Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

I'm pretty sure they would but for a lot of people it's imagine or 1-2mb dsl or even nothing at all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

Wing126 wrote: »
    If they're changing policies like this, does that mean they will need to release people from their contracts without penalty, or do they have themselves covered for this somehow?
    yea they would have to but don't think anyone would since there only LTE provider around.That until NBP start imagine know this and going to make as much money as they can.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

there is a huge difference between 20gig download limit during peak time with unlimited at night to 20 gig download limit per day 24/7 which the upload also eats into.

Very poor form by Imagine, takes the good out of the service. Really glad these cowboys are not getting any of the NBP contract.

As mentioned for some people it really is the only option but this 20gig per day limit really is restricting on what is a fast connection. Constantly monitoring your data allowance and dropping the quality of video streaming just to save on bandwidth takes away much of the joys/advantages of having a fast connection.What about those game downloads/updates? Will take 3 to 4 days to download a game in stages on Imagine LTE compared to an overnight job on classic ADSL.

Imagine will have to do better than this if they wanna stay in business once real fibre becomes more available in rural locations, if the night time unlimited cap is no more then maybe they should up the overall daily allowance to 40gigs per day, while not ideal its much more friendly for the light to medium user. Or else give customers the option of downloading roughly 600 gigs per month which is roughly 20 gigs x 30 days anyway.

I am with Vodafone getting about 30mb consistently. I got out of contract with them after they put up the prices and initially had thought about going with imagine. I'm in the Curragh and registered on their site some time ago.

Yesterday I got a phone call after two texts and emails saying it was available. The fella on the phone wasn't too happy when I said I wasn't interested cos the 20gb per day but he insisted it was for heavy users.

I have Sky, an iPad and iPhone and 4 android phones, also 2 win 10 laptops and a chrome book always connected to wifi. That doesn't include friends over or kids friends etc.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

guil wrote: »
    The fella on the phone wasn't too happy when I said I wasn't interested cos the 20gb per day but he insisted it was for heavy users.

I think they need a reality check! 20gb per day on an up to 80meg service is nothing. Lets take an average family in the countryside of 2 parents and 2 kids/teenagers.

All 4 will have mobile devices probably switched to imagine wifi eating into the allowance. The kids could have laptops also eating into the allowance. The parents will have laptops or a computer also eating into the allowance. There could easily be 1 or 2 gamers in the house downloading games and updates on steam or xbox live/psn or all 3 of them. Streaming services like Netflix and youtube are probably run daily by several family members. They could also have Sky on demand and be downloading/streaming tv shows or sky movies over their sky box also eating into the allowance. That leaves very little room for 4 people in a family to do anything other than limit it to about 1 movie/tv show per day each, maybe download 1 item over sky on demand and the rest is for gaming/browsing/patches- file updates etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Yesterday I got a phone call after two texts and emails saying it was available.

Woah, woah, hold up there a minute... Are you saying you got a call yesterday to say the service is available now in the Curragh? That would be the Old Kilcullen mast n'est pas? I didn't think that'd be live for a couple of weeks yet.

I have heard nothing yet myself, although I do believe one other here had a missed call from them.

Strange things are afoot...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭ussjtrunks

I'd love to know why 20gb though as novas limit is the same is there some restriction being imposed somewhere or are they just copying other fwa providers. Also yeah 20gb on a 80mb connection is a joke at full speed you could use that in a hour >.<

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Dero wrote: »
    Woah, woah, hold up there a minute... Are you saying you got a call yesterday to say the service is available now in the Curragh? That would be the Old Kilcullen mast n'est pas? I didn't think that'd be live for a couple of weeks yet.

I have heard nothing yet myself, although I do believe one other here had a missed call from them.

I think he might mean, it's available to register for the service

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Probably available now "for registering your place" or pre sale as they call it.
    Was on to them this morning (missed sales call most likely) and the latest was that it would still be a couple of weeks before the mast goes "really live" (my words, not his)

Ah, right. That make sense alright. Ah well. It'll be soon enough in any case.

• Advertisement

I didn't let him go far enough to get into when it goes live. These are the texts I received.

I am with Vodafone getting about 30mb consistently. I got out of contract with them after they put up the prices and initially had thought about going with imagine. I'm in the Curragh and registered on their site some time ago.

Yesterday I got a phone call after two texts and emails saying it was available. The fella on the phone wasn't too happy when I said I wasn't interested cos the 20gb per day but he insisted it was for heavy users.

I have Sky, an iPad and iPhone and 4 android phones, also 2 win 10 laptops and a chrome book always connected to wifi. That doesn't include friends over or kids friends etc.

Are you on the 4g dongle, because if you are I am certainly not getting a consistent 30 mb, it has gone as low as 2-3 mb in the evening

Are you on the 4g dongle, because if you are I am certainly not getting a consistent 30 mb, it has gone as low as 2-3 mb in the evening

Thankfully I'm in an area with VDSL.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im just off the phone to Imagine. I spoke to CS and they said the limit is 20GB per day. When I asked "What about between midnight and 7am?" I was placed on hold, and then CS said they would transfer me to tech support who would be better able to answer that question.

I then spoke to Sebastian in TS who stated the download limit was 20GB per day. When I again asked about midnight to 7am he said it is recorded from midnight to midnight.

I then explained to him what I and many of you have been told by CS. I told him I have the chat transcript etc and he apologised and asked me to forward it to ltesupport@imagine.ie. I explained I had already contacted them and they simply apologised and confirmed its 20GB per day. I explained that I was on to Comreg but they required that I first contact Imagine and give them an opportunity to deal with my complaint before they would take it further. So Sebastian said he would arrange for a call back for me in relation to this complaint.

I asked him if he had received other calls in relation to the midnight-7am download policy and he confirmed that they had and that it was currently being investigated.

My advice to anyone who has been told these lies, to get on the phone to Imagine asap and let them know you are unhappy and this should force some kind of change. Personally I think midnight is too early to start the unmetered download use, I would prefer it was 2am, as there are many people still using the internet at midnight. 5 hours unlimited each day would be a major step, but that's just my opinion. I find 20GB per day crippling if I cannot download large chunks of data without penalty.

I am very annoyed, but not surprised. You can see from my previous posts about the lies and BS and that comes from my sales background. I know what they are like at all utility providers, its all about getting you to sign up and hope that the fallout from the lies is small and manageable. Its just economics to them. However this lie is way too big, it literally transforms the product into something much less than what it was and that is not something I will accept laying down. Now we need all of you to do the same, Imagine are small enough to be impacted by this and m,any complaints to Comreg if they don't do something will have an effect.

Im just off the phone to Imagine. I spoke to CS and they said the limit is 20GB per day. When I asked "What about between midnight and 7am?" I was placed on hold, and then CS said they would transfer me to tech support who would be better able to answer that question.

I then spoke to Sebastian in TS who stated the download limit was 20GB per day. When I again asked about midnight to 7am he said it is recorded from midnight to midnight.

I then explained to him what I and many of you have been told by CS. I told him I have the chat transcript etc and he apologised and asked me to forward it to ltesupport@imagine.ie. I explained I had already contacted them and they simply apologised and confirmed its 20GB per day. I explained that I was on to Comreg but they required that I first contact Imagine and give them an opportunity to deal with my complaint before they would take it further. So Sebastian said he would arrange for a call back for me in relation to this complaint.

I asked him if he had received other calls in relation to the midnight-7am download policy and he confirmed that they had and that it was currently being investigated.

My advice to anyone who has been told these lies, to get on the phone to Imagine asap and let them know you are unhappy and this should force some kind of change. Personally I think midnight is too early to start the unmetered download use, I would prefer it was 2am, as there are many people still using the internet at midnight. 5 hours unlimited each day would be a major step, but that's just my opinion. I find 20GB per day crippling if I cannot download large chunks of data without penalty.

I am very annoyed, but not surprised. You can see from my previous posts about the lies and BS and that comes from my sales background. I know what they are like at all utility providers, its all about getting you to sign up and hope that the fallout from the lies is small and manageable. Its just economics to them. However this lie is way too big, it literally transforms the product into something much less than what it was and that is not something I will accept laying down. Now we need all of you to do the same, Imagine are small enough to be impacted by this and m,any complaints to Comreg if they don't do something will have an effect.

Couldn't agree more, if only a handful complain about this very unfair change then they will sit back and do nothing about it, but if everyone rings up and complains about the removal of the midnight-7am unlimited useage then maybe they will listen and take it seriously and at least raise the daily allowance from the current crippling 20 gigs per day.

I'll definitely be ringing to get clarification, but I don't think they'll entertain a complaint per se until I am actually a customer. At this point, I have paid the install fee and am waiting for the mast to go live.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

Unfortunately I've had awful experience with ComReg when I had serious connectivity issues with NWE Bluebox. NWE were able to close my complaint with ComReg without without ComReg ever contacting me to check if my problem was fixed. For the last 5 months I was with Bluebox, my connection was not fit for purpose as demonstrated in this video I recorded just a few days I was finally disconnected. If ComReg was unfit to help me with that, I don't have much faith in them of being much help with this unmetered overnight period with Imagine, but worth a try especially if they get multiple complaints about this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,212 ✭✭✭chris_ie

editorsean wrote: »
    Unfortunately I've had awful experience with ComReg when I had serious connectivity issues with NWE Bluebox. NWE were able to close my complaint with ComReg without without ComReg ever contacting me to check if my problem was fixed. For the last 5 months I was with Bluebox, my connection was not fit for purpose as demonstrated in this video I recorded just a few days I was finally disconnected. If ComReg was unfit to help me with that, I don't have much faith in them of being much help with this unmetered overnight period with Imagine, but worth a try especially if they get multiple complaints about this.

Exact same experience with ComReg (and the same ISP). I called ComReg for an update and was told NWE had closed my ticket, even though nothing was resolved. Ridiculous really.

Regarding those who have signed up to be notified when Imagine goes live in their area, you could contact Imagine now and ask for your name to be taken off the list due to the fact that they have now changed to 20GB/day - not allowing unlimited between 12am-7am as originally stated. If they see potential customers losing interest and existing customers complaining and possibly wanting out, they might change things and make it more clear.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

When I was going to sign up, I was also concerned with the 20gig limit. However I was informed by imagine CS on 2 or 3 different occasions that the period between 0000 and 0700 is unmonitored and unlimited downloads. Later I remember reading somewhere this unmonitored and unlimited time was "at their discretion".
    I've only tested this once as far as I know. In June I downloaded the game DOOM ~45gigs between 0015 and 0230. Next day I had normal speeds and no warning email from imagine.

But now going off TireeTerror's conversations, they are completely denying this unmonitored and unlimited period. Total BS tbh. This is not the service they sold. What is the point having a good connection you can never use when you have big data to transfer? You have to spread it out over a number of days??

Morgana reckons she has been hit by downloading during this period. Has anyone else?

This is a section from the terms and conditions they have (it is dated January 2016) http://www.imagine.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/LTE-Terms-Conditions-Jan-2016.pdf
    "8.4 LTE Broadband Package(s) have a monthly data usage allowance, with a daily usage limit. If you reach your
    daily limit your service will be restricted until midnight of the same day. At the beginning of the next day, your
    service and usage will be reset. We apply these limits to ensure quality of service and a fair and level playing
    field for all customers. It’s not the intention to restrict user’s enjoyment of the service including downloading
    games as may be required on an occasional basis. At imagines discretion, occasional usage above your
    daily limit and during the hours of 12am to 7am will be allowed. If we notice continual, disproportionate
    or abnormal download or upload usage patterns, we reserve the right, upon due notice to, terminate the
    provision of your LTE Service(s). "

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Ruffty^ wrote: »
    This is a section from the terms and conditions they have (it is dated January 2016) http://www.imagine.ie/wp-content/uploads/2016/06/LTE-Terms-Conditions-Jan-2016.pdf

Right click, safe as lies_and_broken_promises.pdf ...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Remember when they said they were upgrading their sites? They were just re-writing their terms ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

made a complaint to Imagine complaints at imagine.ie about being missold the LTE Service on this Monday 1/aug/16 STILL have not heard back.

Under the EU law, Misleading with false information Actions are the activities traders carry out in the promotion and sales of their products.
    A commercial practice is misleading if it either: contains false information and is, therefore, untruthful; or in any way, including overall presentation, deceives or is likely to deceive the average consumer, even if the information is correct and causes or is likely to cause them to take a transactional decision that they would have otherwise not taken. There is no need to prove that a consumer was actually misled. The possibility of deception alone can be considered misleading if the other elements are present as well. Similarly, there is no need to prove that the consumer suffered financial loss.

AND under EU Law Misleading by leaving out information

Consumers need information to make informed choices. A trader can mislead by leaving out information that the average consumer needs. The information that the consumer needs is defined in a uniform manner in the EU by the consumer protection authorities and courts on a case-by-case basis.
    It is misleading to:
    omit material information that the average consumer needs, according to the context, to take an informed transactional decision
    hide or provide information in an unclear, unintelligible, ambiguous or untimely manner
    fail to identify the commercial intent of the commercial practice if it's not already apparent from the context.

When assessing whether a practice misleads by leaving out information, the following aspects are taken into consideration:
    The effect of the commercial practice in its entirety, including the presentation;
    information must be displayed clearly: obscure presentation is tantamount to failing to inform.

In the case of commercial communication (advertising, website of the trader) including the description of the product or the service and its price, the trader must provide information on:
    the main characteristics of the product;
    its geographical address and identity;
    the price inclusive of taxes and all additional charges (freight, delivery, post etc.);
    the arrangements for payment, delivery, performance and the complaint handling policy if they depart from the requirements of professional diligence;
    when there is a right of withdrawal, the existence of such a right

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Really unhappy with this policy change. I'll be on the phone to them in the morning to voice my complaint aswell. Blatant bait and switch going on here.

Is any body using SkyQ with Imagine lte bb and are there any issues?

Wing126 wrote: »
    Really unhappy with this policy change. I'll be on the phone to them in the morning to voice my complaint aswell. Blatant bait and switch going on here.
    what is the policy change is it bad?

rob808 wrote: »
    what is the policy change is it bad?

yeah it is, the 20 gig per day cap used to apply from 7am to midnight then unlimited at night. It's now a strict 20 gig per day limit 24/7. Any large files like games will have to be downloaded over a series of days. This change in policy had made Imagine LTE not much better than generic meteor/vodaphone 4g mobile wireless due to the very restrictive daily cap. Not much point to an up to 80 meg connection if you can blow through the cap within 45 minutes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

While I am not happy that I got throttled even though the large download happened in the alleged unmonitored period between 12 and 7 am, in fairness, this period was not mentioned when I signed up. Just the 20 gig daily cap and throttling if you go over. So I was well aware of this when I signed up (in February).

Mentioning of this unmonitored period started appearing in this thread from about this post, then again here, here. This post mentions the info I was given re the early morning period.
    However, others were told differently: TireeTerror , Chef1st, and quite definitely here again.
    So expectations were raised and people entered into contracts based partly on the understanding, that downloads would not be monitored in that period.
    This why I was so surprised when I got throttled. However, I do not have any basis to complain, as I personally was never told this (and the T&Cs) clearly state the discretion (that's another debate).
    Other people, however, do, as they were clearly told that this would be allowed.
    My own experience seems to indicate that they are starting to take away the occasional large downloads over the cap, and that is what people are reacting to.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭robbiep958

Jusus thats a load of bollocks imagine are really after getting hungry here .. I would use 40+gb some days thats with everything connected about 7 devices 20gb would be eat in not time .. Ill be thinking before i switch to them now . Think ill be sticking with three 4g getting 25mb+ on it

Gonzo wrote: »
    yeah it is, the 20 gig per day cap used to apply from 7am to midnight then unlimited at night. It's now a strict 20 gig per day limit 24/7. Any large files like games will have to be downloaded over a series of days. This change in policy had made Imagine LTE not much better than generic meteor/vodaphone 4g mobile wireless due to the very restrictive daily cap. Not much point to an up to 80 meg connection if you can blow through the cap within 45 minutes.
    That really bad it a good thing they didn't get shortlist for NBP.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Dinerve

All new here, got my LTE service up and running in Galway about 10 days ago, following Eir's inability to effectively run prequals; site was listing 40mbps over VDSL, field tech came and modem would not even sync.

Was with 17Mbps sync on the modem over ADSL but 6.5Mbps actual bandwidth often dipping lower during peak times (not to mention the miserable upload speed, 765kbps!)

Overall pretty happy thus far except the 20gb cap, averaging at 40-45Mbps regardless of hours; But the newly inflated debate about the new cap implementation here is rather out of place as these terms were in place when I was prospecting a few months back and in spite of whatever sales rep say, always read the terms...Hardly a change to be honest.

Odd thing is that I already received 2! emails advising I had gone past my allowance several times already and that Imagine MAY throttle my speed. I immediately called Tech Support and on the 1st occasion I had downloaded 16gigs and the 2nd 12gigs! Hardly near the cap!

They told me they are tweaking the notification system but when I voiced my concerns about PSN and Steam downloads between 00:00-07:00 the 1st time around the Tech rep told me it should not be an issue.

The 2nd Tech support rep, about a week later after the 1st one though was adamant that 20gigs is the daily limit and when I quoted the T&Cs he insisted on the "At Imagine's discretion" to which I replied but if occasional and he replied the same.

Something that lets me think that indeed they have no intentions of honoring that point which is the main selling point when asked to their sales team.

Either way, while clearly limiting on that aspect, it's the best solution offered in my area to have decent speeds and the cap is not a huge issue for someone not torrenting 24/7 (besides, who stores such things when streaming is widely available).

I was just hoping I could get that 20+gb download from the PSN form time to time without hassle by downloading overnight as suggested in the T&Cs, something that does not seem to be the case.

Advertisement