Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

wuzziwig wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how long ago you signed up? I'm signed up to that mast too and haven't heard a word from them re installation.

signed up last monday and got a call last friday telling me they would be here today .

my father signed up last tuesday and got a call today and is getting his installed tomorrow

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

wuzziwig wrote: »
    Do you mind me asking how long ago you signed up? I'm signed up to that mast too and haven't heard a word from them re installation.

I had found with them, the squeaky wheel gets the grease.
    Installs don't seem to be in any order of customer sign-up time.
    If they don't hear from you, they'll do someone else before you, who is at them about the install. So no harm in getting on to them. Don't wait on them to contact you.
    EDIT: the online chat on their website was enough for me to get it moved along.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Is there any body else from Wexford on here? Just wondering is there a problem with the Forth Mountain transmitter.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Johnfred wrote: »
    Is there any body else from Wexford on here? Just wondering is there a problem with the Forth Mountain transmitter.

I wouldn't say there is a problem with the mast. This is about the norm for me.
    I don't know much about it all now, but initially before I signed up I was told the contention ratio was 4:1. So it could be someone hogging your bandwidth? Or you have an issue your end.
    I know I sound like tech support here, but have you tried rebooting the router?
    Good God even typing that made me feel dirty. I need to go scrub my hands.
    You should defo get on to them about them speeds though. That's intolerable.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Dinerve

Back to high usage warnings.

Got 2 emails this morning, one at 08:30, the other one at 10:30.

I live alone, all my devices were offline and I was asleep!!!

Didn't even bother calling them but...wtf imagine? Been your customer for 2,5 weeks and got me 5 warnings 2 for wich I bothered calling tech support that confirmed I wasn't even near my daily allowance.

I find it very unwelcoming for a new customer and even though I was to settle with the cap especially over the false promises about occasional downloads going past that, if it starts like this I dread to imagine (get it?) what it'll be like in 6-12 months from now...🙄

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

Chef-1st wrote: »
    So basically you're calling us all a bunch of free-loading spongers?
    I wouldn't say that's very fair at all. I don't know what kinda low-res 360p era you're in, but the modern online age uses us a lot of bandwidth.
    And when you sign up to a contract given incorrect/false information, there are solid grounds for complaining.

No need for the smarminess or snide digs, thanks.

There's a massive difference between going a bit over and running it non-stop all night 30 days a month.

The service is for those currently stuck with 1.5 due to eircon's "don't give a f**k as we're charging you the same as eFibre anyway" mentality, and why someone would want to go from a Micra to a Lambourghini in one jump, bypassing a BMW strikes me as weird.

Especially when people were complaining about the 600gig a month limit and telling people to go to Vodafone's 150gb a month for dearer as an "alternative".

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Do Imagine not have a 70Gb/week limit imposed on this too?

That ~300Gb a month

marno21 wrote: »

That ~300Gb a month

Haven't heard of any such thing.

20 per day would be 140 a week, so half that would be weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

I just ordered this for house. I knew the 20GB limit was going to be a factor with 5 of us constantly using netflix, ps4, ipads, iphones etc. But the only alternative was with eir through the phoneline with a max of 5mb.

When your net gets slowed down, does anyone know what the speeds are once they slow you down?

Mystery666 wrote: »
    I just ordered this for house. I knew the 20GB limit was going to be a factor with 5 of us constantly using netflix, ps4, ipads, iphones etc. But the only alternative was with eir through the phoneline with a max of 5mb.

When your net gets slowed down, does anyone know what the speeds are once they slow you down?

It's 1Mbps Up/Down till 00:00.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 Mystery666

Dinerve wrote: »
    It's 1Mbps Up/Down till 00:00.

Damn really? You'd think they'd give something thats at least usable for the time. I can see myself definitely going over the limit a lot.

Thanks for the reply though.

By the way, did someone mention that they have given us back times from 12-7 am as unlimited like they initially stated?

Mystery666 wrote: »
    Damn really? You'd think they'd give something thats at least usable for the time. I can see myself definitely going over the limit a lot.

Thanks for the reply though.

By the way, did someone mention that they have given us back times from 12-7 am as unlimited like they initially stated?

I don't think I read that somewhere. And we don't think they ever gave it in the first place.

It's in the T&C's at their discretion for the 'occasional large downloads' but based on the conversation on this thread it hardly seem to be the case and was even confirmed by Tech agents some of us have spoken to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

marno21 wrote: »

That ~300Gb a month

The 70GB/week came from a post by Wing126.

This was subsequently clarified by TireeTerror.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I presume the daily limit comes from the limited capacity microwave backhaul from the masts? The same as any WISP really. If this is the case, then surely the original model of a daily cap with an uncapped overnight period would be the best option.

The aim should be to keep bulk downloads to a minimum during peak hours, to avoid in fo far as possible, impacting interactive use (browsing/streaming, gaming latency). The best way to incentivise people to do their bulk downloading overnight is to allow an unlimited window. Even if everyone was bulk-downloading overnight the only impact would be contention related speed issues. Assuming we're (mostly) all in bed, who cares? If your download is done in the morning, do you care if it took ten minutes or four hours?

Maybe they should have an unlimited period overnight with no minimum speed guarantee. I.e., All you can eat, but on a best-effort basis, with a minimum guaranteed speed during metered hours.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

As much as I want to have a free allowance period, from the info they told me they had noticed massive demand after midnight that was affecting the network. Obviously we all thought it was unmonitored and were downloading away. It wouldn't take too many people to be doing that to bring the speeds right down, especially if there were 400 users subscribed to the mast.

If I was wanting to use the internet at night time and I was having a very bad experience, I wouldn't be happy. I would be in the minority right enough, and having used the service at all times fo the day I have not had any real significant slowing down. The slowest I have experienced is about 48Mb and I manually test several times per day just because I am interested.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

I just noticed Imagine has a representative here, Ruth.

MZs88Oc.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Dito. I'll be happy enough if they properly, consistently and reliably implement the discretionary going over once a week. My experience does not bear that out unfortunately. Hope they were still tweaking the system.
    Information and communication is the key.
    The warning letter should state exactly where you are at rather than the unspecific way it is now (and obviously incorrect as you can't have gone over a few times already) - they obviously have the data. Especially when you have no way of assessing how much you have used. Further it should then state if you go over this time this will be accepted but then you are out of luck for the rest of the week (assuming the week starts Monday?)

If I was wanting to use the internet at night time and I was having a very bad experience, I wouldn't be happy. I would be in the minority right enough, and having used the service at all times fo the day I have not had any real significant slowing down. The slowest I have experienced is about 48Mb and I manually test several times per day just because I am interested.

Yeah, that's fair enough, but physics dictates that you can't have it both ways. Either it's metered 24/7 with a strictly enforced daily cap, or the network can be let off the leash for some overnight window, with the attendant consequences for nocturnal users.

It doesn't have to be 12-7 either. 2-6 would probably be fine.

Either way, it's not going to be solved in this thread, and for my own use case, it may never be an issue (assuming discretion is actually applied).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Dero wrote: »
    It doesn't have to be 12-7 either. 2-6 would probably be fine.

Either way, it's not going to be solved in this thread, and for my own use case, it may never be an issue (assuming discretion is actually applied).

Yea even 2 to 6 would suit me just fine :P And if they have a rep hanging out in here, this thread is a very good way to discuss those issues.
    After all, we want to get the best out of the service without overloading which would be detrimental to all.
    This thread has given me at least a much better understanding how an LTE network works and its inherent limits.
    And welcome Ruth, hope this is a sign that Imagine is interested what we have to say and suggest :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Could be a sign they're setting up a Talk To Forum, which would be welcomed!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

editorsean wrote: »
    I just noticed Imagine has a representative here, Ruth.

MZs88Oc.png

When I try to click on her posts it says she has posted 25 times, but it wont show them. ANyone else having that problem?

When I try to click on her posts it says she has posted 25 times, but it wont show them. ANyone else having that problem?

Maybe you Imagined it ? ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If she's posting in a currently private forum you won't see them. Assuming thats what happening theyll appear when Dav unlocks it.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Anyone know what mast would be serving the rural Athy/Kilkea area?
    I find it hard to imagine (wink wink) that the Old Kilcullen mast is serving this far.
    Sign 100m down the road from me says its now live in the area and when I contacted them they said it wont be live for another 3-5 weeks.

Still can't figure out what mast is serving me though!

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭RamblingRuairi

Slightly off topic but just wondering if anyone with Imagine LTE has had issues with Sky OnDemand?
    In a nutshell, I can download any channel's catch up programs (RTE, Channel 4, E4 etc....) but can't download any Sky channel content.
    Just want to rule out the Imagine router as the issue and push Sky for a response.

Cheers

NakQuada wrote: »

Best thing to do is ask them I suppose. There used to be an FWALA search on the Comreg site that had all 3.5GHz sites (similar to siteviewer), but it seems to have disappeared after the Comreg site re-org. :-/

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

NakQuada wrote: »
    Anyone know what mast would be serving the rural Athy/Kilkea area?
    I find it hard to imagine (wink wink) that the Old Kilcullen mast is serving this far.
    Sign 100m down the road from me says its now live in the area and when I contacted them they said it wont be live for another 3-5 weeks.

It's the Rossmore mast that you will get your signal from. Its over Killeshin direction.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

K3v wrote: »
    It's the Rossmore mast that you will get your signal from. Its over Killeshin direction.
    Is this the one that also carries Kfm on 97.3?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Am in kilcullen area and just got notice I will be connected in the next few days
    Will keep forum posted

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Am in kilcullen area and just got notice I will be connected in the next few days
    Will keep forum posted

Great to hear.

Please send speed/ping results to let us know what you're getting!

Advertisement