Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

morgana wrote: »
    The 20 gig allowance is for all traffic, i.e. upload and download
    Thanks

How stable is your connection,how often does it drop?
    What percentage of time is your download speed above 10mb
    What's your average upload speed in the daytime and evening?

How far are you from your mast,do you have an unobstructed line of sight?
    Any tree's or distant sheds in the way?

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Zico-PES

long_b wrote: »
    Which mast please?

Cairn hill Longford

Zico-PES wrote: »
    Cairn hill Longford

They're guaranteed €100 if you leave,so if 10k leave,that's a million euros
    It's a reasonable incentive to go above 400 per mast assuming churn doesn't go too high

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Thanks

How stable is your connection,how often does it drop?
    What percentage of time is your download speed above 10mb
    What's your average upload speed in the daytime and evening?

How far are you from your mast,do you have an unobstructed line of sight?
    Any tree's or distant sheds in the way?

The connection is very stable, it drops on rare occasions (sometimes not at all in weeks, then two times in a few days) when I do a speed test (snigger) or initiated a download spike but comes back a few minutes later (i usually reboot the router in that case, I think it must trigger some response at their site).

You can see my speed test history here.
    As you can see the single digit figures between 8pm (I not at the pc before 8pm) and midnight only started about a week ago.

I'm about 12.5 km from the mast and there are some close by trees, by the outdoor unit is high enough to get a pretty decent line of sight afaik.

• Registered Users Posts: 42 AH2016

Zico-PES wrote: »
    Cairn hill Longford

Having same issue from same mast. Not quite as bad as yours in the evening but way down in eve

• Advertisement

8mb down is not fibre speed broadband by any stretch
    It's still twice what I'm getting via dsl which works everything as it is

When I first got broadband here around 2001 it was max 512 down so worked out at a third of a mb in speed tests

These days that kind of speed wouldn't load a page in under 2mins whereas back then it flew along

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭wuzziwig

Well the honeymoon is well and truly over. Speeds have dropped right back but not all the time. Not getting over 50Mbps anymore but some days it's a low as 8Mbps. I could live with that because it's still fairly decent compared to what I have. My problem is the bloody modem. It keeps dropping the connection. We were rebooting it occasionally, now we are having to do it 4 or 5 times a day. We had no connection for around 4 hours on Saturday after rebooting and of course no tech support on over the weekend to talk to. Sunday it was gone for over and hour and my son said he rebooted the modem a few times throughout the day. I rang tech support when I got home from work yesterday as there was no connection again and was on hold for 40 minutes before I gave up. I rang back twice more and on hold 30 minutes both times before hanging up. We had no service from when we got home after 5pm until it miraculously came back itself around 10pm.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 436 ✭✭searay

just got this txt now... in relation to the athlone site

Hi, great news your LTE High Site is now live. We will be contacting you within the next 10 working days to arrange the installation of your LTE High Speed Broadband Service. Thanks - Imagine LTE.

I assume it's Athlone you are referring to as I got the same text and a similar email this morning. Any chance you know where the Athlone mast is?

• Registered Users Posts: 20 xantras.d

Hi all,

I have been reading the thread quite a lot and it shows dropped speed since mid-August / September.

Apologies for any questions that have been asked before but since all the changes with speed lately looking for updated info.

I am considering trying them as my current VF ADSL sucks as it ranges from anything from .5 MB to 5.1 mb and unstable.
    - VF are adding a price increase again since I am now out of contract.

I have a few questions I hope that some might help on:

I understand that the modem login details are locked out so unable to add or update anything, or does anyone have experience with being able to add Port/DMZ/DNS on the modem? (I am aware that you can email imagine and request the port forwarding, but this seems redundant to me)

Is it possible to make a modem backup with all the settings, like standard modems - in case stuff breaks, you can restore the default settings?

The Abbeyknockmoy mast in Galway should be the closest to me, is there any posters using that tower which has feedback on speed & stability?

Can you change the WIFI settings on the modem at all (Such as access point name or security)?

Will standard cordless phones plug into the modem and work?

Thanks

Xantras

• Registered Users Posts: 21 crazy2

Got set up this morning on mount oriel mast receiving speeds of 56mbps when they were installing. In work now but will check again later on and see how it's going. Based in Knockbridge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 731 ✭✭✭Dero

xantras.d wrote: »

I understand that the modem login details are locked out so unable to add or update anything, or does anyone have experience with being able to add Port/DMZ/DNS on the modem? (I am aware that you can email imagine and request the port forwarding, but this seems redundant to me)

Is it possible to make a modem backup with all the settings, like standard modems - in case stuff breaks, you can restore the default settings?

Can you change the WIFI settings on the modem at all (Such as access point name or security)?

I've only included the questions I can answer directly.

You can't change anything on the indoor device, except on mine (Huawei), there is a physical button to disable the WiFi.

I attached my own router to theirs, and requested they put it in the DMZ, so although it's double NATing, at least most ports are forwarded (80, 8080, and possibly 443 are used by the box itself). You would also need to request a static address for this to be of any use.

There's no way to access their device, so backing it up is moot.

The only meaningful change you can make to the WiFi is to turn it off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,029 ✭✭✭shedweller

Had the installers out this morning and there was almost no signal. 9k from mt oriel.
    It was the row of trees across the road from me that blocked the signal even though yer man on the roof raised his antenna to the max.
    Going on what people are saying here i think i may have dodged a bullet.

shedweller wrote: »
    Had the installers out this morning and there was almost no signal. 9k from mt oriel.
    It was the row of trees across the road from me that blocked the signal even though yer man on the roof raised his antenna to the max.
    Going on what people are saying here i think i may have dodged a bullet.

How deep is that row of trees and how far are you from the mast?
    Is there a line of sight behind the trees?

Also presumably you were on the map showing coverage hence why they were out?

• Registered Users Posts: 25 debarra156

Dero wrote: »

You can't change anything on the indoor device, except on mine (Huawei), there is a physical button to disable the WiFi.

I attached my own router to theirs, and requested they put it in the DMZ, so although it's double NATing, at least most ports are forwarded (80, 8080, and possibly 443 are used by the box itself). You would also need to request a static address for this to be of any use.

I'm not sure about your point about placing your router in a DMZ. Imagine may have configured the second port on the Huawei as a DMZ but in my case my router connected directly without a specific request by me and it is getting its IP credentials from the Imagine router. Either way there is double NAT.

In my view it would make better sense to bridge my router which avoids the double NAT and potentially gives me some control over port forwarded traffic. Fixed IP needed also. Imagine however won't facilitate this. Or to put it another way, their Frontline Tech Support won't facilitate this.

Dero wrote: »

My cousins send me regular emails from America with video cassette recordings of the latest U.S tv shows
    I'd get a Bit of a TORRENT of abuse if those didn't work if you get me? Do they?

How deep is that row of trees and how far are you from the mast?
    Is there a line of sight behind the trees?

Also presumably you were on the map showing coverage hence why they were out?
    It is a single row along the road, maybe 6m thick and 10-12m high. 9k from mast.
    And yer man showed me the coverage map and i am on th3 edge of it. There is a lot of slane outside the coverage due to the small valley and trees etc.

shedweller wrote: »
    It is a single row along the road, maybe 6m thick and 10-12m high. 9k from mast.
    And yer man showed me the coverage map and i am on th3 edge of it. There is a lot of slane outside the coverage due to the small valley and trees etc.

Can you see Mt oriel from behind those trees?
    Reason I ask is I have a grove of trees,not across the road but surrounding my house,I'm about 6.5kms from the site and can see it clearly if I go behind the trees,it's on a hill about 900ft above sea level

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Hi all. I have a gemtek router (small black with two antenna and no markings). I assumed I was the only one with a hang up issue. Can anyone else confirm if their router looses the internet connection about once a week /fortnight. The only way I reset the connection is to unplug / replug in router power. On one occasion I had to repeat two or three times but in general once is enough to do this. It could be an issue with imagine doing updates or something but Id like to get to the bottom of it. Anyone else..?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,222 ✭✭✭irishchris

Hi all,

I have been reading the thread quite a lot and it shows dropped speed since mid-August / September.

Apologies for any questions that have been asked before but since all the changes with speed lately looking for updated info.

I am considering trying them as my current VF ADSL sucks as it ranges from anything from .5 MB to 5.1 mb and unstable.

The Abbeyknockmoy mast in Galway should be the closest to me, is there any posters using that tower which has feedback on speed & stability?

Thanks

Xantras

I have been on that mast since it went live.week by week speeds have decreased and peak speeds are about 3 - 6mb/s now every evening

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

irishchris wrote: »
    Hi all,

Thanks

Xantras

I have been on that mast since it went live.week by week speeds have decreased and peak speeds are about 3 - 6mb/s now every evening

Abbeyknockmoy one? I wasn't around for while on this site being busy, but anyways its still holding up fine here, last 2 tests just there were above 80mbit
    my speed tests going back to July

@Morgana's tests on the previous page are cause for concern tho!

I haven't got one of the famed warning SMSes either, yet :D tho haven't exactly been making much use of internet either.

• Advertisement

df_h wrote: »
    Abbeyknockmoy one? I wasn't around for while on this site being busy, but anyways its still holding up fine here, last 2 tests just there were above 80mbit
    my speed tests going back to July

@Morgana's tests on the previous page are cause for concern tho!

I haven't got one of the famed warning SMSes either, yet :D tho haven't exactly been making much use of internet either.

Really is a miracle then as even now at 6pm speeds are down to 20mb/s and will be down to 3-5 by later in evening

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Waffleon wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a gemtek router (small black with two antenna and no markings). I assumed I was the only one with a hang up issue. Can anyone else confirm if their router looses the internet connection about once a week /fortnight. The only way I reset the connection is to unplug / replug in router power. On one occasion I had to repeat two or three times but in general once is enough to do this. It could be an issue with imagine doing updates or something but Id like to get to the bottom of it. Anyone else..?

Yeah, I have one and it does occasionally drop the signal, twice in the last 9 days. Power off/on resets it.

TT

On hold to tech support again. 25 mins in this time. I getting fairly fed up with them now.

wuzziwig wrote: »
    On hold to tech support again. 25 mins in this time. I getting fairly fed up with them now.

Let us know how you get on

irishchris wrote: »
    Let us know how you get on

Finally got through. Connection was back by the time I spoke to them. So I was told to ring back when it was down. I explained the difficulty I had getting through. He apologised. Changed wifi on modem to stay on one channel. And is getting someone to check out why it keeps dropping. Agreed the service is unacceptable as it is and assured me they want to fix it. And that's about it. So basically unless line stays down while I'm on hold I'm not too confident anything will be done. Wired speed is consistently just under 40Mbps since the call. Wireless 25Mbps.

Can you see Mt oriel from behind those trees?
    Reason I ask is I have a grove of trees,not across the road but surrounding my house,I'm about 6.5kms from the site and can see it clearly if I go behind the trees,it's on a hill about 900ft above sea level
    I'll check tomorrow, weather permitting.

Just done another one at what I presume is peak time 38mbit, tho young one is watching youtube downstairs at same time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,061 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

anyone wishing to monitor their connection properly should sign up for a SamKnows box http://www.samknows.ie/sign-up-2/

loyatemu wrote: »
    anyone wishing to monitor their connection properly should sign up for a SamKnows box http://www.samknows.ie/sign-up-2/

You know if I ever wanted to setup a botnet and make use of thousands of residential connections (sell em for proxies? etc), this is how I would got about it :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

On a positive note, tonight my speeds are GOOD. 50+ at 9pm. Speed Tests

Advertisement