Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 365 ✭✭jayo99

Just got the call.. Installation due to happen tomorrow.. I'm on the kilcullen mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

jayo99 wrote: »
    Just got the call.. Installation due to happen tomorrow.. I'm on the kilcullen mast.

Where abouts are you, I had an installation test last Friday and failed because of trees, however I feel there is a fundamental problem about Calverstown as its down in a steep hollow. All of the present wireless signal bb n Calverstown comes from the south/southwest where you have clear sight, the imagine signal is coming from the east in kilcullen

on the cut bush side.. lot of trees between the mast and me so fingers crossed...

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Chef-1st

Johnfred wrote: »
    Rang support and they said there were no issues with the Forth Mountain mast over the weekend,also there is no way contention can cause slow speeds due to LTE's algorithmical configuration.

They suggest ringing before 8pm when experiencing low speeds so they can have a look at whats going on with my connection.

Unbelievable. I am sick of their denial regarding this peak-time issue.
    Do they honestly think that is an acceptable excuse? Their "configuration" doesn't work - simple. What they know too is that the speeds usually don't drop low until around or after 8pm. So there is no point ringing then.
    What else could it be except contention?
    Like really...I'm asking anyone out there, with more technical knowledge than myself, could it be anything other than all the users online using the one bandwidth at the same time??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

jayo99 wrote: »
    on the cut bush side.. lot of trees between the mast and me so fingers crossed...

If the trees arnt on top of you like mine you should be ok

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Chef-1st wrote: »
    Unbelievable. I am sick of their denial regarding this peak-time issue.
    Do they honestly think that is an acceptable excuse? Their "configuration" doesn't work - simple. What they know too is that the speeds usually don't drop low until around or after 8pm. So there is no point ringing then.
    What else could it be except contention?
    Like really...I'm asking anyone out there, with more technical knowledge than myself, could it be anything other than all the users online using the one bandwidth at the same time??

I think we all know unfortunately it is the contention as much as imagine like the fairytale of a product that does not suffer from it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,300 ✭✭✭highdef

Got my install done this evening. About 1200m from the mast at Cappagh (near Kilcock) and have line of site. Tested on a wired connection....was well impressed: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5572077540

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

highdef wrote: »
    Got my install done this evening. About 1200m from the mast at Cappagh (near Kilcock) and have line of site. Tested on a wired connection....was well impressed: http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5572077540

Fuuuuuuuu.....

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

irishchris wrote: »
    I think we all know unfortunately it is the contention as much as imagine like the fairytale of a product that does not suffer from it
    I have seen some posts where people who have looked at the Imagine's offering and what they already have with their current 4G set up (like Three 4G), and decided to stay with 4G. Could someone tell me some their reasons for staying with a 4G network instead of going to Imagine LTE. Thanks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Goreme wrote: »
    I have seen some posts where people who have looked at the Imagine's offering and what they already have with their current 4G set up (like Three 4G), and decided to stay with 4G. Could someone tell me some their reasons for staying with a 4G network instead of going to Imagine LTE. Thanks.

There are a few reasons to pick Three mobile over Imagine Three is mobile, you can bring it with you. Three do all you can eat data packages. Three do monthly contracts, no lock into a contract or may already have a contract.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

highdef wrote: »

Well done :) great results

I had mine last week and got similar speeds and have done on and off since until this 'Huawei error' they are talking about kicks in and everything is down to 2mbps down and 6+ up.

This seems to happen quite regularly, especially if the weather is in any way bad. A power cycle immediately brings they speed back up but it drops within minutes again

Part of me is beginning to think its a contention issue also even though their tech support insist that with a limit of 400 users in each area, there is capacity to ensure that they can provide above the minimum 30 mbps all the time.

Keep us updated on whether or not your speed stays consistent.

• Registered Users Posts: 86 ✭✭df_h

Mine have stayed remarkably consistent since I signed up

* Co. Galway, abbeyknockmoy mast
    * Using their early greenpacket equipment
    * Some of tests done while rest of family might watching youtube etc
    * Done on wired connection (which is limited to 100mbit anyways, maybe less being a really crap router)
    * Direct line of sight, ~2.5km from mast, some tops of trees in way

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

df_h wrote: »
    * Direct line of sight, ~2.5km from mast, some tops of trees in way

How far away are said trees, and how dense?

I only noticed the other day that my installers picked a really poor place for the antenna. It's actually pointing through the top of a tall hedge about ~100 metres away. If they'd placed it about half a metre higher it would be clear.

Having said that, I have hit 60-75mb on occasion, so it may be a non-issue. However, since it mostly gets hard limited to ~2.5mb by the "Huawei bug", it's impossible to tell.

Still though, it irks me that they could have chosen a better location without even moving their ladder but didn't bother their arse.

They are about 75 meters away lower down hill, some sort of tall evergreens, mast can be see thru gaps in branches (so not very thick).

The installers said something about perfect signal so I dont think they were too worried, I presume I would have been able to get another 5-10 mbit if the equipment was better, but im quite happy as is.

Will keep testing in case it all goes downhill

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Dero wrote: »
    How far away are said trees, and how dense?

I only noticed the other day that my installers picked a really poor place for the antenna. It's actually pointing through the top of a tall hedge about ~100 metres away. If they'd placed it about half a metre higher it would be clear.

Having said that, I have hit 60-75mb on occasion, so it may be a non-issue. However, since it mostly gets hard limited to ~2.5mb by the "Huawei bug", it's impossible to tell.

Still though, it irks me that they could have chosen a better location without even moving their ladder but didn't bother their arse.

From reading the thread it seems that they'll put in a big effort to get you over the 30 Mb (so that they can "get the install") but after that maybe they're not so pushed?

May depend on the team though?

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. They were getting ~40mb from the "easy" spot, so they didn't bother trying to optimise it. My attitude would be to optimise every install regardless, but then maybe I'm a weirdo.

Once the software issues are sorted I'll consider moving it, but there's no point until then anyway. Troubleshooting 101; fix one thing at a time, or you'll never know which action fixed it (or made it worse).

Yep, that pretty much sums it up. They were getting ~40mb from the "easy" spot, so they didn't bother trying to optimise it. My attitude would be to optimise every install regardless, but then maybe I'm a weirdo.

Once the software issues are sorted I'll consider moving it, but there's no point until then anyway. Troubleshooting 101; fix one thing at a time, or you'll never know which action fixed it (or made it worse).

When they came around I just pointed at the roof and the chimney breast, despite some grumblin they climbed up and attached it there.

So it could be a case of just having to be insistent (in a nice polite way) to the installers and sign the form allowing them to climb the roof.

Well that's the thing. In my case, they had to climb the roof either way. The optimal location is on the same chimney, just ~half a metre higher. I don't think it's a major issue in terms of signal propagation/attenuation, but in my head, clear visual line of sight is better than through a hedge, even at 3.6Ghz.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Redlim

Is there anyone here that has installed this and is living on the outer limits on the signal maps, i.e. 12+ km? If so, are the speeds good/consistent?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,231 ✭✭✭leex

Redlim wrote: »
    Is there anyone here that has installed this and is living on the outer limits on the signal maps, i.e. 12+ km? If so, are the speeds good/consistent?

I'm 18'ish km.

Speedtests: http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=aecde9c6a966e2a552333f79b461f612&ria=0

There is the odd dip below 30mbps but they're more isolated than the norm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

Just signed up yesterday, how long is it taking before people are getting installed ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 329 ✭✭Redlim

leex wrote: »
    I'm 18'ish km.

Speedtests: http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=aecde9c6a966e2a552333f79b461f612&ria=0

There is the odd dip below 30mbps but they're more isolated than the norm.

Great, thanks a mill for that.

My area is just gone/going live and I'm on the outer parts. Unfortunately we're in a blank spot on their coverage map but don't understand why as there should be decent line of site to the mast out the back of our house. When I spoke to them they did say the map may be updated over the coming weeks/months.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Just signed up yesterday, how long is it taking before people are getting installed ?

Depends on whether the mast is live in your area or waiting to be installed.

I waited 6+ weeks for the mast to go live but had a home installation the following week within two days of them calling me

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

Johnfred wrote: »
    also there is no way contention can cause slow speeds due to LTE's algorithmical configuration.

Jesus wept. It's wireless PTMP. Of course it's contended! Looks like the support staff have drunk the Kool Aid.

Wow, nice.

That's the same mast as myself (and not too far away from me if you're Cut Bush area). That's the sort of speed I was hoping to get. Enjoy it, but don't use all the lovely bandwidth before I get there! :pac:

Wow, nice.

That's the same mast as myself (and not too far away from me if you're Cut Bush area). That's the sort of speed I was hoping to get. Enjoy it, but don't use all the lovely bandwidth before I get there! :pac:

LOL :)

• jayo99 wrote: »

What location?

The midlands are going live in the next 2 - 3 weeks I think.

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    What location?

The midlands are going live in the next 2 - 3 weeks I think.

Old Kilcullen mast, Co. Kildare

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7 galaxy01

Got installed yesterday. Very positive experience so far.
    My wife saw the advert on Facebook last Monday night and replied. Got a call next day and signed up including a landline transfer. Got call on Friday to advise install would be Monday 0900-1300.
    Got a call at 08:30 they were in their way. Arrived 0900. Very professional team.
    They went out of their way to squeeze as much as possible out of the connection including trying both chimneys and a 10 foot pole.
    I can't post but wired speed test was 65 down and 4 up. Last night it was averaging around 55.
    Gemtek router was used. Wifi range is okay but I have a bungalow so I already had a home plug wifi setup. The phone will transfer in 5 days.
    Much better than the VF 3 m DSL I had.
    So far I'm very happy.
    Btw I am 9k from the Ben Dash mast in Drimeen East Co Clare.

Advertisement