Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

NakQuada wrote: »
    Am in kilcullen area and just got notice I will be connected in the next few days
    Will keep forum posted

Great to hear.

Please send speed/ping results to let us know what you're getting!

Will do, have a concen about trees

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Have a concern about trees myself.
    Hope I can get it when it comes to my area!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

JUst spoke to Imagine. Was promised a call back within 24 hours two days in a row, both times I had to call when that time passed.

My complaint was taken by David, the manager of Tech Support, to Sean Bolger, the owner of Imagine. Despite this they are not willing to do anything at all. The only two options I was presented with are to continue with the current 20GB per day limit with 1 day up to 70GB, or to terminate the service with a full refund.

Obviously Imagine so far are my best option, and I will not cancel, and they know that. As much as I detest being treated like a prick by them with their lies, I will not go back to 4G from 3 as my sole internet provider. It pains me to have to accept it, but this is part of rural living unfortunately where we have limited choices, but beautiful views and traffic jam free roads.

I will be emailing Sean Bolger anyway to their complaints department. complaints@imagine.ie.

They were not willing to reduce the price I pay each month, not willing to change the download limit, not even sending a letter of apology. You just know that they simply do not care and that is never a nice feeling, although to expect that would be unrealistic.

Once Sean has replied, I will then consider whether to take it to Comreg for further deliberation.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

JUst spoke to Imagine. Was promised a call back within 24 hours two days in a row, both times I had to call when that time passed.

My complaint was taken by David, the manager of Tech Support, to Sean Bolger, the owner of Imagine. Despite this they are not willing to do anything at all. The only two options I was presented with are to continue with the current 20GB per day limit with 1 day up to 70GB, or to terminate the service with a full refund.

Obviously Imagine so far are my best option, and I will not cancel, and they know that. As much as I detest being treated like a prick by them with their lies, I will not go back to 4G from 3 as my sole internet provider. It pains me to have to accept it, but this is part of rural living unfortunately where we have limited choices, but beautiful views and traffic jam free roads.

I will be emailing Sean Bolger anyway to their complaints department. complaints@imagine.ie.

They were not willing to reduce the price I pay each month, not willing to change the download limit, not even sending a letter of apology. You just know that they simply do not care and that is never a nice feeling, although to expect that would be unrealistic.

Once Sean has replied, I will then consider whether to take it to Comreg for further deliberation.
    They know well that in most of the areas that they have a pure monopoly and can do what they like.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

So you complained about the change in the 12-7am unlimited time? Is this their final answer - they won't change it and it's staying at 20G per day with no 12-7am cap free? They said you can get a refund?
    If you don't mind me asking, how long are you with them?

What is this one day of 70G thing? Is this an allowance of one day per month with max limit of 70G?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8 Franky111

I got installed yesterday and it's like heaven compared to what I had , What are all these complaints about between 12-7 in the morning , when I signed up I was told 20mg cap per day , nobody mentioned anything about 12-7 , Just as a matter of interest why would you take them up with comreg ? are you not happy to get good broadband , maybe I'm missing something here

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Franky111 wrote: »
    I got installed yesterday and it's like heaven compared to what I had , What are all these complaints about between 12-7 in the morning , when I signed up I was told 20mg cap per day , nobody mentioned anything about 12-7 , Just as a matter of interest why would you take them up with comreg ? are you not happy to get good broadband , maybe I'm missing something here

20Gb across 24 hours is not "good broadband". It's an effective speed across the day of 1.9Mbit (20Gb spread across the day)

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

I will be emailing Sean Bolger anyway to their complaints department. .

Good luck with that.
    Send them an official Complaint on the 4 Aug have not heard back yet.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Am in kilcullen area and just got notice I will be connected in the next few days
    Will keep forum posted

Yep, I got a mail from them today to the same effect.

I work during the day , I'm not on the internet 24 hours a day so I think it's brilliant , I don't get all this comreg complaints stuff , have they promised you something that they didn't promise me

• Advertisement

marno21 wrote: »
    They know well that in most of the areas that they have a pure monopoly and can do what they like.

Yep, that's the position I've been in with Ripplecom for ~10 years. Now I have a choice of someone else, but it seems like Hobson's choice...

To be honest, I'm more concerned with the network config and being able to bridge their modem properly, but I don't hold out much hope for that either.
    Imagine wrote:
    Unfortunately, at the moment the WN-600 is required for the service to function as we do not have any stand POE devices yet. However, we are looking into getting them in the future.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I work during the day , I'm not on the internet 24 hours a day so I think it's brilliant , I don't get all this comreg complaints stuff , have they promised you something that they didn't promise me

Some on here have said they were told the service by sales reps who stated that the service was completely unlimited from 12 to 7. I think someone even have it in emails. You've obviously not got gamers or Netflix streamers in your house, 20GB per day is a pittance these days when you could easily burn it in an hour

Some on here have said they were told the service by sales reps who stated that the service was completely unlimited from 12 to 7. I think someone even have it in emails. You've obviously not got gamers or Netflix streamers in your house, 20GB per day is a pittance these days when you could easily burn it in an hour

Yeah I have an email from tech support stating that 12-7am is unlimited.
    And this is what we were told by the sales team before signing up to an 18 month contract.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Imagine is grand for solo users or light users in general. If your away much of the day and only use your Imagine wireless for a few hours per day then there is absolutely no problem with it.

Where the problem lies is up to about 2 weeks ago, Imagine were letting people know that between 12am and 7am there was an unlimited cap, at least the 20gb daily cap didn't matter during those hours, then over the past 10 days or so people started getting trottled who were sticking to their daily cap and downloading extra content between the hours of 12am and 7am.

Imagine are also sending strict emails to many customers about going over the cap, some people here reported they received these emails well before they got near the daily cap allowance. When people complained Imagine now state that the 20gb cap is 24/7.

Some people signed up to the service after hearing that you could download more than 20gb a day between 12am and 7am, but since then Imagine have done a total u-turn on this without letting everyone know.

For a portion of customers none of this is really an issue, but those with families with multiple users on multiple devices are gonna have a tough time staying within that limit and the service also prohibits downloading large files like game downloads and patches. A large game file may have to be paused and resumed over 3 to 4 days.

Many Imagine users have no other option but Imagine. The service they provide is generally very fast for most people but it is a bit of a tease not really being able to use it much other than for low bandwidth tasks like browsing, social media and a small amount of steaming.

I have an android box and I view movies , nobody mentioned 12-7 to me when signing , They explained the cap and I was happy enough to go with it as I had a dongle that I was not able to do much with , and where I am living Eir won't be here until I'm dead and gone , Did they not tell people here that there was a cap of 20GB per day ? I personally think that its a great service , even if I had unlimited from 12-7 I probably wouldn't use it , I think in fairness to Imagine they have given every one here a better service than they had , I'm certainly thankful for it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

I have an android box and I view movies , nobody mentioned 12-7 to me when signing , They explained the cap and I was happy enough to go with it as I had a dongle that I was not able to do much with , and where I am living Eir won't be here until I'm dead and gone , Did they not tell people here that there was a cap of 20GB per day ? I personally think that its a great service , even if I had unlimited from 12-7 I probably wouldn't use it , I think in fairness to Imagine they have given every one here a better service than they had , I'm certainly thankful for it

Did you actually read any of the other posts? Their reps said downloads between 12 and 7 didn't count towards the daily cap

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Yeah I have an email from tech support stating that 12-7am is unlimited.
    And this is what we were told by the sales team before signing up to an 18 month contract.

I got an very same email QUOTE: "Please download large files at night time as this avoids the cap. The off peak hours are 12am - 7am."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Yes they did tell all of us about the 20GB cap. But a good few of us were explicitly told that between 12-7am we would occasionally be allowed to download over 20Gb without it affecting our 20GB cap for that day. Meaning that when needed, some of us would be able to download games/torrents etc without worrying about being throttled.

Emmm...I wouldn't say I'm getting a better service than I had... another concerning issue apart from the changed t&c's is the diminishing speeds as the weeks go by and more users get connected. Not exactly the advertised "fibre speed broadband".

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=ca0743c0b8cf444e2d91bc3118335acd&ria=0

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    I got an very same email QUOTE: "Please download large files at night time as this avoids the cap. The off peak hours are 12am - 7am."

and now if people do that they will get trottled down to 1meg till the next daily reset.

The quicker Eir/Siro and the NBP get into the rural countryside the better. While Imagines service is welcome, the strict regulations is ruining the experience for quite a few people.

• Advertisement

We (as a family) have had a chat about it and we reckon we might be OK if we trim some fat and make a few other adjustments. Things like manually adjusting streaming quality on a per-device basis to avoid "over streaming". 1080p+ makes no sense on smaller screens (and I love my HD). Also, our son has resigned himself to buying physical copies of games instead of downloading them. That won't solve the game patches issue, but it should ease things somewhat.

It's a real pity though, because buying games online is so much easier, especially as we (obviously) live in the country and trips to Game Stop etc. need to be planned.

I am quite excited about this service, and am really looking forward to it if I can actually get a signal, so I don't want to appear too negative. However, we have to be realistic about how it will fit our requirements.

All I can say is I'm happy and all my neighbours are happy with the service , I actually rang Imagine about the 12-7 usage and they said this had changed about 3 months ago and customers were notified

Gonzo wrote: »
    and now if people do that they will get trottled down to 1meg till the next daily reset.

The quicker Eir/Siro and the NBP get into the rural countryside the better. While Imagines service is welcome, the strict regulations is ruining the experience for quite a few people.

I agree, but we have to accept the reality of their limited backhaul. It would be nice if every mast had fibre backhaul, but I wouldn't think many (any?) do.

It's the seemingly abrupt change in policy and apparently dogged intransigence in refusing to budge that galls the most. When you live in the country you're at the mercy of whatever service provider you can get, but it's not nice to have your nose rubbed in that reality.

Roll on NBP indeed. :-/

Dero wrote: »

It's a real pity though, because buying games online is so much easier, especially as we (obviously) live in the country and trips to Game Stop etc. need to be planned.

a bit OT this but Gamestop are also generally 10 euros per game more expensive than digital downloads and other stores like Smyths/Argos.

All I can say is I'm happy and all my neighbours are happy with the service , I actually rang Imagine about the 12-7 usage and they said this had changed about 3 months ago and customers were notified

I'm calling pure BS on that.

Did they mail you again to notify you that it had changed? If not, would that mail be enough basis for a complaint to Comreg?

I'm not under any illusions that it would make any difference, but still, the mixed messages and bullish attitude leave a bad taste.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭irishchris

Chef-1st wrote: »
    I'm calling pure BS on that.

I agree and also have suspicions on the poster who magically appears on boards.ie imagine thread praising how it's a perfect system and how all the neighbours love it whilst downplaying the importance of a Written promise of out of caps downloads.. As he has only four posts ever on boards and these are all today downplaying the 12-7am renage that imagine have done

Dero wrote: »
    Did they mail you again to notify you that it had changed? If not, would that mail be enough basis for a complaint to Comreg?

I'm not under any illusions that it would make any difference, but still, the mixed messages and bullish attitude leave a bad taste.

They did send me this after I sent them another email about being slowed down in the morning the next day QUOTE me this

"I apologize for any misleading information in regards to the download limit.
    Please find Imagines terms and conditions on the subject below.

8.4 LTE Broadband Package(s) have a monthly data usage allowance, with a daily usage limit. If you reach your daily limit your service will be restricted until midnight of the same day. At the beginning of the next day, your service and usage will be reset. We apply these limits to ensure quality of service and a fair and level playing field for all customers. It?s not the intention to restrict user?s enjoyment of the service including downloading games as may be required on an occasional basis. At imagines discretion, occasional usage above your daily limit and during the hours of 12am to 7am will be allowed. If we notice continual, disproportionate or abnormal download or upload usage patterns, we reserve the right, upon due notice to, terminate the provision of your LTE Service(s)."

No, doesn't look like any of us were informed of the changes to the daily allowance. I can't even get them to get back to me about my slow speeds, never mind contact me about changes!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

They did send me this after I sent them another email about being slowed down in the morning the next day QUOTE me this

"I apologize for any misleading information in regards to the download limit.
    Please find Imagines terms and conditions on the subject below.

8.4 LTE Broadband Package(s) have a monthly data usage allowance, with a daily usage limit. If you reach your daily limit your service will be restricted until midnight of the same day. At the beginning of the next day, your service and usage will be reset. We apply these limits to ensure quality of service and a fair and level playing field for all customers. It?s not the intention to restrict user?s enjoyment of the service including downloading games as may be required on an occasional basis. At imagines discretion, occasional usage above your daily limit and during the hours of 12am to 7am will be allowed. If we notice continual, disproportionate or abnormal download or upload usage patterns, we reserve the right, upon due notice to, terminate the provision of your LTE Service(s)."

Which still mentions the 12am-7am window that apparently doesn't exist anymore.

Advertisement