Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

editorsean wrote: »
    Edit: From further searching, the Huawei B2268H still consists of an PoE powered active outdoor antenna.

So even if you can get into the router, it's still up to Imagine to sort out any port forwarding/static ip etc etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 momo_32

My saga with ports (not a big issue for most, I grant you, but symptomatic of the general behaviour of the organisation) continues. Today a phone call reveals that Imagine _will_ allow port forwarding after all. And maybe even more, in the future! They still have to do it though... And of course, as of this evening, they haven't. And still no static IP... But I'm increasingly less depressed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

momo_32 wrote: »
    I had the Irish Broadband (became Imagine) 4Mb Breeze service until July when I was "upgraded" (!?). It worked perfectly. Only 4Mb and usually got around 3.5-3.7, but very few dropouts and the antenna/POE injector/CPE kit was much more robust and professional than the current offering. No issue at all with configuration, all done through my own router. I would go straight back to this but they've withdrawn the service to make way for the ... upgrade.

How did the upgrade work? Did they charge you an installation fee? Were there any other charges?

How did the upgrade work? Did they charge you an installation fee? Were there any other charges?
    Well it wasn't exactly an upgrade, that's why it's in quotes :-).

I had the Breeze service and they were decommisioning it, replacing it with the LTE service. It was basically "thanks for your custom but goodbye. Now, do you want our new service?" So essentially I'm a new customer. New physical installation, couldn't - wouldn't - use existing cabling. Installation fee? Of course. Speed much improved but a host of other issues that have left some of my internal network services stalled for four weeks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

Wing126 wrote: »
    So even if you can get into the router, it's still up to Imagine to sort out any port forwarding/static ip etc etc?
    Going by the router's instruction manual, all the configuration is done within the router's web interface as there is no separate IP address or web interface for the outdoor unit. This is different to the Greenpacket equipment where the indoor and outdoor units had separate web interfaces and the port forwarding had to be configured in the outdoor unit which only Imagine had the login details for.

So I reckon that if the user can log into the Huawei B2268H, they can do the port forwarding as this router's interface covers configuration of both home network and WAN / LTE configuration.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

Question for anybody who has got it installed...
    The physical installation process..What does this entail..Is there a new dish landed on the roof/wall? How long does it take ?
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Have a look at the first page of the thread, there are pics!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

Dero wrote:
    Interesting. So that's three different types of CPE/router that they use; Green packet, Gemtek, and now Huawei.

Dero wrote:
    Do mind telling us which mast you're on and how far you are from it? I wonder do they use different gear for different conditions, or is it just whatever the guys have in the van?

Woodcockhill and very near mast. Lots of neighbouring houses got it and there's a variety of antenna up, some the square Huawei one like mine, and a few of the smaller Gemtek one

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭bellucio

morgana wrote: »
    Have a look at the first page of the thread, there are pics!

Perfect...Thanks morgana! Lazy me :p
    Stupid Q now, but I presume the installer does a test and figures out BEFORE he starts drilling and putting up the device that the connection is good!?!?!?:P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Woodcockhill and very near mast. Lots of neighbouring houses got it and there's a variety of antenna up, some the square Huawei one like mine, and a few of the smaller Gemtek one

Is that Woodcockhill, Cratloe?

I notice Cratloe is listed as one of the first areas to get FTTH .... makes me wonder if there is any connection :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

bellucio wrote: »
    Perfect...Thanks morgana! Lazy me :p
    Stupid Q now, but I presume the installer does a test and figures out BEFORE he starts drilling and putting up the device that the connection is good!?!?!?:P

Yea they try first where they get the best signal :P

Well it wasn't exactly an upgrade, that's why it's in quotes :-).

I had the Breeze service and they were decommisioning it, replacing it with the LTE service. It was basically "thanks for your custom but goodbye. Now, do you want our new service?" So essentially I'm a new customer. New physical installation, couldn't - wouldn't - use existing cabling. Installation fee? Of course. Speed much improved but a host of other issues that have left some of my internal network services stalled for four weeks.

Thanks. I've got a relative in a similar situation, Breeze mast due to be decommissioned. Did you try to bargain with them at all, threaten to leave etc to get out of the installation fee?

editorsean wrote: »
    Going by the router's instruction manual, all the configuration is done within the router's web interface as there is no separate IP address or web interface for the outdoor unit. This is different to the Greenpacket equipment where the indoor and outdoor units had separate web interfaces and the port forwarding had to be configured in the outdoor unit which only Imagine had the login details for.

So I reckon that if the user can log into the Huawei B2268H, they can do the port forwarding as this router's interface covers configuration of both home network and WAN / LTE configuration.

If that's the case, I wonder why they would give that customer a configurable router but not everyone else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

Yeah, you've just halved your wireless speed by buying the wrong type of device.

TP-LINK TL-WPA4220KIT AV500 Powerline 300 M Wi-Fi Extender/Wi-Fi Booster/Hotspot with Two Ethernet Ports, Starter Kit/Twin Pack (Easy Configuration, Wi-Fi Clone for Smartphone/Tablets/Laptop) https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00DHB2T44/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_07ESxbA3JT516
    This set is better, uses homeplugs to connect to the original router to properly extend your wireless on a different channel

Wow way to sound like a dick :-/
    I get the same speed with the extender as i do normally lad so believe what you like .

I agree the powerline adapters are great if they work but they dont work in every house and didnt work for me

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is that Woodcockhill, Cratloe?

I notice Cratloe is listed as one of the first areas to get FTTH .... makes me wonder if there is any connection :)
    Yes, that's Woodcock Hill beside Cratloe. However the mast itself will serve a lot of ground outside Cratloe. It's the primary TV & radio site for Co. Limerick & the primary wireless comms site for Limerick city and depending on range, county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

marno21 wrote: »
    Yes, that's Woodcock Hill beside Cratloe. However the mast itself will serve a lot of ground outside Cratloe. It's the primary TV & radio site for Co. Limerick & the primary wireless comms site for Limerick city and depending on range, county.

Any idea if Imagine cover in the other direction ..... towards Sixmilebridge, Newmarket-on-Fergus, Shannon?

BTW, I looked on the Imagine site and could not determine where the mast was located ..... will have to look more carefully I think.

Ffs. Right, cap or no cap I'm gonna have to go with Imagine and get used to monitoring my usage somehow. My Eircom connection has crapped out on me for the third time this week. It just get's a notion to kick devices off the connection. At any time it could end up that my laptop and say, my desktop or my smart tv, will have an internet connection but my dad's laptop won't, or my dad's laptop will have an internet connection, my laptop will have one and my desktop/anything else won't and no matter how much I reset the router/devices they won't connect back up until the next day. Really dunno what's happening.

****ing fed up with it. Ringing Imagine again in the morning for another update on my installation. Sooner it comes the better. Unfortunately missed out a chance to end my Eircom contract free of charge while waiting for Imagine though.

Thanks. I've got a relative in a similar situation, Breeze mast due to be decommissioned. Did you try to bargain with them at all, threaten to leave etc to get out of the installation fee?

No. There didn't seem to be any room for negotiation, the Breeze was being decommissioned so there was nothing to 'leave'. The new service was then either take it or leave it. In fairness - and I'm not that inclined to be fair at the minute! - the installation was indeed a new installation of a new service. You could argue that 'loyalty' should play some part but hey!

No. There didn't seem to be any room for negotiation, the Breeze was being decommissioned so there was nothing to 'leave'. The new service was then either take it or leave it. In fairness - and I'm not that inclined to be fair at the minute! - the installation was indeed a new installation of a new service. You could argue that 'loyalty' should play some part but hey!

Thanks again for the information.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

2 speed tests done on 2 different checkers . which to believe ?:confused:

5555721057.png

xFhPWNpLS.aXWV8IhH5.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

Testmy.net is generally believed to be more accurate. Ookla's Speedtest disregards the slowest 30% or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭df_h

Well the first one is a connection to Dublin the 2nd test is to London...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Signed up to this a few weeks ago as i was told my area was covered and i should have no problems in getting a signal. Installers arrived last Monday week and did their external tests. Told me they were getting a good signal, speeds of around 50MB - so they proceeded to install the equipment.
    During the install i detected that they were having issues with speed dropping. They were on the phone to HQ quite a bit trying to get to the bottom of it. They told me it was their first day installing this new equipment (Huawei antenna and router) - and that a software update they did on the equipment at the beginning had caused the issue - so they had to roll it back. After that all appeared to be good so they started to finish up the install and had gone to the point of bringing in the paperwork for me to sign.

At that point they gave me the password to connect to wifi, so i ran a speedtest and discovered the speed was at 2MB. Cue another phone call to HQ and more work with ladders/antenna etc. Finally, after 4.5 hours they gave up and said they had no choice but to pull everything down and put it down as a failed install. One of the guys said i was 30m outside of the radius (which to me is BS given that they were getting a strong signal from the mast). All this after boring holes into the gable of my house etc. Needless to say i wasn't best pleased, and phoned up Imagine to get my deposit back. That was all fine - they would put the money back into my account within 10 working days. 1 hour later i get a call from the same lady who said her supervisor had been in touch and said that works which were going on at the high site at the time of my install were probably causing the issues with the speed drop. They wanted to reschedule the install, once they found out if the works had caused the issue, and if all was resolved - so i agreed to this.

Now - while i may have agreed to it, i wasn't too happy, it certainly wasn't filling me with any great confidence about the service. I was supposed to receive a call back by Wednesday afternoon - but never did, so i called them. Was told that i would receive a call back by Thursday AM to confirm - but again never did. I phoned back on Thursday afternoon and was told that they were rescheduling the install for Monday 15th as issues would all be resolved at the high site by then.

Installers called me yesterday afternoon - "We're coming back". I asked them if everything was sorted and was told that it wasn't sorted yet but should be in the coming days. The install they had done earlier in te morning had speeds dropping to 9MB apparently. I then asked what was the point in even trying if it wasn't sorted - and the installer agreed. Said he would phone the scheduling team and ask them to put it off until all issues were resolved.

I ended up phoning the scheduling team myself yesterday evening and demanding my deposit back. Absolutely no confidence in this service after all that has gone on with trying to get the install done. Disappointing to say the least.

• Has anyone had issues with Port Forwarding?
    How is it handled?
    I remember years back you actually ahd to call imagine to get ports open, it wasn't possible to Port Forward on the Users end.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Has anyone had issues with Port Forwarding?
    How is it handled?
    I remember years back you actually ahd to call imagine to get ports open, it wasn't possible to Port Forward on the Users end.
    There have been several posts in this thread about this.

Like so much with this organisation, there are conflicting statements being made by the staff. I was told at installation that Technical Support would forward ports, no problem. When I rang TS I was told that actually they couldn't. Later told by someone in Magnet (I'm a Magnet Business account customer, don't ask me what the difference is) that Imagine will _NOT_ forward ports. Even later (yesterday) told that actually yes they would. Still waiting.

I had an Irish Broadband account until about 4 weeks ago, taken over by Imagine some time ago. Never had any problem with configuration of ports then.

Have to say, I have serious reservations about this service. Though the speed is great.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Mr Velo wrote: »
    Signed up to this a few weeks ago as i was told my area was covered and i should have no problems in getting a signal. Installers arrived last Monday week and did their external tests. Told me they were getting a good signal, speeds of around 50MB - so they proceeded to install the equipment.
    During the install i detected that they were having issues with speed dropping. They were on the phone to HQ quite a bit trying to get to the bottom of it. They told me it was their first day installing this new equipment (Huawei antenna and router) - and that a software update they did on the equipment at the beginning had caused the issue - so they had to roll it back. After that all appeared to be good so they started to finish up the install and had gone to the point of bringing in the paperwork for me to sign.

At that point they gave me the password to connect to wifi, so i ran a speedtest and discovered the speed was at 2MB. Cue another phone call to HQ and more work with ladders/antenna etc. Finally, after 4.5 hours they gave up and said they had no choice but to pull everything down and put it down as a failed install. One of the guys said i was 30m outside of the radius (which to me is BS given that they were getting a strong signal from the mast). All this after boring holes into the gable of my house etc. Needless to say i wasn't best pleased, and phoned up Imagine to get my deposit back. That was all fine - they would put the money back into my account within 10 working days. 1 hour later i get a call from the same lady who said her supervisor had been in touch and said that works which were going on at the high site at the time of my install were probably causing the issues with the speed drop. They wanted to reschedule the install, once they found out if the works had caused the issue, and if all was resolved - so i agreed to this.

Now - while i may have agreed to it, i wasn't too happy, it certainly wasn't filling me with any great confidence about the service. I was supposed to receive a call back by Wednesday afternoon - but never did, so i called them. Was told that i would receive a call back by Thursday AM to confirm - but again never did. I phoned back on Thursday afternoon and was told that they were rescheduling the install for Monday 15th as issues would all be resolved at the high site by then.

Installers called me yesterday afternoon - "We're coming back". I asked them if everything was sorted and was told that it wasn't sorted yet but should be in the coming days. The install they had done earlier in te morning had speeds dropping to 9MB apparently. I then asked what was the point in even trying if it wasn't sorted - and the installer agreed. Said he would phone the scheduling team and ask them to put it off until all issues were resolved.

I ended up phoning the scheduling team myself yesterday evening and demanding my deposit back. Absolutely no confidence in this service after all that has gone on with trying to get the install done. Disappointing to say the least.

Which site are you connected to?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

long_b wrote: »
    Mr Velo wrote: »

Which site are you connected to?

[font=arial, sans-serif]Tonabrocky (Galway)[/font]

• Registered Users Posts: 1 marie curley

Fyi Informed by Imagine Facebook that Athlone is to go Live in 10 days with installs commencing 14 days later following set up commissioning

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

df_h wrote: »
    Well the first one is a connection to Dublin the 2nd test is to London...

London will more than likely give the same results as Dublin on Speedtest.com

Top of the list is London and second is Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 galaxy01

Imagine smart phone App on iPhone?
    Anyone using this with ported landline number?
    Do calls to the old landline number automatically call the iPhone app?

Advertisement