Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

I've noticed that when Imagine is working well, the traffic is much more bursty, even with video streaming. It seems to buffer at full speed for a few seconds, then nothing for a while, whereas when the bug was in effect (or any slow connection), it spent a lot more time flat-out as it tried to keep the buffers full.

And yes, I did sit watching the network traffic (iftop)...

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Here are the results
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

the timestamps on speedtest.net seems to be an hour behind (UTC/GMT not Irish Summer time)

slowest was 55.15mbit 22:36 but I immediately retested twice after that and both were 70+

Was playing multiplayer on xbox one (battlefront) no problems either, beside me being crap :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mark tuam

Got imagine lte yesterday can see mast for front window of my house speed drops to 6 mg from 30 does anyone know is there a cooling off period

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Mark tuam wrote: »
    Got imagine lte yesterday can see mast for front window of my house speed drops to 6 mg from 30 does anyone know is there a cooling off period

14 days from delivery of service (no matter what their Ts&Cs state).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

df_h wrote: »
    Here are the results
    http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

the timestamps on speedtest.net seems to be an hour behind (UTC/GMT not Irish Summer time)

slowest was 55.15mbit 22:36 but I immediately retested twice after that and both were 70+

Was playing multiplayer on xbox one (battlefront) no problems either, beside me being crap :D
    Thanks for doing those tests mate. Baffled how two customers from the same mast can have such varied results at the same times of day.
    I had single pc with all background tasks turned off and noone else connected but still at same time daily, speeds drop to 6 times less than their stated minimum speeds. Sounds very like specific traffic shaping by imagine. Am recording daily my results and with results posted on this thread should be enough to prove to imagine and comreg of irregular management of customer speeds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,488 ✭✭✭bennyineire

irishchris wrote: »
    Thanks for doing those tests mate. Baffled how two customers from the same mast can have such varied results at the same times of day.
    I had single pc with all background tasks turned off and noone else connected but still at same time daily, speeds drop to 6 times less than their stated minimum speeds. Sounds very like specific traffic shaping by imagine. Am recording daily my results and with results posted on this thread should be enough to prove to imagine and comreg of irregular management of customer speeds

If your getting anything over 2mb comreg won't give a hoot an annie

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

So today i finally got installed. I am in Longford running off the Drumlish mast. I have to say the installers that came to the house were brilliant. Took them awhile to find a suitable location but they found one in the end.

I don't have a direct line of sight to the mast and also have a tree directly where the receiver is pointing. Speeds so far are quite good averaging 50mb down and 6mb up. It will be interesting to see what the speeds are once the mast starts to fill up and at peak times.

Has anyone managed to figure out if you can log into the router yet?

If your getting anything over 2mb comreg won't give a hoot an annie

Well if it is being false advertised as minimum speed of 30mb then I think they might. Anyway no harm trying and worst case highlighting the fact to comreg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 680 ✭✭✭Happy_Harry

Anyone heard anything about the Jamestown bog in Meath mast going live ? Signed up back in July for a September go live...

Typical btw that when I signed up there were only positive stories about them in this thread..and look at it now...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Scheduled for an install tomorrow - will be challenging as no line of sight.

Any tips on what I should ask/expect the installers to be doing? Seems the crews vary a bit in persistence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

I got the upgrade message too and my speeds are in and around 80Mbps since. They were around 60. I'm hoping it doesn't get problematic like seems to be the experience of a lot here.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Mark tuam

Was it a email or text Mge u got bout upgrade I was only getting 2 mg last time I done speed check 10 mins ago

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

It was a text message.

Hi, just to let you know that a remote software update has been completed on your indoor LTE Home Hub. This update has provided a fix to a known speed related bug which may have affected some customers intermittently. No intervention on your part is required to take advantage of this update. Thanks Imagine LTE

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Ballybraher

Hi Morgana , how is your internet coverage now , any information I would be greatful for as I am considering joining them as they are coming to east cork another out in the sticks area .
    Thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Still fine, although there was an overall drop of speeds since 23.8. of about 10 to 15 %. Speed Tests
    I contacted them about it and it is being escalated and investigated.
    Still nothing to worry about (except for the geek in me who wants the 70+ numbers back :P) as it doesn't affect daily use at all. I am curious though, as it almost looks like some kind of traffic shaping being implemented.
    Other than that, no complaints :). Service is reliable, peak time drop is insignificant from a use point of view. Simultaneous Netflix viewing / gaming / Youtubing no issues.

No joy for me - hills in the way.
    Fair play to the installers - tried everything (including 20 ft pole !!!)

• long_b wrote: »

Amazing the ****e they tell you over the phone
    I was explicitly told line of sight did not matter
    I have collecting every bit of information from this thread and will have a notepad ready and waiting for the install guys when they arrive.

long_b wrote: »

Bummer! :(

At least you're one of the first 100,000 on a blue line. Fingers crossed that comes to fruition!

M!Ck^ wrote: »
    I have collecting every bit of information from this thread and will have a notepad ready and waiting for the install guys when they arrive.

In fairness though, there are degrees of line of sight obstruction. There are several reports in this thread of antennas pointing towards trees and still getting a signal, but there ain't no microwave signal ever gonna go through a hill.

Had call from tech support yesterday and supposedly been investigated ad to why peak hours my speed is dropping from 70+ to 5 mb/s.

On the plus side it seems to me that they have implemented the data boost. I would generally only use 5-10gb max a day but due to work stuff I had to download 18gb yesterday without the nasty 15gb warning email and today a 32gb game download for one of the kids birthdays. Again no warning or speed throttling. So looks like the extra 50gb weekly data boost has been implemented. Impressed with it if it's the case as would only be maybe twice every six months the that I would need it.
    As regards gaming though which was perfect initially after joining there now seems a definite problem. Although ping times seem ok there is continuous lag nearly all the time with nothing else using the connection at the time

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

Of course it matters. Google Fresnel zone for more information about line of sight in relation to signal propagation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭Decent Skin

irishchris wrote: »
    Well if it is being false advertised as minimum speed of 30mb then I think they might. Anyway no harm trying and worst case highlighting the fact to comreg

That's one caveat that I was uncomfortable with - the install won't happen unless they get a minimum 30, but they didn't hang themselves with a T&C re maintaining that.

I'd be okay with it if it dropped a bit due to atmospherics and the odd occasion, but the point is that it's not advertised as 30 minimum.

That said, the blokes that tried installing here were quick to call it as a no-go because they said it wouldn't be anywhere near consistent.

That's one caveat that I was uncomfortable with - the install won't happen unless they get a minimum 30, but they didn't hang themselves with a T&C re maintaining that.

I'd be okay with it if it dropped a bit due to atmospherics and the odd occasion, but the point is that it's not advertised as 30 minimum.

That said, the blokes that tried installing here were quick to call it as a no-go because they said it wouldn't be anywhere near consistent.

They have a few metrics they have to hit before they'll install.
    They appear to be
    30 Mb minimum (tested 35 for me)
    SNR ratio of -104 (don't quote me on that - this is what I failed on)
    Some other indicators that I didn't understand but seemed to depend on signal strength and varied as the guy moved the antennae about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,482 ✭✭✭RE*AC*TOR

Signed up (paid) on August 4th. Told 3 weeks at that time to expect the install. Silence since.

Mast location supposedly near Rathmore / Jamestown Bog in Meath, north east of Athboy.

I remain cautiously optimistic. I have been running a load-balanced multi-wan setup for a while, and will continue to do so for the medium term. Previously had Eircom (3mb), Three (AYCE b593s + yagi in attic) and Meteor (50gb student b593s + plastic diamond aerial).

Dumped Eircom a few months ago. Useless. Would go down everytime the wind blowed.
    Generally get min 10meg on Three, but as high as 50meg.
    Meteor solid 40meg, but obviously capped.

Just about being smart as to what things you do on which WANs and when.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Gooser14

RE*AC*TOR wrote:
    I remain cautiously optimistic. I have been running a load-balanced multi-wan setup for a while, and will continue to do so for the medium term. Previously had Eircom (3mb), Three (AYCE b593s + yagi in attic) and Meteor (50gb student b593s + plastic diamond aerial).

Any chance of advising the full details of the Yagi antenna & where you purchased it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,369 ✭✭✭Rossi IRL

I was told the same yesterday.

"Line of sight dosnt matter on our network as we use special technology"

Anyone in Laois sign up yet?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

SNR ratio of -104 (don't quote me on that - this is what I failed on)

That looks more like a noise floor figure in dBm. A decent SNR for a wireless connection would be more on the order of +30 than -104.

oscarBravo wrote: »
    That looks more like a noise floor figure in dBm. A decent SNR for a wireless connection would be more on the order of +30 than -104.

You're almost definitely correct - it's not something in familiar with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

(including 20 ft pole !!!)

Even if you managed to get the 30mb minimum while it was on that pole, in the long run would that not cause more problems? Rain/wind etc?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,204 ✭✭✭Aspiring

Is is possible to get broadband only with Imagine or do you have to get the phone package.

Advertisement