Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

I'm on the Old Kilcullen mast in Kildare and same problem. Last few days, down to low single figures during the evening. Apparently, I am being referred to Second Line Support. However, it is quite obvious when speaking to Tech Support that they either have a very basic knowledge or are under instruction to prevaricate. Their latest theory is that because I am using an extension lead there is not enough power to power the router and radio unit on the roof. I challenge anyone to sustain that argument and am tempted to invite one of them to support their convictions and stick their finger into one of the sockets.......

Very disappointing.Have service about 3 weeks. It started very promisingly but as I feared LTE does not seem to be able to sustain the high numbers of users per mast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Haha, thats a farcical excuse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

debarra156 wrote: »
    I'm on the Old Kilcullen mast in Kildare and same problem. Last few days, down to low single figures during the evening. Apparently, I am being referred to Second Line Support. However, it is quite obvious when speaking to Tech Support that they either have a very basic knowledge or are under instruction to prevaricate. Their latest theory is that because I am using an extension lead there is not enough power to power the router and radio unit on the roof. I challenge anyone to sustain that argument and am tempted to invite one of them to support their convictions and stick their finger into one of the sockets.......

Very disappointing.Have service about 3 weeks. It started very promisingly but as I feared LTE does not seem to be able to sustain the high numbers of users per mast.

Interestingly, I am also on the Old Kilcullen mast and I am not seeing any (significant) issues. I run automated speed tests every four hours, and it seems reasonably stable. Even more so since I gave the hedge across the road a good haircut...

Here's a sample of my recent speeds:
    Timestamp|Down|Up|Loss|Ping|Jitter
    ==========|======|======|======|======|======
    03/10/16 01:01|74.99|7.30|0.0%|30.0|8.3
    03/10/16 05:01|74.94|6.92|0.0%|28.9|10.5
    03/10/16 09:01|82.40|7.27|0.0%|27.0|6.1
    03/10/16 13:01|81.65|7.28|0.0%|28.0|6.3
    03/10/16 17:01|72.22|6.28|0.0%|28.4|6.5
    03/10/16 21:01|57.36|5.98|10.0%|29.4|8.2
    04/10/16 01:01|70.32|5.94|0.0%|26.5|6.1
    04/10/16 05:01|76.60|6.92|0.0%|26.5|6.5
    04/10/16 09:01|74.08|6.92|0.0%|25.6|7.6
    04/10/16 13:01|50.49|6.95|0.0%|25.8|7.8
    04/10/16 17:01|72.40|6.92|0.0%|30.8|12.7
    04/10/16 21:01|58.95|6.37|3.3%|34.6|9.7

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

Dero wrote: »
    Interestingly, I am also on the Old Kilcullen mast and I am not seeing any (significant) issues. I run automated speed tests every four hours, and it seems reasonably stable. Even more so since I gave the hedge across the road a good haircut...

Here's a sample of my recent speeds:
    Timestamp|Down|Up|Loss|Ping|Jitter
    ==========|======|======|======|======|======
    03/10/16 01:01|74.99|7.30|0.0%|30.0|8.3
    03/10/16 05:01|74.94|6.92|0.0%|28.9|10.5
    03/10/16 09:01|82.40|7.27|0.0%|27.0|6.1
    03/10/16 13:01|81.65|7.28|0.0%|28.0|6.3
    03/10/16 17:01|72.22|6.28|0.0%|28.4|6.5
    03/10/16 21:01|57.36|5.98|10.0%|29.4|8.2
    04/10/16 01:01|70.32|5.94|0.0%|26.5|6.1
    04/10/16 05:01|76.60|6.92|0.0%|26.5|6.5
    04/10/16 09:01|74.08|6.92|0.0%|25.6|7.6
    04/10/16 13:01|50.49|6.95|0.0%|25.8|7.8
    04/10/16 17:01|72.40|6.92|0.0%|30.8|12.7
    04/10/16 21:01|58.95|6.37|3.3%|34.6|9.7

In fairness Dero when you say "on the mast" you're practically underneath it (given a full supposed range of 15 km)

long_b wrote: »
    In fairness Dero when you say "on the mast" you're practically underneath it (given a full supposed range of 15 km)

Well this is true (~5km), but my point really is that congestion/contention would surely manifest for me also? My understanding is that it's the back-haul from that mast that is the limiting factor, rather than the mast<->CPE link.

Open to correction on that though...

Also, while those speeds correlate with my actual experience, they are measured with iperf as opposed to HTTP.

• Advertisement

Those are impressive figures and while my best speedtest never exceeded 50 down and roughly 3 up, I am now down to a fraction of my initial speeds. Tech Support is of the "restart your router" school. Incidentally, they needed me to run whatsmyip to tell them my address which does not reflect well on their monitoring infrastructure. The phone line has not worked from day one, despite 3 emails and numerous calls. My view is that the broadband performance will not support voice. While this is not a major concern, the fact that they are unable or unwilling to sort it worried me at the outset. Not a happy camper....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Dero wrote: »
    Well this is true (~5km), but my point really is that congestion/contention would surely manifest for me also? My understanding is that it's the back-haul from that mast that is the limiting factor, rather than the mast<->CPE link.

Open to correction on that though...

Also, while those speeds correlate with my actual experience, they are measured with iperf as opposed to HTTP.

Testing with iPerf to a random node on the net is a great way to do it as it stops them fudging the numbers to make things seem better than they are.

The congestion could be A. "time cycles" on the allocated band between modems and mast or B. on the backhaul to the core network. Depending on the high site the latter or the former would be more likely but would impact everyone.

The only thing that would impact distant subscribers would be increased noise levels where an ok connection moves down towards a crap connection while a good one is still in the green.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 220 ✭✭giggsirish

Also on the Old Kilcullen Mast and was also spun the yarn that router not receiving enough power from socket and was causing performance issues. Im of the opinion the issue is the Huawei hardware I have.

A constant ping to the router sees it go from less than 1ms and spike upto 2000+ MS. Also once a day it will stop replying to ping via both wireless and wired connection and needs to be rebooted. A constant ping to several other devices on network never goes above 1ms and has zero dropped packets upto over 90000 pings

Awaiting an install date for another vendor LTE system to be installed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

long_b wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm when Athy mast went live?

Neighbours have been connected recently, reckon it's to the new Athy mast judging by the direction of the antenna

Well - they've just refused point blank to having me checked again.

Explained that there may be a new mast live, they weren't having any of it.

So much for the installers saying to check back when new masts go live.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,508 ✭✭✭hollypink

I'm also on the Old Kilcullen mast - it was only installed last week but I've been doing occasional speedtests and there appears to be a big drop in speeds in the evenings - the worst yet being last night when it was down to 5Mb/s at about 10pm and back up to over 40 this morning. I haven't contacted Imagine yet because those were speedtests done on wifi so I want to test using a wired connection to my laptop to make sure. Netflix stopped working once last night with a connectivity error but was ok when I restarted the app so it might have been the tv rather than the broadband connection.

• Advertisement

As previously mentioned my performance from Old Kilcullen has deteriorated dramatically in recent days. I had no service as I left for work at 7.30. Can't help feeling I've been had on this one...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

I think I read that you don't need Line of sight for this? I have LoS and a distance of 6.6km but have a grove of trees around my house,will that be a problem?

That depends on how thick the grove of trees is and whether your signal will pass directly through them, or just near them (in the Fresnel zone). When you say LoS, do you mean except for the trees? And does the same apply from the roof?

In my case, there was one hedge and some small branches interfering, but not enough to prevent a decent signal. Having said that, I could actually see the mast from the roof.

It's worth getting them out to check in any case.

There's one tree above chimney level and a 10ft pole on the chimney,they could attach it to that?
    Yes I can clearly see the mast on a hill about 6km away except for those trees

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭brcwatters

Coming out to me tomorrow - fingers crossed. But a bit worried now reading about people's speeds dropping. I work from home so main use would be in the daytime but the rest of the clan won't be impressed if we can't get netflix etc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Coming out to myself in the morning for the Mount Oriel mast between 9am and 1pm. I don't think I'm gonna be covered as my neighbours were told they were out of coverage... But sure I'll find out!

• Registered Users Posts: 21 crazy2

Where about are you Wing126? Got an email from them the other day saying they'll be in contact in a few days to do the install.

crazy2 wrote: »
    Where about are you Wing126? Got an email from them the other day saying they'll be in contact in a few days to do the install.

Southside of Drogheda going towards Julianstown!

Edit: Hmm. Reread my text from Imagine. On the phone the scheduler said tomorrow morning but the text says Friday. Hmmm....

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

NakQuada wrote: »
    What's this I hear about the Athy mast being live?

They rang me about a month ago and signed me up. Said I'd be connected by the end of October. Heard nothing since. Not sure where the master is in athy but hopefully I can get it

Wing126 wrote: »
    Southside of Drogheda going towards Julianstown!

Edit: Hmm. Reread my text from Imagine. On the phone the scheduler said tomorrow morning but the text says Friday. Hmmm....
    The same happened to me. Advised on the phone for a particular day and follow up text advised the day after. For me, the phone advice was correct.

• Advertisement

The same happened to me. Advised on the phone for a particular day and follow up text advised the day after. For me, the phone advice was correct.

Same, they're testing the connection at my house right now. Waiting on word back from my father if it's been successful.

Edit: Father just texted me, they were pulling a consistent 60mb so they're going ahead.

I'm roughly 20km from the mast aswell. Mount Oriel.

Brilliant Wing!

Can more people keep us posted on how they're getting on after install too please

My concern is the trees around my house,I'm only 6kms from the mast so I might fall foul of that and not get enough signal sadly.

How long typically btw before you get a call for the install appointment?
    Do you get a static ip?

You have to request a static IP, but they had no problem giving me one. I requested it in the initial sales call and reiterated it when they installed.

They told me 10-14 days after the mast goes live, I'm at about 14-15 working days now and was expecting them today. (In saying that I was also told to expect a call between 8:30 and 9:30 this morning with a time, and haven't heard anything yet so not sure)
    Like you I'm not that far from the mast but there are a lot of big trees around so fingers crossed.
    Also wondering how biddable the installers are as to where they bring the wire etc? Is it just a matter of drilling a hole in the first wall they can and plugging it in - would prefer the router not be in the kids' bedroom - or will they bring it along the fascia and down and into the room I want it in?

ETA - thanks for the reminder about the static IP, could do with one of those :)

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Brilliant Wing!

Can more people keep us posted on how they're getting on after install too please

My concern is the trees around my house,I'm only 6kms from the mast so I might fall foul of that and not get enough signal sadly.

How long typically btw before you get a call for the install appointment?
    Do you get a static ip?

I will give a full test when I get home from work!

I had to keep ringing them to get my install sorted as I'm away on holiday from Saturday so I wanted them in before I left, but they lidt the waiting time as 10-14 working days once the mast goes live.

You need to contact the tech support afterwards to get a static ip set up!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

Wondering if you're still in contract with Eir will I have to pay a cancellation so they can port the landline over to imagine with the broadband? Also do you still have to pay line rental to Eir along with the bill to imagine after porting?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Brannaman

Is anyone having phone problems with Imagine? Mine went dead about Sept 26th. They were "trouble-shooting" until Tues. of this week when they decided a call out was in order. I am now on the third day of a five to seven day callout policy with heaps of apologies but no notion of when I'll get fixed. Bad as Eircom was I was never holding on this long.

Have to say the Bband is mighty. Has hardly ever dropped below 60Mb and generally hovering in the 70s.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭opengoal

OK got installed this morning.. Getting 50mb down on wireless when beside the router, but this drops significantly as I move throughout the house.. I'm guessing it's a weak signal from the router?? Is there any solution for this, can I use TP LINKS or other WiFi boosters with the router??

I would use a new wifirouter with a wired connection to imagines' if it's that weak

Regarding being in contract with Eir,you're stuck paying them until the end of your contract period I'm afraid
    You could pay the balance (e.g. 6 months left by €60 is €360) and you have your Eir account closed and port

• Advertisement

Well I've just had the lads here and no go :( At first they thought it was just the trees, which are always our problem but they went outside the property too where there is pretty much clear sky and couldn't get the signal there either. Is either trees further away or we're in a dip or something. They were very good though, tried loads of different locations for me - we have wires ducted under the tarmac that still have fishing lines on so there were other options as well as just the house/roof, but nope. Will continue with my dongle out the window - no netflix or xbox here

Advertisement