal test.

For example a 10% failed install figure would mean there's 40 places that would be still available.

This is a new mast so will take a while until it has filled its capacity I reckon.

N-o-F village now has FTTC active since 20th Jul so that might take some potential users out of the equation.

It isn't actually live yet... Half the village is but the second half isn't.. And when I called they said sometimes by next year.. Which is what they told me 8 months ago

• Advertisement

It isn't actually live yet... Half the village is but the second half isn't.. And when I called they said sometimes by next year.. Which is what they told me 8 months ago

The cabinets in the village are marked to go live 20th July (including the one near Carrigoran)
    http://fibrerollout.ie/where-and-when/
    although cab 2 does not mention 20th.

Usually I think they are available for connection about a month afterwards.
    I guess time will tell ;)

Oh yes, those lines fed directly from the exchange already had improvement in connection apparently.

Advertisement