Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

Brannaman wrote: »
    Is anyone having phone problems with Imagine? Mine went dead about Sept 26th. They were "trouble-shooting" until Tues. of this week when they decided a call out was in order. I am now on the third day of a five to seven day callout policy with heaps of apologies but no notion of when I'll get fixed. Bad as Eircom was I was never holding on this long.

Have to say the Bband is mighty. Has hardly ever dropped below 60Mb and generally hovering in the 70s.
    I havn't had phone from day one and they seem incapable of sorting the problem. In my case however, I think the varying quality of my signal is the root cause of my problem. Your signal looks good. Basic Tech Support are incapable of dealing with anything other than very routine matters. Good luck with your problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

brcwatters wrote: »
    Well I've just had the lads here and no go :( At first they thought it was just the trees, which are always our problem but they went outside the property too where there is pretty much clear sky and couldn't get the signal there either. Is either trees further away or we're in a dip or something. They were very good though, tried loads of different locations for me - we have wires ducted under the tarmac that still have fishing lines on so there were other options as well as just the house/roof, but nope. Will continue with my dongle out the window - no netflix or xbox here
    How far from the mast,no line of sight away from the trees?
    Not looking good for me so :/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,732 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

Phone line here has always bern touch and go. Missed a call from imagine today. Assume they are rolling out LTE in my area niw. Was supposed to be in August

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭IR1SH RANG3R

What's the price per month for LTE Broadband only no phone?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

59.99. I think people are getting confused about the phone service. The phone runs over the broadband connection so it makes no difference whether you use it or not, the price is the same.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

They don't offer the service without telephone usage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,740 ✭✭✭niallb

Failed installation for me here in Meath too just now :-(
    Good guys, and well kitted out to get some real height on testing.
    Should have been a clear sight, but not enough signal to give me service.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,940 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

niallb wrote: »
    Failed installation for me here in Meath too just now :-(
    Good guys, and well kitted out to get some real height on testing.
    Should have been a clear sight, but not enough signal to give me service.

thats a shame, but your on an Eir blue line and Dunsany should get looked after Spring 2017?

Those of you who do, is there an easy way to monitor the usage? I know imagine don't have anything yet to monitor but has anyone here come up with an easy solution?

EDIT:

Just in the door from work testing speeds.

25.75 mbps down - 1.9 up - on my tablet.

17.71 mbps down - 2.1 up - on my phone.

18.09 mbps down - 1.5 up on the laptop.

Consistent 60 down when they were installing it this morning.

Gotta love contention :P

Edit: 6mb now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Wing126 wrote: »
    Those of you who do, is there an easy way to monitor the usage? I know imagine don't have anything yet to monitor but has anyone here come up with an easy solution?

EDIT:

Just in the door from work testing speeds.

25.75 mbps down - 1.9 up - on my tablet.

17.71 mbps down - 2.1 up - on my phone.

18.09 mbps down - 1.5 up on the laptop.

Consistent 60 down when they were installing it this morning.

Gotta love contention :P

Ring tomorrow and be prepared for "service does not suffer from contention" nonsense

• Advertisement

Yeah, I'm gonna start logging speed tests on Ookla.

I don't know which set of equipment I have in. The router is a small white one with only 2 Ethernet ports on it. I'll have to see how I get on with gaming etc. But yeah, peak time contention is a serious thing. Dunno what way to go about it! I just hope it's not as bad as my eircom as it is. Speeds are already better, but we'll see how it goes. I was constantly losing DSL connection with Eir so it'll be a welcome change if I'm not losing service as often!!

59.99. I think people are getting confused about the phone service. The phone runs over the broadband connection so it makes no difference whether you use it or not, the price is the same.

I see so is it possible to keep an eir phone until the contract runs out and also have imagine broadband? Thanks

I see so is it possible to keep an eir phone until the contract runs out and also have imagine broadband? Thanks

Yes it is possible. The Imagine service has nothing to do with your traditional landline.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Eir have nothing whatsoever to do with lte broadband unless you want to port your number to imagine
    The imagine phone service is completely independent of Eir

What's the download limits again ?

We're moving soon and it's a bit in the sticks, the closest village has a single Fibre cabinet about 500-700 meters outside of the fecking village and it will be probably no more than 5 Mbs by the time it reaches us.

Eir are nuts, they have their fibre cabinets so scattered they're basically useless.

What's the download limits again ?

20GB per day reset at midnight I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 508 ✭✭✭dobbs2210

Do you have photos of the modem that they install? Can you connect a wireless router to the modem device.

20GB per day reset at midnight I believe.

That's a bit crap in this day and age, I'd rather a monthly limit because I can go on a binge, not that I'm greedy, far from it but sometimes I want/need a lot more than that some days. Hmmmm.

Is there a monthly limit also ?

dobbs2210 wrote: »
    Do you have photos of the modem that they install? Can you connect a wireless router to the modem device.
    http://imgur.com/xTN69A5

This is the one that I got installed. They install different ones for some people it seems.

• Advertisement

That's a bit crap in this day and age, I'd rather a monthly limit because I can go on a binge, not that I'm greedy, far from it but sometimes I want/need a lot more than that some days. Hmmmm.

Is there a monthly limit also ?

Not explicitly defined but 30 X 20 is 600GB. I don't actually have the service myself, one of the posters who have it could advise you better on it's limits. I believe someone posted recently about where Imagine may allow some over 20GB downloads on occasion.

Thanks for the reply.

I just got a text back to say I'm outside the coverage area. Oh well. I'll have to make do with Eir's crap fibre.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Wing, change that url from http://i.imgur.com/xTN69A5.jpg to http://i.imgur.com/xTN69A5l.jpg please, a more normal resolution please.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 192 ✭✭Galway_guy_33

Anyone get installed in athlone yet???

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Eir have nothing whatsoever to do with lte broadband unless you want to port your number to imagine
    The imagine phone service is completely independent of Eir

Yeah I get that but stuck in contract with Eir for another 8-9 months so was thinking I might get the broadband in for now and when the contract with Eir runs out just port the number over then!

• Registered Users Posts: 433 ✭✭koppy

Not very technical minded so this is probably a stupid question to most but whats the advantage of a static ip address

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,815 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

koppy wrote: »
    Not very technical minded so this is probably a stupid question to most but whats the advantage of a static ip address

If you don't know, you don't need one. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

koppy wrote: »

Accessing a home server, web services or cctv works easier if your public ip isn't constantly changing every few days (dynamic). There are plenty of workarounds though.

Workarounds Such as DuckDns or Noip.

You install the software on the machine you want remote access too and it sends the IP to their servers every 5 mins or so and any time it changes it will update to the service such as noip or duckdns etc.

You pick a name for your service, for instance blablabla.duckdns.org etc. So you don't have to type an IP every time you want to access your device.

You then need to open the relevant ports on your router and pick a strong username and password and change the password frequently.

Most likely if you need to remote access your machine you can use a service like teamviewer, it makes it a lot easier.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,028 ✭✭✭d31b0y

I spoke to the reps about the 20GB download limit (some games are upward of 60GB). THey told me that they don't charge people out of bundle unless you are really abusing the limit. They do throttle your connection when you go over 20GB, not sure by how much but I could live with a little throttling.

Advertisement