Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,109 ✭✭✭Redriddick

Where can ya see what masts are live

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

Redriddick wrote: »
    Where can ya see what masts are live

Go here and click on your county. The maps are not very good there, but they'll give an idea. There's also a list of covered areas within the county.

For upcoming masts being launched, I think their Facebook page is the most actively updated channel.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

jayo99 wrote: »
    Old Kilcullen mast, Co. Kildare

Do you have line of sight?

• long_b wrote: »
    Do you have line of sight?

Strange.

They told me on the phone that line of sight doesn't matter :confused:

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Strange.

Remember that the people on the phones are non-technical sales people whose remit is to sign you up. Read into that what you will.

Line of sight is not as critical with a modern system such as LTE than with older radio systems. Ultimately though, physics is physics, so the clearer the path to the mast, the better the signal *quality*. Some obstructions, such as buildings can cause reflections etc. which the system has to tease out and detangle in software. This degrades the signal quality (as opposed to strength), leading ultimately to lower connection speeds. other obstructions such as dense vegetation just absorb the signal to the point that you just can't maintain a reliable connection. The same goes for hills, but even more so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    Strange.

There's a great description of why line of sight helps in this thread from a while back. Worth reading (sorry I couldn't find it there myself!)

Also, Sales people lie/exaggerate/are incredibly optimistic (take your pick)

• Registered Users Posts: 225 ✭✭K3v

Where abouts are you, I had an installation test last Friday and failed because of trees, however I feel there is a fundamental problem about Calverstown as its down in a steep hollow. All of the present wireless signal bb n Calverstown comes from the south/southwest where you have clear sight, the imagine signal is coming from the east in kilcullen

I rang Imagine yesterday to find out when they will be installing in my area. They had no set date for the Athy area, but said the mast would be placed on the Minch Norton building. I don't know if you will be within range or have line of sight of that mast when it comes operational. Might be worth a try.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

Goreme wrote: »
    I have seen some posts where people who have looked at the Imagine's offering and what they already have with their current 4G set up (like Three 4G), and decided to stay with 4G. Could someone tell me some their reasons for staying with a 4G network instead of going to Imagine LTE. Thanks.

There are a few reasons to pick Three mobile over Imagine Three is mobile, you can bring it with you. Three do all you can eat data packages. Three do monthly contracts, no lock into a contract or may already have a contract.
    Thanks. So why are people choosing Imagine LTE over Three 4G, especially as so many people seem to be maintaining that there Imagine LTE's speeds are not that great at peak times (despite Imagine LTE claiming that the isn't any deterioration during peak (evening) times?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

Thanks. So why are people choosing Imagine LTE over Three 4G, especially as so many people seem to be maintaining that there Imagine LTE's speeds are not that great at peak times (despite Imagine LTE claiming that the isn't any deterioration during peak (evening) times?

Have a gander at three forum and look at the mess.

• Registered Users Posts: 242 ✭✭Goreme

guil wrote: »

Have a gander at three forum and look at the mess.
    Do you have a link to it?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Because the Three network is in bits, it's over sold and has all you can eat packages (which should not be sold on mobile). As I've already said, as it's mobile there is no control. There are several providers using the Three network, Tesco, Id mobile, 48, Virgin, Lycamobile, Blueface.

http://touch.boards.ie/forum/1367

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,106 ✭✭✭SpannerMonkey

anyone have an issue there the router for no reason just locks up and starts resetting itself repeatedly. happens maybe once every 2 days for a few mins i. i usually power it off and on again and its fine again ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Sounds like its possibly pulling a fw update and failing. Support will tell you if its the case or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Johnfred

Johnfred wrote: »
    Rang support and they said there were no issues with the Forth Mountain mast over the weekend,also there is no way contention can cause slow speeds due to LTE's algorithmical configuration.

They suggest ringing before 8pm when experiencing low speeds so they can have a look at whats going on with my connection.

Strange since I rang them my speeds haven't dropped below 30. Have they done something even though they said there was nothing wrong!

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

galaxy01 wrote: »
    Got installed yesterday. Very positive experience so far.
    My wife saw the advert on Facebook last Monday night and replied. Got a call next day and signed up including a landline transfer. Got call on Friday to advise install would be Monday 0900-1300.
    Got a call at 08:30 they were in their way. Arrived 0900. Very professional team.
    They went out of their way to squeeze as much as possible out of the connection including trying both chimneys and a 10 foot pole.
    I can't post but wired speed test was 65 down and 4 up. Last night it was averaging around 55.
    Gemtek router was used. Wifi range is okay but I have a bungalow so I already had a home plug wifi setup. The phone will transfer in 5 days.
    Much better than the VF 3 m DSL I had.
    So far I'm very happy.
    Btw I am 9k from the Ben Dash mast in Drimeen East Co Clare.

I wish everyone's experience was so good. i signed up a month ago. Haven't had any contact what so ever from them. I was told by the sales rep that the service would be active by the 2nd week in august and i would be contacted before to have an install. No Contact. I called them last Thursday as they were sponsoring a local festival and demonstrating the LTE connection there. The rep on the phone told me the service still had not been activated. I proceeded to ask him if it is not activated why can i go to the next village (same mast) and use it at the festival to which i got a pause and no real answer. i have now been told the mast will not be active for another 3-4 weeks even tho it is clearly already active. Surely it would make more sense to provide the service to the people who are willing to pay for it rather than demonstrate it and tell your future customers (who have already paid you an install fee) that it is not available yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 xtreme rebel

Got this installed a few days ago. Well impressed with the speeds in rural Cork, so much better than what I was getting with Airwave.

Quick question, how does one log into the router? The engineer said I couldn't.....but surely there's a way?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

It was just discussed a page ago. You can't.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 momo_32

If you reset the router it will default to username=admin password=admin. However you will also lose all settings, including any authentication needed for the VOIP facility if that matters to you. Then again, if you ask for port forwarding the techs will ask you to do just that anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

9726_9726 wrote: »
    Jesus wept. It's wireless PTMP. Of course it's contended! Looks like the support staff have drunk the Kool Aid.

I think I have figured out their secret LTE's algorithmical configuration! :p

Complain enough and things get better (you don't have to contend as much as those who don't complain) . Mine was dire and the huawei error was being blamed so I contacted them over and over and eventually questioned the legality of selling something that couldn't deliver the service promised.

Things have been great since with very rare drops below 50mb regardless of time of day and 80+ at times for the past two days after almost a week of crap. Fingers crossed that it will stay this way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,271 ✭✭✭TireeTerror

amadablam wrote: »
    I think I have figured out their secret LTE's algorithmical configuration! :p

Complain enough and things get better (you don't have to contend as much as those who don't complain) . Mine was dire and the huawei error was being blamed so I contacted them over and over and eventually questioned the legality of selling something that couldn't deliver the service promised.

Things have been great since with very rare drops below 50mb regardless of time of day and 80+ at times for the past two days after almost a week of crap. Fingers crossed that it will stay this way.

FFS dont tell everyone or it will be crap again! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 728 ✭✭✭robert muldoon

K3v wrote: »
    I rang Imagine yesterday to find out when they will be installing in my area. They had no set date for the Athy area, but said the mast would be placed on the Minch Norton building. I don't know if you will be within range or have line of sight of that mast when it comes operational. Might be worth a try.

Yes thanks, I did enquire about that, I am 2 kms out of range for that , so they told me yesterday
    My present bb provider is here at the moment to improve my signal, will post later on that result as the evening time is the best time to test

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭NakQuada

K3v wrote: »

I am out the Castledermot road. Imagine rang me yesterday to take the booking and fee (€100). Confirmed that the mast is on top of Tegral tower and would be going live either wk2 or wk3 of October.

He said that I am within the radius to get basically maximum speeds so that's great. However as I live in a cottage on a highish hill there may be a problem with line of sight. I said this to them and they said that the tech is a lot more forgiving than older fixed wireless tech and the only way to find out for sure was to let the engies come and test.

NakQuada wrote: »
    I am out the Castledermot road. Imagine rang me yesterday to take the booking and fee (€100). Confirmed that the mast is on top of Tegral tower and would be going live either wk2 or wk3 of October.

He said that I am within the radius to get basically maximum speeds so that's great. However as I live in a cottage on a highish hill there may be a problem with line of sight. I said this to them and they said that the tech is a lot more forgiving than older fixed wireless tech and the only way to find out for sure was to let the engies come and test.

Tegral tower where?

Tegral tower where?

Athy presumably. Very unlikely to reach Calverstown I would think.

Tegral tower where?

Tegral Tower, right smack in the middle of Athy town.

NakQuada wrote: »
    Tegral Tower, right smack in the middle of Athy town.

Ok I thought someone said it was on the Minch Norton mill, anyway wherever it is ,it's 2 km out of range to my house, they would work at 100 meters over but not 2 km

Ok I thought someone said it was on the Minch Norton mill, anyway wherever it is ,it's 2 km out of range to my house, they would work at 100 meters over but not 2 km

Tegral Tower and Minch Norton are quite literally facing each other with a road in between! You could throw a stone from one to the other!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭jasgrif11

Anyone hear any update on the "Huwei" bug?

I was told today that they are hoping to have it resolved by Wednesday next week and if not they would replace my radio

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Those of you who have used them, do Imagine require proof that you have one of those 50 euro vouchers?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I'm 2 weeks in and finding it brilliant. I'm also on the Ben Dadh tower in Clare. Speeds are great, consistently well above 50Mbps. I can't fault it. And for some odd reason the Wifi to my bedroom is worki g perfectly now. I've no idea how thst happened. I've a smart TV and a sat box wired directly to the box and they work great.

Advertisement