Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

Told by the sales team and the installer that if you want to download big files like games do it after 12am to 7am as this does not count to the daily cap -> BullS***T, got cut back to under 1Mbps at 9 in the morning LIES LIES LIES they say anything to sign you up because I was not going to until they told me this, and when I asked how much they cut you back by was told by their sale team that they ONLY cut you back a bit if you go over the daily cap.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    Told by the sales team and the installer that if you want to download big files like games do it after 12am to 7am as this does not count to the daily cap -> BullS***T, got cut back to under 1Mbps at 9 in the morning LIES LIES LIES they say anything to sign you up because I was not going to until they told me this, and when I asked how much they cut you back by was told by their sale team that they ONLY cut you back a bit if you go over the daily cap.

Best ring them every time this happens and complain also ask how much data was used since you are not given any information by them as to your usage.

If enough people do this they might eventually bring out usage graphs/logs and clarify the position on the cap, right now too much conflicting reports.

At the end of the day we are the ones paying them, so they better get their act together.

I downloaded 85GB in middle of night few weeks back as a test, and then several dozen GB xboxone updates in middle of night, had no issues so far.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I got a feeling they changed this recently as I was barely above / at the cap with an after midnight download and got throttled with the High Usage mail stating
    We have noticed that your upload and download usage has exceeded the daily 20Gb limit on a number of occasions recently.
    We are sending this message as a warning that if you continue to exceed the agreed daily usage limit of 20Gb a day, we will slow your speeds down.
    and a few hours later after minimal use the Throttling notification
    We have recently sent you warnings regarding the high data usage on your account. Despite these warnings, your usage has continued at a high level, exceeding the 20Gb daily usage limit.

And this was the only time I went over the limit, no way did I exceed the cap on a number of occasions. I queried that part with them and they merely gave me the tower log of the incident but not any other occasion I may have gone over:
    272420000000288 19.6709 1.3103 Towercom Bweeng 20.9812 Rate limit

Maybe repeat your test (on a day where potential throttling wont affect you :P)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

When I get installed I'm gonna download a big game after midnight straight away. If I get throttled I'll be on the phone as soon as their lines are open.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I wonder does it depend on which mast you're on, or more specifically, the amount of data being pushed through the mast you're connected to?

Seems a bit unclear and arbitrary in any case. They shouldn't throttle you without details of your traffic. Moreover, it's also unfair to throttle you based on data that only they can see. We could measure our own data, but that's a guideline only; you can only make an informed decision based on the official data.

• Advertisement

If they have changed their policy then it is concerning since i was hoping to leave a cronjob running in middle of night downloading a copy of backups 2-8GB a night

Rest of my usage is not particularly heavy, tho rest of family do love streaming.

But yes they should really clarify this whole situation

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

Wing126 wrote: »
    When I get installed I'm gonna download a big game after midnight straight away. If I get throttled I'll be on the phone as soon as their lines are open.

Why ? They clearly say that the daily limit is 20GB, so the fact that they allow anything beyond that without charging OR blocking the connection seems fair enough to me.

Why ? They clearly say that the daily limit is 20GB, so the fact that they allow anything beyond that without charging OR blocking the connection seems fair enough to me.

Actually they clearly told me when I asked both at signup and subsequent support chats (i think they record all phonecalls) that between midnight and 7 am there is no cap, 20GB for the rest of the day

In a day and age when a typical steam game comes in at 50GB and likes of battlefront on xbox update every week with a 12GB patch and then there is HD streaming on netflix etc...

Decent Skin, the issue is not the cap but the uncertainty of the situation with downloads in the period from midnight to 7 am. Some Imagine reps stated categorically that it doesn't count towards your cap, whereas recent experience seems to indicate otherwise, or at least a much more rigid interpretation of their T&Cs:
    t's not the intention to restrict user's enjoyment of the service including downloading
    games as may be required on an occasional basis. At imagines discretion, occasional usage above your
    daily limit and during the hours of 12am to 7am will be allowed.

So there is a definite need for more clarification of this issue.

morgana wrote: »
    Decent Skin, the issue is not the cap but the uncertainty of the situation with downloads in the period from midnight to 7 am. Some Imagine reps stated categorically that it doesn't count towards your cap, whereas recent experience seems to indicate otherwise, or at least a much more rigid interpretation of their T&Cs:

So there is a definite need for more clarification of this issue.

"At imagines discretion....."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Maybe I'm cynical but this is probably inevitable. As each site climbs towards the 400Mb mark they'll discover just how high average usage patterns will be and how little is to go around.

Yes that is the problem.
    My experience would indicate there is no allowance made. To my knowledge this was the first time since I got installed about 6 months ago that I went over.
    Large (game) downloads do happen, and this uncertainty means you have to either stop them or time them very carefully (which if fine most of the time, however, but it would be much better if you could work with say few guaranteed "overs" a month).

For an overall light user (say a gamer) who just needs a few big transfers per month Vodafone 4G is now a much more appetising option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Sounds completely deceptive to me with no method to check usage in place. What a shower of amateurs.

morgana wrote: »
    Decent Skin, the issue is not the cap but the uncertainty of the situation with downloads in the period from midnight to 7 am. Some Imagine reps stated categorically that it doesn't count towards your cap.
    df_h wrote: »
    Actually they clearly told me when I asked both at signup and subsequent support chats (i think they record all phonecalls) that between midnight and 7 am there is no cap, 20GB for the rest of the day

In a day and age when a typical steam game comes in at 50GB and likes of battlefront on xbox update every week with a 12GB patch and then there is HD streaming on netflix etc...

I was also sold on the idea that between midnight and 7 I can download as much as I want. Whereas when I pointed out that the TOS' says "at imagine's discretion", the rep shushed off the idea saying that "I won't have to worry about that as it's only a problem if you're constantly doing it".

So I want to know if I have the ability to download between those hours when needed or not.

ED E wrote: »
    For an overall light user (say a gamer) who just needs a few big transfers per month Vodafone 4G is now a much more appetising option.

How so ? Vodafone's limit is 30 or 50 gig per month.

Whatever about the saving for the 30 gig package, I'm not sure how paying roughly the same amount for one-tenth of the download limit would make sense ?

And if people are hitting their 20 gig per day limit and debating the extra, how is 30 gig a month any good to them ?

I was also sold on the idea that between midnight and 7 I can download as much as I want. Whereas when I pointed out that the TOS' says "at imagine's discretion", the rep shushed off the idea saying that "I won't have to worry about that as it's only a problem if you're constantly doing it".

So I want to know if I have the ability to download between those hours when needed or not.

To me it makes perfect sense; how often do you think it will be "when needed" ?

If it's once or twice a month then I'd find that perfectly fair, but if you go over that then you're edging into the "discretion".

Makes perfect sense to me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Three do all you can eat packages.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

To me it makes perfect sense; how often do you think it will be "when needed" ?

If it's once or twice a month then I'd find that perfectly fair, but if you go over that then you're edging into the "discretion".

Makes perfect sense to me!

If it worked like that, then yes, that would be fine.

However, (and Morgana can correct me here if I'm wrong) when Morgana went over once in six months, she was immediately throttled and labeled a persistent offender for want of a better term.

Not a lot of discretion there.

Yes, exactly. I have not gone over *to my knowledge* before - or if, that would have been a few months ago. I don't have records going back far as my router resets its traffic log with any reset / power outage. And I was only over a tiny amount when the throttling happened.
    I certainly don't download large files exceeding the cap often - this would be very much the exception, i.e. exactly the kind of use stipulated in their T&Cs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

Quick note on the daily cap, the upload is included in the download daily cap just to let people know got an email confirming this morning.

Whatever about the saving for the 30 gig package, I'm not sure how paying roughly the same amount for one-tenth of the download limit would make sense ?

And if people are hitting their 20 gig per day limit and debating the extra, how is 30 gig a month any good to them ?
    Three do all you can eat packages.

http://www.boards.ie/ttfthread/2057622869

150GB now available, portable and no drilling into the premises. For some thats a better proposition.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

ED E wrote: »

As I understand it Vodafone 4g is 30e for 30g ,50e for 50g, 100e for 100g etc per month, that would make broadband prohibitively expensive if you are gaming a lot, I think 3 mobile is unlimited

Read the link I just posted. Its 150/€60.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 555 ✭✭✭shaunr68

As I understand it Vodafone 4g is 30e for 30g ,50e for 50g, 100e for 100g etc per month, that would make broadband prohibitively expensive if you are gaming a lot, I think 3 mobile is unlimited

Vodafone now offering 150GB for €60, see link in previous post.

Three aren't unlimited, I wish it were, I'm with 3 at the moment. Bill pay from 12.99 - 69.99 per month, top priced package is for 250GB

http://www.three.ie/eshop/broadband-plans/bill-pay-broadband/

There is an all you can eat data package available on pre pay but I'm pretty sure it is for mobile phone use and not the T&Cs prohibit tethering or using with a modem

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/

It seems you have to call Vodafone for new offers as they don't post them on their website

shaunr68 wrote: »
    Vodafone now offering 150GB for €60, see link in previous post.

Three aren't unlimited, I wish it were, I'm with 3 at the moment. Bill pay from 12.99 - 69.99 per month, top priced package is for 250GB

http://www.three.ie/eshop/broadband-plans/bill-pay-broadband/

There is an all you can eat data package available on pre pay but I'm pretty sure it is for mobile phone use and not the T&Cs prohibit tethering or using with a modem

http://www.three.ie/terms-conditions/services/all-you-can-eat-data-terms-conditions/

Thanks for that info , I hope I don't have to go that route, I will know hopefully by the end of the if I can get connected to imagine lte - keeping fingers crossed

With Three, the T's & C's do prohibit you from tethering/using it with a modem, but there's nothing actually stopping you from doing so. It's one of the reason's Three's network is so overloaded, cause quite a lot of people are buying PAYG sim cards for exactly that reason.

With Three, the T's & C's do prohibit you from tethering/using it with a modem, but there's nothing actually stopping you from doing so. It's one of the reason's Three's network is so overloaded, cause quite a lot of people are buying PAYG sim cards for exactly that reason.

Am now locked into 18 month contract with Vodafone which if imagine works for me I will have to try and extract myself from, the only argument I have with them is that 4g drops to 3G quite a lot so it's not consistent

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

It seems you have to call Vodafone for new offers as they don't post them on their website

What's the term on the 150/€60 Vodafone contract do you know please?

Advertisement