Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

momo_32 wrote: »
    There have been several posts in this thread about this.

Like so much with this organisation, there are conflicting statements being made by the staff. I was told at installation that Technical Support would forward ports, no problem. When I rang TS I was told that actually they couldn't. Later told by someone in Magnet (I'm a Magnet Business account customer, don't ask me what the difference is) that Imagine will _NOT_ forward ports. Even later (yesterday) told that actually yes they would. Still waiting.

I had an Irish Broadband account until about 4 weeks ago, taken over by Imagine some time ago. Never had any problem with configuration of ports then.

Have to say, I have serious reservations about this service. Though the speed is great.

After reading all this discussion I called their support line and was told that I would have full config access to the router and could forward ports as required and that I could even use port 80. Of course, mine hasn't been installed yet, awaiting the install on a nearby hill which I'm not convinced I even have line of sight to.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

bpmurray wrote: »
    was told that I would have full config access to the router and could forward ports as required and that I could even use port 80.

Good luck with that...

I had mine installed this morning and I've been back and forth with "Support" all day to get simple config changes done. Honestly, I could have done it in thirty seconds myself, but no. Five hours in and the first line support guy I spoke to literally did not know what I was asking him. :-/

It seems he partially implemented it, and now I have to call them again and go through the whole rigmarole all over again.

Speed is so-so. Averaging around 40-50Mb. Best was 75Mb.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

Dero wrote: »
    Good luck with that...

I had mine installed this morning and I've been back and forth with "Support" all day to get simple config changes done. Honestly, I could have done it in thirty seconds myself, but no. Five hours in and the first line support guy I spoke to literally did not know what I was asking him. :-/

It seems he partially implemented it, and now I have to call them again and go through the whole rigmarole all over again.

Speed is so-so. Averaging around 40-50Mb. Best was 75Mb.

A couple of things
    Are they starting to instal in kilcullen area or was yours just ' a once off' I hav t seen an Imagine vans around any where
    Your 40- 50 mbs would seem quite good to me, you don't seem happy
    And lastly, I don't understand this configuration business, is that something I should be concerned about ?
    I just want the router connected, give the password and off I go like any other router and sync with my sky box and other devices

A couple of things
    Are they starting to instal in kilcullen area or was yours just ' a once off' I hav t seen an Imagine vans around any where
    Your 40- 50 mbs would seem quite good to me, you don't seem happy
    And lastly, I don't understand this configuration business, is that something I should be concerned about ?
    I just want the router connected, give the password and off I go like any other router and sync with my sky box and other devices

They are starting to install in the Kilcullen area, yes. They said I was the first, but they had a list of other customers to head off to.

I am happy with the speed, yes; even at 40Mb it's an 8x improvement. However, there have been quite slow tests today so I'm just not counting any chickens yet.

The configuration issues are absolutely nothing to worry about. I have a non-standard setup, and they're very much geared towards a standard setup.

They will indeed leave a router and a wifi key; plug it into your devices and off you go.

They are starting to install in the Kilcullen area, yes. They said I was the first, but they had a list of other customers to head off to.

I am happy with the speed, yes; even at 40Mb it's an 8x improvement. However, there have been quite slow tests today so I'm just not counting any chickens yet.

The configuration issues are absolutely nothing to worry about. I have a non-standard setup, and they're very much geared towards a standard setup.

They will indeed leave a router and a wifi key; plug it into your devices and off you go.

Ok thanks a lot for that info
    I'm off on hols in 2 weeks time so I hope I get a call before the end of next week

• Advertisement

Keep us posted on your speeds over the next few days

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

has anyone noticed a speed drop after 5 in the evening because I am getting for the last few days about 15Mbps to 23Mbps, after lunch today it was 59Mbps

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

jfcunniffe wrote: »
    has anyone noticed a speed drop after 5 in the evening because I am getting for the last few days about 15Mbps to 23Mbps, after lunch today it was 59Mbps

After 5 is typically peak time so yeah, more than likely everyone's speeds drop around then.

• Registered Users Posts: 36 jfcunniffe

hey Got a tweet from Imagine about google fiber going wireless would be nice if they come here No data caps

• Registered Users Posts: 18 momo_32

Good luck with that...

They do not seem to have either a consistent policy or a clue. Customer service is abysmal, no-one returns calls or emails. I am now four weeks waiting for movement on the ports issue and still nothing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,470 ✭✭✭highlydebased

I got 69mb at 6pm today and down to 58mb around half hour later

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

momo_32 wrote: »
    They do not seem to have either a consistent policy or a clue. Customer service is abysmal, no-one returns calls or emails. I am now four weeks waiting for movement on the ports issue and still nothing.

Yeah they pretty much don't want to know unless you ring the 1890 number.
    And even then, by the time you go through everything again with them, that person can't help you and you're back to square one. They say it's getting escalated, but nothing comes of it. It's actually like they're on commission with the phone calls. They don't make money on our emails.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Yeah they pretty much don't want to know unless you ring the 1890 number.
    And even then, by the time you go through everything again with them, that person can't help you and you're back to square one. They say it's getting escalated, but nothing comes of it. It's actually like they're on commission with the phone calls. They don't make money on our emails.

Just ring the normal number, no need to use the 1890 and pay for it.

01 437 5000

http://www.imagine.ie/get-in-touch/

• momo_32 wrote: »

Can you specific on what ports you need opened?
    Interested to know because there should be some standard utp / tcp ports that should be open by default if the service is considered to be anyway serious

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Can you specific on what ports you need opened?
    Interested to know because there should be some standard utp / tcp ports that should be open by default if the service is considered to be anyway serious

As standard as it comes - 80 for http and 22 for ssh.

• momo_32 wrote: »
    As standard as it comes - 80 for http and 22 for ssh.

That's it? I find it unacceptable in this day an age to have to ring a bloody provider to open ports which should be opened by default opened.

What about PS4 / Xbox / Steam etc

PS4: TCP: 80, 443, 1935, 3478-3480. UDP: 3478-3479.

Steam Client
    UDP 27000 to 27015 inclusive (Game client traffic)
    UDP 27015 to 27030 inclusive (Typically Matchmaking and HLTV)
    TCP 27014 to 27050 inclusive (Steam downloads)
    UDP 27031 and 27036 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
    TCP 27036 and 27037 (incoming, for In-Home Streaming)
    UDP 4380

Xbox One:

TCP: 53, 80, 3074.
    UDP: 53, 88, 500, 3074, 3544, 4500.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Be able configure it yourself, yes. Default open? No way. You're just increasing your attack surface.

• ED E wrote: »
    Be able configure it yourself, yes. Default open? No way.You're just increasing your attack surface.

Ok that's all well and good.
    I'm referring to the fact that you don't have the ability to port forward with this service. I haven't been able to get solid answer from Imagine and it's a bit wishy-washy from what I'm reading here.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Ok that's all well and good.
    I'm referring to the fact that you don't have the ability to port forward with this service. I haven't been able to get solid answer from Imagine and it's a bit wishy-washy from what I'm reading here.

A few points on this:
    • You need to distinguish between ingress or egress wrt open ports. Most of the ports listed above refer to egress, and all ports should be open.
    • Forwarding ports for ingress will be a pain with this service. *Everything* has to go through support, and their first line support are not good enough technically, and their network is not set up well for port forwarding.
    • The Huawei router has UPnP. You could ask them to enable it, but expect a lengthy and frustrating conversation, and I don't know if it would work anyway. Depends on how their network is configured for Internet access.

As always, and especially with Imagine, YMMV...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

It's a common thing for providers to block port 80 but usually they have a higher tier businesss package they can get you sign up to. Looks like this crowd don't want business customers at all. It's a sh1tty decision not to allow bridging of the router to allow use of your own one.

Consoles and games will use upnp to open ports if it's enabled

• Advertisement

It's a common thing for providers to block port 80 but usually they have a higher tier businesss package they can get you sign up to. Looks like this crowd don't want business customers at all. It's a sh1tty decision not to allow bridging of the router to allow use of your own one.

Consoles and games will use upnp to open ports if it's enabled
    Hmmm. I have that package - via Magnet who took over their "business" accounts. As far as I can see
    there is no difference between Magnet Business and Imagine Residential except that it's more layers to be bounced around!

And yes, of course, what we're talking about here is incoming traffic and port forwarding.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 434 ✭✭Ruffty^

Mr Velo wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Tonabrocky (Galway)[/font]

I'm on this site, I haven't noticed any speed issues in the last few days.

I got a txt from imagine back on 05/08/2016 saying they were working on the site and the service may be down for a few mins (turned out to be a few hours). Haven't noticed any issues since.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I hope that if/when this service comes to my area that it will be more reliable than who i am currently with.

Paying €60 for just internet. 10 down 3 up.

After 8 pm it drops to between 1-3 down and 1 up. Guessing congestion :(

You call the guy who installed it, he says he will make some calls, he just pawns you off.

You call the call centre, there is at least 4 or 5 working on sales and only 1 tech guy, who i dont even think exists.

Imagine text me today saying it was now available in my county but its only listed in areas the opposite side of the county :(

Hopefully they will reach me by the time my 12 month contract is up in 10 months.

Rossi IRL wrote: »
    I hope that if/when this service comes to my area that it will be more reliable than who i am currently with.

Paying €60 for just internet. 10 down 3 up.

After 8 pm it drops to between 1-3 down and 1 up. Guessing congestion :(

You call the guy who installed it, he says he will make some calls, he just pawns you off.

You call the call centre, there is at least 4 or 5 working on sales and only 1 tech guy, who i dont even think exists.

Imagine text me today saying it was now available in my county but its only listed in areas the opposite side of the county :(

Hopefully they will reach me by the time my 12 month contract is up in 10 months.

Why don't you say what part of the country you are in???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

Had a call from Imagine today advising that the Tountinna (West of Nenagh) site will be active by end of September. I am about 14 km south of Tountinna so I might give it a try.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Has anyone had their download speed throttled?

Mine was fantastic this evening and its crap all night.

Normally averages 45mbps and tonight it's 2.5. It often sits at 75mb for ages too.

If I switch off the router, it goes back to 45 but drops again the second I put it through a speedtest and I am not downloading anything tonight either and haven't been.

Ping is the same as always and upload is good but I have no where near 10gb used today let alone 20

What's all this crap about resets at midnight too?? This is how it's been since late evening and right through to now :(

The second I turn off the router it's back to 45 but do a speedtest, its back down and stays down until I reset again.

amadablam wrote: »
    Has anyone had their download speed throttled?

Mine was fantastic this evening and its crap all night.

Normally averages 45mbps and tonight it's 2.5. It often sits at 75mb for ages too.

If I switch off the router, it goes back to 45 but drops again the second I put it through a speedtest and I am not downloading anything tonight either and haven't been.

Ping is the same as always and upload is good but I have no where near 10gb used today let alone 20

What's all this crap about resets at midnight too?? This is how it's been since late evening and right through to now :(

The second I turn off the router it's back to 45 but do a speedtest, its back down and stays down until I reset again.

Besides what your speed test is saying what's going on, have you actually noticed a slowdown in your broadband performance

Yep, mine is doing exactly the same.

Do you have a Huawei CPE? If so, that's probably the cause. I believe there is a bug that triggers under certain signal conditions and causes the speed to drop to ~2mbps until power-cycled.

Imagine/Huawei are aware of it, so ring and ask them if that's what is affecting you.

Fix coming soon apparently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Yep, mine is doing exactly the same.

Do you have a Huawei CPE? If so, that's probably the cause. I believe there is a bug that triggers under certain signal conditions and causes the speed to drop to ~2mbps until power-cycled.

Imagine/Huawei are aware of it, so ring and ask them if that's what is affecting you.

Fix coming soon apparently.
    Ruffty^ wrote: »
    Mr Velo wrote: »
    [font=arial, sans-serif]Tonabrocky (Galway)[/font]

I'm on this site, I haven't noticed any speed issues in the last few days.

I got a txt from imagine back on 05/08/2016 saying they were working on the site and the service may be down for a few mins (turned out to be a few hours). Haven't noticed any issues since.

Looks like the issue i was having during install was what Dero is describing there. It was the Huawei equipment that was being installed, and while they were getting speeds of 40MB+ , it was dropping to under 2MB when all was in place.
    I had asked if they could put the antenna up on our chimney - as this is where we had the Irish Broadband (breeze) antenna in the past, as well as a Lightnet antenna (both pointing to Tonabruckey) - but they didn't seem interested in going up there.

Phoned Imagine again last night explaining - and they say we should have been installed, and that the installers should have put a 10ft pole on the gable if they were having any signal issues, and should also have tried the chimney. Looks like an install is going to be rearranged again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Besides what your speed test is saying what's going on, have you actually noticed a slowdown in your broadband performance

Yes massively.

Downloads on Android apps and phone were staying at 1.7/2.5 mbps average.

There were only small files too.

Advertisement