Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Gonzo wrote: »
    a bit OT this but Gamestop are also generally 10 euros per game more expensive than digital downloads and other stores like Smyths/Argos.

I agree. It's just so handy downloading games online. And cheaper as you say.
    I didn't mind letting them download overnight without getting throttled. But now it seems that's gone. Ahh internet providers...nothing but empty promises the lot of them! :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

Franky111 wrote: »
    All I can say is I'm happy and all my neighbours are happy with the service , I actually rang Imagine about the 12-7 usage and they said this had changed about 3 months ago and customers were notified
    irishchris wrote: »
    I agree and also have suspicions on the poster who magically appears on boards.ie imagine thread praising how it's a perfect system and how all the neighbours love it whilst downplaying the importance of a Written promise of out of caps downloads.. As he has only four posts ever on boards and these are all today downplaying the 12-7am renage that imagine have done

Hold on here you got Installed Yesterday and you join the Boards this evening and you rang Imagine about the 12-7 usage WHEN??? after you posted here.

Find a very good broadband speed test site that is HTML5, no java or Flash base openspeedtest . com

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    Find a very good broadband speed test site that is HTML5, no java or Flash base openspeedtest . com

I ran a test there on that site. Getting the same 13M speed as I see on Speedtest.net.
    http://openspeedtest.com/results/3688907

I found testmy.net very good too. I use it to verify my speedtest.net results, and test size can be manually changed. They're usually all near enough the same though.

I like the testmy . net too and the way you can auto test is a nice touch

• Advertisement

Chef-1st wrote: »
    I ran a test there on that site. Getting the same 13M speed as I see on Speedtest.net.

I found testmy.net very good too. I use it to verify my speedtest.net results, and test size can be manually changed. They're usually all near enough the same though.

I was only getting about 13-18Mbps there about 8, it has gone up again to about 20-25Mbps, I have set testmy site to autotest for 2 hours at every 10 mins. let see what happens

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

JUst spoke to Imagine. Was promised a call back within 24 hours two days in a row, both times I had to call when that time passed.

My complaint was taken by David, the manager of Tech Support, to Sean Bolger, the owner of Imagine. Despite this they are not willing to do anything at all. The only two options I was presented with are to continue with the current 20GB per day limit with 1 day up to 70GB, or to terminate the service with a full refund.

Obviously Imagine so far are my best option, and I will not cancel, and they know that. As much as I detest being treated like a prick by them with their lies, I will not go back to 4G from 3 as my sole internet provider. It pains me to have to accept it, but this is part of rural living unfortunately where we have limited choices, but beautiful views and traffic jam free roads.

I will be emailing Sean Bolger anyway to their complaints department. complaints@imagine.ie.

They were not willing to reduce the price I pay each month, not willing to change the download limit, not even sending a letter of apology. You just know that they simply do not care and that is never a nice feeling, although to expect that would be unrealistic.

Once Sean has replied, I will then consider whether to take it to Comreg for further deliberation.
    Why would you bother to make a complaint to comreg? They have offered to cancel the contract with a refund. That's all that might come of a successful complaint to comreg.

Is there any clause in the t&c's saying basically whatever an agent says it can't override the t&c's? Vodafone have a similar clause.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Franky111

I agree and also have suspicions on the poster who magically appears on boards.ie imagine thread praising how it's a perfect system and how all the neighbours love it whilst downplaying the importance of a Written promise of out of caps downloads.. As he has only four posts ever on boards and these are all today downplaying the 12-7am renage that imagine have done

I didn't magically appear , I seen a post on a facebook page that there were a lot of people not happy with the service so I was directed to here and opened an account here just to view what the negative things were , I heard nothing about this 12-7 when I signed up , all I'm saying is that I am happy with the service , If you were promised something else I'm sorry to hear that , you are all very sceptical even about me , I won't comment anymore even though I am entitled to , but you guy's seem to know it all

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Franky111

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    Hold on here you got Installed Yesterday and you join the Boards this evening and you rang Imagine about the 12-7 usage WHEN??? after you posted here.

I rang them , they are open until 8

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

I just tried the Open Speed Test with Three and it seems like that network has given its traffic special treatment, considering this test was at peak time... :eek:

PGmKkAf.pngw1Hfgnmqh.n3IksSATP.png5543727278.png

For comparison, a test download from the Leaseweb Test download site varied between 150KB/s and 260KBs, settling around 200KB/s (about 1.6Mbps):

Jx9XuJe.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

I have to say that I'm in the same camp as this Franky fella and I'm not magical! From the point of view of a rural mountain user I have no complaints when the alternative is a more expensive intermittent 1 meg service from Eir.

I wasn't promised a 12-7 unlimited download and so far I have no complaints. I get between 75 - 94 mbps most if not all of the time, I think its stretching a point to say we only get 1.9mbs over the day when most users are not on it 24 hours a day.

I'd be interested to know what all you gamers were doing before you went with Imagine, were you downloading huge games on expensive slow contracts?

Half of the farmers round here are well happy to even get a service let alone one as fast as this.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Chef-1st wrote: »
    http://openspeedtest.com/results/3688907

Try fast.com. It's a Netflix powered site, so it's useful for Netflix users as it uses their servers so will give a good indication of how streaming will work. Very basic though; just download, no latency, jitter or even upload!

I only found it this evening.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What good is 80 mbit? My calculations say you would eat that 20GB daily allowance in 35 minutes 37 seconds if you actually used it and let a game update or Windows update etc. It really is no better than midband. Fine if all you want to do is some light browsing etc, no good if you have teenagers

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Yeah, in some ways I feel the same. 80mbps+ seems like a tease when you can blow your allowance so easily. In reality though, it will be nice to be able to stream the same streams (even at the same quality) without buffering and a good deal of overhead beyond that if something else kicks in in the background.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

What good is 80 mbit? My calculations say you would eat that 20GB daily allowance in 35 minutes 37 seconds if you actually used it and let a game update or Windows update etc. It really is no better than midband. Fine if all you want to do is some light browsing etc, no good if you have teenagers

They're posting 90Mb speed tests so you're actually talking less than 25 mins with a little upload going on.

60GB patch? Unless you wanna do nothing else you'll end up spending 4 days splitting it into 15GB chunks or 5 days with 12GB chunks. Better than nothing? Yes. Broadband, nah.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,318 ✭✭✭rob808

TopTec wrote: »
    I have to say that I'm in the same camp as this Franky fella and I'm not magical! From the point of view of a rural mountain user I have no complaints when the alternative is a more expensive intermittent 1 meg service from Eir.

I wasn't promised a 12-7 unlimited download and so far I have no complaints. I get between 75 - 94 mbps most if not all of the time, I think its stretching a point to say we only get 1.9mbs over the day when most users are not on it 24 hours a day.

I'd be interested to know what all you gamers were doing before you went with Imagine, were you downloading huge games on expensive slow contracts?

Half of the farmers round here are well happy to even get a service let alone one as fast as this.

TT
    I think your a light user just using the web maybe some YouTube same with your farmer friend which is fine and it good that your happy.There just that some people that would use a lot of app and streaming and gaming that why there annoy about the download allowance being small with no 12-7 unlimited download.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Any details from the Kilcullen install? When did you sign up? When were you called? What speeds you getting? Did they say if they're doing more?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

TopTec wrote: »

Yep, and letting them download overnight/multiple nights.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I am a light enough user usually, but game and patch downloads will go over the 20 gig limit occasionally - and as I experienced without any of the promised leeway of once a week being allowed to go to up to 70gig as mentioned by TireeTerror.
    I wasn't given the info of the 12-7 "free" download period when i signed up - but took it into account when it became known a few weeks later in here and thought it was perfect.
    There was no mail or notification whatsoever from Imagine regarding either the existence or the now non-existence of this cap-less period.
    Overall, my experience is still positive, but the throttling for going over ONCE a tiny bit when the T&Cs state otherwise has soured this quite a bit.
    People who were promised this cap-free period are rightly angry that it has been rescinded and it does affect and mar what is otherwise a good service a lot.
    As others have pointed out, 20 gig is manageable in small households with just a few devices connected. It can become extremely limiting in larger households especially with teenagers. Also, buying games online with the associated large downloads is a major issue. Most games would not be available in a brick & mortar shop - or as in the case of Fallout 4 for instance still require a 40 gig download. You want that game on launch or patch day and not 3 days later.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

as much as I complain about currently only having 8/9meg ADSL, I have more freedom with this connection than if I had Imagine LTE, granted patience is required with download speeds.

Imagines LTE service is only worth it if there is nothing else available as their service does not allow you to use fast internet the way it was intended. It's like buying a Ferrari but being told you can only drive it 20 miles per day then do another 20 miles the following day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Been following this thread and in fairness their service is the best available service to me at present.

Got it installed this morning, did a speed test and got about 60mb download but generally for the last twelve hours, it's averaging 2mb although ping is excellent as is upload. For the record, my Meteor wifi gives about 10mb average all the time but the monthly cap is too low,although I have learned to survive on it.

I've no where near anything downloaded past a few gigs of data but I am seriously concerned if I am getting an average speed this low.

Every time it goes this low, I reboot the router and things boost to 10mbps or so but drop quite quickly. It's continually slowing down after the reboot also until it hits 2-3mbps again. Must be capped at this?

I'm very happy to have a 20 gig limit but at least I want the speed. The installer said he expected an average of 50-60 or better after testing.

I'll email them and let them listen to me whinge, that's going to teach them :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Im putting their 70GB to the test this morning. I waited until just after midnight and then started to download Star Citizen and Rise Of The Tomb Raider for PC. That's nearly 47GB for 2 games and will leave me just over 20GB to use during the normal hours tomorrow. I wont do it again until this time next week when its meant to be reset.

As for Franky and his comments, pure utter ****e. If you cant be arsed to read the actual thread before posting your drivel, we cant be arsed to answer any further. Its great you have a daytime Job son, no doubt heading to Imagine HQ!

As for Franky and his comments, pure utter ****e. If you cant be arsed to read the actual thread before posting your drivel, we cant be arsed to answer any further. Its great you have a daytime Job son, no doubt heading to Imagine HQ!

Ahh. Reasoned argument and debate, the backbone of a social forum!!

TT

Im putting their 70GB to the test this morning. I waited until just after midnight and then started to download Star Citizen and Rise Of The Tomb Raider for PC. That's nearly 47GB for 2 games and will leave me just over 20GB to use during the normal hours tomorrow. I wont do it again until this time next week when its meant to be reset.

How did you get on with that ?

Re Franky, I know how enthusiastic & ecstatic I was when I first got installed! This is why I started the thread in the first place! The limiting effect of the 20 gig cap will only dawn on you after you've had the service for a bit and start exploring the possibilities! Or are a gamer ...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

morgana wrote: »

Re Franky, I know how enthusiastic & ecstatic I was when I first got installed! This is why I started the thread in the first place! The limiting effect of the 20 gig cap will only dawn on you after you've had the service for a bit and start exploring the possibilities! Or are a gamer ...

If I was to have Imagine LTE the tease would be torture. I'm not one of those people who would end up downloading everything just because I can, but the temptation to do normal stuff like download a few HD shows on the skybox, stream a few hours of netflix per day and download/update all my games digitally would result in me being throttled regularly. I may also play multiplayer games about 10/15 hours a week and upload work projects. Add to that all the regular browsing, youtube, twitch, spotify and mobile phone wifi. Then other people in my house browse the internet as well so Imagines service with those sorts of speeds and download allowance just wouldn't be practical in my home.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

morgana wrote: »

Since midnight I have currently consumed 54.3GB of data and I have not had any warning from Imagine. Speeds have not been throttled, although I have noticed a steady decrease in speed over the last couple of weeks. I was getting near 90Mb during the daytime and now I'm typically around 60Mb which is a big drop. My maximum speeds are still high later at night, getting about 89Mb max.

I forgot to mention this yesterday when I posted what had happened when I was speaking to David, the manager of Tech Support at Imagine. I asked him if we would be getting a portal we could log into that would better enable us to monitor our usage to avoid being throttled. He confirmed that it is actually in the process of being implemented right now, he was not in a position to guarantee precisely when it would be available, but that it could be next week.

The reality is that had I not been promised free downloads between 00:00 and 07:00 and was restricted to 20GB per day with one day at 70GB, I would have snapped it up to obtain the faster speeds and more reliable service than I get with 3 mobile using 4G. I would be happy with the service to date, it's just the fact we were lied to that makes me so mad and when you compare what we were promised against what we have received its a really inferior product.

I will probably get over it, until 2 good games come out in the same week but on a different day and then i'm stuffed and I will be raging. I will end up having to connect to my mobile hotspot on my phone to download the second title.

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Frankmagnet

Anyone ever get though on the live chat? I'm always on hold for ages with no answer from anyone.

Signed up last month in Longford and just wondering if they was an update on when it will go live

Anyone ever get though on the live chat? I'm always on hold for ages with no answer from anyone.

Tried it twice but had to ask for call backs both times, which I did get.

TT

Signed up last month in Longford and just wondering if they was an update on when it will go live

Used it a couple of times, got to talk to someone most of the time after varying wait periods. Last time a few weeks ago just after they open to report loss of service the previous night and got responded and info very quickly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17 Dinerve

Since midnight I have currently consumed 54.3GB of data and I have not had any warning from Imagine. [...]

That's really odd, last night a bit after midnight I was upgrading and restoring my iPhone; It failed and had to re-download all of my apps twice.

Went to bed a bit after 03:00; This morning at 08:30 i got this new, improved Warning email:

"Dear customer,

We have noticed that your data upload and download usage has exceeded 15Gb, representing 75% of your available daily data usage allowance of 20Gb.

Once your data usage exceeds 20Gb in any 24 hour period, your service will be slowed down until midnight were upon both your speed and your data usage allowance will be reset for the next 24 hour period.

Below are some useful tips that may help you to control your data usage:

If you have a wireless or home network, it's important that your connection is secure and encrypted correctly to prevent other people accessing your connection and data usage.
    Consider turning off automatic updates, instead controlling them manually
    A virus or spyware that downloads onto your computer can chew up your usage, so you should ensure you have good security software that has both virus and spyware protection.
    Be conscious of Using game consoles including Xbox and PlayStation® to play games online, as well as downloading files to your console.

Many Thanks,

Imagine LTE.

Connecting rural Ireland to fibre"

That's the 6th email I got in 2,5 weeks of service. Judging by the different responses in here it feels almost like I'm being bullied, let alone spammed!

How come one of us downloads almost 60gigs with no warning? Others get throttled with no warning and I'm getting spammed?

Very dodgy stance from our ISP.....

Advertisement