Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

Just a quick question please. Signs along the N68 between Ennis and Kilrush state that Imagine is available in the area. I'm 5 miles or so from Lissycasey. How do you tell where the local mast is? I checked the ComReg Siteviewer but can't see any masts operated by Imagine. Plenty for Voda, Three etc. We're under contract with Three with the 60Gb a month package but want to keep an eye on what's available in the area in order to be fully informed when the contract expires.

Many thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Just a quick question please. Signs along the N68 between Ennis and Kilrush state that Imagine is available in the area. I'm 5 miles or so from Lissycasey. How do you tell where the local mast is? I checked the ComReg Siteviewer but can't see any masts operated by Imagine. Plenty for Voda, Three etc. We're under contract with Three with the 60Gb a month package but want to keep an eye on what's available in the area in order to be fully informed when the contract expires.

Many thanks

You can ring them, give them your eircode and they'll tell you where the mast serving your area is.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

shaunr68 wrote: »

Many thanks

There's a mast on Ben Dash mountain, where poster Deryk is receiving from, which would be where the signs along the N68 are referring to

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Deryk

marno21 wrote: »
    There's a mast on Ben Dash mountain, where poster Deryk is receiving from, which would be where the signs along the N68 are referring to

That's exactly right! Ben dash would be yours!

@unclesam ok il go try this now!

• Registered Users Posts: 36 Deryk

Ok I got some pics, they don't really do the tree height justice though , also some speed tests

rainbowdel . Imgur . com

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Hi guys,

Ready to place an order for this - don't think i'm going to have a problem with signal.
    Any of you using IP phone with it - having transferred the number from Eir or the likes? If so, how's it working out for you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Ordered today, will be using Kilcullen mast.. Guy said some 140 slots have been provisionally booked on it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

, ,
    jayo99 wrote: »
    Ordered today, will be using Kilcullen mast.. Guy said some 140 slots have been provisionally booked on it.

Am in Calverstown , probably using same mast, but we are down in a hollow with quite a lot of trees around the place so am not too hopeful, if the signal was coming from other direction I would be more hopeful , I signed up about 3 weeks ago, so it will be near end of August before I hear more
    Keep in contact

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

Anyone here waiting on the Mount Oriel mast in Louth to go live?? Anyone have any idea when it's due to go live? Thanks..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I posted this on the Mayo boards but someone suggested it might be useful here too.

I am in North East Mayo, and have just swapped from Eir to Imagine using the newly live Ballina mast. I am 10k away from the mast which is down lower in the valley and although I don't have line of sight there are no big obstructions in the way. The local exchange is, according to the Eir engineers, a total shambles with no plans to upgrade it in the immediate future. We frequently have outages... especially in bad weather.

I have averaged about 90 meg since the change. Here's some tests I have done since the fitting.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=55dd273744b97f6a4166d698813e5e41&ria=0

No complaints from me although I need to do some evening tests. The only issue I have encountered is that Youtube won't run properly on my laptop. No idea why. That aside I am a happy camper so far especially as I got the price increase letter from Eir on the day of the fitting last week! As an additional bonus my wireless home phone handset now works across the paddock to where I have a workshop. Yippee!

The Imagine service is faster, cheaper and their customer service cannot be any worse than Eir's, the worst I have ever had the misfortune to deal with.

TT

• Advertisement

, ,

Am in Calverstown , probably using same mast, but we are down in a hollow with quite a lot of trees around the place so am not too hopeful, if the signal was coming from other direction I would be more hopeful , I signed up about 3 weeks ago, so it will be near end of August before I hear more
    Keep in contact

Ha Robert, I'm the other side of the hill (kildare side) so I'm also hopeful :)
    Calverstown really has been left out in the cold when it comes to BB. The hils don't help either tho :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

jayo99 wrote: »
    Ha Robert, I'm the other side of the hill (kildare side) so I'm also hopeful :)
    Calverstown really has been left out in the cold when it comes to BB. The hils don't help either tho :/

Not to derail the thread, but on the subject of Calverstown and hills...

Back about ten years ago when I first got set up with wireless broadband with a previous incarnation of Ripplecom (Callidus Telecom), they were looking for new sites so I sent them to enquire about Carraig hill. The landowner was apparently a combination of hostile and greedy; wanted €10k p/a for access to the hill. They said they were paying €8k p/a at the time for a fully serviced co-lo space on the mast at Windmill Hill (Near Rathcoole). Needless to say nothing more ever came of that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 171 ✭✭SucCes09

Just wanted to add a note about my experience - was with Eir(com), broadband was getting progressively worse over time - expect it is related to kids in the area growing up and using more of the limited bandwidth. We are on the "schedule" for the rural broadband scheme, but could not get any dates for it... Saw some information on this and other sites about Imagine being in my area, checked it out, and signed up last Wednesday. On Tuesday of this week it got fitted, and service is great. I am going from a service of getting less than 1 MB download to getting in excess of 85MB down, and 7\8MB up. Added fixed\static IP address (at no extra cost), house phone ported over, etc.
    Guy who done the installation were excellent - really clean job, put the router where the Eircom router was, so no rewiring needed.
    I spent the day yesterday with various tests, didn't loose a packet, no drops, average ping times of 30ms.
    No longer shouting at kids to turn off you tube while other kids are trying to play the Xbox...

FYI - tower is in Abbeyknockmoy, I live in Corofin - 5km distance.

SucCes09 wrote: »
    Just wanted to add a note about my experience - was with Eir(com), broadband was getting progressively worse over time - expect it is related to kids in the area growing up and using more of the limited bandwidth. We are on the "schedule" for the rural broadband scheme, but could not get any dates for it... Saw some information on this and other sites about Imagine being in my area, checked it out, and signed up last Wednesday. On Tuesday of this week it got fitted, and service is great. I am going from a service of getting less than 1 MB download to getting in excess of 85MB down, and 7\8MB up. Added fixed\static IP address (at no extra cost), house phone ported over, etc.
    Guy who done the installation were excellent - really clean job, put the router where the Eircom router was, so no rewiring needed.
    I spent the day yesterday with various tests, didn't loose a packet, no drops, average ping times of 30ms.
    No longer shouting at kids to turn off you tube while other kids are trying to play the Xbox...

FYI - tower is in Abbeyknockmoy, I live in Corofin - 5km distance.

Yep this is pretty much my experience..
    My last post to the eir board (http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057623711) wasn't even answered.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

opengoal wrote: »
    Anyone here waiting on the Mount Oriel mast in Louth to go live?? Anyone have any idea when it's due to go live? Thanks..

Yeah im waiting on that mast myself. I was told it's going live on the 2nd of August by the rep on Facebook, and then he told me it was delayed, told me to call them so i did and was told it's still on track so I dunno. I'm expecting the end of August/September before its live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Think they just did an SMS and email blast - maybe just for the Kilcullen mast folks.

GREAT NEWS... LTE Fibre Speed Broadband coverage has now been extended in your area, to secure your place on the LTE Network call us on 1890 929918. Thanks Imagine LTE

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Just had a quick scan of this thread. Signs have only gone up in our area in the last day or two - mast will be in Rathmore, Co.Meath. Think I'll sign up tomorrow. Have a dongle out the window from idmobile but think that's a month to month jobby. If this works I know one teenager who will be so happy that he can finally get an xbox! Maybe I should wait till he's finished school...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

brcwatters wrote: »
    Just had a quick scan of this thread. Signs have only gone up in our area in the last day or two - mast will be in Rathmore, Co.Meath. Think I'll sign up tomorrow. Have a dongle out the window from idmobile but think that's a month to month jobby. If this works I know one teenager who will be so happy that he can finally get an xbox! Maybe I should wait till he's finished school...

Well if your waiting for landline fibre broadband, he may have got a degree

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

i signed up today . have to wait and see now what its like . sounds good from all the people here though

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

brcwatters wrote: »

Well if your waiting for landline fibre broadband, he may have got a degree
    Yep, I also saw the Rathmore sign (and one at Fordstown two days ago). I signed up straight away... it'll be brilliant if it gives the specs they say it gives (and most people on this chat room thread says they do). The sales guy says its going up in the Jamestown Bog, which is near Rathmore. There is already a Three mobile (and NarrowBand!!) trasmitter there already, and another Vodafone transmitter in another part of the bog in Bohermeen. The sales guy says it goes live via the Jamestown Bog transmitter at the end of September.

• Advertisement

I'd better call them up today - can you imagine if you left it too long and didn't get in. Which of course is what they're banking on I'd say, people going oh, better sign up or I might miss it.

Imagine say to keep congestion down, the numbers are limited to 400. I asked the Sales Admin person, but he really didn't know the answer to my question to the following guestion. If the radius of transmission of the Imagine LTE transmitter is say, 15km (30km diameter), then over what geographical area is this 'limit of 400 users'?

The Jamestown Trasmitter will cover, in addition to the countryside, the towns of Trim, Kells and Navan at least (and they are targeting the towns as they now have a big sign up at the football pitch in Kells town itself).

Does anyone know the answer to the question of what size of geographical area this 400 household limit applies?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

9726 did you say it was omni? In that case it'd be 400/entire 20km ring.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Goreme wrote: »

Does anyone know the answer to the question of what size of geographical area this 400 household limit applies?

Isn't that just a matter of calculus. What is the area of a 13k radius circle?

TT

TopTec wrote: »

TT
    Surely it can't be 400 households for the 13/15km radius? There must be 35 thousand potential households in that are of the Jamestown transmitter in Meath (since Imagine seem to be targetting these urban areas too). If it was limited to 400 households, the income would be limited to 60 euro x 400, just E24,000 per month for that one transmitter. Is E24k enough to cover the cost of installing, maintaining and powering that transmitter?

TT
    --

TT
    --

TT
    Surely it can't be 400 households for the 13/15km radius? There must be 35 thousand potential households in that are of the Jamestown transmitter in Meath. If it was limited to 400 households, the income would be limited to 60 euro x 400, just E24,000 per month for that one transmitter. Is E24k enough to cover the cost of installing, maintaining and powering that transmitter?
    (I know most of the urban potential customers have broadband availability already, but Imagine seem to be targetting these urban customers on this LTE also.)

Just signed up. He says it could wll be sooner than end September.

Selfishly hoping that they do stick to the 400 but yes, it does seem very little. I know a lot of people in Navan/Trim/Kells have proper fibre etc but there are probably 80 households in my kids' school alone that are on dongles or such like and that's a small enough area.

• Registered Users Posts: 71 ✭✭joy123

Just sign up for BB with imagine LTE. Does anybody know what router they provide? Thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

joy123 wrote: »
    Just sign up for BB with imagine LTE. Does anybody know what router they provide? Thanks.

generally the greenpacket one which is not brilliant or else the gemtek which is really just an ap with the router built into the antenna

Struggling to get ports open here for applications that need it. infairness to tech support they are brilliant but although they have placed my own router ip into the dmz in the antenna it still will not open ports unfortunately

anyone have any joy with port forwarding on imagine?

Advertisement