Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

Is Imagine LTE classed as a fixed line connection? because that is the requirements of having a Samknowsbox.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

I applied a while back and they never responded. So cba.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

My tests today returned 91 meg at midday, 23 meg at 9pm and down to 7 meg just now..... Grrrr

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Evening all

Only came across this thread yesterday, I signed up for this last Monday, I'm in kilconnell, between ballinasloe and athenry, the lad said on the phone I was "on the edge of coverage" going by my eircode.Anyone know where the mast is around here?

I'm with Sky for TV and Broadband atm, and its pretty terrible, max DL speed is 2.5mb on ooklas speedtest..... That's off peak, peak times the ping gets so bad 480p YouTube is a buffer fest. So ANYTHING is an improvement. I get damn all phone coverage here either, not even for basic SMS..... So I dunno where the new mast is.

I canceled my sky on the back of this coming to my area, but that's no big deal I can reverse that.

There a fiber cabinet in kilconnell, I'm about 4 or 5km from it, so I dunno will it come here anytime soon, at that distance will it even be fiber....

I signed up on the 4th Oct, does my 14 day cooling off period start then? Or from when it's installed.couldn't get s definitive answer online. They said they would be out to me in 10 to 14 working days. Dunno what to do now....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

emm80 wrote: »

I canceled my sky on the back of this coming to my area, but that's no big deal I can reverse that.

Watch out that Sky don't put you back on a brand new 18 month contract.
    I signed up on the 4th Oct, does my 14 day cooling off period start then? Or from when it's installed.couldn't get s definitive answer online. They said they would be out to me in 10 to 14 working days. Dunno what to do now....

The Imagine CS will say the 14 day cooling off starts from the date of ordering. This is Bovine Excrement. The law states that it's from delivery of service, so that means when you are connected and working.

• Advertisement

Ok, so I feel a little better knowing I have that window to back out.Thanks for that .

Never thought of that actually, regarding sky landing me with another 18 month contract, but to be honest, it's not sky's fault I dont think, it's my location and line I'm guessing.

On that note, I'd prob let the contract run out in 30 days and get the wife to sign up in her maiden name or something, is it true all boxes will b sky q boxes in the new year? Off topic sorry.

On that note, I'd prob let the contract run out in 30 days and get the wife to sign up in her maiden name or something, is it true all boxes will b sky q boxes in the new year? Off topic sorry.

If you opt to sign-up under the wife's name, then you will be put on a new 12/18 month contract. Also, I suspect your current sky box will likely be replaced ... any recordings on the old one will no longer be accessible from the end of the current contract.

Not sure if they are SkyQ only from the new year, but they sure won't go proactively replacing all existing Sky Boxes with SkyQ. That would be mad Ted! :D

I realise she'd be under a new contract, but sure there's no options round here, they seem to be the best of a bad bunch, and are restricted by the line, so id more than likely stay with them anyway.

As regards the sky q box, if the offer was a q box for new customers, then she would be eligible, her being a new customer.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

Just to let anyone know that lives in Lissycasey in Co. Clare. There are imagine signs all over the village. I rang them a few months ago and they said there was no coverage in my location. A couple of weeks ago they rang to say the service was now available. I had them out today but they could only get 10mb speed and they would not install as 30mb is supposed to be the minimum speed. Lissycasey is in a valley and a hill blocks the signal. We have no fixed line service at all not even the eircom 2mb service. I currently have 3mobile and the services ranges between 1 and 6 but is usually about 2. It is a weak singal and doesnt work downstairs. Eircom are proposing to have fixed line fibre by h2 2017. I will believe it when i see it. The national broadband plan seems to be dead and only eircom is making any progress and this progress is so slow. Why havent the government got all the big players to work together. I live on a main road 10 miles from ennis. Providing broadband would not be too difficult. It seems to me that eir are more intersted in rebrandding and buying new vans that providing infrastructure. The rest of the companies only want to provide short term mobile broadband. The governments national broadband plan is a joke. Yet they will be looking to take credit for it. If i hear another muppet politician use the word connectivity i will email him a strongly worded letter that he might recieve by 2020.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If you knew anything about whats actually going on with the NBP you'd see that your post is horrendously incorrect. Its going to tender, its being done the correct way no the rushed way the NBS ans when it happens the groundwork has been laid for rapid progress.

/offtopic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

df_h wrote: »
    Abbeyknockmoy one? I wasn't around for while on this site being busy, but anyways its still holding up fine here, last 2 tests just there were above 80mbit
    my speed tests going back to July

@Morgana's tests on the previous page are cause for concern tho!

I haven't got one of the famed warning SMSes either, yet :D tho haven't exactly been making much use of internet either.

I would guess that, given a particular mast, if one of you is killed with contention at night and the other isn't, then you are on different sectors.

Think of the mast being in the centre of a pizza. The coverage is divided into slices. One of you is in one slice, the other in another. Each slice, or sector has a total capacity of 100Mbps according to the Huawei spec sheets for the base station.

So all customers in that sector must share 100Mbps. Assuming 400 customers per site and 3 sectors at build for each site (confirmed by a visual reccie) that is 133 customers per 100Mbps sector, or 0.75Mbps available per customer, worst case if all on at the same time (which never happens) but that illustrates how speeds *WILL* drop well into single figures at night

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,017 ✭✭✭tsue921i8wljb3

First full day with Imagine LTE and sorry to say I am seeing the evening slowdown that others are reporting. We came from the Imagine Breeze service which was pretty poor value at €55 a month for 3/3 Mbit so I did not mind upgrading. I had a Samknows box on the Breeze connection. I am going to run it on the LTE connection to monitor it (data usage depending). Here are the first few tests:

398996.PNG

398997.PNG

I'm on the Rathmore mast in Meath btw.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Thanks Navi for the graph. Nail in the coffin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

I think it's time for another "I wouldn't turn my nose up at 17.5 down" post.

Sure it's a big drop from 90 but anyone on this thread knows what there will be contention at peak.

Nobody here seems to have a viable alternative at the moment so this is kinda moot.

Sure it'd be fair if they maintained the speeds they were advertising but they're an ISP who have customers over a barrel for a limited window they're not the only ones at it.

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

ED E wrote: »
    If you knew anything about whats actually going on with the NBP you'd see that your post is horrendously incorrect. Its going to tender, its being done the correct way no the rushed way the NBS ans when it happens the groundwork has been laid for rapid progress.

/offtopic.

The NBS has gone to tender ages ago. I have followed the process for years. It is so slow moving because the government have been sitting on their hands on this waiting to see if private companies would do their work for them. The NBS has being downscalled because Eir have proposed to increase their coverage. You obviously are not affected by the NBS otherwise you would not be singing the governments praises. Irelands broadband infrastructure is embarrassing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,496 ✭✭✭✭guil

talkingpj wrote: »
    The NBS has gone to tender ages ago. I have followed the process for years. It is so slow moving because the government have been sitting on their hands on this waiting to see if private companies would do their work for them. The NBS has being downscalled because Eir have proposed to increase their coverage. You obviously are not affected by the NBS otherwise you would not be singing the governments praises. Irelands broadband infrastructure is embarrassing.
    You are so lost. NBS was done and dusted a few years ago. NBP is the current action.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,020 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

talkingpj wrote: »

The NBP is NOT ALLOWED to compete with commercial roll out, so the NBP MUST 'downscale' the roll out where there is now a commercial presence.
    Further, because the NBP is subject to EU oversight, they must get everything fully and properly prepared BEFORE they sign anything.

Having things change during preparations, such as eir's blue line strategy, is not helpful to smooth progress of preparations for issuing contracts.

So far, although there have been delays that are annoying, the plan is progressing along the correct lines, and should result in a proper service and not like that debacle that was NBS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭polaris68

Did anyone ever find out what the darker shade of orange represents on their coverage maps?

Better or worse coverage?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 664 ✭✭✭price690

Has anyone had installation carried out in athlone yet? Apparently it's live now but I've yet to hear any evidence of this other than the standand text.

I'm a customer of their old wimax service which stopped working about 6 weeks ago. They still charge 40euro a month by direct debit despite fact we don't receive any Internet now whatsoever.

After rightly kicking up a fuss about this and attempting to contact them multiple times over course of last 6 weeks (waiting on phone for up to 45 mins every time before hanging up or being immediately passed to another department necessitating another long wait) we finally got answers and have free installation and an initial discount on the LTE.

They also told us we would be priority installation due to switching us off without letting us know. We have since heard nothing unfortunately and they still debited our account again last week for the 40euro for the now defunct wimax service.

Customer service/tech support/account support is absolutely abysmal, I've seen it bad elsewhere but this is something else it really is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,945 ✭✭✭long_b

polaris68 wrote: »
    Did anyone ever find out what the darker shade of orange represents on their coverage maps?

Better or worse coverage?

I think it's overlapping coverage from more than one mast

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Well I'll be jumping up and down with joy if 17 or 18 is as low as it gets compared to the unstable 4 I'm getting now on the Eir copper wires

People shouldn't complain about those kind of speeds AT ALL
    The way I look at it is,if I can get it,it's a comfortable stopgap major improvement until the next improvements come along

By then ,some inevitably will be complaining that it's too slow at 80 or 90 down at night,God forbid

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

price690 wrote: »
    Has anyone had installation carried out in athlone yet? Apparently it's live now but I've yet to hear any evidence of this other than the standand text.

I'm a customer of their old wimax service which stopped working about 6 weeks ago. They still charge 40euro a month by direct debit despite fact we don't receive any Internet now whatsoever.

After rightly kicking up a fuss about this and attempting to contact them multiple times over course of last 6 weeks (waiting on phone for up to 45 mins every time before hanging up or being immediately passed to another department necessitating another long wait) we finally got answers and have free installation and an initial discount on the LTE.

They also told us we would be priority installation due to switching us off without letting us know. We have since heard nothing unfortunately and they still debited our account again last week for the 40euro for the now defunct wimax service.

Customer service/tech support/account support is absolutely abysmal, I've seen it bad elsewhere but this is something else it really is.

You can now do a chargeback on those direct debits and have all that money refunded
    It's totally unacceptable that.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 14,444 Mod ✭✭✭✭marno21

ED E wrote: »

/offtopic.
    Whilst Denis Naughton was talking last night on Prime Time, I had a quick read of the #rtept tweets. The ignorance about broadband in this country is shocking. So many people absolutely clueless. Most people think rolling out 1Gbit connectivity to 900k homes is as easy as 1,2,3.

Wait til this massive undertaking is completed and compare our infrastructure to that of the UK's

(Slightly OT - apologies)

price690 wrote: »

Why haven't you cancelled the DD - I would? It'll certainly get their attention.

Also as @ArKl0w points out, you can have your bank reverse the last few payments back to when you had a service.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Do you need a landline to avail of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Do you need a landline to avail of this?

No, it's a wireless service to the home.

Installation of a receiver on your roof, gable, etc. Modem installed in the house and connected to the receiver and then you have a service.

All provided that its available in your area and accessible from your location and can meet a minimum level of service for installation.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 885 ✭✭✭celticbhoy27

Tempted so. Tied in to contract for another few months but reckon my dsl line is ****ed. Wouldnt mind having two providers for the few months. Provided they wouldnt interfere with one another? Could always switch off the sky bb i guess

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,845 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

you can have your bank reverse the last few payments back to when you had a service.

You can get DD back as far as 8 weeks previous without any haggling, the bank have to do this regardless.

Then, depending on the bank, you can block the next DD without fully cancelling it (PTSB allow it through their online banking, don't know about the other banks).

You can try getting further than the 8 weeks previous back but that will get messy and time consuming.

One thing to note is that utility bills do not affect credit rating and since Imagine LTE is standalone it won't impact getting connected to other providers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,727 ✭✭✭amadablam

Tempted so. Tied in to contract for another few months but reckon my dsl line is ****ed. Wouldnt mind having two providers for the few months. Provided they wouldnt interfere with one another? Could always switch off the sky bb i guess

You shouldn't have any trouble with two services in the home if you don't mind it yourself.

If you are anything like me, the Imagine LTE service is better than anything available where I am, miles better, even on its bad days. Although I had a 50gb WiFi dongle from meteor which wasn't bad as a stopgap considering eir could only provide under 1mbps here and meteor was giving 10+ which shows the service from the lines here.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭Scruff

Waffleon wrote: »
    Hi all. I have a gemtek router (small black with two antenna and no markings). I assumed I was the only one with a hang up issue. Can anyone else confirm if their router looses the internet connection about once a week /fortnight. The only way I reset the connection is to unplug / replug in router power. On one occasion I had to repeat two or three times but in general once is enough to do this. It could be an issue with imagine doing updates or something but Id like to get to the bottom of it. Anyone else..?

yeah i'm experiencing the same thing for the last few weeks. i have it plugged into my own router and have its wifi turned off so all its providing is the internet connection. Internal network is fine but have unplug/replug to power to the gemtek router to re-establish internet connection.
    It seems to occur more frequently after i run some speed tests, its like the high burst load knocks it or the external antenna out of sync.
    Would love to be able to get rid of it altogether, dont use the voip so all its doing is being the POE for the external antenna and an extra layer of ****e in between.

Advertisement