Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Imagine LTE Rural Broadband

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,169 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Has anyone tried to MAC spoof the Gemteks address? Might be enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,247 ✭✭✭morgana

Scruff wrote: »
    It seems to occur more frequently after i run some speed tests, its like the high burst load knocks it or the external antenna out of sync.
    Would love to be able to get rid of it altogether, dont use the voip so all its doing is being the POE for the external antenna and an extra layer of ****e in between.

HAH! Yes I have the same issue, after running speed tests (or high initial download spike) the signal can be gone for a while. Sometimes it comes back by itself, but usually I'm too impatient to wait and unplug the Greenpack router.
    This may not happen for weeks and then a few times in a row.
    Btw, last night's peak time speeds were abysmal.

Attn. Mr Velo: Responded to your PM - you need to clear your stored messages :P

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,809 ✭✭✭Mr Velo

morgana wrote: »
    HAH! Yes I have the same issue, after running speed tests (or high initial download spike) the signal can be gone for a while. Sometimes it comes back by itself, but usually I'm too impatient to wait and unplug the Greenpack router.
    This may not happen for weeks and then a few times in a row.
    Btw, last night's peak time speeds were abysmal.

Attn. Mr Velo: Responded to your PM - you need to clear your stored messages :P

Thanks Morgana - storage cleared ;)
    Can you resend?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 48,253 ✭✭✭✭km79

After spending TWO HOURS watching a 40 minute show on 3 player im willing to take my chances on this now if they ever get the mast up and running

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Pretty sure It won't work for me unless I spend a week cutting trees
    If it doesn't,might try whizzy internet as there are no trees blocking 2 of their masts both of which I can see

Anyone know anything about them? They're not as fast by a long shot but faster than what I have and cheap €25 a month for 5mb down one up for their basic

Got the text from imagine there saying mast up near croghan mtn is going live on Monday and to expect a call to arrange install
    We'll get them out anyway and see

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 Brannaman

Can someone please explain why my test plummet and climb almost vertically within minutes? I cannot post but 4 tests run between 20.43 and 20.46 showed speeds as 3.07, 22.87, 13.00 and 54.69. The servers were Dublin, Shannon, Shannon and Waterford.
    How do I figure a correct speed?

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭talkingpj

marno21 wrote: »
    ED E wrote: »
    If you knew anything about whats actually going on with the NBP you'd see that your post is horrendously incorrect. Its going to tender, its being done the correct way no the rushed way the NBS ans when it happens the groundwork has been laid for rapid progress.

/offtopic.
    Whilst Denis Naughton was talking last night on Prime Time, I had a quick read of the #rtept tweets. The ignorance about broadband in this country is shocking. So many people absolutely clueless. Most people think rolling out 1Gbit connectivity to 900k homes is as easy as 1,2,3.

Wait til this massive undertaking is completed and compare our infrastructure to that of the UK's

(Slightly OT - apologies)

The Irish government ignored all the advice given 10 years ago that fibre was the future of broadband. They have spent millions on rubbish inatitives like the NBS and the tender process for the NBP is a joke. They have spent 10 years spending millions on consultants and task forces. No one said it is easy to roll out broadband in very remote areas. But anywhere on a national road in an urban area should have some level of fixed line broadband years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 779 ✭✭✭editorsean

Brannaman wrote: »
    Can someone please explain why my test plummet and climb almost vertically within minutes? I cannot post but 4 tests run between 20.43 and 20.46 showed speeds as 3.07, 22.87, 13.00 and 54.69. The servers were Dublin, Shannon, Shannon and Waterford.
    Try starting a download of one of the ISO files from this link on Heanet. They have 10Gbps connections and their traffic graphs typically show below 10% utilisation, so any bottleneck is unlikely at their end.

With the download in progress, bring up the Windows task manager (Shift + Ctrl + ESC), go into the 'Performance' tab and select 'Ethernet'.

This will show you are actual download throughput in realtime as the download runs and the current Receive rate in Mbps.

If you are using Windows 7 (which doesn't have this graph), you can get a network throughput graph by going into Control panel -> Administrative Tools -> Resource Meter, then select the 'Network' tab.

Brannaman wrote: »

Because you're sharing a 100Mb sector, which is really only a 70 or 80Mb sector, so if 4 neighbours go on youtube you move from ferrari to punto in 3 seconds flat. It'll be erratic once they fill each sector.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 16,724 Mod ✭✭✭✭yop

Its falling apart for them now as they have loaded the "share". Advertising 70 megs when its never going to be when capacity fills is wrong.

• Advertisement

Akamai says it is working with device vendors to improve their SSH implementation and cites the network video recorder maker NUUO, the satellite antenna maker Intellian, the WiMax router maker Green Packet, the hotspot maker Ruckus, and the network-attached storage device maker Synology as companies that sell one or more products in which it detected SSH flaws.
    http://bit.ly/2e6HDWh

SSH Flaw in greenpacket devices used for DDOSing FYI.

• Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

ED E wrote: »
    http://bit.ly/2e6HDWh

SSH Flaw in greenpacket devices used for DDOSing FYI.

Since we dont have access to them (i posted while back greenpacket ones have ssh service running) will imagine remote patch these or will they let these be used in attacks and then blame us and/or say bandwidth is used up?

aside: Just done a test and speed is 53mbit

• Registered Users Posts: 21 crazy2

Trying to post images of recent speed tests but it won't allow me.
    Since getting imagine on 11th October haven't had a consistent speed or over 30mbps.

date/ time download upload ping
    11/10 18:00 30.51 2.06 16
    12/10 19:47 11.27 1.97 23
    12/10 23:46 13.49 3.20 18
    14/10 17:31 10:69 2.42 19
    14/10 20:58 4.12 2.39 25
    14/10 20:59 16.15 2.31 32
    14/10 21:01 20.36 2.30 31
    14/10 21:02 12.15 2.28 27
    14/10 21:16 3.49 2.51 21

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭TopTec

What masts are yer all on?

TT

• Registered Users Posts: 21 crazy2

Mount oriel in louth

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭Wing126

Imagine replied to my email (that I sent a week ago) about speeds being so low and they pretty much fobbed me off saying they could never guarantee speeds would stay above thirty and that I must have misunderstood the installers and the sales rep who told me this.

I dunno what to do, the speeds are much better than eir and I'm not on their blue line for fibre installation within the next few years. But I can't abide this level of customer service. Still within the 14 days to cancel so I need to have a good think about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

At the end of the day, you're only spiting yourself if you cancel and go to a slower service.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭emm80

Noticed today that the 4-5 signs that were placed up around my area for" IMAGINE LTE in this area "have all been I presume, taken down? Anyone seen this before, does it mean that they have their numbers for that mast(very unlikely I know ) or something more troubling? Weird.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

emm80 wrote: »
    Noticed today that the 4-5 signs that were placed up around my area for" IMAGINE LTE in this area "have all been I presume, taken down? Anyone seen this before, does it mean that they have their numbers for that mast(very unlikely I know ) or something more troubling? Weird.

Probably told by the co. co. to stop littering. :D

Wing126 wrote: »
    Imagine replied to my email (that I sent a week ago) about speeds being so low and they pretty much fobbed me off saying they could never guarantee speeds would stay above thirty and that I must have misunderstood the installers and the sales rep who told me this.

Wing. Any chance you could post that response on here.... I would also like to put it on their facebook page as they are not being entirely up front with their marketing and this response would go some way in balancing that.

TT

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 85 ✭✭df_h

Yeh definite deterioration in speeds at peak hours (SE of Abbeyknockmoy mast)

http://www.speedtest.net/results.php?sh=c97693cb25f42f9b316193caa3291d9d&ria=0

about 25 mbit there now, 80 or so offpeak , used to be 70-80 all time

xbox live is fine havent noticed any issues, and i have ssh connections remaining connected 24x7 without disconnections so pings are still good, watching netflix and "android" streams in 1080 and 720 with no issues either so far

hopefully doesn't fall into single digits.. that would suck

edit: did another @ 11 mbit :D, upload is same 7mbit so its congestion

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,508 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

TopTec wrote: »
    Wing. Any chance you could post that response on here.... I would also like to put it on their facebook page as they are not being entirely up front with their marketing and this response would go some way in balancing that.

TT

What's your speed dropped down to at peak these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

OK, so the congestion is now showing....though hard to blame imagine trying to get some of their investment back by over subscribing after being screwd by the NBs. Only saying that because in my humble opinion they were the only ones giving rural people a chance at some decent broadband. I agree....liers...sh*t cs....at times....but at least they tried....did anyone really expect no contention....really... So now I have a choice...stick with imagine...whose service is bound to get worse..no better, or revert back to a great ISP called Airwave....slower speeds of 14meg, but great service and excellent cs... I'll wait a while I guess..

Waffleon wrote: »
    after being screwd by the NBs.

Plain not true.

Just tested now and it is down to 3.32 meg down, 8.10 up. Worst it's ever been. Mail to CS tomorrow.

http://www.speedtest.net/my-result/5720311973

Was at 50meg this morning. TBH until they really hack me off I will stay with them as my only real alternative was a sh1tty Eircom line. Having said that it does annoy me they are not being honest when most people contact them.

If I had a 14 meg service I would of stayed with that.

TT

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,062 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

after being screwd by the NBs.

Three won the NBS fair and square :rolleyes:. Though I presume you are referring to the NBP.

They never offered a solution that would deliver for increasing demand over the full 25 years of the contract. Wireless simply can't do what is actually needed to deliver a robust and scalable answer to our needs. Well not unless each home gets an LTE mast of it's own!!! :p Can you imagine the cost (pun intended).

The ONLY solution that could is Fibre, plain and simple.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,907 ✭✭✭✭Kristopherus

Did anyone, who's experiencing a drop in speeds, tackle Imagine about it on their Facebook page?

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭9726_9726

OK, so the congestion is now showing....though hard to blame imagine trying to get some of their investment back by over subscribing after being screwd by the NBs. Only saying that because in my humble opinion they were the only ones giving rural people a chance at some decent broadband. I agree....liers...sh*t cs....at times....but at least they tried....did anyone really expect no contention....really... So now I have a choice...stick with imagine...whose service is bound to get worse..no better, or revert back to a great ISP called Airwave....slower speeds of 14meg, but great service and excellent cs... I'll wait a while I guess..

Now, now. Since when does offering up a solution that doesn't remotely qualify you to meet a tender process, then being excluded, constitute being screwed?

Also, all companies are there to get their investments back, it's their entire reason for existence, but marketing something you can't deliver is just immoral and plain wrong. And as for at least they tried, people are giving them €1,230 of their hard earned cash. Surely honesty would be a start.

Did anyone, who's experiencing a drop in speeds, tackle Imagine about it on their Facebook page?

Their FB page is just their PR rep talking to themself :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 48 Waffleon

Just a rant lads.... Did you honestly expect better from imagine....jeezzzz...just google their wimax sh@t. I'm not on their side but really....getting on to cs about a contention issue....what do you expect them to tell you besides lies and marketing sh@t. I had an idea this might happen when I signed up, took a chance, a little disappointed but not that surprised... The only reason I was disappointed is because it COULD have been the answer for thousands of us...so promising...but after being rejected by the NBP could you blame them for over subscribing before the spectrum goes for auction next year...?? Enjoy the high speeds off peak....get used to the sh@t speeds at peak...simples....

Advertisement