Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

Wing126 wrote: »
    So, correct me if I misunderstood, one day a week we can technically use up to 120Gb? Or have an extra 7Gb a day, or split it up when needed?

That would be a decent enough alternative to the 12-7 window. Not quite the same, but a very acceptable solution.

I think you've misread the previous text. What he was saying is that Imagine are discussing an extra 50gb quota that can be used during a 7 day period.
    This could be used on top of a single day's 20gb quota, totalling 70GB for that day. The other 6 days would have 20gb, totalling 190GB total for the week.

Alternatively you could spread the 50gb across different days

Mon 20GB
    Tues 30GB (20 + 10GB from Extra)
    Wed 40GB (20 + 20GB from Extra)
    Thurs 20GB
    Fri 40GB (20 + 20GB from Extra)
    Sat 20GB
    Sun 20GB
    etc.

Ultimately, this would be great news to allow people like myself to update games on Steam, etc without worrying about throttling due to quota usage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

NakQuada wrote: »
    I think you've misread the previous text. What he was saying is that Imagine are discussing an extra 50gb quota that can be used during a 7 day period.
    This could be used on top of a single day's 20gb quota, totalling 70GB for that day. The other 6 days would have 20gb, totalling 190GB total for the week.

Alternatively you could spread the 50gb across different days

Mon 20GB
    Tues 30GB (20 + 10GB from Extra)
    Wed 40GB (20 + 20GB from Extra)
    Thurs 20GB
    Fri 40GB (20 + 20GB from Extra)
    Sat 20GB
    Sun 20GB
    etc.

Ultimately, this would be great news to allow people like myself to update games on Steam, etc without worrying about throttling due to quota usage.

Yeah, my confusion came from the fact that a 70Gb instant throttle limit was already mentioned before in the thread, so I was assuming this 50Gb was in addition to that.

Still decent enough and will allow for those days where new games and game updates come.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Goreme wrote: »
    No he just used the Three sim, through one of those small Three MiFi receivers you leave in the window. And the limit is just 60GB per month, on an 18 month contract. Is there some way around that limit?

That's because he has a 3 broadband contract. Once his contract is up, just get a PAYG sim in it, top up 20 once per month and it will give him unlimited data on the All You Can Eat plan. They say there is a fair use policy, but its not true, I've done it for years. Before I had Imagine it was my only source of internet use and I regularly used hundreds of GB per month file sharing.

If buying the PAYG sim from a shop, he cannot tell them he is going to put it in the Mifi router, as its not meant to be done officially. Just buy it and that's it. He will still have the 20 credit, it will build up and up each month, so he could put it in a handset every now and again and use that for calls if he wanted.
    Thanks for the info. Did you find however, that Imagine LTE was much faster than the 4G system you formerly used from Three?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

long_b wrote: »
    Would you be completely surrounded by trees/mostly surrounded by trees/just a couple of trees in the way? Distance from mast?

I have a rookery at the side of me very close about 50 metres and very high,that's where the signal is coming from, a about 6 kms from mast, however the good news , I was on to my present bb supplier Regional bb and they informed me my signal was low and are sending out a service man to fix the problem next week, that signal comes from a different direction with no trees etc, if I can get 5-10 mbs for most of the day I'm happy as I would be doing a bit of Sky catch up, streaming,maybe the odd box set download and I can do that off peak period. So all you guys only getting 25 mbs, think of me struggling on 2-5 at times and maybe lower!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

Installed on Wednesday (Limerick Crecora) and my download is at 6 -8mb and upload 12-15mb.
    I was informed like others that the speed issue is a Huawei bug and a fix will be released ASAP.
    Anyone any info on this, are you still experiencing this issue?
    They also said they would add credit on my bill as 6mb was not acceptable

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

jasgrif11 wrote: »
    Installed on Wednesday (Limerick Crecora) and my download is at 6 -8mb and upload 12-15mb.
    I was informed like others that the speed issue is a Huawei bug and a fix will be released ASAP.
    Anyone any info on this, are you still experiencing this issue?
    They also said they would add credit on my bill as 6mb was not acceptable

I'm limerick too and yes I had a few nights and days with 2-3mbps due to this issue but it's not all the time.

55-75 all evening with spikes to 88 and one drop that I noticed down to 2 again.

Its a pretty decent service when it's going right.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

amadablam wrote: »
    I'm limerick too and yes I had a few nights and days with 2-3mbps due to this issue but it's not all the time.

55-75 all evening with spikes to 88 and one drop that I noticed down to 2 again.

Its a pretty decent service when it's going right.

How long has this issue been in place? I'd say I've completed 70 speed checks at various times and my speeds are consistent at the 6-8mb mark

jasgrif11 wrote: »
    How long has this issue been in place? I'd say I've completed 70 speed checks at various times and my speeds are consistent at the 6-8mb mark

Apparently the issue is triggered by certain conditions. I had it a few days but switch off the router and it goes back to normal speed but will continually drop if the router is in that error mode.

6-8 is appalling to be honest. Mine are averaging 50 all evening and spiking at 80-85 now.

Try power cycling and retesting a few times.

My worst speeds have been on the first two days after installation and the two days where this error was triggered.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

Thanks for the info. Did you find however, that Imagine LTE was much faster than the 4G system you formerly used from Three?

Yes, much faster and much more reliable so far.

4G would sometimes go down to less than 2Mb at times, many times actually. Streaming even at 720 on youtube was no dead cert, I would often buffer. Other times I could get 30-40Mb, usually late at night.

With Imagine the slowest I have ever had is over 50Mb, but almost always around 80+Mb. I check frequently too.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,445 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

Is there a site in Limerick on Knockfeerina? Ex TV deflector site?

• Advertisement

Dero wrote: »
    Not yet, it's still a work-in-progress. They're making encouraging noises, but we shall see...

Let's see if they can get the speed issues sorted first. It's all moot when it tops out at 2mbps!

I'm thinking the issue is weather related because it's a very wet, windy and cloudy here today and speed keeps dropping to 2mbps :( did my downloading last night so its ok but still annoying.

He probably tethers on a PAYG or on a contract sim, rather than the 3 broadband sim. Its unlimited, no download cap at all. Technically it's not supported by 3, but they don't stop you.
    What difference is there in going with Imagine LTE or using Three's 4G service. Are the download speeds a lot faster with Imaging LTE?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

What difference is there in going with Imagine LTE or using Three's 4G service. Are the download speeds a lot faster with Imaging LTE?

Yes, Imagine is fixed wireless. There is an install giving the best possible signal to everyone with nobody connected with weak signals.

Yes, Imagine is fixed wireless. There is an install giving the best possible signal to everyone with nobody connected with weak signals.
    Thanks, I see lots of speeds quoted and graphs on this forum for Imagine LTE. Does anyone have any actual comparisons and data comparing how Three 4G and Imagine LTE compare?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Thanks, I see lots of speeds quoted and graphs on this forum for Imagine LTE. Does anyone have any actual comparisons and data comparing how Three 4G and Imagine LTE compare?

You're comparing apples and oranges, one is a fixed system with complete control, the other is nomadic system with no control therefore speeds will vary.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

irishchris wrote: »
    Had long conversation with customer support about the limits.. Said at the moment they have a 50gb boost that can be used at either 70gb in one day or multiples throughout the week that add up to the 50gb extra.. Said it is still being looked at and originally the boost was to be once a month but they have now decided on a once a week.
    He also said the 15gb warning email will trigger it regardless of this but you will still have the 50gb boost and the warning was more as a way of informing customers until the web portal is live. They have also supposedly changed the wording of the warning email as have poor advice regards security updates etc.
    If this is all true I'm more than happy with that and would only prob be every few weeks where I would need to use more than the 20gb daily

Hey Chris, isn't it yourself who's on the Wexford mast with myself?
    Have you ran speed tests today? What you getting? Mine are dire.
    Just like to know if it's the mast or just me.

5569437633.png

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

I'm on the Wexford mast really poor speeds all weekend 0.5 down 0.2 up yesterday evening. Does the weather affect the signal or is this what we can expect all winter when more users are on?

Johnfred wrote: »
    I'm on the Wexford mast really poor speeds all weekend 0.5 down 0.2 up yesterday evening. Does the weather affect the signal or is this what we can expect all winter when more users are on?

I have been with various fixed wireless providers for years, and although bad weather can affect signal strength, I've never seen it affect it as much as this.
    I'm concerned about the wexford mast so. Mine a very poor, but your speeds are terrible.
    What are you averaging speed-wise on an average evening?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Hey Chris, isn't it yourself who's on the Wexford mast with myself?
    Have you ran speed tests today? What you getting? Mine are dire.
    Just like to know if it's the mast or just me.

5569437633.png
    Hi mate, no I'm off the Galway mast. Checked speed few times tonight and all 60+ this evening. They are fairly atrocious speeds you e getting.. Let us know how you get on with imagine tomorrow if they give reason for speeds being so bad

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Could you be using the Huawei gear - that seems to be a problem?

Reboot the router and see if your speeds pick back up.

• Advertisement

No I've green packet router. 5 down 2 up at the moment. Have tried reboot but no improvement. I will ring tomorrow to see if they can explain the slow speeds.

No I've green packet router. 5 down 2 up at the moment. Have tried reboot but no improvement. I will ring tomorrow to see if they can explain the slow speeds.

I'm the same. Using greenpacket router. Rebooting makes no difference.
    If anything, I think it makes it worse.

Don't forget, ring on the 01 437 5000 number, not the 1890. Don't give them any more money than they already get of us.

As usual, next morning, speeds are back up. This was not weather-related. This was nothing more than the same peak-time over-used contention issue.
    What are your speeds like this morning JohnFred?

5570416498.png

40 down 4 up. Obviously has something to do with contention.

40 down 4 up. Obviously has something to do with contention.

They will swear blind there couldn't be a contention issue, but the speed tests speak for themselves. The more crowded the Wexford mast becomes, the worse the speeds are.

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=ca0743c0b8cf444e2d91bc3118335acd&ria=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Dinerve wrote: »
    That's really odd, last night a bit after midnight I was upgrading and restoring my iPhone; It failed and had to re-download all of my apps twice.

Went to bed a bit after 03:00; This morning at 08:30 i got this new, improved Warning email:

"Dear customer,

We have noticed that your data upload and download usage has exceeded 15Gb, representing 75% of your available daily data usage allowance of 20Gb.

Once your data usage exceeds 20Gb in any 24 hour period, your service will be slowed down until midnight were upon both your speed and your data usage allowance will be reset for the next 24 hour period.

Below are some useful tips that may help you to control your data usage:

If you have a wireless or home network, it's important that your connection is secure and encrypted correctly to prevent other people accessing your connection and data usage.
    Consider turning off automatic updates, instead controlling them manually
    A virus or spyware that downloads onto your computer can chew up your usage, so you should ensure you have good security software that has both virus and spyware protection.

Be conscious of Using game consoles including Xbox and PlayStation® to play games online, as well as downloading files to your console.

Many Thanks,

Imagine LTE.

Connecting rural Ireland to fibre"

That's the 6th email I got in 2,5 weeks of service. Judging by the different responses in here it feels almost like I'm being bullied, let alone spammed!

How come one of us downloads almost 60gigs with no warning? Others get throttled with no warning and I'm getting spammed?

Very dodgy stance from our ISP.....
    irishchris wrote: »
    Had long conversation with customer support about the limits.. Said at the moment they have a 50gb boost that can be used at either 70gb in one day or multiples throughout the week that add up to the 50gb extra.. Said it is still being looked at and originally the boost was to be once a month but they have now decided on a once a week.
    He also said the 15gb warning email will trigger it regardless of this but you will still have the 50gb boost and the warning was more as a way of informing customers until the web portal is live. They have also supposedly changed the wording of the warning email as have poor advice regards security updates etc.
    If this is all true I'm more than happy with that and would only prob be every few weeks where I would need to use more than the 20gb daily

Has anybody had a recent (last couple of days) warning e-mail from Imagine?

Did it still include the suggestion to turn off automatic updates?

Rang support and they said there were no issues with the Forth Mountain mast over the weekend,also there is no way contention can cause slow speeds due to LTE's algorithmical configuration.

They suggest ringing before 8pm when experiencing low speeds so they can have a look at whats going on with my connection.

• Ridiculous that they warn you every time when in fact in this day and age 20gb is pretty standard tbh
    As for turning off automatic updates?? Such a ridiculous statement.
    What about users who are not in any way tech savy? Turn it off and leave there PCs exposed? Nonsense

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

Anyone know if the "Huawei Bug" has been fixed as of yet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Rang support and they said there were no issues with the Forth Mountain mast over the weekend,also there is no way contention can cause slow speeds due to LTE's algorithmical configuration.

They suggest ringing before 8pm when experiencing low speeds so they can have a look at whats going on with my connection.

Haha, trying to make up jargon to put you off. Talking through their proverbials.

Advertisement